PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Thread of Movie Lists and Chit Chat (w/Jake)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Uncle Sam
03-05-2018, 02:35 AM
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
The Cloverfield Paradox ★

I think Paddington 2 is a cheat even by my standards - it was almost certainly released in the UK in 2017 - but it's staying.

Having glanced at the Oscar winners: Guillermo Del Toro deserved it, Jordan Peele deserved it, Frances McDormand deserved it, but lol at Sam Rockwell and Gary Oldman.

JGlass
03-06-2018, 09:46 AM
How Ansel Elgort didn't get nominated for Best Actor and win unanimously I may never know.

Uncle Sam
03-06-2018, 10:21 AM
But The Fault in Our Stars came out in 2014.

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
03-06-2018, 02:03 PM
I watched Kingsman 2 the other day. I didn't care for it.

Uncle Sam
03-07-2018, 02:52 AM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★

I regret to inform you that Guillermo Del Toro did not deserve to win the Oscar for best director.

I watched Kingsman 2 the other day. I didn't care for it.

Veeery difficult to have stakes in a movie in which characters can recover from being shot through the eye.

Yaz
03-07-2018, 03:33 AM
How Ansel Elgort didn't get nominated for Best Actor and win unanimously I may never know.

Cause Spacey is gay.

Sam, I'm curious. Cloverfield Paradox got a lot of hype and a lot of people I know have raved about it, but when I ask what its about and why they like it, I just get "Its good, you sooooo have to watch it." Why just a single star?

Uncle Sam
03-07-2018, 06:20 AM
I say this as someone who doesn't really like Event Horizon that much but sees what it's going for and thinks it's kind of fun along the way:

It is like a much worse Event Horizon.

If it was originally conceived as a Netflix movie that people would put on in the background while they got high or masturbated or whatever, I could much better understand what a mess it is. I resent the feeling that I've thought harder about a movie than the people who made it, and I get that feeling all too often with modern science fiction.

JGlass
03-07-2018, 09:15 AM
I resent the feeling that I've thought harder about a movie than the people who made it, and I get that feeling all too often with modern science fiction.

I think this accurately describes the outrage I feel 99% of the time when I dislike a movie. I think it also explains why I was such a big fan of Black Panther and such a big hater on Thor 3. Black Panther felt like it was lovingly crafted while Thor 3 just felt like the director (but moreso the screenwriters) had a bunch of ideas for a movie that they haphazardly strung together into a semi-cohesive story.

FunKay
03-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Watched The Shape of Water yesterday: why did Jenkins get nominated and not Shannon? One of them is an unconvincing caricature of an old gay man in the 1950s with his hair falling out, the other is an utterly absolutely terrifying monster who epitomises the horrors of post-war masculinity...

Uncle Sam
03-08-2018, 03:13 AM
I read that post like ten times thinking there was a joke in there about Michael Shannon's character being secretly gay. For what it's worth, I thought Sergi Lopez did a better job with essentially the same character in Pan's Labyrinth (which is not to say Shannon didn't do a great job).

I think this accurately describes the outrage I feel 99% of the time when I dislike a movie. I think it also explains why I was such a big fan of Black Panther and such a big hater on Thor 3. Black Panther felt like it was lovingly crafted while Thor 3 just felt like the director (but moreso the screenwriters) had a bunch of ideas for a movie that they haphazardly strung together into a semi-cohesive story.

I can excuse Ragnarok to a degree because that movie's clearly just a series of gags and the only end goals are to destroy Asgard and give Thor a haircut. So, OK, yeah, that description can just as easily be seen as a damning indictment. Maybe it depends on how well and how often the gags land with you. A great idea that Andrew Ellard came up with that would fix a lot of my problems with that movie is to leave Loki on Asgard to oppose Hela and then have to run to Thor for help when he inevitably gets his arse handed to him. Nobody but nobody gives a solitary fuck about Heimdall and the Warriors Three.

I've not had such conflicting feelings about something since I first saw Finn Balor's abs but Black Panther has me torn in two. On one hand, I'm ecstatic that it's doing so well and everybody loves it. On the other, I just don't think it's that good.

FunKay
03-08-2018, 12:05 PM
I read that post like ten times thinking there was a joke in there about Michael Shannon's character being secretly gay. For what it's worth, I thought Sergi Lopez did a better job with essentially the same character in Pan's Labyrinth (which is not to say Shannon didn't do a great job).

There probably is subtext about Shannon's character being a homosexual in there somewhere (after all, this is the 1950s, repressed male we're talking about). And I think you're on the money with that analysis with Lopez's character.

I'm going to see A Fantastic Woman next week. I expect good things, so I'm setting myself up for a fall...

JGlass
03-08-2018, 08:17 PM

I can excuse Ragnarok to a degree because that movie's clearly just a series of gags and the only end goals are to destroy Asgard and give Thor a haircut. So, OK, yeah, that description can just as easily be seen as a damning indictment. Maybe it depends on how well and how often the gags land with you. A great idea that Andrew Ellard came up with that would fix a lot of my problems with that movie is to leave Loki on Asgard to oppose Hela and then have to run to Thor for help when he inevitably gets his arse handed to him. Nobody but nobody gives a solitary fuck about Heimdall and the Warriors Three.

I've not had such conflicting feelings about something since I first saw Finn Balor's abs but Black Panther has me torn in two. On one hand, I'm ecstatic that it's doing so well and everybody loves it. On the other, I just don't think it's that good.

The more I've thought about it, the more I think it's probably the best standalone Marvel movie. At the very least it's in the elite pantheon of Marvel movies along with Iron Man, GOTG, and Cap 2. Now I know that's not really a huge compliment being that most Marvel movies are made to be 1) enjoyed without too much critical analysis, 2) palatable for mainstream audiences across a wide range of demographics, 3) rewatchable so people on airplanes and high college students have shit to do and 4) make assloads of money, but Marvel does occasionally pop out something that I think is actually good, and I think they did it with Black Panther. It was unique compared to most of Marvel's other stuff, it took risks, it made great use of metaphor, and it was a powerful, moving film. Are you telling me that you weren't moved during the opening sequence where they recap the myth of Wakanda? What are you, made of stone?

Yaz
03-08-2018, 08:55 PM
Vibranium actually.

Y 2 Jake
03-12-2018, 06:43 AM
W/ Jake

Uncle Sam
03-12-2018, 07:15 AM
Just in time for me to go home and watch Annihilation on Netflix.

Y 2 Jake
03-12-2018, 07:24 AM
Is that on now? Step aside, Fastlane.

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
03-12-2018, 04:37 PM
WELL WHAT do we have here !!

It's Norcal, btw

Y 2 Jake
03-12-2018, 05:09 PM
Not with that name you're not.

Uncle Sam
03-12-2018, 05:18 PM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★

One thoroughly excellent scene and the rest-- there's something about Garland's films that bother me, and I just can't quite put my finger on it. This and Ex Machina feel... insubstantial?

klunderbunker
03-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★

One thoroughly excellent scene and the rest-- there's something about Garland's films that bother me, and I just can't quite put my finger on it. This and Ex Machina feel... insubstantial?

I've been meaning to ask you this for a long time: how is this list compiled? I get the stars and how these nine are ranked of course, but are these the nine most recent movies you've seen? Or seen this week? I've never actually known that.

Uncle Sam
03-13-2018, 03:42 AM
Films released in the UK in the given year (i.e. this is the 2018 list). It used to be cinematic releases only but I've broadened it to digital now that Netflix is picking up major releases.

klunderbunker
03-15-2018, 11:38 AM
Makes sense.

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
03-15-2018, 09:56 PM
I may not watch a lot of movies but I DO watch Finding Dory and Monsters Inc every day

Y 2 Jake
03-16-2018, 12:07 AM
I used to see Frozen every day, now it's Wonder Woman.

smarkmouth
03-16-2018, 12:32 AM
My current favourite conspiracy theory is that Disney produced Frozen to skew Google search results away from people looking up Walt Disney's frozen body.

Kiddo's current everyday is Tarzan, but I'm still certain I could recite the entirety of Inside Out.

Uncle Sam
03-16-2018, 03:10 AM
I was wondering why Disney's next feature is called Walt Disney was Kind of a Piece of Shit but that makes more sense after the Frozen thing.

I may not watch a lot of movies but I DO watch Finding Dory and Monsters Inc every day

You can't throw Finding Nemo and Monsters University into the mix?

jmt225
03-16-2018, 12:21 PM
Boone: The Bounty Hunter starring John Morrison from WWE is on Netflix and I must admit, it's a lot of FUN! Way better than I ever expected it to be. I only clicked on it to see Morrison and laugh at how terrible it was going to be, but I ended up enjoying myself.

Y 2 Jake
03-16-2018, 02:30 PM
Did the same with Russell Madness

Uncle Sam
03-17-2018, 03:41 AM
12 Rounds isn't exactly Fast Five tier but it's very watchable.

GuyCompton
03-19-2018, 06:03 PM
I watched Annihilation last night thanks to my Amazon Fire Stick and maybe it's the fact that Sci-Fi isn't my thing.... But I really did not enjoy that movie. Extremely slow moving, not a lot of action, and the ending wasn't what I expected. I'll leave it at that so as not to potentially spoil anything.

