PDA

View Full Version : Music Discussion

Awesome_Miz
02-25-2018, 10:07 PM
I'm actually a bit surprised this thread hasn't been started yet. But no matter let's have some musical discussion going as we may learn of some new unknown artist(s).

One of my personal favorite songs that I can't but sing along to is Riptide by Vance Joy. To me personally it has a rhythm to it and it takes me back to my high school days when it came out. Don't know if any of you have heard it before or not, but you should check it out as the lyrics are quite creative.

Talking about creative lyrics one of my favorite singer is Niall Horan. I had listened to him when he was in One Direction and I'll admit it felt like he brought almost nothing to the group. However, now he has shown that he was laying down low and took notes from the producers as he had the most personal input in his solo album and the lyrics are quite good. And he learned how to blend his vocals along with the background guitars or piano. You should listen to his work, so you could listen yourself and be the judge, but he will not disappoint.

So, what are your guys favorite artist, band, writer, etc.? Or also the worst, so we could avoid that artist(s). So, go ahead and discuss away the music world with each other.

SSJPhenom
02-25-2018, 11:20 PM
When it comes to music for me, I'm kind of an old soul. That's because my parents would always play older songs when I was a kid. You'd have my Dad playing old school R&B and the Blues and my Mom would play old school rock, country, etc. As a result of that, I would become fans of artists that actually had talent. I hate listening to artist's records and then to see a performance from that artist and they can't sing, dance, play any instruments or anything. They were just a pretty face that could be marketed. So I never really got behind today's artists. Not saying that they don't have talent but the majority of them just seem to want to be the next meme or viral video or something.

I said that to lead into this: Last year, for my fiancee's birthday, I got her tickets for her favorite artist who was in town, Bruno Mars. Now, I'd have to be living under a rock to not know who Bruno Mars was and living with my fiancee, I was more than familiar with the majority of his music. Still, though, I wasn't a fan. Until we went to that concert that is. That man is talented with a capital T. He sings better live than any other artist I've seen live, he can play just about every instrument in his band, and he can dance. Best concert I've been to since I seen Prince live. So, as far as new music goes, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't listen to Bruno Mars. Especially if you're one that appreciates actual talent and skill.

Black Anaconda Vise
02-26-2018, 05:47 PM
Talking about creative lyrics one of my favorite singer is Niall Horan. I had listened to him when he was in One Direction and I'll admit it felt like he brought almost nothing to the group. However, now he has shown that he was laying down low and took notes from the producers as he had the most personal input in his solo album and the lyrics are quite good. And he learned how to blend his vocals along with the background guitars or piano. You should listen to his work, so you could listen yourself and be the judge, but he will not disappoint.I saw his album on Apple Music when it first came out and was curious so I decided to give it a listen and I thought it was pretty good. On The Loose is a fun poppy song and I also really like Seeing Blind, Paper Houses, and Mirrors. Harryâ??s album isnâ??t half bad either.

I usually just listen to rap right now. Iâ??m studying music education next year and Iâ??m involved in various music activities right now so I play and listen to a lot of orchestral music in class, so I just like to listen to something different in the car since thatâ??s the only time I actually casually listen to music.

Dave
02-27-2018, 05:20 AM
I recently got Spotify Premium and its been an eye opening experience. I didn't think I'd ever sign up but I was given a discount by my cousin and she highly recommended it. Thus far, I'm really loving it. The option to download full albums in seconds has been really good for me and saves me clogging up my phone with music files.

I'm going to support my fiends band this Friday and am really looking forward to it. I've been to see them numerous times before but they have their first album coming out soon and, more amazingly, have been selected to play South by South West in a couple of weeks time. For a band from a tiny town in Scotland, that's an amazing accomplishment. If you listen to rock music with a bit of punk thrown in, I'd definitely recommend them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=spiWtArCoYM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i_QB0fa1yyw

Awesome_Miz
02-28-2018, 05:20 PM
I saw his album on Apple Music when it first came out and was curious so I decided to give it a listen and I thought it was pretty good. On The Loose is a fun poppy song and I also really like Seeing Blind, Paper Houses, and Mirrors. HarryÃ?â??s album isnÃ?â??t half bad either.

