PDA

View Full Version : The Ad Bot Situation

klunderbunker
07-28-2019, 08:21 PM
As you've probably seen, we've been absolutely infested with bots this week. I've been going through and cleaning them up on my own as well as I can but it's fighting an uphill battle. Since Sly hasn't been around, I've had to figure it out myself and I really don't know what I'm doing. However, I think I've figured something out and HOPEFULLY (heavy emphasis), the worst should be over. There will still be some popping up but I think I've cut off most of them. I'll be keeping an eye on things and hopefully there aren't any more showing up.

I'm sorry for all the trouble and please bear with us.

KB

smarkmouth
07-28-2019, 08:34 PM
Hey, not your fault dude, only so much you can do.

Any way to instantly block anyone who tries to enter an AOL handle or ICQ number? I feel like leaving those as options was a rib by the software developers, but either way the bots seem to want to chat with us on those obsolete platforms.

klunderbunker
07-28-2019, 08:37 PM
Not that I know of. I'm really not a tech guy so I don't know how to do a lot of stuff like that.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
07-28-2019, 08:54 PM
Or temporarily block hyperlinks so the bots can't post anything.

BestSportsEntertainer
07-28-2019, 09:03 PM
No worries. It's not that big of a deal.

klunderbunker
07-28-2019, 11:11 PM
Or temporarily block hyperlinks so the bots can't post anything.

No idea how.

Ty Burna
07-30-2019, 12:42 PM
Sounds like you need a tech guy on staff ;)

klunderbunker
07-30-2019, 08:36 PM
Sounds like you need a tech guy on staff ;)

Indeed. Or for Sly to ANSWER HIS MESSAGES.

Slyfox696
10-01-2019, 02:59 PM
Just wanted to provide an update on this one:

Since this happened, KB and I have changed a couple settings and it seems to have mostly killed the bot-attacks. One or two may still get through from time to time, but there may not be much that can be done about that. Since the forum opened, I've looked for a legitimate looking RBL mod, but have never had much luck. I'm keeping my eyes open, but in the meantime, please report any suspected bots so the Staff can dump them.

Thanks!

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
05-10-2023, 11:56 AM
Ive come back onto this site to find no less than 10 marriage proposals in my inbox