I'm one of the few out there who thought Alien Covenant was fun though, so maybe my taste in movies is a bit skewed.

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
03-19-2018, 07:39 PM
I was wondering why Disney's next feature is called Walt Disney was Kind of a Piece of Shit but that makes more sense after the Frozen thing.

You can't throw Finding Nemo and Monsters University into the mix?

Those are closer to every FEW days, but yes, no more than 2 or 3 days goes by without those too. And Monsters Vs Aliens.

Y 2 Jake
03-20-2018, 09:49 AM
I think I would've cared about Annihilation if I hadn't seen it on a 14 inch screen.

Y 2 Jake
03-30-2018, 01:16 PM
March

1. You Were Never Really Here ☆☆☆☆☆
2. A Fantastic Woman ☆☆☆☆☆
3. Mamma Mia! Sing-a-Long ☆☆☆☆☆
4. Lady Bird ☆☆☆☆
5. Game Night ☆☆☆☆
6. Ready Player One ☆☆☆☆
7. Midnight Sun ☆☆☆☆
8. Quick Change ☆☆☆☆
9. Peter Rabbit ☆☆☆
10. Tomb Raider ☆☆☆
11. Blockers ☆☆☆
12. Mom and Dad ☆☆☆
13. I, Tonya ☆☆☆
14. Pacific Rim: Uprising ☆☆☆
15. Unsane ☆☆☆
16. Menashe ☆☆☆
17. Dark River ☆☆☆
18. A Wrinkle in Time ☆☆
19. Walk Like A Panther ☆☆
20. Gringo ☆☆
21. Duck Duck Goose ☆☆
22. Loveless ☆☆
23. Red Sparrow ☆
24. Mary Magdeline ☆

- You Were Never Really Here should attract a similar following to Drive if anybody sees it
- I also rewatched The Greatest Showman Sing-a-Long version. Don't age past 30. It changes you.
- Ready Player One had me as soon as that 10 minute sequence in the middle started. You'll know the one.
- Peter Rabbit is the cruelest film I've seen in a long time.
- Mary Magdeline is the first film I've ever walked out on.

Fallout
03-30-2018, 01:20 PM
Damn, you've been on a spree this month.

I've heard mixed reports about Ready Player One. My friend told me it was just nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia, but if I like that kind of nostalgia to begin with, it wouldn't hurt at all to give it a watch, would it?

Y 2 Jake
03-30-2018, 01:26 PM
I found myself going "oh shit, a Gremlin" and so forth every few minutes. The film played me and I don't care.

I'm sure it won't hold up on repeat viewing.

JGlass
03-30-2018, 04:28 PM
I'm extremely skeptical of Ready Player One. I read the book and wasn't too impressed, but at least the movie looks like a visual feast if nothing else.

Jake's 4 star review might be enough to convince me to check it out on Sunday. I'm also impressed that Pacific Rim 2 got 3 stars, I figured it would be hot garbage.

Y 2 Jake
03-30-2018, 04:49 PM
I think if you like Pacific Rim you'll have problems with Pacific Rim 2. I don't even remember it. #2 entertained me in the same way Justice League did in that I was constantly going "Eh what?" in my head and before I knew it is was having fun I didn't sign up for.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
03-30-2018, 05:02 PM
I'll wait for Pacific Rim 2 to come out on tape. Should only be a few weeks away anyway considering the speed of movie to tape releases.

Y 2 Jake
03-30-2018, 05:26 PM
Tape? I thought they'd stopped making them in 2005.

Spidey
03-30-2018, 05:29 PM
I'm a sucker for those "look how 80s we are" movies/shows so if Ready Player One has references, that's probably worth going for me.

Uncle Sam
04-01-2018, 03:44 AM
I've not seen it but I think - I think - Ready Player One might just have references.

Starting my adult life has absorbed an abnormal amount of time. Going to the cinema has become weirdly difficult. Just trying to find a place showing Blockers has been a struggle, but I need it as evidence for my thesis that John Cena is better at choosing movie roles than The Rock.

Isle of Dogs though. That's the next one I'm gonna see. Definitely. Happening. Wednesday. Probably.

Uncle Sam
04-01-2018, 03:47 AM
I literally turned down the opportunity to go see Ready Player One because tickets were too expensive. I might not actually be over thirty but I feel it, in my bones.

Edit: In fact, going out on a limb here, Duke Nukem will not only be a hit, it will be John Cena's breakout role.

Fallout
04-01-2018, 05:07 AM
In fact, going out on a limb here, Duke Nukem will not only be a hit, it will be John Cena's breakout role.

That's a damn bold claim. I think it's going to range from being boring video game movie schlock to Mortal Kombat Annihilation levels of hilariously bad. Duke Nukem is one of those concepts where it's easy to get things horribly wrong.

Барбоса
04-01-2018, 05:39 AM
Duke Nukem should steal as much as it can from Deadpool

Y 2 Jake
04-01-2018, 06:17 AM
I've seen Blockers and it just confirmed to me that John Cena isn't a natural at anything.

Барбоса
04-01-2018, 01:43 PM
John Cena's best acting has been as Lance Catamaran, where the whole point was that he wasn't very believable in his role.

Uncle Sam
04-02-2018, 11:39 AM
We were just talking about how 12 Rounds is entirely watchable, you utter bastards.

JGlass
04-02-2018, 12:15 PM
Ready Player One gets the JGlass stamp of approval. It was pretty good.

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
04-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Thor Ragnarok. A-

Unlike party pooper J Glass, I thought this was tremendous. Funny, fantastic action, good balance of the comedy with seriousness.

Star Wars The Last Jedi
B+
I don't understand why it was so hated by fans and I don't understand why it was so loved by critics. It was fine, with a goddamn tremendous third act.

Uncle Sam
04-03-2018, 02:04 AM
I still stand by my view that The Last Jedi was downright weird for a Star Wars film, and thus way better than The Force Awakens (the name of which I really had to strain to remember; a comment on my encroaching senility).

I can also confirm rumours that the new Jumanji is a whole lot of fun, in a large part thanks to The Rock.

JGlass
04-03-2018, 11:22 AM
Thor Ragnarok. A-

Unlike party pooper J Glass, I thought this was tremendous. Funny, fantastic action, good balance of the comedy with seriousness.

I don't poop on parties unless there's nowhere else to go. I maintain all my gripes with the film are legitimate and not hipster bullshit like most of the rest of my life.

I can also confirm rumours that the new Jumanji is a whole lot of fun, in a large part thanks to The Rock.

Two people have expressed this opinion to me this past week which I found pretty startling. Might be worth a watch.

Y 2 Jake
04-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Jumanji is a 3 star masterpiece.

Uncle Sam
04-03-2018, 04:18 PM
I'm going to shit on my own rating system and say: three and a half stars.

I've been looking at A Quiet Place's release schedule and it's... Thursday. Nothing before, nothing after, just... Thursday.

Y 2 Jake
04-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Likewise. 10.15 am.

Uncle Sam
04-05-2018, 02:30 AM
Don't worry, I sorted it: tickets booked Monday for Isle of Dogs and A Quiet Place in the most organic double bill of all time.

Big Nick Dudley
04-06-2018, 07:28 AM
You Were Never Really Here should attract a similar following to Drive if anybody sees it

I feel like this movie is never going to be released, wide, in the U.S. Thought it was going wide this week, but only in NY/LA. Obviously I'm just being a baby, but I really want to see this.

Y 2 Jake
04-06-2018, 09:01 AM
The only film that could possibly knock that off my #1 spot for 2018 is Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.

Uncle Sam
04-10-2018, 01:59 AM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★

A quiet place was very Shyamalan-esque. In the nicest possible way.

And I just like Wes Anderson, OK?

That's a perfectly solid top ten. Can I stop now?

Y 2 Jake
04-10-2018, 02:44 AM
You can stop when you've seen Attack of the Adult Babies.

Uncle Sam
04-16-2018, 02:14 AM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
You Were Never Really Here ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★

Thanks for ruining my Sunday, Jake. I was mainly amazed at the sheer amount You Were Never Really Here owed to Taxi Driver.

Y 2 Jake
04-16-2018, 03:02 AM
It's been getting 3's off everyone I know as well. Something has gone wrong there.

Y 2 Jake
04-27-2018, 03:40 PM
May

☆☆☆☆☆ Avengers: Infinity War, A Quiet Place and Love, Simon
☆☆☆☆ Sweet Country
☆☆☆ Phantom Thread, Rampage, Isle of Dogs, Truth or Dare, Death Wish, Ghost Stories and Thoroughbreds
☆☆ The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, The Leisure Seeker and Have a Nice Day

Love, Simon made me question if I was gay for a good half an hour

Phantom Thread requires repeat viewing so I'll get back to you in 15 years.

Uncle Sam
04-28-2018, 03:16 AM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Avengers: Infinity War ★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★

I had a lot of fun with it.

Uncle Sam
05-02-2018, 07:28 AM
I'm in the David Simon part of the year, where I rewatch The Wire and read Homicide. I will be going to see Infinity War again - because by girlfriend wants to, not (for once) because I'm a desperate nerd.

