PDA

View Full Version : Should WWE Shut Down For A While?

Jack-Hammer
03-29-2020, 04:00 PM
It's been reported on multiple sites that WWE has taped all of its post WrestleMania content for Raw, SmackDown and NXT through April 10th and did it over the course of the past week, including taping much of WrestleMania. However, the Coronavirus pandemic has forced a number of changes to the show, aside from taking place in the WWE PC without fans in attendance, that include some matches. For instance, Rey Mysterio is under quarantine and was pulled from the show where he was supposed to face Andrade for the US title. So, Andrade was paired with Angel Garza to take on the Street Profits for the Raw Tag Team Championship but Andrade was pulled from the show due to the virus. Murphy also wasn't at the tapings due to being sick and even though he didn't have a match, he'd have probably been ringside for Seth Rollins' match against Kevin Owens. The Miz wasn't at the tapings due to being sick, Roman Reigns pulled out of WrestleMania due to concerns of contracting the virus as he has a compromised immune system due to his cancer treatments, etc..

If you spend any time watching the news, this thing isn't going away anytime soon. Anthony Fauci, one of the top men on the White House Coronavirus Task Force, said today that he expects millions of Americans to contract the virus and expects casualties between 100,000 and 200,000 before things finally get under control. I don't know how many others, if any others, share this opinion but it's certainly not comforting.

Over the past few days, there've been stories out stating that really the only one that's wanted WrestleMania to go forward is Vince McMahon himself. Various writers have stated they've talked to a number of employees including wrestlers, commentators, agents, producers, etc. and all have said Vince is really the only force that's pushed for WrestleMania to go on. Of course, nobody's spoken up as they're worried about losing their spot or essentially committing career suicide by outright refusing to work until this virus is gotten under control.

So, should WWE shut itself down until this thing is licked? Considering that just about every other sports league has, considering that production on blockbuster films & TV shows have been postponed along with numerous other businesses from all walks of life, it may be increasingly irresponsible for WWE not to as time goes by. If cases of the virus continue to go up, that's just that much more of a chance of the wrestlers contracting it while they're traveling to and from WWE TV tapings. If things keep going in this direction, it may well be taken out of Vince's hands altogether if the local and state governments in Florida step in. Of course, it'd also be difficult to go on if the wrestlers themselves grew some balls and said they're not working until the situation is under control; that is, if they're legitimately that concerned. I mean, that's especially true for wrestlers like Reigns, Lesnar, Taker, Rollins, Bryan, Charlotte, Becky, Styles, Anderson, Gallows and a few others. Reigns makes a few million a year, Taker probably makes somewhere around a million per match, Lesnar probably makes double that, Rollins & Bryan both probably have downside guarantees in the high six figures and probably make well over a cool million a year. Charlotte & Becky both signed deals worth $1.2 million per year, which is probably a downside guarantee as well. Braun Strowman has the same deal as Charlotte and Becky. Anderson & Gallows both have $700,000 downside guarantees, Styles probably gets around a million, etc.. If the top talents refuse to work, that'd be encouragement to the ones who aren't making as much. I mean, Vince can bluster, whinney, bleat and moo all he wants but he can't put on a show with no talent.

Yer Maw
03-29-2020, 05:42 PM
Yes.

Storm Trooper
03-30-2020, 12:24 AM
Yes, WWE should cease filming new programming.

So should AEW. And everyone else in sports, entertainment, media, and virtually everywhere else.

Fallout
03-30-2020, 07:25 AM
Absolutely. Anyone who would blame them for doing it is a moron. These are dramatic circumstances completely out of their control. To persevere is foolhardy at best, and potentially dangerous.

Y 2 Jake
03-30-2020, 08:40 AM
Mania should be the end for a while. Imagine the reactions if the post-Mania Raw happens a few months down the line.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
03-30-2020, 10:54 AM
Shut it down until late July. Imagine how hungry people would be for WWE by then? Plus everyone would be well rested and happy to go back to work for Vince' who has enough money to afford the shut down.

BestSportsEntertainer
03-30-2020, 02:57 PM
Definitely. It's a no-brainer.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-30-2020, 03:04 PM
Should it? Yeah, probably. Will it? Doubtful.

JHOLCOMB22
03-30-2020, 03:06 PM
I think a break is a very good idea.
I think its foolish to blame them continuing all on Vince. I read reports daily about how athletes in every sport (including ones who have had athletes contact the virus) want to go out and play now and would if they could. I think plenty of people, while worried, are still happy to work as long as its safe. Either thats how WWE has been, or they are very good at covering up the fact that anyone has gotten sick.
They filmed enough through the week after Mania last week sometime because Florida set a deadline. I think they will be forced to take a break from live content whether by choice or not. But they can easily put on shows filled with past content, or past specials, or anything. The library is vast.