I usually just listen to rap right now. IÃ?â??m studying music education next year and IÃ?â??m involved in various music activities right now so I play and listen to a lot of orchestral music in class, so I just like to listen to something different in the car since thatÃ?â??s the only time I actually casually listen to music.

Yeah I'll admit Harry's album is pretty good, but why Niall's album won me over was due to Niall being more involved with the album and having a little less writers and producers helping than that of Harry(who in defense needed the help due to being busy filming Dunkirk). No matter what I feel as unlike most boy bands this former boy band will have two top prospects and will be these two as they clearly know their genre and how to perform for today's people.

I recently got Spotify Premium and its been an eye opening experience. I didn't think I'd ever sign up but I was given a discount by my cousin and she highly recommended it. Thus far, I'm really loving it. The option to download full albums in seconds has been really good for me and saves me clogging up my phone with music files.

I'm going to support my fiends band this Friday and am really looking forward to it. I've been to see them numerous times before but they have their first album coming out soon and, more amazingly, have been selected to play South by South West in a couple of weeks time. For a band from a tiny town in Scotland, that's an amazing accomplishment. If you listen to rock music with a bit of punk thrown in, I'd definitely recommend them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=spiWtArCoYM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i_QB0fa1yyw

Oh man Spotify Premium is one of the best things ever as we could listen to many classics and also find something new in music is pretty amazing. I simply can't live without it.

And I took a listen to your friends band and I will I'm not too heavy into rock-punk music this was actually a good listen. Especially the first song was easily my favorite. Don't know if you put it first for that reason or not, but rather good nonetheless. Hope for the best for them and hopefully they perform quite well in the event.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-02-2018, 12:26 PM
Mo-Town is basically my main vibe for music. I was born and grew up in Detroit, so many artists in the Mo-Town era have always stuck with me through the years. I dig early 90's to mid 2000's rap. Anything past that is not a bid deal to me. Big fan of 02-10 Alternative rock, but again, nothing past that. I'm a huge fan of The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC and The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Jack-Hammer
03-02-2018, 03:05 PM
I tend to like older artists or music that's more of an older style.

Rock: AC/DC, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Eric Clapton, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, John Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan

Country: Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Zac Brown Band, Alan Jackson, Chris Stapleton, Hank Williams, Jr., Steve Earle, Randy Travis

Blues: B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughn

There's probably more, but these are the ones I probably listen to the most.

With modern stuff, there's just no real heart or talent to it and everyone tries to sound the same with the same formulaic approach. That's especially true when it comes to country music or, as I sometimes refer to it, redneck pop.

BaconBits
03-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Music has been a huge part of my life, considering my dad is a musician (trombone, bass, piano). He plays mostly jazz and soul but he was always looking out for inspiration in all sorts of music, so the music playing in the house when I was kid was pretty varied. I have stuff from jazz to Celtic folk music and everything in between. Out of the music I do have, though, I’d say the majority of it is heavier rock music and metal these days. The last couple days my commutes have been mostly a rotation of Parkway Drive, Machine Head and Mastodon.

Spidey
03-02-2018, 06:21 PM
You know, Classic Rock and the like was considered garbage by the generation that wasn't accustomed to it either. Food for thought.

I love 80s/90s music, even the stuff I know is terrible. Like the majority of you, I grew up around that sound so of course it's a nostalgic feeling when I hear it played. That and lately it's been popular to incorporate said music into shows. Stranger Things and GLOW are obviously meant to look 80s, so there's gonna be 80s music in it (even real people were jamming to 70s and 60s hits too). Money is in the rose tinted glasses.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
03-02-2018, 06:26 PM
80s, Classic Rock, 90s, 70's, 60s. Pretty much in that order. I listen to pretty much everything though, rap, pop, ambient sounds to fall asleep at night, instrumental stuff, show tunes, movie themes, even The Duck Song (Played nonstop when my god kid was little) that I've never been able to get out of my head.

'Ravishing' Ned Flanders
03-02-2018, 06:41 PM
I love any and everything 80s with a small bit of early 90s country.