Big Nick Dudley
05-02-2018, 08:46 AM
I'm in the David Simon part of the year, where I rewatch The Wire and read Homicide. I will be going to see Infinity War again - because by girlfriend wants to, not (for once) because I'm a desperate nerd.

With all of this revival business going on, how can Simon and Burns not have more material for The Wire? Baltimore, from the end of the series through 2018? Ohhh yeah.

Y 2 Jake
05-02-2018, 10:47 AM
I have a film festival this weekend which should be about 25 films over 5 days. Commando is on. That's all I know.

Uncle Sam
05-04-2018, 04:20 PM
This weekend is maelstrom of things I could have gone to but won't:

Blade Runner at the secret cinema. They have neon umbrellas and a Blade Runner-style bar and street set, but £70? Nah.

Progress' three-day wrestling tournament, which nearly killed me back when it was two days.

A Lord of the Rings all-nighter at the Prince Charles, which, if I'm at a loose end on Sunday I might even still go to.

But I probably will be going to see The Land Before Time on 35mm. That seems like a very me thing to do.

Uncle Sam
05-05-2018, 03:28 AM
https://i.imgur.com/z2uJIo1.jpg

Mother? Mother?

Y 2 Jake
05-05-2018, 07:57 AM
I'm seeing Demolition Man on 35mm this evening. It could be the first film of this festival I enjoy.

JGlass
05-05-2018, 08:58 AM
I'm not sure I've ever mentioned this, but I've never seen a Land Before Time movie. Let me know if that explains a lot about me.

Y 2 Jake
05-06-2018, 06:02 AM
I'd like to meet somebody who didn't watch it as a child to see how they aren't broken.

Uncle Sam
05-06-2018, 02:32 PM
I never realised how butchered in post The Land Before Time seemed, but it was, like, the first film I ever watched, so I wouldn't, would I? Weird continuity errors and superfluous narration. Release the Don Bluth cut!

Uncle Sam
05-06-2018, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure I've ever mentioned this, but I've never seen a Land Before Time movie. Let me know if that explains a lot about me.

It explains nothing. I was obsessed, to the point that I preferred the sequels, which had songs for... reasons.

Y 2 Jake
05-08-2018, 10:30 AM
Derby Film Festival

1. Commando ☆☆☆☆☆
2. Demolition Man ☆☆☆☆☆
3. Escape From New York ☆☆☆☆☆
4. Double Impact ☆☆☆☆
5. The Glamorous Life of Sachiko Hanai ☆☆☆☆
6. L'Amant Double ☆☆☆☆
7. Charismata ☆☆☆
8. Death Laid An Egg ☆☆☆
9. Images of Apartheid: Filmmaking on The Fringe In The Old South Africa ☆☆☆
10. Attack of The Adult Babies ☆☆
11. The Endless ☆☆
12. Jubilee ☆☆
13. A Taste of Phobia ☆☆
14. Ouijageist ☆☆
15. Hi-Death ☆☆
16. Hippopotamus ☆☆
17. All Light Will End ☆☆
18. Bodies ☆☆
19. Borley Rectory ☆

A mixed festival. But I did see a 35mm of Demolition Man where they dubbed over Taco Bell with Pizza Hut with actors doing Stallone and Sandra Bullock impressions.

Uncle Sam
05-08-2018, 12:54 PM
A mixed festival. But I did see a 35mm of Demolition Man where they dubbed over Taco Bell with Pizza Hut with actors doing Stallone and Sandra Bullock impressions.

Absolutely tremendous.

Commiserations on relegation, by the way. Hopefully we'll see you in England's greatest football division next season.

Y 2 Jake
05-08-2018, 01:24 PM
At least I can go Hull away again and out of nowhere think about Luther for a nanosecond.

jmt225
05-08-2018, 10:00 PM
I wonder if mankind will evolve into using the 3 seashells while I'm still alive? I certainly hope so.

Y 2 Jake
05-09-2018, 03:08 AM
That film is so ahead of its time.

No, seriously. Check it out.

My weekend also included seeing a softcore Japanese film at 9am about a severed George Bush finger.

Uncle Sam
05-09-2018, 08:27 AM
It was a Japanese softcore porn film or it was a film that wasn't entirely Japanese?

Your ranking of Commando, Demolition Man and Escape from New York is correct, though I'm sure it'll turn out it was entirely arbitrary.

Y 2 Jake
05-09-2018, 08:38 AM
It was 9am

Fallout
05-09-2018, 11:58 AM
Swansea are getting relegated, but Cardiff are going up, so I guess it's a mixed bag for me. Shame, I wanted another Premier League derby. Haven't paid close attention to footie in years, but from what I remember, Stoke were a defensive powerhouse of a side.

Also, Demolition Man has aged like a fine wine. I don't want to say it was ahead of its time, because I think a lot of its commentary was accidental, but it's a great metaphor for the internet.

Y 2 Jake
05-09-2018, 02:51 PM
It's definitely unintentional so don't tell anyone.

We were great defensively until two and a half years ago when Mark Hughes needed to start thinking about updating his Pulis era defense. He plumped for some misfiring strikers instead.

Uncle Sam
05-14-2018, 08:29 AM
It transpires that Secret Cinema is a thing in which people pay to participate in elaborate live action roleplay, if you can imagine such a thing. I have trouble enough making eye contact with my girlfriend. No thanks.

Swansea are getting relegated, but Cardiff are going up, so I guess it's a mixed bag for me. Shame, I wanted another Premier League derby. Haven't paid close attention to footie in years, but from what I remember, Stoke were a defensive powerhouse of a side.

Yeah, well, spare a thought for those of us in League One. God, that was a penalty all day long. I'm not normally one to send death threats to referees but I might just have to on this occasion.

Uncle Sam
05-17-2018, 02:20 AM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
Deadpool 2 ★★

It's not entirely insufferable, it's just not very funny. Like, when it does do jokes, the ratio of hit to miss isn't awful, it just doesn't seem to attempt jokes for a weirdly long chunk of its runtime. Props for adding comic accurate (ish) Cable, Domino and [SPOILER] to comic accurate Colossus though. And I wasn't a huge fan of that kid in Hunt for the Wilderpeople and I'm not a huge fan of him in-- wait, no, he has an accent that's different to mine and, on reflection, that's literally the funniest thing ever.

Really, I wish people would just watch Crank and Crank 2.

SSJPhenom
05-17-2018, 07:09 AM
Man you guys have really been hard on Deadpool 2, yet the media and a lot of reviews say it's better than the first film. Question, what did you rate the first film?

Uncle Sam
05-18-2018, 02:16 AM
I gave it a four that I reduced to a three after peer pressure from Tastycles. Mind you, this is the same year I gave Suicide Squad three stars so there was obviously something in the water.

Again, I cannot recommend Crank highly enough. Well, I can, but it's basically doing a much better version of what Deadpool is attempting, minus jokes about X-Men continuity.

Y 2 Jake
05-18-2018, 03:47 AM
Deadpool 2 ☆☆☆

What Sam said. It just isn't funny.

SSJPhenom
05-18-2018, 04:51 AM
I liked the first Crank. The second one.......meh.

JGlass
05-18-2018, 09:24 AM
Aren't you one of those weirdos that says Blade 2 is better than Blade 1?

Uncle Sam
05-18-2018, 09:40 AM
Curveball: Blade 3 is the best because of Triple H and the best comeback in cinema history: Dracula asks Blade if he's ready to die and Blade responds, "I was born ready, motherfucker." Plus the shot for which Wesley Snipes refused to open his eyes so they CG'd eyeballs onto him.

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tv/image/1365/19/1365199411481.gif

All in all, a cinematic masterpiece.

Crank is indeed better than Crank 2, if only for the reveal of Jason Statham being able to read subtitles in universe.

SSJPhenom
05-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Aren't you one of those weirdos that says Blade 2 is better than Blade 1?

Are you talking to me? Can't be me. I don't have any recollection of ever discussing the Blade films on this or any other forum. If you're asking though, Blade 1 is far and away the best film in that trilogy. As a matter of fact, IMO, it has the best super hero introduction scene of any super hero film.

Барбоса
05-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Blade 3 also includes Ryan Reynolds' best on-screen insult to date when he calls Parker Posey a "cock-juggling thundercunt"

JGlass
05-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Curveball: Blade 3 is the best because of Triple H and the best comeback in cinema history: Dracula asks Blade if he's ready to die and Blade responds, "I was born ready, motherfucker." Plus the shot for which Wesley Snipes refused to open his eyes so they CG'd eyeballs onto him.

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tv/image/1365/19/1365199411481.gif

All in all, a cinematic masterpiece.

Crank is indeed better than Crank 2, if only for the reveal of Jason Statham being able to read subtitles in universe.

I've never seen Blade 3, and I did not know there was a scene where Wesley Snipes refused to open his eyes. That's fucking hilarious.

JGlass
05-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Yeah I think I get what you mean about Deadpool 2. For a movie you expect to be just as much a comedy as an action movie, they sure would go long stretches of time without making jokes, and about half of the ones they did were make were just eh. It was still pretty fun, but not nearly as good as the first.

