PDA

View Full Version : AEW needs to stop appealing to the IWC

Fallout
08-17-2020, 06:20 PM
The fact Meltzer compared Cody, MJF and Moxley to Austin, HHH and Rock is about the cretinous thing I've heard and these are words that would come out of a fanboy's mouth at best, not a supposedly acclaimed wrestler analyst (who rated the Wrestlemania 3 main event negative stars because it didn't have flippy shit, but that's beside the point.)

But it does raise a legitimate suggestion for AEW, who I want to succeed, given WWE's catastrophic mass failures. Can they create a product that doesn't solely pander to Reddit and Meltzer's specific tastes that border, if not cross the lines of an autistic spectrum disorder, and actually create something of substance within the industry, or are they doomed to fail like any prospective competition against the WWE post-WCW?

BestSportsEntertainer
08-17-2020, 06:56 PM
How's AEW appealing to hardcore fans in ways WWE isn't?

#AbsoluteUnit
08-17-2020, 07:15 PM
Completely agree with you Fallout.

Jack-Hammer
08-18-2020, 10:58 AM
I don't worry about anything Dave Meltzer says anymore to be quite honest. I mean, I'd read up on some of his opinions sometimes just to see what he thought but I don't even do that anymore. As a historian, Meltzer may well be the very best journalist in pro wrestling but when it comes to modern wrestling, he's a complete fanboy now. He no longer even tries to hide his bias against WWE and a he started losing a lot of credibility a few years back when he started drooling all over everything New Japan was doing.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like WWE doesn't do some downright idiotic things sometimes, or behave in questionable manners, and calling them out on it is all well and good. If someone's not into WWE, that's also just fine. Different strokes for different folks I always say. However, Meltzer is using past credibility to build up some AEW stars in ways that aren't just misleading, they're outright laughable. A while back, he made similar comparisons between Marko Stunt and Rey Mysterio and that was when he lost all and complete credibility in my eyes. If he wants to be an AEW fanboy, that's fine but he's trying to simultaneously say that he's an unbiased journalist and it's complete bullshit. Dave Meltzer has sort of become the Fox News of pro wrestling. Fox News constantly tries to claim it doesn't have a pro-Republican bias just like Meltzer tries to claim he doesn't have an AEW bias but all you have to do is watch, listen and read stories from either of them to know that their stances on being unbiased isn't true.

I like AEW, don't get me wrong on that, but AEW is not this game changing, profession altering wrestling company that's completely revolutionized the pro wrestling industry. They're putting out a consistently good product and that's a great thing for them and for wrestling fans, but Meltzer very, very, very, very much exaggerates them to such a degree that I'm genuinely starting to wonder if he might secretly be on AEW's payroll.