PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman Leaving The MCU?

Alex
08-21-2019, 06:52 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49417812

So apparently Sony and Disney can't come to an agreement regarding Spiderman. Sony wants to keep the deal they've already got (5% to Disney, the rest to Sony) Disney want a 50/50 split. And they can't come to an agreement.

Sucks for the fans I guess but it seems (from what I read) Sony paid for most of the budget for Homecoming and Far From Home and distributed both so I can see why they wouldn't want to give Disney a bigger piece of the pie. But also if it wasn't Disney putting Spidey in the MCU he probably wouldn't be making as much bank as he is. Then again Into The Spiderverse was a Sony only production and that also made lots of money so I can see why Sony reckon they can do it alone.

It's all very convoluted and the angry fans on Twitter going on about #BoycottSony just make me roll my eyes but I get why.

Anyway what do you guys think?

Jack-Hammer
08-21-2019, 07:21 AM
You can see both sides of it but I think Spider-Man being part of the MCU would've been all but guaranteed continued success. Spider-Man: Homecoming was the 2nd reboot of the character and it's connection to the MCU is a huge factor in getting fans and critics excited about Spider-Man movies again. The Amazing Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man 2 made a lot of money but the movies just weren't nearly as good as the first trilogy in the eyes of both fans and critics. Before the MCU involvement, Spider-Man was floundering.

To be honest, I'm kinda over Spider-Man. Not that these latest movies haven't been really good and I think Tom Holland's been great in the role, but Spider-Man as a character, is so massively overexposed that he's on a similar level as Superman and Batman. Plus, the MCU has all kinds of potentially interesting and fresh stuff going on with the Blade reboot, the Shang-Chi film, Black Widow, the Eternals and a few other things going around.

'Ravishing' Ned Flanders
08-21-2019, 09:02 AM
All i can say is RIP live action Spider-Man.

Sony's track record when it comes to Spidey is fucking awful so i'm not gonna hold my breath that whatever they do is good

Stone Cold Tea
08-21-2019, 10:01 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49417812

So apparently Sony and Disney can't come to an agreement regarding Spiderman. Sony wants to keep the deal they've already got (5% to Disney, the rest to Sony) Disney want a 50/50 split. And they can't come to an agreement.

Sucks for the fans I guess but it seems (from what I read) Sony paid for most of the budget for Homecoming and Far From Home and distributed both so I can see why they wouldn't want to give Disney a bigger piece of the pie. But also if it wasn't Disney putting Spidey in the MCU he probably wouldn't be making as much bank as he is. Then again Into The Spiderverse was a Sony only production and that also made lots of money so I can see why Sony reckon they can do it alone.

It's all very convoluted and the angry fans on Twitter going on about #BoycottSony just make me roll my eyes but I get why.

Anyway what do you guys think?

It's a sad situation for fans of the multi verse but I aren't overly fussed myself. I'd argue that it was Sony that made it possible for the MCU with their early 2000s release of Spiderman. He made superheroes cool again and I reckon he would have been fine without been integrated into the MCU.

Alex
08-21-2019, 01:04 PM
You can see both sides of it but I think Spider-Man being part of the MCU would've been all but guaranteed continued success. Spider-Man: Homecoming was the 2nd reboot of the character and it's connection to the MCU is a huge factor in getting fans and critics excited about Spider-Man movies again. The Amazing Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man 2 made a lot of money but the movies just weren't nearly as good as the first trilogy in the eyes of both fans and critics. Before the MCU involvement, Spider-Man was floundering.

To be honest, I'm kinda over Spider-Man. Not that these latest movies haven't been really good and I think Tom Holland's been great in the role, but Spider-Man as a character, is so massively overexposed that he's on a similar level as Superman and Batman. Plus, the MCU has all kinds of potentially interesting and fresh stuff going on with the Blade reboot, the Shang-Chi film, Black Widow, the Eternals and a few other things going around.