SSJPhenom
05-20-2018, 11:42 PM
It had just as many, if not more, jokes that landed as didn't for me. I think I enjoyed it a little more than the first but not because of comedy or action. This one had more emotion and heart. Just as good if not a little better than the original for me.

Lee
05-21-2018, 08:06 AM
SSJPhenom and Deadpool 2 have a lot in common. They're both rated unsuitable for minors.

Uncle Sam
05-21-2018, 08:18 AM
I read that in Val Venis' voice.

It had just as many, if not more, jokes that landed as didn't for me. I think I enjoyed it a little more than the first but not because of comedy or action. This one had more emotion and heart. Just as good if not a little better than the original for me.

I feel like they went for heart but missed by a country mile. I was sitting through long scenes with sad piano music and it was all very "When are we going to get to the fireworks factory?"

Uncle Sam
05-23-2018, 06:05 AM
Props for including homosexual characters who are overtly stated to be homosexual though. The next step: having them impact the plot in any way, shape, or form.

Y 2 Jake
05-23-2018, 06:12 AM
Deadpool is gay?

Alex
05-23-2018, 09:51 AM
Deadpool is gay?

Negasonic Teenage Warhead AKA the Justin Biebier lookalike

Alex
05-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Apparently they're doing a Men In Black 4 with Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson.

Cautiously interested

Uncle Sam
05-24-2018, 09:35 AM
I was really, really interested in that Men In Black/21 Jump Street crossover but I would fuck both of those people so we're halfway to a five star review already.

Y 2 Jake
05-24-2018, 10:02 AM
Can't be worse than Solomon. That's how I now measure films.

Alex
05-25-2018, 05:15 AM
I was really, really interested in that Men In Black/21 Jump Street crossover but I would fuck both of those people so we're halfway to a five star review already.

I was interested in it to. It would either have been great or a car crash of epic proportions

Uncle Sam
05-25-2018, 01:36 PM
Can't be worse than Solomon. That's how I now measure films.

https://i.imgur.com/6JzdrLP.png
https://i.imgur.com/TIIbRik.png

Oh dear.

Alex
05-26-2018, 06:56 AM
Bought the Robocop trilogy for £7.99. I've never actually watched the 2nd one, inly 1 and 3.

Curious about the reboot. Might get it if its cheap

Uncle Sam
05-26-2018, 07:52 AM
The reboot isn't awful, and it's uncanny how similar some segments are to the recent videos the NRA have been producing, but everything it does well the original does better. Not to shock you but it's pretty redundant.

Y 2 Jake
05-26-2018, 09:51 AM
I fucking hate autocorrect. Solo. Solo is dogshit.

Watch out for the irony free Starship Troopers sequence.

Uncle Sam
05-26-2018, 12:38 PM
But Ron Howard is such a functional director, how could it possibly be uninteresting?

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
05-26-2018, 01:45 PM
Black Panther - perhaps the most overrated movie of all time, which is saying something, since it was indeed a good movie.

Did anyone else feel like the movie was about 45 minutes long? Breakneck pace, throwing an ocean wave of shit at you

Uncle Sam
05-28-2018, 11:12 AM
Black Panther - perhaps the most overrated movie of all time, which is saying something, since it was indeed a good movie.

Did anyone else feel like the movie was about 45 minutes long? Breakneck pace, throwing an ocean wave of shit at you

Welcome to my sheer bafflement. I've been here since February. Mind you, I had a similar feeling when people were petitioning for Logan to win an Oscar.

Alex
05-29-2018, 06:25 AM
The reboot isn't awful, and it's uncanny how similar some segments are to the recent videos the NRA have been producing, but everything it does well the original does better. Not to shock you but it's pretty redundant.

I saw it for £2. Debating

But Ron Howard is such a functional director, how could it possibly be uninteresting?

Ron Howard gave us Willow. One of my favourite fantasy movies. He also helped give us Bryce Dallas Howard which I am also greatful for

JGlass
05-29-2018, 07:30 AM
I really liked Solo. There was a lot of typical Star Wars stuff in there that I could do without, but other than that it was a heist movie in space, and it was awesome.

Y 2 Jake
05-29-2018, 10:49 AM
I'm afraid you're wrong

Fallout
05-29-2018, 10:52 AM
Not seen Solo, but Last Jedi was a comedy of errors.

#AbsoluteUnit
05-29-2018, 11:17 AM
^ Got to agree here.

Jack-Hammer
05-29-2018, 12:01 PM
Haven't seen Solo either, probably won't see it either until they start showing it on TV a few years from now. The stand alone entries into the Star Wars franchise just don't interest me as they don't really offer anything that I find all that important to the stories as a whole. I didn't see Rogue One because I've no real interest in seeing how the Rebel Alliance gets the Death Star plans; we found out in the opening minutes of the first Star Wars movie they got them, that those who got them for the Alliance were killed and they found a weakness that allowed them to make it go boom so that's all I need to know. As for Solo, I may have been interested in it if it was a darker story. If they're going to still do prequels as an occasional one shot or whatever, I'd be more interested in something along the lines of the origins of the Sith. One of the few Star Wars books I read were those about Darth Bane, the Sith who created the whole Rule of Two thing, and I thought they were a lot of fun.

Y 2 Jake
05-29-2018, 12:33 PM
Solo should've been made by those 21 Jump Street guys.

Alex
05-29-2018, 01:35 PM
Solo should've been made by those 21 Jump Street guys.

While I haven't watched it. If those guys directed it, the film would definitely have some originality. Ant-Man managed to pull it off switching directors, but that was probably a fluke.

Y 2 Jake
05-29-2018, 01:48 PM
I thought Solo was going to fail if they aimed for the same tone as the rest, and I was right. The character is too iconic and you know how it ends, so do something different.

Uncle Sam
05-30-2018, 02:26 AM
I'll never be able to bring myself to dislike The Last Jedi if only because it's a middle finger to JJ Abrams' "puzzle box" style of storytelling that has became so excruciatingly prevalent in science fiction. I'm dreading Episode IX but at least Johnson has forced Abrams' hand enough that he can't just remake Return of the Jedi - I hope.

I'd be surprised if I end up seeing Solo - the big surprise has already been spoiled for me, and I find it funny rather than interesting - but I am full of surprises.

Y 2 Jake
05-31-2018, 06:22 AM
May:

☆☆☆☆ A Fistful of Dollars
☆☆☆ Lean on Pete, Deadpool 2, I Feel Pretty and The Strangers: Prey At Night
☆☆ Show Dogs, Solo: A Star Wars Story, 120BPM, Redoubtable, Sherlock Gnomes, Breaking In and Life of The Party

Plus those 19 I saw at the festival. Long month. When's summer over?

Uncle Sam
06-01-2018, 02:33 AM
Fuck knows. Not to be overly British about the whole thing but it's just been humidity and thunder storms for the most part. Miserable.

The next ticket I have for a film is Richard Ayoade presenting a 35mm screening of Roadhouse. I even paid the extra fiver to meet him and have him sign a book. Dare I tell him that I actually very much enjoyed both Submarine and The Double, or should I just nervously yell a line from The IT Crowd?

Y 2 Jake
06-01-2018, 08:41 AM
I have never seen The Double or Submarine or The I.T. Crowd, but I know who he is.

Uncle Sam
06-04-2018, 12:34 PM
I like them all. And Gadget Man. And The Crystal Maze. You can imagine how daunting it'll be for me to be in the presence of a man with such a Midas touch.

Y 2 Jake
06-04-2018, 12:52 PM
The new Crystal Maze is an abomination.

Uncle Sam
06-05-2018, 01:48 AM
As someone who never watched the original, I know for a fact that it is undoubtedly better than the original and you are an old man.

Y 2 Jake
06-05-2018, 03:04 AM
It's exactly the same but new.

Uncle Sam
06-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Sacrificed my principles and booked tickets to Jurassic World tomorrow night because my brother really wanted to see it and opportunities for male bonding are so rare these days. It'll be nice to not award something three stars I guess.

Y 2 Jake
06-19-2018, 10:55 AM
I hated it.

I've seen it 3 times.

Uncle Sam
06-21-2018, 02:25 AM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
Deadpool 2 ★★
Garth Marenghi's Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom ★

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCcxHksUIAEoxCk.jpg

(Yes, that's how little I think of The Cloverfield Paradox.)

Y 2 Jake
06-21-2018, 02:50 AM
Fair score

Uncle Sam
06-22-2018, 02:25 PM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
Hereditary ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
Deadpool 2 ★★

"Ooh, it's this generation's Exorcist."
"Have you noticed how it's just like The Exorcist?"
"This is just like that movie The Exorcist."

Have none of you fuckers even seen Rosemary's Baby?

JGlass
06-22-2018, 04:25 PM
"Ooh, it's this generation's Exorcist."
"Have you noticed how it's just like The Exorcist?"
"This is just like that movie The Exorcist."

Have none of you fuckers even seen Rosemary's Baby?

https://i.imgur.com/fXCUz27.jpg

Y 2 Jake
06-23-2018, 01:49 AM
5 kids had to be dragged out by the police in the showing I went to. That took me out of Hereditary quite a bit.

