PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards

klunderbunker
03-15-2018, 11:33 AM
Theyâ??re back! So what if itâ??s mid-March? Thatâ??s totally fine in announcing the annual New Japan is Better Than You Awards and thatâ??s what we have here. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards are back and I already have a bad feeling about them. As usual Iâ??ll be listing the winners and giving a quick comment about each. I wonâ??t list the top five for each unless something stands out to me.

1. Wrestler of the Year â?? Kazuchika Okada

Yep. Aside from AJ Styles, thereâ??s no one in the same universe right now.

2. Most Outstanding Wrestler â?? Kazuchika Okada

I say it every year and I have it explained to me every year but I still have no idea why these first two both need to exist.

3. Tag Team of the Year â?? The Young Bucks

Maybe the Usos can win next year if they name a move after Meltzer.

4. Best on Interviews â?? Conor McGregor

Oh here we go. Again: it certainly must help when you only have to talk when youâ??re getting ready for a fight and have no restrictions. I have no idea why this is considered a fair comparison but maybe Iâ??m just too much of a wrestling fan to understand these things.

5. Promotion of the Year â?? New Japan

Makes sense. WWE had a good but not great year and New Japan is almost always quality.

6. Best Weekly TV Show â?? New Japan on AXS

Being a highlight/Best Of show certainly must help. Being the Elite was fourth and Raw was NINTH. Itâ??s really not that bad people.

7. Match of the Year â?? Okada vs. Omega â?? Wrestle Kingdom

No WWE match in the top five, Okada with four of the top five. You knew this was getting the top spot and nothing else was going to come close, but thatâ??s to be expected.

8. Feud of the Year â?? Okada vs. Omega

I didnâ??t even have to look at the results. UFC had two of the top five spots.

9. Most Charismatic â?? Tetsuya Naito

Fair enough. Iâ??ve liked what Iâ??ve seen from him.

10. Best Technical Wrestler Zach Sabre Jr.

That guy does stuff that I canâ??t even describe and makes it look like the most natural thing in the world. Itâ??s rare that I consider someone a treat to watch but thatâ??s the case with him.

11. Best Brawler â?? Tomohiro Ishii

Not my style but I get it.

12. Best Flying Wrestler â?? Will Ospreay

Yep. Well maybe Ricochet, who came in second.

13. Most Overrated â?? Jinder Mahal

WWE got four of the top six (with five being a tie). Braun Strowman was ninth. Seriously.

14. Most Underrated â?? Rusev

I usually scratch my head at this one but thereâ??s very little argument here.

15. Rookie of the Year â?? Ketsuya Kitamura

Iâ??ve heard good things so sure.

16. Best Non-Wrestler â?? Daniel Bryan

This is a sentimental pick as Zelina Vega ran away with this thing (and finished second).

17. Best TV Announcer â?? Mauro Ranallo

You knew that was getting the pick and I canâ??t argue with it.

18. Worst TV Announcer â?? Booker T.

Iâ??d have gone with Watson, who took second. At least Booker has a resume while Watson is just a person you might remember if you like stupid gimmicks and bad wrestling.

19. Best Major Wrestling Show â?? Wrestle Kingdom XI

Iâ??d have gone with Takeover: Chicago but this is more than acceptable.

20. Worst Major Wrestling Show â?? Battleground

It had the Punjabi Prison match.

21. Best Wrestling Move â?? One Winged Angel

You know, that move that he hits over and over and barely ever wins with the thing.

22. Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic â?? WWE Promoting Jimmy Snuka As A Hero

Yeah thatâ??s kind of hard to argue.

23. Worst TV Show â?? Raw

OH SCREW OFF! This award should be named after Impact but itâ??s WWE so we must run it into the ground. Good grief no.

24. Worst Match of the Year â?? Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton â?? Wrestlemania XXXIII

The title that Bruno, Hogan and Austin wore was involved in a match containing roaches and maggots. Moving on.

25. Worst Feud of the Year â?? Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton

It was either this or Mahal vs. Orton.

26. Worst Promotion â?? TNA

But remember: they had a better weekly TV show and not as bad of a pay per view!

