PDA

View Full Version : March Madness Discussion

Slyfox696
03-03-2018, 08:52 PM
The best time of the year has arrived. The NCAA men's basketball conference tournaments are underway and the NCAA tournament is only a couple weeks away. And yet, the enormous shadow of an FBI investigation is looming large over the basketball landscape.

Use this thread to discuss college basketball until the end of the season.

Yaz
03-03-2018, 10:33 PM
Who you got Sly?

I don't believe there is a real standout favorite this year. Virginia seems like th last few years they choke when given the spotlight. Villanova's offense might not hold up. Kansas came on strong late after an iffy start, but the Big 12 sort of fell off late, especially Oklahoma. Michigan State struggled multiple times against a Michigan team that isn't expected to make a deep run, but I think they are my pick. Duke and North Carolina have both had bad losses. Cincinnati lost to every good team they played. Xavier and Gonzaga were both the best of lesser conferences. Purdue's three game skid a short while back causes me worries in a tournament.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-04-2018, 11:36 AM
I know the brackets will not be released until 1 week from today, but who has everyone got to win it all?

Slyfox696
03-04-2018, 02:51 PM
If you're not watching Lipscomb vs. Florida Gulf Coast, you need to turn it on now (ESPN). FGCU was down 32 points at one point, but only 10 now and have all the momentum. Crazy game.

Slyfox696
03-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Make that down 8 with a FT coming.

Slyfox696
03-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Who you got Sly?

I don't believe there is a real standout favorite this year. Virginia seems like th last few years they choke when given the spotlight. Villanova's offense might not hold up. Kansas came on strong late after an iffy start, but the Big 12 sort of fell off late, especially Oklahoma. Michigan State struggled multiple times against a Michigan team that isn't expected to make a deep run, but I think they are my pick. Duke and North Carolina have both had bad losses. Cincinnati lost to every good team they played. Xavier and Gonzaga were both the best of lesser conferences. Purdue's three game skid a short while back causes me worries in a tournament.I honestly don't know, there hasn't really been a runaway team this year. Duke has a lot of the essential elements for a deep run and have the best coach in basketball history. Virginia has been as close to dominant as any team all year.

I actually haven't watched much basketball, so I'm not sure I'm very qualified to make a pick. I think a lot of it will come down to tournament pairings.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Coach K, greatest coach of all-time? I'm not saying you're wrong, but isn't that a bit of a stretch? What about John Wooden or Adolph Rupp?

Slyfox696
03-05-2018, 02:09 PM
Coach K, greatest coach of all-time? I'm not saying you're wrong, but isn't that a bit of a stretch? What about John Wooden or Adolph Rupp?
Not a stretch at all. Coach K has more NCAA titles than Rupp and didn't earn most of them during a mostly "whites only" era of basketball. He has the most wins in NCAA Division 1 history. And he's also won championships across a wide variety of eras. When Coach K went to his first Final Four, the Internet as we know it (World Wide Web) didn't even exist. His first championship was in '91, his latest in 2015. He's adapted his coaching style, both on offense and defense as the game has changed. He's also won on the International stage, during a time when America wasn't clearly the best in the world any longer.

Also, the game is just different today. You have 1 and done players, a 3 pt line, you have Twitter, 24/7 news cycles, a definitive international influence, full college scholarships being awarded on ESPN, every game on TV...it's just a much different game than it was when John Wooden or Rupp were coaching.

He is the greatest coach of all time and when you start to view accomplishments in context, it really isn't that debatable.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-05-2018, 02:12 PM
Got it. Sorry, I just hate Duke.

Slyfox696
03-05-2018, 02:15 PM
Got it. Sorry, I just hate Duke.Why is that?

#AbsoluteUnit
03-05-2018, 02:19 PM
Their success.

jmt225
03-11-2018, 04:44 PM
I watched Virginia vs. North Carolina last night... I am so impressed by Virginia.

It's going to be hard for me to not have them winning the championship in my bracket. I'm usually very wary about picking the #1 team to win it all. But man, I love this Virginia team. Hopefully they play at the level they did all season long.

I'm also itching to get Oklahoma pretty far in my bracket, just in case they go back to playing like they did at the beginning of the season. I've never seen a guy fall off as fast as Trae Young did... the tournament will be his chance at redemption and I'm curious to see what he'll do.

