PDA

View Full Version : You can now change your own username

Slyfox696
02-25-2018, 12:27 PM
I just installed another mod into the forum. This one allows users to change their own username, without having to request an Administrator to do it. Here are the system restricted guidelines (in other words, you can only change your username once you meet these standards):

1. You must have a minimum of 50 posts on the forum. Once you reach 50 posts, this requirement should be satisfied for all future name changes (and, if not, I'll fix it so it is). This is similar to how it was done on WZ.
2. You can only change your username once every 120 days (~ four months). I know this is longer than on WZ, but since users can do it without requesting, there's less notice that posters are changing their name 7 days. I am, however, VERY open to discussing this limit and changing it if the community desires.
3. You can change your name an infinite amount of times, so long as conditions 1 and 2 are met.
4. Your username can be a max length of 25 characters. This is the forum default.

In order to change your username, click "Settings" in the top right corner of your screen. Once in the Settings screen, on the left side of the screen, find "Edit Profile" and click on it. After you click on "Edit Profile", the option to change your username is the second option. Type in exactly what you want (any mistakes are your fault and likely will not be corrected by an Administrator) and then press "Save Changes" at the bottom.

Additionally, if poster's are going to be changing their usernames, it is helpful to know who they once were. To view a user's username history, simply go to the poster's profile by clicking on their name anywhere on the forums. If they have changed their username, there will be a tab on their profile, after "Post Thanks/Lie" which lists their username history. It should keep the last ten usernames of the poster.

Enjoy!

PS: And if you want to discuss the length of time between username changes, do it in this thread. Thanks!

Sully
02-25-2018, 02:17 PM
Time limit makes sense to me. What was the old one, three months? I think being able to change it yourself is worth the extra month wait.

If I recall from my time on WZ, it sometimes took a couple weeks before requests were done in bulk anyway, as is the same on most other forums. I personally like a singular username and keeping it that way. Those who change it so often make it hard for me to keep track of who they are.

Slyfox696
02-25-2018, 03:47 PM
I've been convinced to lessen the time between name changes from 120 days to 7. So, there you go.

Dave
02-25-2018, 03:58 PM
That's a mighty big fall. From 120 days to 7. I like it though. Thanks again, boss man.

Slyfox696
02-25-2018, 04:02 PM
That's a mighty big fall. From 120 days to 7. I like it though. Thanks again, boss man.I did it for...the community.

https://ringthedamnbell.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/5qtx3us.jpg

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
02-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Time limit makes sense to me. What was the old one, three months? I think being able to change it yourself is worth the extra month wait.

If I recall from my time on WZ, it sometimes took a couple weeks before requests were done in bulk anyway, as is the same on most other forums. I personally like a singular username and keeping it that way. Those who change it so often make it hard for me to keep track of who they are.

I find it odd people seem to attach so much value to "keeping track " of everyone

What does it matter? A post is a post

jmt225
02-25-2018, 05:46 PM
I find it odd people seem to attach so much value to "keeping track " of everyone

What does it matter? A post is a post

Well when I see your name and avatar, I think of Norcal.

But you don't talk like Norcal. So I'm curious who you were on WZ.

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
02-25-2018, 05:49 PM
But you don't talk like Norcal. So I'm curious who you were on WZ.

Well that's odd. I feel like I still talk like me

jmt225
02-25-2018, 05:52 PM
Well that's odd. I feel like I still talk like me

Haha... IDK, I would have never thought you'd step away from the Mighty Norcal moniker. That's what confused me I guess.

I was wondering where you were though, so I'm very glad to know this is you and that you're around :)

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
02-25-2018, 05:55 PM
OH I'm more than around. One might call me a founding father.

Storm Trooper
11-04-2019, 07:39 AM
So I'm bumping a year old thread... sorry.

I just went to change my username back to what it was. It does not let me change it back to what I joined at, saying it is taken. But when I search for my old name it is not taken. Not a big deal as I changed it to something identical (no more space between the 2 words).

#AbsoluteUnit
11-04-2019, 08:18 AM
I tried this also with #MrScissorsKick, and it wouldn't let me.

BestSportsEntertainer
11-04-2019, 08:22 AM
Kayfabe - Once you go evil, you can never go back to being your old self.

Slyfox696
11-04-2019, 01:35 PM
So I'm bumping a year old thread... sorry.

I just went to change my username back to what it was. It does not let me change it back to what I joined at, saying it is taken. But when I search for my old name it is not taken. Not a big deal as I changed it to something identical (no more space between the 2 words).
I've changed it manually for you. I'm not sure why the mod is prohibiting, I'm not seeing any setting to suggest it would.

I tried this also with #MrScissorsKick, and it wouldn't let me.Would you like #MrScissorsKick again?

BestSportsEntertainer
11-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Can you change mine to BestSportsEntertainer again?

klunderbunker
11-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Can you change mine to BestSportsEntertainer again?

Yep.

#AbsoluteUnit
11-04-2019, 07:04 PM
I've changed it manually for you. I'm not sure why the mod is prohibiting, I'm not seeing any setting to suggest it would.
Would you like #MrScissorsKick again?

I'm good, thanks.