27. Best Booker â?? Gedo

Again, didnâ??t need to look.

28. Promoter of the Year â?? Takaai Kidani â?? New Japan

Same duh as before.

29. Best Gimmick â?? Los Ingobernables de Japon

Velveteen Dream got second.

30. Worst Gimmick â?? Bray Wyatt and Sister Abigail

Iâ??d go with Mahal for longevity as Abigail was only a few weeks long.

31. Best Pro-Wrestling Book â?? Crazy Like a Fox: The Brian Pillman Story

I need to get that as Iâ??ve heard good things.

32. Best Documentary â?? Ric Flair: 30 For 30

Like it was going to be anything else.

So yeah: if you're in New Japan, you get a complimentary award. If you're from WWE, you're overrated by definition, except for Rusev.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-15-2018, 11:39 AM
It's 2018 though bro.

klunderbunker
03-15-2018, 11:40 AM
It's 2018 though bro.

I know. These are the awards for 2017.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-15-2018, 11:43 AM
I'm an idiot. Carry on.

Yaz
03-15-2018, 11:48 AM
They are fan voted awards by people who follow Meltzer, I'm not surprised by the hard dick they get for NJPW each year. Viewing Meltzer as one of the most reliable sources of information in the business and a historian is fine, he certainly has the credentials. It is the people who latch onto his (highly biased) opinions and view it as law handed down from God to Moses to be chiseled into stone that are the issue.

Pro wrestling isn't a science, it is an art form and like all art, it is open to interpretation. There is no set thing that makes wrestling good or bad. I find the Young Bucks extremely overrated, but I can't tell people who like them that they are wrong. I can call them stupid or sheep, but if you like something then you like it. That is why fan voted awards from a biased source shouldn't matter.

Spidey
03-15-2018, 12:01 PM
From a production standpoint, I can see why people voted Raw as the worst TV show this year. It's overproduced. As a fan, I like being kept in suspense on things. If something came out of left field, then my eyes are glued to the screen. Wrestling should be imaginative. WWE has telegraphed every major feud last year, including the crown jewel Roman Reigns vs. Lesnar that fans saw coming miles away. There is a wave of predictability with the product as of late that can't be ignored. That on top of them rushing the build for Wrestlemania, the terrible typography that killed their live kayfabe, no narrative this year that captivated the audience further than "this guy will fight that guy", then yeah, it getting the award is not the most unreasonable choice. I think there are several better options out there for worst, obviously, but I can see why it won.

And the Sister Abigail gimmick has longevity over Jinder Mahal. It was a thing for years.

klunderbunker
03-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Sister Abigail has been mentioned. Actually showing her was a step too far.

smarkmouth
03-15-2018, 12:28 PM
10. Best Technical Wrestler Zach Sabre Jr.

That guy does stuff that I canâ??t even describe and makes it look like the most natural thing in the world. Itâ??s rare that I consider someone a treat to watch but thatâ??s the case with him.

Agreed. I was really disappointed when he didn't make the CWC finals, but I've been a fan since that tournament. I don't watch much outside WWE, but I've been tracking down his matches. On top of KB's analysis, I'd like to add that he may have the deepest well of submission holds that ALL look AMAZING.

13. Most Overrated â?? Jinder Mahal

WWE got four of the top six (with five being a tie). Braun Strowman was ninth. Seriously.

I mean, were there so many people singing Jinder's praises? They had a little experiment with him, it didn't work out, and WWE moved on. This is the biggest problem I have with readers' choice awards. Everyone just has contradictory or inconsistent criteria.

18. Worst TV Announcer â?? Booker T.

Iâ??d have gone with Watson, who took second. At least Booker has a resume while Watson is just a person you might remember if you like stupid gimmicks and bad wrestling.

I like to give Percy a little leeway myself. NXT is my favourite brand, but I have to sometimes remind myself that this is the developmental brand. Percy deserves time to learn, and I think he's improving.