Uncle Sam
06-23-2018, 03:38 AM
Rosemary's Baby with just a dash of Synechdoche, New York.

There was a guy in mine that just yelled "Allow it!" every time something scary happened. I appreciated it.

nightmare
06-25-2018, 02:49 AM
A Quiet Place was shit and Deadpool was at least 3*. Explain.

Oh and Hi fuckers. Thanks for moving without a postcard. A tumbleweed with a sticky note felt a bit uncaring, yet right on budget.

Uncle Sam
06-25-2018, 03:13 AM
Ring ring. Ring ring.

"Hello?"

â?¦

"Oh, every aspect of Deadpool 2! How nice of you to phone in."

And A Quiet Place is the best M. Night Shyamalan film since Signs.

Y 2 Jake
06-25-2018, 03:23 AM
Who is this guy?

nightmare
06-25-2018, 04:28 PM
Ring ring. Ring ring.

"Hello?"

â?¦

"Oh, every aspect of Deadpool 2! How nice of you to phone in."

And A Quiet Place is the best M. Night Shyamalan film since Signs.

It was exactly what it was supposed to be & it was fun. Granted it didnt blow the doors off the building but nobody should habe expected a cinematic masterpiece. 2* feels like a kick for no reason.

Now phoned in? That must be how the writers of that Sign Language tutorial handed in their parts. Premise? Great. Execution, not so much. Kid gets eaten in 5 seconds yet other louder sounds bring nothing ?

Ring ring.

"You have reached the continuity and common sense department. We have left the building so leave a message."

Uncle Sam
06-26-2018, 06:27 AM
Three is for average films, the not-that-great sequel to Deadpool gets two, I don't see the controversy. Mind you, I did give Suicide Squad three in a fit of "Not as bad as I thought it was going to be" euphoria.

Quiet Place falls apart as soon as you question how people in this universe fart or sneeze, but it does what's necessary to make the premise work, and I'm glad the script forewent a final draft by pedantic scientists with decibel-measuring devices.

nightmare
06-26-2018, 09:20 AM
Eh, suspending disbelief for bodily functions aside, you make new rules for a movie at least stick with it. The kid gets eaten in seconds over a toy, yet a waterfall is a safe place.

Spidey
06-26-2018, 10:30 AM
It's hypothetical but I assumed natural sounds like waterfalls and thunderstorms weren't going to make the creatures lose their shit. But I also watched the movie thinking when they made a noise, the creatures could attack, not that they were flat out going to and if they didn't then it's a plothole.

Also had great immersion going for it. Saw this in theaters and everybody was trying their best to eat their snacks silently.

Uncle Sam
06-27-2018, 02:33 AM
Road House, by the way, is an absolutely ludicrous film and if anybody else finds themselves in the admittedly unique situation of attending a 35mm screening preceded by a Richard Ayoade book signing, I say go for it. We had some great banter:

"Hello."
"Hello. Could you make it out to Sam please?"
"Sure. There you go, Sam."
"Thanks."
"Thanks."

I think we're mates now.

nightmare
06-27-2018, 10:01 AM
Road House, by the way, is an absolutely ludicrous film and if anybody else finds themselves in the admittedly unique situation of attending a 35mm screening preceded by a Richard Ayoade book signing, I say go for it. We had some great banter:

"Hello."
"Hello. Could you make it out to Sam please?"
"Sure. There you go, Sam."
"Thanks."
"Thanks."

I think we're mates now.

I had the same conversation with Neville before Mania a while back. Except i didnt ask him to sign it Sam. Would have been odd.

I felt it was as an authentic Brittish conversation i will have unless i hop a plane.

JGlass
06-29-2018, 01:16 PM
Deadpool 2 gets 2 stars and Suicide Squad gets 3.

Are you going to sit here and tell me Suicide Squad was better than Deadpool 2?

Y 2 Jake
06-30-2018, 08:34 AM
June

☆☆☆ Revenge and Hereditary
☆☆ Together, Ocean's 8, Book Club and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
☆ Super Troopers 2

Almost as many films come out this week than in the previous month. I was quite bored in June.

nightmare
07-01-2018, 12:56 AM
Deadpool 2 gets 2 stars and Suicide Squad gets 3.

Are you going to sit here and tell me Suicide Squad was better than Deadpool 2?

The X Force scene alone was better than Suicide Squad. If you made the Joker/Harley stuff a series of shorts removed from the film and judge it on the rest... i stand by my math.

So yeah, Sam be crazy.

Uncle Sam
07-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Just because Suicide Squad doesn't deserve three stars, doesn't mean Deadpool 2 does. I'm the one that brought it up, guys.

Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
Hereditary ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
Deadpool 2 ★★
Ocean's Eight ★★

"Let's do a heist." And then they did, without a single significant complication. Scintillating.

Everybody seems to be having a good time at least.

SSJPhenom
07-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Have you seen Ant-Man and the Wasp yet? If not, do you plan on seeing it?

Y 2 Jake
07-05-2018, 01:13 PM
You'll be pleased to know it's out on the 3rd August in the UK.

SSJPhenom
07-05-2018, 02:31 PM
So I'll get to see it before you guys. F'n finally.

Uncle Sam
07-06-2018, 05:00 AM
You'll be pleased to know it's out on the 3rd August in the UK.

Really? I'd be beside myself if that was a film I, you know, cared about.

Yeah, I'll still be paying £14.85 to see it on opening night - what of it?

Y 2 Jake
07-06-2018, 05:10 AM
Oh yeah, who cares, right? One Ant-Man was enough for me.

JGlass
07-06-2018, 09:24 AM
Ant-Man and the Wasp was kind dumb but in a silly way, and it was very enjoyable. It helped that I didn't know half of the people that were in it were going to be there, so I marked pretty hard when I saw the various "surprises."

Uncle Sam
07-07-2018, 02:57 AM
Incredibles 2 is obviously the priority once we start getting movies again but England getting to the quarter finals has been a decent distraction.

Y 2 Jake
07-07-2018, 03:41 AM
If you all get time you should take the opportunity to see Uncle Drew. The worst film I've ever seen.

SSJPhenom
07-07-2018, 04:31 AM
Incredibles 2 is obviously the priority once we start getting movies again but England getting to the quarter finals has been a decent distraction.

Incredibles 2 is, as expected, absolutely wonderful. Maybe slightly behind the first one but just barely. You'll definitely like it.

Ant-Man and the Wasp was pretty decent. I liked it better than the first one. Only issue that I had with it is Marvel threw another generic/run of the mill villain at us. They had been killing it in the villain Dept. lately. Other than that it's a another good Marvel film. Doesn't really have any huge implications on the overall MCU. You could definitely give this the ole 'if you've seen one you've seen them all' treatment. It was funny though and enjoyable.

I had a good time.

Jack-Hammer
07-07-2018, 04:53 AM
Ant-Man and the Wasp was kind dumb but in a silly way, and it was very enjoyable. It helped that I didn't know half of the people that were in it were going to be there, so I marked pretty hard when I saw the various "surprises."

Ant-Man and the Wasp, just like the original Ant-Man, is an MCU film that almost feels like it's completely disconnected from the MCU. Nothing that takes place is really of any major consequence, it's still part of the bigger picture but not a significant part when you get right down to it. As a result, it's really just a good popcorn flick and that's okay. With the exception of the X-Men and Fantastic Four, and possibly Namor, all of the top characters are already being featured so neither Ant-Man or the Wasp is of any real consequence. If it wasn't for the expense of the special effects, they'd probably be bigger deals as a TV show like Agents of SHIELD, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Daredevil and the Punisher.

JGlass
07-15-2018, 06:54 AM
Sam, I don't know if it's been released internationally but if it has you should check out Sorry To Bother You. Weeeeeird movie, but fantastic, a real scathing letter to capitalism.

xfearbefore
07-16-2018, 02:04 PM
My people <3

You fellas see the new Sicario? Well, did you see the first one? Let's discuss Mexican drug wars!

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Do you watch Narcos on Netflix ? Fucking tremendous. The third season is criminally underrated.

Y 2 Jake
07-17-2018, 05:30 AM
Sicario 2 is very much Sicario with more of Del Toro and Brolin.

Narcos, the best show I've ever watched that I could never be bothered to watch more of.

Uncle Sam
07-17-2018, 06:40 AM
Sam, I don't know if it's been released internationally but if it has you should check out Sorry To Bother You. Weeeeeird movie, but fantastic, a real scathing letter to capitalism.

Looks like it's only on limited release in the US, and perhaps Canada, so... I'll let you know what I think of it by early 2022. I'll tell you what's a real scathing letter to capitalism: the price of popcorn at the movies! Am I right?

Do you watch Narcos on Netflix ? Fucking tremendous. The third season is criminally underrated.

My brother watches Narcos - and, I'm pretty sure, mispronounces the title - and gushes all over it, but this is the guy that thought Jurassic World 2 was alright, so I took it with a pinch of salt.

Sicario 2 is very much Sicario with more of Del Toro and Brolin.

The trailers looked very much tuned to the Sky Sports crowd so I find this easy to believe.

Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Incredibles 2 ★★★★
Hereditary ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
Deadpool 2 ★★
Ocean's Eight ★★

Featuring the most daring, visually striking fight scene since Only God Forgives.

Edit: Oh, hey, xfear. Keeping well?

Gazprom
07-17-2018, 10:21 AM
I watche Sicario 2 (its not called that in Dubai) without realising there even was a Sicario 1.

JGlass
07-17-2018, 12:54 PM
I realized that the first Sicario was trash when they blamed drug users for the violence perpetrated by the cartels.

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
07-17-2018, 01:24 PM
The third season of Narcos is basically "The Departed" but even more intense and featuring the gorgeous scenery of Columbia.

The first two seasons are about the rise of and hunt for Escobar, which is pretty endlessly interesting

Fallout
07-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Del Toro was the best thing about the original Sicario. Other than him, egads it was a snore.

xfearbefore
07-18-2018, 01:09 AM

I fucking love Narcos. That show holds a special place in my heart for supplying me tremendous historical entertainment at a shitty time in my life, and I cannot wait to see where the show goes next season even if we're all missing Wagner Moura still.

And I gotta disagree about the original Sicario. I thought it was fantastic. The score alone was bone-chilling. There were slow and weak moments but by god they made you understand the brutality of the drug war in Mexico and the intensity of the situations.

SSJPhenom
07-19-2018, 11:12 AM
So have any of you seen the new Halloween trailer? If so what are your thoughts? Looks like they're doing away with all other sequels and this will be the direct follow up to the original.

Y 2 Jake
07-19-2018, 03:56 PM
Looks shit

Alex
07-20-2018, 01:27 AM
Anybody else interested in the new Predator and Alita:Battle Angel?

Y 2 Jake
07-20-2018, 01:43 AM
Yes and no

Alex
07-20-2018, 03:50 PM
Predator seems interesting because it seems they're trying to connect the lore from the other movies which is good. Also it's directed by Shane Black.

Not gonna lie the only reason I'm interested in Alita is because its sci fi and directed by Robert Rodriguez

Y 2 Jake
07-20-2018, 04:01 PM
A sci-fi by Robert Rodriguez is why I'll watch it begrudgingly.

Alex
07-20-2018, 05:43 PM
James Gunn has been fired by Disney for some tweets he sent ten years ago

https://screenrant.com/james-gunn-fired-guardians-galaxy-3-disney-explained/

smarkmouth
07-20-2018, 09:25 PM
James Gunn has been fired by Disney for some tweets he sent ten years ago

https://screenrant.com/james-gunn-fired-guardians-galaxy-3-disney-explained/

So they hired a guy who got his start with Troma films and were shocked to discover he had an unsavoury sense of humour. Well Disney, that's not a great look on you.

SSJPhenom
07-21-2018, 01:08 AM
Lol, I can't help but to laugh. It's hilarious listening to conservatives trudge up something from someone's past and say they should be fired for it. So I guess that means they'll be calling for Trump's resignation for admitting, on tape mind you, that because he was a celebrity he could freely sexually assualt women? No? Oh that's right. That came out before he was elected and they still voted for him. SMH.

Alex
07-21-2018, 02:20 AM
So they hired a guy who got his start with Troma films and were shocked to discover he had an unsavoury sense of humour. Well Disney, that's not a great look on you.

I suppose they'll have to fire Robert Downey Jr for having a massive drug problem back in the 90s and beating up his wife. Heck they'll have to shut down because their founder didn't like the Jews

Uncle Sam
07-21-2018, 03:20 AM
Firing someone for something of which you were already aware when you hired them - or of which you at least should have been aware - is indeed pretty ridiculous. It's originated from the corner of the internet that has a hard enough time decrying actual pedophiles, never mind jokes about them, so it's obviously disingenuous. That said, the tweets were really not on.

They can easily get someone to do a decent enough James Gunn impression to make Guardians 3, but Taika Waititi is not the man for the job, not least because making a Guardians film means being able to identify the three moments of the film when it isn't appropriate to make a joke. It bears repeating that Guardians of the Galaxy is the MCU's only truly great film.

Also, I like films with a big goofy central gimmick so I'm looking forward to Alita: Anime Eyes.

Yaz
07-21-2018, 03:51 AM
Gunn had actually deleted most of the stuff that was released today, it was just dug up an angry alt right media member who admitted he released the tweets because he was angry that Gunn was so outspoken against Trump.

For the record, the guy, Mike Cernovich, is no saint on social media himself.

https://cernovichleaks.com/

Uncle Sam
07-21-2018, 03:59 AM
It's the guy who helped propagate pizzagate - "Why would a political campaign always be ordering pizza? Unless... "pizza" is code for "children to rape in a basement"! All the pieces fit!" - so you don't have to convince me that he's a piece of shit.

Fallout
07-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Political shit in spoiler:

The only good thing that I can see happening from the James Gunn firing is a paradigm shift. The politically sensitive left and right will be put in the metaphorical sights of those with the actual ability to behave like rational adults when it comes to politics.

The goalpost shifting from right-wing partisan hacks is hilarious though. "It's OK when we do it!"

Nah, it's not OK when you or the left do it. At least apply your principles consistently.

I was doing online surveys, and I got a really weird in-depth one about Alita that asked me to micro-analyse Christoph Waltz's character. I can't look at the guy the same way after his appalling performance in SPECTRE.

Alex
07-22-2018, 05:04 AM
Political shit in spoiler:

The only good thing that I can see happening from the James Gunn firing is a paradigm shift. The politically sensitive left and right will be put in the metaphorical sights of those with the actual ability to behave like rational adults when it comes to politics.

The goalpost shifting from right-wing partisan hacks is hilarious though. "It's OK when we do it!"

Nah, it's not OK when you or the left do it. At least apply your principles consistently.

I've been saying for ages that politics is like a sphere. You go to far left or right you end up the other side. Honestly I feel that the loss of common sense is a big factor in stuff like the James Gunn thing. Were the things he said in poor taste. Yes. He clearly has/had a sick sense of humour but they're clearly poor taste jokes and not serious. For one he hasb

I was doing online surveys, and I got a really weird in-depth one about Alita that asked me to micro-analyse Christoph Waltz's character. I can't look at the guy the same way after his appalling performance in SPECTRE.

I've only seen Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Bastards and Big Eyes. Was Spectre really that bad?

Fallout
07-22-2018, 06:07 AM
SPECTRE was probably the worst movie in the official Eon James Bond franchise. Yeah, probably worse than Die Another Day.

JGlass
07-22-2018, 07:53 AM
I like Die Another Day. It's one of my favorites.

SSJPhenom
07-22-2018, 08:43 AM
I've been saying for ages that politics is like a sphere. You go to far left or right you end up the other side. Honestly I feel that the loss of common sense is a big factor in stuff like the James Gunn thing. Were the things he said in poor taste. Yes. He clearly has/had a sick sense of humour but they're clearly poor taste jokes and not serious. For one he hasb

I've only seen Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Bastards and Big Eyes. Was Spectre really that bad?

You should watch Django Unchained. He won an Oscar for that one and that movie is very good.

#AbsoluteUnit
07-22-2018, 10:37 AM
I liked Die another day as well. But I agree, Sceptre was trash.

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
07-22-2018, 01:34 PM
Second season of Luke Cage got REALLY fucking redundant from episode 10 and on.

Please marvel. Get the season length thing down.

Y 2 Jake
07-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Stopped watching after Daredevil Series 2. Too much to sift through for my liking. The boring outweighs the good.

Uncle Sam
07-22-2018, 03:19 PM
I like Die Another Day. It's one of my favorites.

Die Another Day... knows what it is, which is much more than I can say for Spectre.

If somebody tells you the Dalton Bond films are better than conventionally thought, don't listen to them, it's a cruel trick.

Second season of Luke Cage got REALLY fucking redundant from episode 10 and on.

Please marvel. Get the season length thing down.

You'd like think they'd learn after the... fourth time? Fifth time? The first season of Daredevil is the only one that's come close to justifying the length, and it could probably still have lost an episode or two.

JGlass
07-22-2018, 09:20 PM
I'll fully admit I like Die Another Day a lot because it's the second Bond movie I ever saw, the first being The World Is Not Enough which I found to be occasionally boring, what with its plot that didn't involve hovercraft chases, face switching, invisible cars, hotels made of ice, or Halle Berry in the orange bikini.

klunderbunker
07-22-2018, 10:41 PM
I'll fully admit I like Die Another Day a lot because it's the second Bond movie I ever saw, the first being The World Is Not Enough which I found to be occasionally boring, what with its plot that didn't involve hovercraft chases, face switching, invisible cars, hotels made of ice, or Halle Berry in the orange bikini.

Same, though it was my first Bond movie. Looking back it's not great, but there's always something cool in a Bond movie.

Fallout
07-23-2018, 06:24 AM
If somebody tells you the Dalton Bond films are better than conventionally thought, don't listen to them, it's a cruel trick.

I think License To Kill is really good though. It's very different, but that's why I like it and it plays more to Dalton's strengths than The Living Daylights, which sucks IMO.

smarkmouth
07-23-2018, 10:54 AM
If anyone loves terrible/awesome films, one of my favourites has been returned to YouTube. Miami Connection (1987) is about a rock and roll band comprised of martial artists who challenge a motorcycle gang of drug dealing ninjas. Aside from the prologue, does not take place in Miami. The film was panned when it was released in 87, and remained pretty much unseen until it was given a proper release in 2012.