Spiderman is popular enough on his own that he'll be successful regardless, but the MCU connection does lend credibility. However the MCU movies have become so formulaic in a way that having a different set of people on a project might shake it up a bit. Because a lot of them have the same story beats, just in space, a different continent or a different time period.

But I'm also burnt out on comic book movies in general so I don't care that much. If they did the Clone Saga I might be interested though haha.

All i can say is RIP live action Spider-Man.

Sony's track record when it comes to Spidey is fucking awful so i'm not gonna hold my breath that whatever they do is good

Making Spiderman and comic book movies cool in the early 2000s?
Winning an Oscar with Into The Spider-Verse?
One of the best games to come out in recent memory

Yeah fucking awful.
I get people love the MCU. But Disney are becoming overly cocky. Especially since acquiring Fox. They reckon they can do what they want and get away with it. A lot of people don't realise Disney/Marvel get all the merchandising money for Spiderman which is a lot. So for them to want more of the film money which is the only thing Sony gets from Spiderman is trying to have their cake and eat it.

It's a sad situation for fans of the multi verse but I aren't overly fussed myself. I'd argue that it was Sony that made it possible for the MCU with their early 2000s release of Spiderman. He made superheroes cool again and I reckon he would have been fine without been integrated into the MCU.

He does have the strongest line up of villains for a Marvel character to be honest. So he's far more likely to survive as a stand-alone character.

Fire Marshall Bill
08-22-2019, 11:27 AM
You can debate money all you want. Iâ??m more interested on how theyâ??ll address his past in the upcoming movie. If they cut ties entirely, can they even bring up Stark, Avengers, etc? Iâ??m not sure if completely avoiding it or dancing around it forcefully would be worse.

Spidey
08-23-2019, 09:01 AM
Long as they move on from Uncle Ben I think they'll be fine.

smarkmouth
08-23-2019, 09:50 AM
Give us Spider Man 4 with Raimi back at the helm as originally intended!

Big Nick Dudley
08-25-2019, 10:23 AM
Sony doesn't need Disney anymore. Holland is the draw now, with a ton of help from Disney.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
08-25-2019, 08:57 PM
Give us a Quentin Tarantino version of Spiderman.

A11
08-26-2019, 05:37 AM
Marvel/Disney more than Sony need Disney in my opinion. I dont care how hyped anyone gets for any of the new films announced the MCU needs spiderman to give it some star power until the x men (particularly wolverine) and the fantastic 4 come in to play. With Cap and Ironman gone you have fuck all star power left imo

smarkmouth
08-26-2019, 08:06 AM
Honestly the arrogance of Disney is both incredible and hilarious. To A11's point, Spidey is in fact a draw, and Spidey was poised to be the linchpin of the next phase of the MCU. A character that they full well did not have secure rights to was going to be the crux of the whole multi billion dollar franchise.

Dumb risk. I loved the two Spider Man movies from Marvel, and while I feel bad for the creatives, seeing a Disney take a huge dent in their monopoly pleases me.

That being said, Sony is batting .5 with Spider Man flicks (though one of is the best Spider Man, and maybe the best animated super hero movie of all time). Hopefully they've learned that if they hire the right people and stay the fuck out of the way then Holland can continue being Peter Parker in a worthy series.

EnviousDominous
08-26-2019, 10:05 AM
Blah, at least Spider-Man got a bunch of movies before this craziness occurred.

I probably only watched four of the ten thousand MCU movies that involved the ongoing MCU Avengers saga, and I only watched Far From Home because my wife is a huge comic book geek (we weren't married when most of the other movies came out).

This coming from the perspective of a casual fan of superhero movies; I think that the MCU has had enough Spider-Man. Finding out that Spider-Man might no longer be a part of this never ending series of Avengers movies is like finding out that future Shazam movies might be recast and disconnected from the DCU. For me, Spider-Man's only appeal is that he wears a neat suit.