25. Worst Feud of the Year â?? Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton

Their match absolutely earned Worst Match, but I don't agree with calling it the Worst Feud. I call it one of the better ones. Randy joining the Wyatt's, while we all knew he was in the family to tear it down, was never presented or teased as such. Randy even took the bullet for Bray on more than one occasion. Well executed but spectacularly failed the payoff.

Undying
03-15-2018, 12:31 PM
Orton absolutely wreaked of suckage last year.

Echelon
03-15-2018, 01:47 PM
I always take these awards (and PWI's too) with a grain of salt because they're subjective. Voted on by fans of WON. Many of whom have a clear bias towards Japanese and Indy wrestling. The only win that seems like common sense to me was WWE promoting Jimmy Snuka as a hero winning most disgusting promotional tactic. WWE naming a women's wrestling battle royale in honor of the Fabulous Moolah seems like a shoe-in for the winner of that category next year. Ric Flair's documentary almost seems like a common sense win too, but I don't recall it having much competition. I doubt the Andre documentary will either.

Jack-Hammer
03-15-2018, 02:32 PM
I generally don't pay much attention to these things. To me, they're something sorta interesting to talk about and that's about it.

As with the PWI awards, Meltzer's awards are voted on by fans. The thing is they're voted on by fans who basically view Dave Meltzer as their prophet, parrot anything he says and take whatever he says as gospel.

Meltzer has a raging bias against WWE and bias towards Japanese wrestling, he pretty much always has and he doesn't even try to hide it. For instance, of all the various 5 Star Matches, the vast majority of them have been awarded to either All Japan or New Japan while WWE, in its entirety, only has a total of six. As a source on wrestling history and what goes on, he's beyond credible but that's where it ends for me.

BestSportsEntertainer
03-15-2018, 04:23 PM
I don't have any problem with any of these. It's just Meltzer's opinion, and even he admitted he was biased towards NJPW.

ShinChan
03-15-2018, 10:51 PM
21. Best Wrestling Move â?? One Winged Angel

You know, that move that he hits over and over and barely ever wins with the thing.

I think that you got confused between One Winged Angel & Rainmaker.

klunderbunker
03-15-2018, 11:51 PM
The main thing I remember with that is Okada kicking out.

ShinChan
03-16-2018, 12:55 AM
The main thing I remember with that is Okada kicking out.
You mean Okada kicking out of One Winged Angel? That hasn't happened. Unless we count rope break as a kick out.

Yaz
03-16-2018, 02:40 AM
Ibushi kicked out in DDT a few times, but the One Winged Angel has never been kicked out of in New Japan. Just rope breaks.

klunderbunker
03-16-2018, 02:53 AM
You mean Okada kicking out of One Winged Angel? That hasn't happened. Unless we count rope break as a kick out.

I do.

Ibushi kicked out in DDT a few times, but the One Winged Angel has never been kicked out of in New Japan. Just rope breaks.

Eh same thing.

ShinChan
03-16-2018, 03:46 AM
Exactly, Yaz. Rainmaker has been kickout off by almost everyone. It's like John Cena's Attitude Adjustment.

But Omega's One Winged Angel has almost always finished his matches. On single execution as well. So, not executing over and over again. That is Rainmaker.

Yaz
03-16-2018, 03:56 AM
For the record I think the move looks cool but I don't think it is safe. One guy forgets to tuck his head or Omega lifts a guy he can't really flip and we have another Jesse Sorensen.

Better than the Rainmaker though.

DNA 2.0
03-16-2018, 06:56 AM
What did the Young Bucks do that makes them tag team of the year?? And why is Okada "outstanding"? I get him being voted the best, accomplishments and impact wise.. but he's not outstanding. AJ Styles is the one that's outstanding.

In 2017, AJ had an amazing match with Cena to start the year. Then gave Shane an actual wrestling match that was above average. Then won the US title in MSG, then became the first person to win the WWE title outside of the US, plus had three amazing PPV matches on a row: Balor, Lesnar, Mahal.

Raw was definitely not the worst wrestling show this year. Impact and SD come first. And I can't call Bray v Orton the worst match of the year... The Survivor Series main event was far worse.