It's what i grew up and i still love it to this day.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-04-2018, 06:55 PM
https://youtu.be/ZjTjed3jSXM

One of my favorite songs. Nonpoint "Alive and Kicking"

Smally
03-05-2018, 02:53 AM
Mainly listen to rock music and all that entails. Going to see At The Drive-In next week which should be brilliant. Theyâ??re supported by Death From Above which is a nice bonus

Alex
03-07-2018, 05:43 AM
Started listening to Light The Torch the band with Howard Jones who used to be in Killswitch Engage. It's really good. If you're into Howard era Killswitch give it a listen

Fallout
03-09-2018, 02:53 PM
So Judas Priest just released their new album called Firepower...and I've been hearing it's their best album since Painkiller.

I don't think they're wrong.

Ty Burna
03-10-2018, 10:03 PM
Well let's see.

1. Hip Hop - Started listening to hip hop when I was in the 3rd grade. MTV Jams opened my eyes to the genre and it's been a love affair since then. I'm mostly in that 90's to early 2000 hip hop but I have gone down the rabbit hole for all different types of rap. Kind of fancy myself as a hip hop historian/connoisseur.

2. Metal - FUCKING SLAYER. But nah really I could list off more subgenres of metal than what really needs to exist. I got into the punk rock and metal scene in high school with my crew of friends, everything from black metal, thrash, doom, opera metal, djent, and just about every subgenre in between. My moshing days are over, but I still go to local metal shows when they're going on.

3. Hardcore/Screamo/etc. - Not quite as heavy as metal, but still some outstanding bands out there that I really enjoy to this day. Saosin, Circa Survive, Beloved, Underoath, Anberlin, Dead Poetic, Pg. 99, Saetia, I could keep listing bands for days.

4. EDM - I enjoy certain genres of EDM. Usually Trap is the one I listen to the most. I'm not a die hard in this genre, there's a good amount of songs that got stellar beats that hit hard on the system.

5. R&B - Kind of goes with hip hop above, but I do enjoy some sultry vocals over a smooth bassline.

Yaz
03-10-2018, 11:39 PM
Well let's see.

1. Hip Hop - Started listening to hip hop when I was in the 3rd grade. MTV Jams opened my eyes to the genre and it's been a love affair since then. I'm mostly in that 90's to early 2000 hip hop but I have gone down the rabbit hole for all different types of rap. Kind of fancy myself as a hip hop historian/connoisseur.

2. Metal - FUCKING SLAYER. But nah really I could list off more subgenres of metal than what really needs to exist. I got into the punk rock and metal scene in high school with my crew of friends, everything from black metal, thrash, doom, opera metal, djent, and just about every subgenre in between. My moshing days are over, but I still go to local metal shows when they're going on.

3. Hardcore/Screamo/etc. - Not quite as heavy as metal, but still some outstanding bands out there that I really enjoy to this day. Saosin, Circa Survive, Beloved, Underoath, Anberlin, Dead Poetic, Pg. 99, Saetia, I could keep listing bands for days.

4. EDM - I enjoy certain genres of EDM. Usually Trap is the one I listen to the most. I'm not a die hard in this genre, there's a good amount of songs that got stellar beats that hit hard on the system.

5. R&B - Kind of goes with hip hop above, but I do enjoy some sultry vocals over a smooth bassline.

You know, I am surprised by some of those bands listed along with number three. When I was a teenager, Circa Survive was one of my jams. Anthony Green, the talent of that ma. I think it speaks volumes that once he left Saosin to form Circa, Saosin sort of turned into another run of the mill screamo band.

I was never big into straight screaming myself, aside from Alexisonfire, but I listened to a lot of stuff most people would consider post-hardcore. Fall of Troy, Glassjaw, Thursday, Senses Fail, At the Drive-In.

Ty Burna
03-11-2018, 12:07 AM
You know, I am surprised by some of those bands listed along with number three. When I was a teenager, Circa Survive was one of my jams. Anthony Green, the talent of that ma. I think it speaks volumes that once he left Saosin to form Circa, Saosin sort of turned into another run of the mill screamo band.

I was never big into straight screaming myself, aside from Alexisonfire, but I listened to a lot of stuff most people would consider post-hardcore. Fall of Troy, Glassjaw, Thursday, Senses Fail, At the Drive-In.

Funny you mention that, Anthony Green is back with Saosin and they actually released a new album back in 2016. I found that out like a month ago, somehow I completely missed that news. As for the bands I listed, I honestly have probably forgotten more bands that I had in my collection than I remember anymore. One group I was really big on too was Hopesfall as well as Poison the Well.