Slyfox696
03-11-2018, 07:50 PM
I agree with you about Virginia. I watched that game last night and they were in control the whole way through. Very impressive and hard not to consider them the favorite.

Big Nick Dudley
03-13-2018, 11:17 AM
Coach K is the best. My coach is Tom Izzo, who Coach K has abused for years. Hate playing Duke.

That being said, I would love to see MSU make a deep run, but they will run into Duke too early. I have zero confidence every time we face Duke. I like Xavier this year.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-13-2018, 06:35 PM
I'd like someone new to win it all. Xavier is my sleeper pick, even though I know they're a #1 seed. Xavier has never been to the Final 4 before, so I'll be cheering for them.

Slyfox696
03-14-2018, 06:29 AM
I'd like someone new to win it all. Xavier is my sleeper pick, even though I know they're a #1 seed. Xavier has never been to the Final 4 before, so I'll be cheering for them.
I haven't watched Xavier play much this year (and by "much" I mean, I think I've seen five game minutes is all). But I have watched them in years past and I know Chris Mack is a damn fine basketball coach. That could mean a lot for a talented team.

jmt225
03-14-2018, 03:41 PM
Besides the West, my bracket is heavy favorite. Usually I have way more upsets but that way of thinking has never gotten me anywhere, lol, so I think it's time for a change of pace.

https://i.imgur.com/5gaDfqA.jpg

Slyfox696
03-14-2018, 03:46 PM
I don't fill out brackets anymore. I find that I enjoy the tournament so much more when I'm not concerned with who wins or loses.

Theo
03-14-2018, 09:09 PM
I got Virginia-UNC and Nova-Auburn in my final four with Virginia-Nova in the finals and Virginia winning it all.

This is actual the first year I'm not in some sort of pool and didn't put serious thought into my bracket, so I'm sort of with Sly this year. Gonna enjoy the tournament for the tournament.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-15-2018, 01:51 PM
Sweet, got Rhode Island over Oklahoma right. Gonzaga vs UNC-Greensboro was a tight game. Good job for Gonzaga sticking it out and pulling through.

jmt225
03-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Sweet, got Rhode Island over Oklahoma right.

Oklahoma had that game too. Trae Young took a couple of terrible threes in OT that just killed all the momentum the Sooners had going for themselves. It especially made no sense since Young was having such huge success driving to the basket.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-15-2018, 05:10 PM
Oklahoma had that game too. Trae Young took a couple of terrible threes in OT that just killed all the momentum the Sooners had going for themselves. It especially made no sense since Young was having such huge success driving to the basket.

The Sooners haven't won a game since.....what was it, February 1st? Yeah, OU had that game, but did not deliver in the end.

Slyfox696
03-15-2018, 07:10 PM
Stone Cold Stephen F. Austin with the upset alert...

Ty Burna
03-15-2018, 09:34 PM
Buffalo about to take down Arizona. There's your big upset of the day.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-15-2018, 10:23 PM
Wow. Goodbye Arizona, and probably Sean Miller (FBI Investigation). It's cool, I had them losing the next round to KB's UK Wildcats.

Slyfox696
03-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Marshall vs. Wichita St. has been very fun and Marshall is about to get the upset.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-16-2018, 03:23 PM
Good call Sly.

klunderbunker
03-16-2018, 08:51 PM
Virginia is in trouble. Like down 11 with 15 minutes to go after a 21 point first half trouble. UMBC is shooting the lights out right now.

klunderbunker
03-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Down 16 with ten minutes left. This could happen!

Slyfox696
03-16-2018, 09:10 PM
Virginia can't guard UMBC. At least they haven't so far. The question is whether or not UMBC can keep Virginia off the boards and keep them from getting hot behind 3.

klunderbunker
03-16-2018, 09:15 PM
Virginia's offense just isn't great. I read a big article on them in SI earlier this week and that was the big criticism. It's holding very true here, though more importantly that vaunted defense is being shredded. I just don't see them having the offensive firepower to come back from this kind of a deficit.

klunderbunker
03-16-2018, 09:16 PM
They've scored 42 points in 35 minutes. I don't see them having a 14-0 run in 5 minutes.