Fallout
03-16-2018, 10:28 AM
I don't mind the PWI awards as they tend to come from a more neutral perspective; and are far less smarky in nature. The WON awards however, are basically a Meltzer dick-slurping contest, coupled with a Japanese victory lap, random MMA awards, and "lol WWE are so behind the times, man."

I don't hate Meltzer, I think he's a very intelligent wrestling mind, but his fanboys are insufferable. As in, so bad they make me not want to watch puro at all, and can be as bad as the worst Rick And Morty fans.

Jack-Hammer
03-16-2018, 06:08 PM
I also don't agree that Raw was the worst TV show, not even remotely close. I agree that it can be inconsistent but it's generally pretty solid most of the time. New Japan on AXS TV isn't remotely a traditional TV show. There are no storylines or angles, it's mostly just them showing the top matches from ppvs and/or tournaments. If I'm not mistaken, they aired the entire G1 Climax tournament last year, long after it happened btw, and given that the show is only an hour each week, that in and of itself provided months worth of content each week. From top to bottom, NXT has been the most consistently good wrestling TV program for several years now, at least in my opinion.

Darkest Timeline
03-17-2018, 01:56 AM
What did the Young Bucks do that makes them tag team of the year?? And why is Okada "outstanding"? I get him being voted the best, accomplishments and impact wise.. but he's not outstanding. AJ Styles is the one that's outstanding.

In 2017, AJ had an amazing match with Cena to start the year. Then gave Shane an actual wrestling match that was above average. Then won the US title in MSG, then became the first person to win the WWE title outside of the US, plus had three amazing PPV matches on a row: Balor, Lesnar, Mahal.
The Young Bucks held the ROH tag titles for 8 months of the year and made 10 successful defenses, they won the IWGP junior tag belts for the sixth time and held them simultaneously with the ROH belts, and they also spent the first 3 months of the year as PWG champs before ending a nearly two year reign. Then they threw in a 6-man title reign with Adam Page the night after dropping the regular ROH tag straps. And they did it all while putting up like 20 four star matches and having the best tag match all year against the Hardyz on Mania weekend.

They more than earned the award.

As for Okada, he had the best year by any metric. He held the IWGP title every single day of the year, and it can be realistically argued that he had the best year from a match quality standpoint that anyone has had in the last 30+ years.

klunderbunker
03-17-2018, 03:37 AM
The Young Bucks held the ROH tag titles for 8 months of the year and made 10 successful defenses, they won the IWGP junior tag belts for the sixth time and held them simultaneously with the ROH belts, and they also spent the first 3 months of the year as PWG champs before ending a nearly two year reign. Then they threw in a 6-man title reign with Adam Page the night after dropping the regular ROH tag straps. And they did it all while putting up like 20 four star matches and having the best tag match all year against the Hardyz on Mania weekend.

They more than earned the award.

As for Okada, he had the best year by any metric. He held the IWGP title every single day of the year, and it can be realistically argued that he had the best year from a match quality standpoint that anyone has had in the last 30+ years.

Well you SUPERKICK!!!

And did I menSUPERKICK!

FLIP DIVES WITH MELTZER REFERENCES!!!

They have a stupid SUPERKICK gimmick, they're not funny, and they SUPERKICK embrace the idea that flipping makes you talented. The Young SUPERKICK Bucks are everything wrong with indy wrestling and have been for a SUPERKICK long time.

Yaz
03-17-2018, 05:10 AM
Not that I like them, but how can they be wrong? Wrestling has no set definition of what makes for good or bad. You can dislike them and find them overrated and gimmicky, I totally agree, but to say they are what is wrong with indy wrestling, when indy wrestling is thriving like it never has before is off base.

klunderbunker
03-17-2018, 06:00 AM
Not that I like them, but how can they be wrong? Wrestling has no set definition of what makes for good or bad. You can dislike them and find them overrated and gimmicky, I totally agree, but to say they are what is wrong with indy wrestling, when indy wrestling is thriving like it never has before is off base.

As Chief Justice Potter Stewart said on obscenity: I may not know how to define it, but I know it when I see it.

That's the case with bad wrestling.