Strictly screaming vocals I'm still cool with. When you listen to the heavier metal like I do, screaming/growling just comes second nature anymore. I will fully admit to being a complete sucker for clean female vocals.

jmt225
03-11-2018, 04:18 PM
What hip-hop are you listening to these days, Ty?

Ty Burna
03-11-2018, 04:57 PM
What hip-hop are you listening to these days, Ty?

Usually my tried and true playlist, but I've been really getting into Freddie Gibbs lately. I know I'm a few years late for that party, but god damn the dude's good. Big K.R.I.T. is heavy on the regular rotation as well. Kendrick because of course. Dave East is one that's getting slept on a bit. He's a Nas protege and he's got some stellar tracks.

Not much new shit unfortunately. I've poured through Spotify's music discovery shit and all these mumble rappers all sound the god damn same. Future may be the only mumble rapper I can stand. All their beats sound the god damn same too, slow as fuck and only really focusing on the bass. Like after a session of trying to listen to this new blood I gotta go throw some Mac Dre on just to bring my levels back up. I'll take a Lil Wayne track over them at this point. And you know my dislike for Wayne runs fairly deep.

jmt225
03-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Usually my tried and true playlist, but I've been really getting into Freddie Gibbs lately. I know I'm a few years late for that party, but god damn the dude's good. Big K.R.I.T. is heavy on the regular rotation as well. Kendrick because of course. Dave East is one that's getting slept on a bit. He's a Nas protege and he's got some stellar tracks.

Not much new shit unfortunately. I've poured through Spotify's music discovery shit and all these mumble rappers all sound the god damn same. Future may be the only mumble rapper I can stand. All their beats sound the god damn same too, slow as fuck and only really focusing on the bass. Like after a session of trying to listen to this new blood I gotta go throw some Mac Dre on just to bring my levels back up. I'll take a Lil Wayne track over them at this point. And you know my dislike for Wayne runs fairly deep.

Haha... I knew I'd get a Joe Budden hip-hop head like response from you :)

Freddie Gibbs is cool. I have a good friend who is a massive fan of his. I like more uptempo stuff so I don't rock with him too much but I definitely get the appeal.

I feel you 100% on the mumble rap, haha. I love good trap beats though, even if most do sound the same.

I'd like to recommend someone to you though if you don't mind. This kid out of Brooklyn named VI Seconds.

He's into a bunch of nerdy shit like us but mixes it in with gangsta rap. I really, really love his stuff.

In fact, there's an entire crew of "Pokemon" rappers that I bet you'd enjoy (Shofu, CTC, Gee Yee, etc.). Geek rap is hitting hard these days lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NB-C6VvO68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWd0hCqcqLg

GuyCompton
03-19-2018, 05:54 PM
I've been on a kick where in between listening to a lot of country at work, I switch it up with Hip Hop every now and then. I don't know what it is but that and stupid EDM gets me laser focused. I hadn't listened to A$AP Rocky's Long Live A$AP in ages, but did so today and that album is still an absolute banger, so underrated. Near the end of the album, it peaks with three excellent songs in a row with Fuckin Problems, Wild for the Night, and 1Train... That is a solid three track run in a row that almost rivals the best of any recent Drake or Kendrick album.

JGlass
03-21-2018, 09:13 AM
I was thinking about the best hip-hop duos of all time today, and so far I've come up with these 4. Keep in mind, I'm talking about HOF level hip-hop duos today, so while I'm sure there are some other really great duos, I'm not sure how many others make the list.

Right off the bat you have Public Enemy. I know Chuck D had a DJ, and Flavor Flav really didn't contribute much to the group lyrically, you can't deny that if you say Public Enemy, most people would know exactly who you're talking about.

I think one of the other most obvious ones is Dre and Snoop. It's just assumed that when one raps, the other one is going to show up eventually. What I think is slightly less obvious, but has produced probably just as many hits as Dre and Snoop is Dre and Eminem. Everyone knows that Dre discovered Eminem, or at least helped him blow up the way he did, and Eminem has never been shy about sticking by Dre through thick and thin in return. Unlike Dre and Snoop, I think Dre and Eminem are equal talents, so magic happens whenever they get together.

