PDA

View Full Version : Rob Gronkowski signs with WWE

BestSportsEntertainer
03-11-2020, 03:39 PM
https://www.thewrap.com/rob-gronkowski-wwe-gronk-signs-friday-night-smackdown-fox-new-england-patriots/

Gronk is one of the most well known NFL players of the last decade and charismatic so... why not?

#AbsoluteUnit
03-11-2020, 08:56 PM
Go for it.

Storm Trooper
03-12-2020, 06:30 AM
This is more along of the lines of "it's about time."

Gronk came off as a Superstar while in the NFL and will be a perfect fit with WWE, as long as he can perform in the ring.

Ideally, he debuts now, has an appearance at Mania, then spends the next 5 months at the PC training and learning. Then he makes his debut in September, right when the NFL season starts.

Jack-Hammer
03-14-2020, 09:40 AM
I'm mixed on this situation.

Gronkowski, I've read, is already worth about $40 or so million but, allegedly, he's also not one of these guys who goes around blowing money left and right as though he's got to show what a big man he is. Still, the man has 3 Super Bowl Championship rings, he's probably making at least mid to upper seven figures as a sports analyst for Fox and you know that any deal he signs with WWE is going to result in him probably making 5 times what someone like Roman Reigns is making while not having nearly the sort of workload.

If his mindset is similar to that of Ronda Rousey, then that's a HUGE plus in my book. Rousey didn't treat it as something she was doing just for shits and giggles, she didn't treat it or approach it as though it was just some little hobby. Now it may have been a hobby when you get right down to it but she didn't treat her time in WWE that way so that works for me. Also, if he's actually willing to get in there and not only learn to wrestle but to actually learn to wrestle and learn to do things that make him stand out, then that's another HUGE plus. I don't just wanna see him come in and do a bunch of football tackles to his opponent that he calls Pounce City while the commentators and the wrestlers sell the move as though they were just hit by a small nuke.

But yeah, for me, the main thing is him going in there and treating it with respect by putting in the effort and hard work to actually be able to be a good professional wrestler rather than a famous athlete playing a pro wrestler for a while.

EnviousDominous
04-10-2020, 02:34 PM
…..…………..for fuck's sake. WWE, I fucking hate you.

Do I enjoy being a downer most of the time when random shit like this happens? Nah, spouting off about it can be a little fun but for the most part I'm left with the feeling that Vince took a shit in my shoe.

Look, we all know what it takes to be a significant part of professional wrestling. Sometimes star power can cloud our outlook, and apparently Gronk's natural disposition toward being an impulsive doofus has left the WWE unable to foresee that he's a one-note moron and he will deliberately mentally wander away from the script when he doesn't do so on accident. Those of us on this forum, please stop being so hopeful, this seriously sucks.

For me; this is the equivalent to what would happen if The Walking Dead introduced Sheldon Cooper as a main cast member, or if Dr. Dre was appointed as the Surgeon General. Gronk got famous for looking adorably similar to how one would imagine Vanilla Ice after a severe head injury. It's apparently entertaining that he fumbles through basic forms of expression as if he was only capable of communicating through an extinct dialect of New England slang and was also suffering from Tourette's Syndrome.

In prowrestling, for my money, you're only a success if you're smart enough to convince a crowd that you're not smart at all. If you're a stupid person playing a stupid person, that comes across like an annoying person trying to amuse me through playing a parody of theirself. In the end, they're just fucking annoying. While Nick Dinsmore's Eugene left the impression of ripping a fart in church, it still stood as an example of Nick's range. Gronk going out there to grunt out mindless nonsense and show less prowrestling skill than an injured Rockette doesn't leave me wondering whether I'm seeing Gronk the person or Gronk the performer. I'm seeing more Gronk these days than any human being should ever have to in a kind and just world.

I'm a fan of The Masked Singer, that's my major revelation of the year. White Tiger came out, and I was like "Oh fuck, that's Gronk". They threw out red herrings as they're wont to do in an effort to imply that White Tiger was really Fabio or Hulk Hogan, but I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE knew that White Tiger was Gronk. What really gave it away for me was how White Tiger was really fucking horrible, to put it mildly. The commentators lauded how he was so much "fun" to watch. This dude was absolute shit on a show where he wore a costume and attempted to perform songs that are beginner level songs for people wanting to try karaoke for the first time. He managed to fuck up the talking lyrics of We Will Rock You, sounding like an asthmatic Wilford Brimley. I get that Masked Singer isn't prowrestling, but it's a presentation based show where Gronk sold himself as though he was too goofy to qualify to play the stereotypical token White guy in a Blacksploitation film.

For me, this is Erick Rowan's pet spider all over again. This is shark jumping on a level that it's as if the WWE took that type of idiocy and stepped it up to produce an exposition where the Starship Enterprise slow-mo flew over a shark planet.