Slyfox696
03-16-2018, 09:21 PM
They've scored 42 points in 35 minutes. I don't see them having a 14-0 run in 5 minutes.I don't know, you can tell UMBC is getting fatigued, Virginia is stepping up the pressure and the Lyles kid, who has killed Virginia in the second half, is fighting cramps.

jmt225
03-16-2018, 09:23 PM
There's not a team in the tournament who wouldn't have kicked Virginia's ass tonight.

Absolutely PATHETIC performance!

klunderbunker
03-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Well.

That's going to do it. And so opens a HUGE door to the Final Four for Kentucky, assuming we can get by Buffalo, who suddenly scares the heck out of me.

Slyfox696
03-16-2018, 09:26 PM
There's not a team in the tournament who wouldn't have kicked Virginia's ass tonight.

Absolutely PATHETIC performance!Given the fact they're losing to a #16 seed, I think this would be hard to argue.

I will say that UMBC has been unconscious tonight, especially the Lyles kid.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-16-2018, 09:34 PM
I believe tonight's upset of Virginia trumps Virginia's loss to NAIA's Chaminade in '82. Agree/Disaree?

klunderbunker
03-16-2018, 09:36 PM
And that my friends, is the madness to a tee.

I can't believe I just saw that.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-16-2018, 09:44 PM
Well.

That's going to do it. And so opens a HUGE door to the Final Four for Kentucky, assuming we can get by Buffalo, who suddenly scares the heck out of me.

I got you and your UK bro's going to the final 4 my dude. Even though I HATE CALIPARI WITH A PASSION! <- Memphis soon to be graduate in May.

klunderbunker
03-16-2018, 09:45 PM
I got you and your UK bro's going to the final 4 my dude. Even though I HATE CALIPARI WITH A PASSION! <- Memphis soon to be graduate in May.

Oh I can't stand him either. It's not as bad as it used to be but when he first got here, you couldn't escape him in advertisements. Go to a car lot? His face is on the wall. Call to order pizza? "This is Coach Cal!" SHUT UP AND LET ME GET SAUSAGE AND PEPPERONI ALREADY!

JGlass
03-17-2018, 10:03 AM
Big props to UMBC, especially that Lyles kid for getting work done. Let's not forget that Virginia was playing fairly stout defense in the 2nd half, UMBC was just getting all sorts of shots to drop.

What a great moment for UMBC though. They're going to be showing clips of this team playing every year until someone does it again.

BestSportsEntertainer
03-17-2018, 01:25 PM
Wow Alabama got destroyed today, even though I kinda expected it.

Slyfox696
03-17-2018, 01:44 PM
And Duke is taking Rhode Island back behind the woodshed at the moment. Looks like the big boys of college basketball got spooked after last night.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-17-2018, 03:30 PM
Pretty underwhelming first couple of games thus far on Saturday. Hopefully things pick up quicker in the later games.

Slyfox696
03-17-2018, 09:01 PM
The Loyola Chicago Ramblers certainly got business to pick up.

GuyCompton
03-18-2018, 07:39 AM
What a tournament so far. Was watching UMBC beat Vermont last weekend during lunch and said to my brother "Man, UMBC can play.... It's too bad they just won the right to be crushed by a 1 or 2 seed."

Loving it. I'm still very much in it at the moment, more than half my pool picked Arizona.

Final four for me: Gonzaga vs Cincinnati and Villanova vs Duke, with Nova over Cincy

GuyCompton
03-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Meant to say more than half my pool took Arizona and Virginia.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Well, UMBC took down the #1 team overall on Friday, so they shouldn't have any issues with Kansas State!

A11
03-18-2018, 06:24 PM
So there were no brackets left in tact after the first round correct? Hilarious, whats the prize for getting right anyway?

Slyfox696
03-19-2018, 06:25 AM
What a great first weekend of college basketball. It's just a shame March Madness cannot occur year round.