Another clear first ballot Hall of Famer is Outkast. Andre 3000 is one of the sharpest minds in hip-hop history in my opinion, and while Big Boi is often remembered as the less talented of the two, he's a fantastic rapper in his own right. Stankonia is one of the best rap albums of all time, and THE best album to come out of the entire South, if not ATL. They remain one of the most uniquely talented rap acts of all time, and I'm happy to hear they occasionally perform together, I'd love to see them live some day.

This may be my most controversial pick, but I think Jay Z and Kanye are clearly HOF material. Kanye provided Jay Z with a lot of great beats before they made Watch the Throne together. Watch the Throne is a phenomenal album combining a certain level of introspection with FUCKING. BANGERS. That album alone I think puts them in the conversation, and their years of work prior on a song by song basis puts them over the top.

After that, I'm not sure there's anybody I can come up with that's a clear cut all-time great. I personally want to say Run The Jewels, Raekwon and Ghostface, and MF Doom and Madlib, but I think I might be personally biased there.

So I guess to sum up my post, my Mount Rushmore of hip-hop duos is...
1) Public Enemy
2) Dre and Snoop (with Eminem's face carved onto the mole on Dre's upper lip, I think he'd be honored right?)
3) OutKast
4) Jay Z and Kanye

Change my mind.

Big Nick Dudley
03-21-2018, 10:25 AM
I was thinking about the best hip-hop duos of all time today, and so far I've come up with these 4. Keep in mind, I'm talking about HOF level hip-hop duos today, so while I'm sure there are some other really great duos, I'm not sure how many others make the list.

Right off the bat you have Public Enemy. I know Chuck D had a DJ, and Flavor Flav really didn't contribute much to the group lyrically, you can't deny that if you say Public Enemy, most people would know exactly who you're talking about.

I think one of the other most obvious ones is Dre and Snoop. It's just assumed that when one raps, the other one is going to show up eventually. What I think is slightly less obvious, but has produced probably just as many hits as Dre and Snoop is Dre and Eminem. Everyone knows that Dre discovered Eminem, or at least helped him blow up the way he did, and Eminem has never been shy about sticking by Dre through thick and thin in return. Unlike Dre and Snoop, I think Dre and Eminem are equal talents, so magic happens whenever they get together.

Another clear first ballot Hall of Famer is Outkast. Andre 3000 is one of the sharpest minds in hip-hop history in my opinion, and while Big Boi is often remembered as the less talented of the two, he's a fantastic rapper in his own right. Stankonia is one of the best rap albums of all time, and THE best album to come out of the entire South, if not ATL. They remain one of the most uniquely talented rap acts of all time, and I'm happy to hear they occasionally perform together, I'd love to see them live some day.

This may be my most controversial pick, but I think Jay Z and Kanye are clearly HOF material. Kanye provided Jay Z with a lot of great beats before they made Watch the Throne together. Watch the Throne is a phenomenal album combining a certain level of introspection with FUCKING. BANGERS. That album alone I think puts them in the conversation, and their years of work prior on a song by song basis puts them over the top.

After that, I'm not sure there's anybody I can come up with that's a clear cut all-time great. I personally want to say Run The Jewels, Raekwon and Ghostface, and MF Doom and Madlib, but I think I might be personally biased there.

So I guess to sum up my post, my Mount Rushmore of hip-hop duos is...
1) Public Enemy
2) Dre and Snoop (with Eminem's face carved onto the mole on Dre's upper lip, I think he'd be honored right?)
3) OutKast
4) Jay Z and Kanye

Change my mind.

Eminem and Dr. Dre as well.... which you mentioned. I prefer Eminem/Dre to Snoop, but both were great.

jmt225
03-21-2018, 03:41 PM
Being from the south, I'm more impartial to UGK, Boosie & Webbie, 8Ball & MJG, and Clipse.

Remaining unbiased, I definitely think UGK is a top 3 rap duo of all time. They are LEGENDS in the genre. The influence they had on southern hip-hop cannot be overstated.

Also, Mobb Deep is top 3 as well, perhaps battling only Outkast for that #1 spot. I'm not a huge fan of Mobb Deep because I don't like the majority of East Coast beats, but I highly respect and recognize what they did for the NY hip-hop scene.

Plus, Shook Ones Part 2 may be the best rap duo song ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NUX4tW5pps