Fire Marshall Bill
03-30-2020, 10:01 PM
It could survive the stoppage, but it?s a scary enough industry I don?t think they?d take the chance. Plus add in the fact that there?s a new startup that can?t afford to shut down, WWE would only stop if it were absolutely necessary.

mrluck_07
04-06-2020, 12:42 PM
Should it? Yeah, probably. Will it? Doubtful.

My sentiments exactly! The MITB has already been announced for May.

Jack-Hammer
04-12-2020, 10:30 AM
It's been announced the past few days that WWE will also return to live TV. Understandably, this is said to have upset a lot of the talent but the reason for this is because WWE is only allowed to tape a certain amount of shows under their current deals with NBC Universal and Fox. According to the reports, this could mean that the networks could dramatically alter how much money WWE is getting paid or could POSSIBLY mean they could cancel the deals altogether.

As of right now, WWE is getting $440 million per year from Fox and NBC Universal, $205 million from Fox and $235 million from NBC Universal, over a 5 year stretch. This comes to a total of $2.2 billion from its two TV deals. Now, the $440 million is a substantial portion of WWE's revenue, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 42-45% of the company's overall revenue when compared to the past couple of years. Due to the pandemic, WWE isn't able to perform in front of live crowds, hence no revenue from ticket sales for house shows, TV tapings or PPVs is coming in. As a result, it makes the $440 million their getting for TV rights fees even more important than they already are.

It's a lousy situation no matter what but considering that this would mean financial ruin for WWE, I can't say that I exactly blame Vince for this. I mean...well...what's he supposed to do? Stand around with one thumb up his ass and the other in his mouth while the company his family created and has built upon for 60+ years goes tit up? The talent might be upset, which is, again, understandable especially as it was announced that someone in WWE has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus and did work WrestleMania. Vince may get blamed for being greedy but, the way I look at it, is that it's the talent in this situation. We keep "hearing" about how pissed off so many of them are for this and for that, but they keep right on towing the line. If the WWE stars are that concerned, then they can take the Roman Reigns route and just tell Vince they're not coming in until this thing is gotten under control. Vince can't have a wrestling show if he doesn't have any wrestlers. Of course, pro wrestlers are some of the biggest bullshitters to ever be squeezed out of a woman's womb and even if a good number did decide to stop working, I'd be willing to bet others would use this as an opportunity to try and advance their own careers. If the Usos, Sasha Banks, Braun Strowman and Daniel Bryan didn't show up, maybe the B-Team, Dana Brooke, Mojo Rawley and Drew Gulak would with the message being "We're loyal, we're willing to do what it takes to get to the top and make those big paychecks where the bigger stars aren't." Who knows? Maybe Vince sees it and agrees.

Again, we all blast Vince at any given time over one reason or another, most of the time with justification, but if Vince feels that WWE's TV deals are threatened, or if they legitimately are in jeopardy, then I can't slam the guy for trying to avoid losing billions of dollars and financial health of his family business.

BestSportsEntertainer
04-12-2020, 07:56 PM
I'd rather take less money from companies who don't pressure me to run live shows during pandemics.

#AbsoluteUnit
04-12-2020, 09:05 PM
I'd rather take less money from companies who don't pressure me to run live shows during pandemics.

I see your point and to be honest you're not wrong. Would you be against taping shows in advance?

BestSportsEntertainer
04-13-2020, 12:04 AM
Yes. I would've stopped everything the week the NBA did. It's dangerous and irresponsible, and imagine what happens if someone in WWE gets the virus.

Yer Maw
04-13-2020, 03:15 AM
Yes. I would've stopped everything the week the NBA did. It's dangerous and irresponsible, and imagine what happens if someone in WWE gets the virus.

Someone has tested positive for it apparently

#AbsoluteUnit
04-13-2020, 05:47 PM
WWE was named as an "Essential business" today.

BestSportsEntertainer
04-13-2020, 05:56 PM
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1249810882961403904

#AbsoluteUnit
04-13-2020, 06:00 PM
He seems upset.

BestSportsEntertainer
04-13-2020, 06:03 PM
It's hard to even get upset because corruption is so common.

Just to be clear, AEW shouldn't get a pass either.

Y 2 Jake
04-14-2020, 04:57 AM
Fresh WWE scandal when somebody dies and they plough on regardless. Cool.

BestSportsEntertainer
04-14-2020, 05:22 PM
https://411mania.com/wrestling/linda-mcmahon-trump-super-pac-florida-wwe/

As I was talking about yesterday, corruption is so common this isn't even a big story.