Trailer (though if you don't need any more convincing beyond "terrible/awesome films", please don't watch it and enjoy the full film on YouTube) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZu69OB2KM

Fans of Far Cry: Dragon Blood may remember some of the music from this film, as Far Cry used some of the original tracks from the film.

Alex
07-23-2018, 11:21 AM
New trailer for Alita: Battle Angel

https://youtu.be/w7pYhpJaJW8

Looks pretty good I think

SSJPhenom
07-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Has anyone seen the new trailers from Comi-Con? Namely Aquaman, Shazam, and Godzilla: King of the Monsters. They all look awesome as hell.

Fallout
07-24-2018, 11:52 AM
I think License To Kill is really good though. It's very different, but that's why I like it and it plays more to Dalton's strengths than The Living Daylights, which sucks IMO.

Re-watched LTK today, and I can confirm. Robert Davi is great, as is his character, a paranoid, threatening and yet charismatic drug lord.

Uncle Sam
07-24-2018, 01:10 PM
Has anyone seen the new trailers from Comi-Con? Namely Aquaman, Shazam, and Godzilla: King of the Monsters. They all look awesome as hell.

I'm interested in Shazam. I'll see Aquaman and Godzilla out of my commitment to always remain part of the zeitgeist. Mind you, I still haven't watched Justice League.

nightmare
07-25-2018, 01:02 AM
Stopped watching after Daredevil Series 2. Too much to sift through for my liking. The boring outweighs the good.

And this is the reason i cant get into the Marvel Netflix stuff.

nightmare
07-25-2018, 01:04 AM
Gunn had actually deleted most of the stuff that was released today, it was just dug up an angry alt right media member who admitted he released the tweets because he was angry that Gunn was so outspoken against Trump.

For the record, the guy, Mike Cernovich, is no saint on social media himself.

https://cernovichleaks.com/

I pretty much echo this but...

I really wanted to say hello and that your avatar may be the best thing ive seen all week.

Yaz
07-25-2018, 02:29 AM
I pretty much echo this but...

I really wanted to say hello and that your avatar may be the best thing ive seen all week.

Shit, I haven't talked to you in a hot minute man.

And yeah, Aziz Gambino is where its at.

JGlass
07-25-2018, 07:49 AM
I'm interested in Shazam. I'll see Aquaman and Godzilla out of my commitment to always remain part of the zeitgeist. Mind you, I still haven't watched Justice League.

I can't wait until you turn 27 and realize the zeitgeist isn't worth the pain you inflict on yourself to be a part of it.

See you next week big guy ;)

SSJPhenom
07-26-2018, 11:02 AM
Idc how bad Aquaman is, but once I seen guys riding sharks I was sold.

Also, in the Godzilla trailer when I seen Rodan flying over the city and the dust and debris we're following him, I was sold. The monsters in this universe are a lot larger than in the Toho days.

Shazam was the one where I was like; meh. I mean it looks like Big but with superpowers.

Uncle Sam
07-27-2018, 02:11 AM
Right? Like, how cool is that?

Maybe he'll bang a woman in her thirties.

Uncle Sam
07-29-2018, 05:02 AM
You know, despite not really liking any Mission Impossible films, except for maybe that one with Phillip Seymour Hoffman in, I'm feeling optimistic about Fallout.

In other news, the 2011 The Thing is not very good. It even attempts to resolve the ending of the Carpenter movie by the backdoor. Bastards.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
07-29-2018, 07:09 AM
SPECTRE was probably the worst movie in the official Eon James Bond franchise. Yeah, probably worse than Die Another Day.

Spectre was the biggest waste of a Bond movie since Live and let die. Live and let die is so bad I'm surprised the franchise didn't just keel over and fuckin die right there.

Y 2 Jake
07-29-2018, 08:14 AM
I'might not sure what they were chasing but Fallout is fun.

Fallout
07-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Spectre was the biggest waste of a Bond movie since Live and let die. Live and let die is so bad I'm surprised the franchise didn't just keel over and fuckin die right there.

LALD made a lot of money. I don't think any movie until Skyfall in the series made as much money as it did.

But I really want to like LALD, but it's just too low-stakes and there's too much stupid stuff. I love Roger Moore as Bond, the stunt work is amazing and Yaphet Kotto, Julius Harris and Geoffrey Holder put on memorable performances, but other than that...it's pretty dumb. The boat chase is where the movie really starts to fall apart as it becomes more focused on an unfunny, tryhard southern stereotype than actually focusing on Bond.

Spidey
07-29-2018, 09:59 AM
low stakes my ass he fought a god

I have a soft spot for LALD. It's like Bond had a fever dream about whatever he knew about black people in America's South. Not at all the worst of the franchise.

Fallout
07-29-2018, 10:25 AM
low stakes my ass he fought a god

I have a soft spot for LALD. It's like Bond had a fever dream about whatever he knew about black people in America's South. Not at all the worst of the franchise.

The best Bond films either have Bond fighting a megalomaniac or someone he has personal animosity with, like Scaramanga or Sanchez. Yaphet Kotto is a good actor who adds colour to the role, but the character of Dr Kananga just isn't very interesting and his plan isn't all that diabolical. I mean, it is, but it's not nuking China and the UK for television ratings, or wanting to destroy MI6 as a whole.

Spidey
07-29-2018, 10:46 AM
That's like every single one of them. For me it was nice to see Bond out of his comfort zone. Eh diff strokes I guess.

Uncle Sam
07-30-2018, 09:06 AM
Gun to my head, I could pick Casino Royale, Goldeneye and... actually, yeah, that's about it out of a line-up. Oh, and Quantum of Solace, because that's only about an hour long and not half as bad people make out. I'd be surprised if I haven't seen all of them at least once, fabric of British society as they are. Does Christopher Lee have three nipples in one of them? Goldfinger? It's 2018, I could just look it up, but I refuse to sacrifice my dignity by googling "Christopher Lee extra nipple".

I'm sure they all have their individual strengths and weaknesses, just as I'm sure some wines taste like oak and some like... grapes, but, like wine, I'm really not interested in getting into them enough to find out.

Mission Impossible tickets booked. I've given myself my own impossible mission: I've got to cover a twenty-five minute walk in twenty minutes. You've never seen a man move so briskly.

Fallout
07-30-2018, 10:28 AM
Man With The Golden Gun. And Lee makes having three nipples work, surprisingly enough.

nightmare
07-31-2018, 03:15 AM
Bond hasnt been shit since Brosnan & you know it. They have just used Craig as a counter to Rock without using Statham, to overall meh results.

The man is a spy, not Bruce Willis, nor a parkour building scaling badass. Bond is a sly, womanizing alcoholic who disrupts inept terrorists with charm and gadgets. Craig sucks as Bond.

Fallout
07-31-2018, 07:26 AM
He's probably my second-least favourite Bond of the official series, and that's only because I could do better than Lazenby.

Craig's Bond just feels a little alien, like he's trying to do Connery's suave routine, but he comes across more as a mildly successful flirt in a small-town pub.

Uncle Sam
07-31-2018, 07:27 AM
I think it's fine for a character to evolve - and the days where audiences will be entertained by the hero giving a wry smile before we cut to a wide shot of his car doing a forward roll are behind us - but the last two Bond films have just been different degrees of bad.

Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Incredibles 2 ★★★★
Hereditary ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
Mission: Impossible Fallout ★★★
Deadpool 2 ★★
Ocean's Eight ★★

I feel as strongly about this one as I do about any of the other ones. Maybe. I might like the first and third ones a bit more, I can't recall. Ving Rhames' hat budget must be enormous.

Fallout
07-31-2018, 07:40 AM
I loved Skyfall. I hated Spectre.

And I'm seeing Fallout on Thursday. Never been overly into the MI films since the first three were all pretty forgettable, but I've heard nothing but good things about the new one, so I'll give it a chance.

Y 2 Jake
07-31-2018, 09:23 AM
I really enjoyed it but I had all so not seen a 4 star film since the beginning of May so I was itching to slap some stars down.

July

☆☆☆☆ M:I - Fallout and A Prayer Before Dawn
☆☆☆ First Reformed, Hotel Artemis, Mamma Mia! 2, The Mercy, Skyscraper, Patrick, Incredibles 2, Whitney, Sicario 2 and Adrift
☆☆ The First Purge, Britannia Hospital, Tag and The Secret of Marrowbone
☆ Uncle Drew

Uncle Sam
07-31-2018, 12:12 PM
Somebody pointed out that the action was very good today, and it was pointed out before I saw the film, and... they're better in retrospect that they were at the time. That makes sense, I'm pretty sure.

Uncle Sam
08-16-2018, 02:24 AM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Incredibles 2 ★★★★
Hereditary ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again ★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
Deadpool 2 ★★
Ocean's Eight ★★

I was at a metal festival about ten years ago (don't ask) and whoever was supposed to headline on the day - Megadeth or whatever - couldn't make it, so they put an Abba cover band on the main stage. Long story short: Abba have got some fucking bangers.