So here are the teams left, in their Sweet Sixteen matchup:

South
#9 Kansas St. vs. #5 Kentucky
#11 Loyola Chicago vs. #7 Nevada

West
#9 Florida St. vs. #4 Gonzaga
#3 Michigan vs. #7 Texas A&M

East
#1 Villanova vs. #5 West Virginia
#2 Purdue vs. #3 Texas Tech

Midwest
#1 Kansas vs. #5 Clemson
#2 Duke vs. #11 Syracuse

For me, the most interesting matchup will be Villanova vs. West Virginia. Not because it'll be the most exciting game to watch, but because the matchup of styles will be a huge factor. Can Villanova handle West Virginia's pressure and, if so, can West Virginia still hang with Villanova?

Who do you think is the favorite to win out of these 16 teams?

Yaz
03-19-2018, 06:41 AM
I thought going in that Nova and Kansas were the weakest #1 seeds and I had UVA winning it all, so what the hell do I know?

I think Clemson is being overlooked a bit. They played great against Auburn and the only non tournament team they lost to this year was Temple. Purdue was depth but losing Haas is a big blow. Loyola and Nevada have been two of the most exciting teams so far, sad to see one of them has to go.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Syracuse's 2-3 zone is tough.

GuyCompton
03-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Rooting for chaos from here on out.
Cincy was 99.9% certain to win yesterday and they managed to lose and break my bracket.
Now I sort of know how Falcons fans felt with 28-3.

Slyfox696
03-23-2018, 12:51 PM
So, at a minimum, we'll have as many #9 seeds in the Elite Eight as #1 seeds. We'll have at least a #9 seed or lower in the Final Four.

What a fantastic year.

Big Nick Dudley
03-23-2018, 12:53 PM
Syracuse's 2-3 zone is tough.

Yeah, this defense killed MSU every time they faced a team using it.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-24-2018, 06:25 PM
Yeah, did not have Loyola - Chicago in my Final Four at all. Good for them though.

jmt225
03-24-2018, 06:32 PM
I really hope they win it all. Their style of play is so fun to watch.

Slyfox696
03-24-2018, 07:34 PM
I enjoy Loyola - Chicago as well, though I think a lot of it is the underdog. I do think they'd have a LOT of trouble with either Michigan or Florida State. I think Michigan can outscore them and I think Florida State can strangle them defensively.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-24-2018, 10:09 PM
Now if Duke and Villanova both lose tomorrow, that would be fantastic.

Slyfox696
03-25-2018, 06:42 AM
Now if Duke and Villanova both lose tomorrow, that would be fantastic.
There aren't many things that will get you banned on this forum, but rooting for Kansas just may be one of them...

#AbsoluteUnit
03-25-2018, 11:00 AM
There aren't many things that will get you banned on this forum, but rooting for Kansas just may be one of them...

Never a Kansas fan. Never was, and never will be. Are you a Kansas State and/or Missouri fan? Nothing wrong with that, just asking.

Slyfox696
03-25-2018, 11:03 AM
Never a Kansas fan. Never was, and never will be. Are you a Kansas State and/or Missouri fan? Nothing wrong with that, just asking.
Missouri, though it's been hard since the move to the SEC. I wish we were still in the Big 12.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-25-2018, 11:08 AM
Missouri, though it's been hard since the move to the SEC. I wish we were still in the Big 12.

Are we talking football or basketball here? For basketball, I completely agree. It must have been hard to watch your Tigers under the helm of Kim Anderson. I felt for you on that. For football, you guys came out of the blocks firing on all cylinders in '13 and '14. Back to back divisional champions. But it seems it's been tough ever since.

Slyfox696
03-25-2018, 05:55 PM
Are we talking football or basketball here? For basketball, I completely agree. It must have been hard to watch your Tigers under the helm of Kim Anderson. I felt for you on that. For football, you guys came out of the blocks firing on all cylinders in '13 and '14. Back to back divisional champions. But it seems it's been tough ever since.Both. It's not the level of competition but the complete lack of interest in the matchups. There's no interest in Missouri vs. South Carolina. None. There's no history, there's no battle over recruits...no interest at all. In the Big 12, you had history, you had recruiting turf, etc.

And I didn't mind Kim Anderson at all, it was that bastard Frank Haith that absolutely tanked us. Kim Anderson had no chance.

