PDA

View Full Version : Rex Tillerson Fired as Secretary of State

Slyfox696
03-13-2018, 08:12 AM
Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-rex-tillerson-out-at-state-dept-cias-pompeo-to-replace-him-live-updates/

So the news came early this morning that Rex Tillerson was fired by President Donald Trump this morning as Secretary of State, to be replaced (presumably) with current CIA Director Mike Pompeo.

This marks the latest departure from the Trump Administration, which has already seen the highest turnover in modern presidential history. I've actually lost track of how many people have left the administration at this point, which is probably good because, despite being reasonably intelligent and reasonably well educated, I do not believe I can count that high. Apparently, President Trump made the decision to fire Tillerson last Friday, but did not even meet with Tillerson to explain the decision or to fire him in person.

Discuss this new development, or anything loosely related to it, here if you'd like.

Jack-Hammer
03-13-2018, 10:55 AM
From what I understand, Tillerson seems to have been let go for the same general reason as the others: he didn't agree with or back up Trump 100% of the time.

Donald Trump runs his administration with the mind set that if he appoints you to a job, he pretty much owns you, your thoughts, your feelings and your opinions. Any deviation from that results in juvenile insults, often on Twitter, that sometimes escalates over a period of weeks or months before the person is either fired or hands in his/her resignation.

Basically, it's part for the course when it comes to Trump as president. If he's not belittling members of his own administration or political party, he's either shooting his mouth off without knowing most of what he's talking about or says something that large percentages of the population consider insulting and/or racist. Yup, it must be Tuesday.

JGlass
03-13-2018, 11:02 AM
The CIA director, Mike Pompeo, is going to be taking over for Tillerson, which has me confused because supposedly Trump has a severe aversion to the intelligence community.

The woman who is taking over for Pompeo is a big advocate of torture and lied to protect the torture program during the Bush administration. So in good news for Trump supporters, it looks like he'll be able to keep another campaign promise of including more torture in our foreign policy. This dude just can't stop winning.

Big Nick Dudley
03-13-2018, 11:06 AM
I didn't want Tillerson to start with, but Jesus Christ... This administration is such a disaster. Just give the job to Kushner and the CIA to Ivanka.

Fallout
03-13-2018, 03:16 PM
It's like the Trump administration is being held together with sellotape and used pieces of chewing gum at this point.

What's worse is that the Democrats, save for a couple of individuals like Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders, are possibly even worse right now.

Fallout
03-13-2018, 03:28 PM
Double post because I can't edit, but I found a list of all the Trump cabinet that have gone since January 2017.

http://static1.uk.businessinsider.com/image/5aa7cc547708e9646a54d4e7-1200/and-here-is-the-list-of-notable-departures-price-and-tillerson-were-cabinet-members.jpg

This many departures in such a short space of time is nothing short of horrifying.

Big Nick Dudley
03-13-2018, 03:39 PM
Democrats could really use Mrs. Obama and Mr. Biden. Not Oprah or The Rock (if he's even a progressive).

Sully
03-13-2018, 04:00 PM
From what I understand, Tillerson seems to have been let go for the same general reason as the others: he didn't agree with or back up Trump 100% of the time.

Donald Trump runs his administration with the mind set that if he appoints you to a job, he pretty much owns you, your thoughts, your feelings and your opinions. Any deviation from that results in juvenile insults, often on Twitter, that sometimes escalates over a period of weeks or months before the person is either fired or hands in his/her resignation.

Basically, it's part for the course when it comes to Trump as president. If he's not belittling members of his own administration or political party, he's either shooting his mouth off without knowing most of what he's talking about or says something that large percentages of the population consider insulting and/or racist. Yup, it must be Tuesday.

I thought the whole point of having advisors is so they can tell you when you're wrong and how to make things better?

A11
03-13-2018, 06:17 PM
Its a fine balancing act having an administration that loyally and blindly follows trump's plan because they believe in his vision and a forceful dictatorship. I get why trump wants people in that support him but eventually it'll be a proper shit show

Jack-Hammer
03-13-2018, 08:35 PM
I thought the whole point of having advisors is so they can tell you when you're wrong and how to make things better?

Sure, that's logical. The problem is that logic isn't necessarily the most abundant resource in Trump's White House.

Trump is someone that's spent most of his adult life as basically the master of his own universe and he runs the White House like he runs his companies, or at least he tries to. He believes that he should have absolute control, he wants absolute control, and the fact that he simply can't do whatever he feels like is a constant source of frustration for him as POTUS. His advisors and appointees have to sometimes tell him things that he doesn't like or agree with, there's simply no way around that in some situations. Most of them have resigned and I'd say there are varied reasons for that. For some, I just don't think they could continue handling the crazy. For some, they were just constantly clashing with Trump over one thing or another and just had enough. For some, the writing was probably on the wall that Trump just didn't like their performance.

Yaz
03-14-2018, 03:09 AM
Sure, that's logical. The problem is that logic isn't necessarily the most abundant resource in Trump's White House.

Trump is someone that's spent most of his adult life as basically the master of his own universe and he runs the White House like he runs his companies, or at least he tries to. He believes that he should have absolute control, he wants absolute control, and the fact that he simply can't do whatever he feels like is a constant source of frustration for him as POTUS. His advisors and appointees have to sometimes tell him things that he doesn't like or agree with, there's simply no way around that in some situations. Most of them have resigned and I'd say there are varied reasons for that. For some, I just don't think they could continue handling the crazy. For some, they were just constantly clashing with Trump over one thing or another and just had enough. For some, the writing was probably on the wall that Trump just didn't like their performance.

Yeah, this is pretty on point. Trump is a guy who, for most of his adult life, was in control and with his riches could do just about anything.

The reports come out all the time that in his briefings, his staff has to basically coddle him and only let him view positive news about him. He is a man child who can't handle criticism or negative things about him. It is why Twitter is a perfect platform for him. He can say what he wants, soak in the praise from his unwavering base, and block those who don't worship and praise him. It would not surprise me at all if more than one of his firings has been because someone dared question his logic or point out flaws. in his plans

Slyfox696
03-14-2018, 06:28 AM
I get why trump wants people in that support him but eventually it'll be a proper shit showEventually??

A11
03-15-2018, 08:20 AM
Eventually??
It hasnt really turned to shit yet, its not been great but the world keeps going on. I havent watched the news in a while, has he gone through with his tariffs on all steel or did he end up giving the australian steel an exemption? That could be fun the government over here said if he does that we could be headed for a recession. I'm only trying to get into the workforce that wont completely fuck that at all

Slyfox696
03-15-2018, 12:20 PM
It hasnt really turned to shit yet, its not been great but the world keeps going on. I havent watched the news in a while, has he gone through with his tariffs on all steel or did he end up giving the australian steel an exemption? That could be fun the government over here said if he does that we could be headed for a recession. I'm only trying to get into the workforce that wont completely fuck that at allI'll be honest, it's such a cluster anymore, I don't even remember.

Big Nick Dudley
03-17-2018, 06:46 AM
Trump is garbage, and the media has done a fantastic job desensitizing the public to his many legitimate fuck-ups. Cannot treat every move like it's the end of civilization. It energizes his base and makes a lot of non-political people look at the coverage as overly critical. He causes enough real problems, stop covering the small stuff under a constant "BREAKING NEWS" banner.