JGlass
08-16-2018, 08:46 AM
Fernando is :fire:

Uncle Sam
08-16-2018, 09:21 AM
I legit nearly stood up and yelled at how they introduced that song in the film. I wish I was joking.

Uncle Sam
08-18-2018, 06:00 AM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Incredibles 2 ★★★★
Hereditary ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Teen Titans Go to the Movies ★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
Deadpool 2 ★★
Ocean's Eight ★★

Teen Titans Go is a really good show. I mulled over giving this an extra star.

Uncle Sam
08-18-2018, 10:40 AM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Incredibles 2 ★★★★
Hereditary ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Teen Titans Go to the Movies ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
Deadpool 2 ★★
Ocean's Eight ★★

Nah, you know what? It gets the extra star. Infinity War's gone from the top ten. Controversy.

Y 2 Jake
08-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Solid fart jokes in Teen Titans Go!

JGlass
08-18-2018, 05:47 PM
Blackkklansman made me cry so hard that the stranger I was sitting next to (who happened to be a young black woman) had to put her arm around me to comfort me.

It was pretty good.

Y 2 Jake
08-19-2018, 12:20 AM
That's so American.

Alex
08-19-2018, 06:52 AM
Does anyone know when Blackkklansman is out here in the UK?

Uncle Sam
08-19-2018, 02:47 PM
The 24th. I'm not sure I can wait that long to get my hug.

Lee
08-19-2018, 09:21 PM
Right? Like, how cool is that?

Maybe he'll bang a woman in her thirties.

Or a man in his 30s. Phenom would love it.

Y 2 Jake
08-30-2018, 03:07 AM
August

☆☆☆☆☆ American Animals
☆☆☆☆ The Equalizer 2 and Unfriended: Dark Web
☆☆☆ The Spy Who Dumped Me, The Happytime Murders, The Festival, The Meg, Hotel Transylvania 3 and Ant Man and the Wasp
☆☆ Teen Titans Go! To The Movies, The Darkest Minds, Luis and the Aliens and Alpha
☆ Slender Man

See American Animals, don't see The Equalizer and Unfriended based on my ratings.

Uncle Sam
08-30-2018, 05:42 AM
This may shock you to learn but I've not even seen the first Unfriended - nor the first Equalizer! No, I'd be lost.

Y 2 Jake
08-30-2018, 03:51 PM
I've seen them. Low expectations got he better of me.

Uncle Sam
09-10-2018, 02:55 PM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Incredibles 2 ★★★★
Hereditary ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Upgrade ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
Deadpool 2 ★★
Ocean's Eight ★★

https://i.imgur.com/wCfJlrc.jpg

Y 2 Jake
09-13-2018, 05:17 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you'll give The Predator 1 star.

Uncle Sam
09-13-2018, 05:51 AM
Here's hoping.

Uncle Sam
09-14-2018, 03:23 AM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Incredibles 2 ★★★★
Hereditary ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Upgrade ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
BlacKkKlansman ★★★
Deadpool 2 ★★
Ocean's Eight ★★

The last two minutes get five stars despite the ugly red subtitles (yes, that's the sort of thing I focus on - I'm a monster). It does also make me look like an awful human being to put Mute above both movies with "Black" in their title, but you can't argue with maths.

My partner's heading away for about ten days next Saturday so I'll be looking to fit in The Predator, American Animals and... Crazy Rich Asians?

Y 2 Jake
09-14-2018, 04:31 PM
Just got back from seeing Crazy Rich Asians. I think you have to be one to appreciate it.

Uncle Sam
09-20-2018, 05:01 PM
The Predator ★★★★★
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Incredibles 2 ★★★★
Hereditary ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Upgrade ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
BlacKkKlansman ★★★
Deadpool 2 ★★
Ocean's Eight ★★

I knew I just had to have faith in Shane Black. The way he deftly marries action, drama, and comedy, and the film always feels tonally consistent is remarkable. That we finally have an entourage of characters who are more likeable and well-rounded than the original crew! That the predator lore is expanded upon in a way that never feels intrusive or contradictory or silly! When the action gets going, it's infinitely readable, and the editing ensures that the film is never less than coherent. Most of all, the handling of autism is done with such tact - it's about time that Hollywood recognised it as the superpower that it really is. The sooner NASA is run by a collective of autistic ten-year-olds the better.

Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Incredibles 2 ★★★★
Hereditary ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Upgrade ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
BlacKkKlansman ★★★
American Animals ★★★
Deadpool 2 ★★
Ocean's Eight ★★
The Predator ★

Fucking dogshit.

American Animals is, by default, much better but marred by people bursting into tears about how they got seven years in prison for attacking a defenseless woman and stealing priceless cultural artefacts.

Y 2 Jake
09-20-2018, 09:00 PM
Called it.

Which did you think had a better representation of autism as superpower, The Predator or Power Rangers?

Jack-Hammer
09-20-2018, 09:57 PM
Saw the Predator and thought it was absolute dogshit, just pure grade A dogshit. The franchise was on life support for years, but it's just time to pull the fucking plug, put it out of its misery and maybe try rebooting the thing in another 10 years or so because way too much damage has been done.

The movie has lots of violence and a few funny quips here and there, which is okay if it's what you're into. There's so much that could be done with this franchise, such as a rich mythology that could be explored, expanded on, etc. instead of another run of the mill forgettable, C level action flick. Don't get me wrong, I like a good action movie as much as anyone else but the Predator is just par for the course as far as the franchise goes. The Predators themselves remain the same relatively one dimensional killing machine with only the slightest aspects of who and what they are as a species briefly touched on. The first two Predator films are great, Predators was okay and it did at least did something different but this is just...meh.

Uncle Sam
09-21-2018, 02:33 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like a good action movie as much as anyone else but the Predator is just par for the course as far as the franchise goes.

I like a good action movie as much as anyone else: The Predator is not a good action movie. Predator is better. Predator 2 is better. Predators is better. Alien vs. Predator is better. Alien vs. Predator Requiem is... marginally better. At least it has fanservice that I can comprehend fans wanting to see.

At least Prometheus and Alien Covenant look nice... on the whole.

This is just a new low.

Oh well, I guess now we're just waiting for that new Terminator.

Called it.

Which did you think had a better representation of autism as superpower, The Predator or Power Rangers?

Power Rangers doesn't have a biologist claim that autism is the next step in human evolution, or a space alien claim that an autistic child is the human race's greatest warrior so... define "better."

Alex
09-22-2018, 04:37 AM
I thought The Predator was great. I was expecting dumb fun, I got dumb fun. The autism thing was a bit weird but still.

People seem to have the original on a pedestal but seem to forget that it also had dumb jokes and cheesy characters. Maybe it's because it's old/from the 80s people cut it some slack but I don't see anything different between the tone of the original and the tone of this one.

The lore is expanded on a bit with the different kinds of Predators (I know they did it in the last movie but they did a little more this time round). I liked the idea of genetically modifying themselves. It's something a space alien race that hunt stuff all the time would do.

The characters were all memorable and cool. Probably the best charactisation since the first one

I thought the action was pretty good. Could've been better but I can say that for a lot of action movies nowadays.

I'd give it a 6.5/7 out of 10

Y 2 Jake
09-22-2018, 05:56 AM
Predator is supposed to be absurd. The Predator is just absurd.

smarkmouth
09-22-2018, 07:11 AM
Such a shame. I love Predator and Shane Black. Can't believe it went so wrong.

Y 2 Jake
09-30-2018, 04:30 PM
September

☆☆☆☆ Searching and The Breakfast Club
☆☆☆ BlacKkKlansman, Upgrade, The Children Act, The Predator, Christopher Robin, King of Thieves, A Simple Favor and Edie
☆☆ Cold War and The House With A Clock In Its Walls
☆ The Nun

I enjoyed The Predator the same way I enjoyed Justice League

Seeing Fight Club and Vertigo tomorrow. October peaks on day 1

Uncle Sam
10-13-2018, 06:15 AM
Lady Bird ★★★★★
Coco ★★★★★
Paddington 2 ★★★★
Isle of Dogs ★★★★
The Incredibles 2 ★★★★
Mandy ★★★★
Hereditary ★★★★
The Shape of Water ★★★★
A Quiet Place ★★★★
Phantom Thread ★★★★
Annihilation ★★★
Upgrade ★★★
Mute ★★★
Black Panther ★★★
BlacKkKlansman ★★★
Deadpool 2 ★★
Ocean's Eight ★★
The Predator ★

Weirdly, that was exactly what I was expecting from Mandy.

Alex
10-13-2018, 09:01 AM
Saw Venom yesterday. I was reading loads of comments saying it was like an early/mid 2000s superhero movie and I have to agree. It was good the same way the original X-Men movie was good. Standard plot, good action pieces (but not many) and carried by the charisma of the actors involved. I'd give it 2.5/3 out of 5

Uncle Sam
10-13-2018, 10:39 AM
I can barely summon the enthusiasm to drag myself to Venom. "Not as total a trainwreck as you might expect" seems to be the consensus and, honestly, I'd be more interested if it was.