Baller
03-25-2018, 07:41 PM
Both. It's not the level of competition but the complete lack of interest in the matchups. There's no interest in Missouri vs. South Carolina. None. There's no history, there's no battle over recruits...no interest at all. In the Big 12, you had history, you had recruiting turf, etc.

And I didn't mind Kim Anderson at all, it was that bastard Frank Haith that absolutely tanked us. Kim Anderson had no chance.

Frank Haith is the absolute worst

#AbsoluteUnit
03-25-2018, 08:03 PM
Both. It's not the level of competition but the complete lack of interest in the matchups. There's no interest in Missouri vs. South Carolina. None. There's no history, there's no battle over recruits...no interest at all. In the Big 12, you had history, you had recruiting turf, etc.

Oh I agree, I'm not blaming Anderson at all. But it was real hard to watch his teams. I honestly felt bad when he got canned. But, what would you do? And I agree, Mizzou's rival in football is who, Arkansas, right? Yeah, just because they're border states doesn't mean they're rivals. In fact, why is Mizzou in the SEC West? Yeah, that makes no sense at all.

Yaz
03-25-2018, 08:05 PM

As a Texas fan, it burns me that A&M left for the SEC as well. Like, okay let's leave one of the better college rivalries so we can take up an old rivalry with Arkansas that hasn't mattered since FDR was President.

Money and all that from the SEC obviously played a huge part in them leaving, but no one in the SEC gives a shit about them or Missouri, just like the Big 10 gives no shits about Nebraska, Maryland, or Rutgers.

Slyfox696
03-26-2018, 06:22 AM
Frank Haith is the absolute worstTerrible coach and a recruiter of thugs. Awful.

Oh I agree, I'm not blaming Anderson at all. But it was real hard to watch his teams. I honestly felt bad when he got canned. But, what would you do? And I agree, Mizzou's rival in football is who, Arkansas, right? Yeah, just because they're border states doesn't mean they're rivals. In fact, why is Mizzou in the SEC West? Yeah, that makes no sense at all.They are in the East, which is what makes no sense.

http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/sec.map_.jpg

As a Texas fan, it burns me that A&M left for the SEC as well. Like, okay let's leave one of the better college rivalries so we can take up an old rivalry with Arkansas that hasn't mattered since FDR was President.

Money and all that from the SEC obviously played a huge part in them leaving, but no one in the SEC gives a shit about them or Missouri, just like the Big 10 gives no shits about Nebraska, Maryland, or Rutgers.At least Nebraska fit with the Big 10 geographically. And A&M does a little (they have the "South" part.).

Obviously, Mizzou and A&M left because the Big 12 appeared to be close to folding. And unlike other schools, the number of conferences who wanted Mizzou was very low and they were afraid they were going to be left out in the cold. They tried like hell to get in the Big 10 for years and never could. But them in the SEC is just the worst. I have zero cares for them in the SEC, so it is hard to watch.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-26-2018, 11:07 AM
Yes, I meant SEC East, not the West.

Baller
03-26-2018, 12:07 PM
Terrible coach and a recruiter of thugs. Awful.

Him choosing to leave Miami was the best thing that ever happened to the program

Slyfox696
03-26-2018, 12:35 PM
Yes, I meant SEC East, not the West.I figured you did.

Him choosing to leave Miami was the best thing that ever happened to the programI have no doubt. Not only did you get rid of him, it also allowed Miami to bring in Jim Larrañaga, who is a good coach. Of course, he may be very shady too, as per the FBI reports, but, at least they were winning.

Baller
03-26-2018, 01:18 PM
I figured you did.
I have no doubt. Not only did you get rid of him, it also allowed Miami to bring in Jim Larrañaga, who is a good coach. Of course, he may be very shady too, as per the FBI reports, but, at least they were winning.

Honestly, I think Miami got screwed by that initial FBI report. There has been no evidence of any wrongdoing and I truly believe that Miami is innocent in all of this. The player that was in question and his family signed documents that say they never were ever offered money to come to Miami.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-30-2018, 10:58 AM
Final 4:

Michigan vs Loyola - Chicago = I have Michigan winning this game easily.

Kansas vs Villanova = I have Kansas winning this one, barely.

National Championship:

Michigan vs Kansas = I don't care who wins, Duke's not in it! Nah, I got Michigan here.