PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular/Controversial Opinions

Yaz
03-17-2018, 05:05 AM
In another installment of "Man, Yaz, you really need to post this super cool topic instead of sleeping" I bring you this. (Also, yeah I refer to myself in the third person and by my username instead of my actual name)

What are some unpopular or controversial opinions you hold? Could be something simple like you think Game of Thrones is overrated. Could be something fairly big, like you think vaccines cause autism. Maybe it is something so unspeakable that the entire internet turns on you, like saying strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

All I ask is that you
1) Defend your position. Don't just say "I don't like black people because they look funny." Give an actual explanation as to why you feel the way you feel.
2) Post something that is actually unpopular or controversial. Example, a lot of the more prominent posters here and back in Safe Space are pretty liberal, so saying that America needs gun control isn't exactly unpopular here.
3) Don't be hateful. If you want to argue that white people should be allowed to say nigger, then by all means go for it. That is an opinion that fits and isn't inherently hateful toward anyone. Just make sure to steer clear of making it hateful. Also, don't argue in defense of rape or sexual assault or pedophilia. It is one thing to make an argument saying certain crimes are worse than others, but don't be a fucking incel or Phenom.
4) Be civil. I know this topic is likely to cause many rustled jimmies and give ample opportunity for people to use snowflake, but that isn't my purpose. I genuinely want to see discussion and see why certain people feel the way they feel about things. It is hard to call yourself open minded if you never allow your mind to open and hear other views. It is completely okay to disagree with people, but be civil about it.

I'll even go first and post two of my own opinions that some people may find unpopular or controversial.

1) Fat acceptance has gone way too far.
Look, I'm fat. No matter how you slice it, I'm fat. Now I'm usually okay with this, being fat isn't something to be inherently ashamed of. I'm fairly comfortable in my skin, and you should be too. If you want to change that though, then go for it. So long as YOU are comfortable, then that is all that should matter.

The issue is that the people who try to campaign for fat acceptance and stop anti fat bias seem to forget a couple of things. First off, yes, fat people do face discrimination. Anti fat bias is a thing. I'm not just talking about the whole "People think I'm ugly because I'm fat" routine people pull. Being fat doesn't automatically make you ugly. I'm handsome as fuck. Anyway, aside from body image issues, fat people are often passed over for employment opportunities, and are often associated with negative personality traits. Even Chris Christie faced political discrimination for his weight, facing accusations that his weight made him unfit to be President. So yeah, the bias exists, but the activists forget fat people can change. We can lose weight. We can improve. If we choose not to, we shouldn't be given shit for it, but to act like the discrimination we face is the same as gender or race discrimination is ludicrous. And don't get me started on the whole fat is a disability BS.

They also forget that being fat isn't healthy. The whole Healthy At Any Size theory is fine. Not everyone has the same genetic makeup or lifestyle, so what works to keep you healthy may not work for the next guy. The idea that you can be perfectly healthy while still being obese is bullshit though. Obesity is a medical condition. It isn't some ugly slur that was made up to insult fat people. Yeah, being fat doesn't automatically mean you are gonna die at 32 of a massive heart attack or your arteries are so clogged that you could scrape off the cholesterol for your toast, but it puts you at an increased risk.

So yeah, fat people should be treated like average people. Fat shouldn't automatically equal negative. Big people can be attractive. Just stop acting like 99% of the reason you are fat isn't your own fault and stop trying to argue that being 5'4 and 320 pounds is healthy.

2) LGBT people whose entire identity is based upon their sexuality annoy me
First off, I think basing your entire identity off of one thing is foolish and silly. Secondly, I have no issue with the LGBT community. I think they deserve equal rights and even though I don't fully understand all of it, they shouldn't face discrimination or persecution for what they are.

That said, the individuals who never shut up about their sexuality or gender and make that one trait (can you call it a trait? I don't know a better term) their entire identity are annoying and I think they do harm to the LGBT movement.

Look, I get it as much as a white cis male in America can get discrimination, you are happy that your people are finally gaining acceptance and you are proud of who you are. Great! You shouldn't be ashamed of being born who you are. The issue, I find, is those who are just completely in your face with it. For instance, my girlfriend has a cousin who "came out" a little over a year ago. Now I say that because most of us don't believe her to actually be lesbian. She has a long history of failed relationships and dating fuckboys. Her baby daddy ran out on her when she was 16, she has been cheated on constantly, she has been used just for sex. I mean her dating life was a mess and I felt a bit sorry for her. She started in on the whole "men are trash, boys ain't shit, I don't need a man, I'm over guys" routine and not long after she came out that she was dating another girl. Aside from the stereotypical social media attention whoring she did to claim she was over men, she goes super out of her way to remind people she is gay. Nine out of ten of her Facebook posts a day will be related to her sexuality. Most of the time they aren't even pro LGBT posts, they are just her sharing pictures of half naked female celebrities with captions like :100::100::fire::fire: (and other emojis Sly hasn't added) or shit like this -

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1937228_957143937673946_1335220943707853025_n.jpg? _nc_eui2=v1%3AAeEAZUI4aCT9RGJaJfwwTP3f1fr-gJs6KQRlzMwsNFkiwyw9JAf8YrCrkHQFgptGpBI3enpAT2AsBr 9QXcSwAc2A9gSlAKHlNy389qb2sqfcKw&oh=00d40943c4b6bc06839a04930e52a10a&oe=5AFFA33A

To me, that implies that sexuality is a choice and defeats the entire born this way argument. So yeah, I think this is more of an attention seeking thing than her being legit gay, but the point stands for those who are truly gay. She also constantly pushes her agenda on her six year old daughter, which I don't agree with no matter your stance. Kids aren't political pawns.