Big Nick Dudley
08-30-2019, 08:00 AM
Now give me a Spider-Man and Venom movie with Holland and Hardy.

SSJPhenom
08-30-2019, 10:07 AM
People keep talking about this like Disney just went in and said, "Everything remains the same except we want half of all profits instead of 5% and merchandising". Disney, in fact did not do that. Disney proposed that Sony and Disney split Everything down the middle. Production costs, advertising costs, salaries, etc and at the same time, they get half of all the profits. I don't think that is unreasonable at all. Everybody saying that Disney is being a bully and arrogant and greedy either don't know the whole story or you're drinking the kool-aid and think that Disney is this big evil corporate monopoly and you want to see them get their just desserts. It's not unreasonable for them to say, "We'll pay for half of EVERYTHING, but we want half of the profits as well".

Alex
08-31-2019, 03:35 AM
People keep talking about this like Disney just went in and said, "Everything remains the same except we want half of all profits instead of 5% and merchandising". Disney, in fact did not do that. Disney proposed that Sony and Disney split Everything down the middle. Production costs, advertising costs, salaries, etc and at the same time, they get half of all the profits. I don't think that is unreasonable at all. Everybody saying that Disney is being a bully and arrogant and greedy either don't know the whole story or you're drinking the kool-aid and think that Disney is this big evil corporate monopoly and you want to see them get their just desserts. It's not unreasonable for them to say, "We'll pay for half of EVERYTHING, but we want half of the profits as well".

And Sony were probably up for that, if they got half the merchandise profits as well. But I highly doubt Disney were going to split that cash cow equally.

And let's be honest dude. Disney is a big corporate Monopoly. They just bought out one of their film competitors and are planning on putting their stuff on their own streaming service instead of licencing it out. That's monopolising.

BaconBits
09-03-2019, 07:31 AM
Sony is trying to get bought out.

mrluck_07
09-04-2019, 09:32 AM
Sony is trying to get bought out.

Possibly

smarkmouth
09-27-2019, 09:15 PM
Peter Parker returning to the MCU like;

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7abIileRivlGr8Nq/giphy.gif

Alex
09-29-2019, 02:08 AM
And it appears Sony got what they wanted out of the deal.

Y 2 Jake
09-29-2019, 06:48 AM
Isn't it just for a Spider-Man sequel and then another film after? I guess his arc ends with him retiring and concentrating on being a kid. Only for him to pop up in Sony's extended universe.

smarkmouth
09-29-2019, 09:25 AM
That's the reported deal, but I'm sure Disney wants more. I just want them to say fuck it, make Tom Holland movies in the MCU and have a seperate Sony/Spideyverse bringing back Raimi and Maguire. Comic book fans have been dealing with convaluted separate universes for decades. Film fans should now get to share that anxiety.

Alex
09-29-2019, 12:34 PM
I think Disney realised that Spidey is a big asset and they'd rather have a bit of that pie than nothing at all

Honestly I'd love to see a Spiderman multiverse like whatever the hell DC are doing. Have MCU Spiderman movies and also have Raimi Spiderman movies where they do something with like Shocker or Electro or something

A11
09-29-2019, 09:39 PM
Multiverses are dumb ideas, especially the shitstorm DC are creating. It looks like they have no idea what they are doing.

Havent really read the details of the deal but this could be even better for Sony if that havent passed it right away. Marvel are going to be more reliant on including spiderman the more they include him because everybody loves spiderman. If they only have the rights for a sequel and another film before they have to negotiate again then Marvel should be put over the barrel and taken for a ride by Sony. How many films did Downey Jr appear in as Iron Man (I can count at least 9). And that was without needing to establish where he fits in the whole universe because they were able to do both at the same time. If Marvel want to make Spiderman the new face of the franchise (personally think they'd be stupid not to) they will probably need Spiderman in roughly another 6-8 movies in my opinion, assuming this next saga is as long as the Infinity Saga was.