Anyway. You don't need to constantly remind people of your struggle. You don't need to ostracize people who aren't voicing their pro LGBT opinions all the time. Don't assume people are homo/transphobic because your behavior is off putting. The community act like if you don't support their issues 100% of the time, then you are a hateful bigot. Like, I don't at all understand gender fluidity or how someone can not be happy with their gender/feel they were born the wrong gender. I don't get it at all, but I don't know enough about it to say they are wrong and they aren't really doing anyone any harm so who am I to stop them? That said, I don't think ten year olds need to be getting treatments to undergo gender reassignment. I understand that as science and society progress that what used to be weird or wrong is becoming accepted. Being gay used to be a mental disorder. I just don't think a ten year old would be able to fully grasp gender identity when even I struggle with the concept in my late 20s. My feeling that way doesn't make me transphobic, I just don't think, even with parental permission, that you should be getting a new gender when you can't even get a tattoo until you are 18.

I want to touch on the topic of how if you don't support LGBT issues 100% of the time you are hateful again. About five or six years ago, my girlfriend at the time had a close friend who was gay. Dude was a lovely fella, just a joy to be around. He was funny, enjoyed video games, was creative. Just my kind of guy. One time he invited us to a gay bar to watch a drag show. She was all for it, I was kinda eh on the idea. Not that I dislike drag, that shit is legit. I was just worried about the whole feeling out of place thing. He assured me that aside from the fact that dudes would be kissing dudes and ladies kissing ladies, it was a normal bar and they could even give straight folks wristbands to designate them as such. That whole concept seemed like I was going to be some tourist visiting a zoo or some shit, but women are convincing. We go to the place and it was like Rick Perry's worst nightmare. I was super uncomfortable because I was being touched on without my permission, people were loud and flamboyant and causing scenes the entire night, there was loud and open talks describing pretty explicit sexual acts, there were rubber dicks everywhere, it just wasn't my kind of place, gay or straight. I excused myself and ended up walking outside to get some air and this apparently was offensive to her gay friend because I wasn't comfortable. I was straight up called homophobic. It didn't matter that straight people doing the same would have made me feel the same way, the fact that I wasn't okay with what was going on made me homophobic.

So yeah, if you are LGBT, more power to you, but if your life is all rainbows and glitter and fake lisps 24/7, don't be surprised when people are put off by you.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
03-17-2018, 06:37 AM
Even with evidence right in your face , people will still scoff or come up with their own reasons why the hard evidence is not true.

I'm talking about Chemtrails. Ever look up to the sky and see a jet foaming out a perfect white trail behind it, then look up at the same area 1 HOUR later and still see that same foam but spread out flatter in a cloud shape? Yeh. Nobody bothers to see these things, just chalk it up as normal and continue their day. It's not normal, people should be questioning this shit and demanding answers. What is being sprayed? Is it climate control? Is the government spraying a population control substance that gives people cancer? (Cancer rate in Canada is astronomical ) What the hell are they spraying?

Big Nick Dudley
03-17-2018, 06:53 AM
Women need to put the toilet seat up when they're done. Equal is equal.

Jack-Hammer
03-17-2018, 07:04 AM
I hate when someone tries to lecture me about patriotism. You hear a lot in right wing politics about how someone is "un-American" if they don't believe in this or if they don't support that. For instance, I respect the sacrifices that soldiers make, but I don't kiss their asses for anything and everything. I appreciate their service, but the fact that they served doesn't make them a better class of person than someone else and it really pisses me off when you have some right wing asshole, especially those who go on about how great the military is, how we should always respect it, etc. yet didn't volunteer to sign up themselves.

Patriotism is hell of a lot more than just standing up when the National Anthem is played, or saying the Pledge of Allegiance. To me, being a patriot means that you not only ask questions, you ask questions when it's not a convenient time. What's happening with the debate regarding gun laws is a great example of people who're tired of seeing this issue kicked down the road to die down until the next mass shooting happens and then we start the whole thing over again. They believe that there's something wrong with some of the laws in this country and that adjustments and outright changes need to be made. They're questioning the way the system is set up because there are too many ways in which they believe that the system has failed. Pointing that out doesn't make then un-American in the least in my eyes. Like every other country on Earth, the United States has a checkered past. Pretending that the United States is this land of milk and honey where there are no injustices, where every dream can come true and where opportunity is readily available to all isn't patriotism, it's propaganda.

For me, being another part of being a patriot means that you want to see the promise and potential that a society is founded on applied to and open to all who want to share in it regardless of skin color, religious beliefs, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. What we have too much of, in my opinion, are people who want to exclude other people based on some personal dislike they have towards any of those traits. Dislike it all you want, that's your right, but to deny someone else the same rights and privileges that you have because they're different? Now that's un-American.

Big Nick Dudley
03-17-2018, 07:08 AM
The patriotism thing irritates me to no end, especially from right-wingers in 2018. Donald Trump is the least patriotic President we have ever had.

BaconBits
03-17-2018, 07:18 AM
The overwhelming majority of online activists aren't actually activists. They're mostly whiny hypocrites who really need to spend more time outside.

Fallout
03-17-2018, 07:41 AM
The overwhelming majority of online activists aren't actually activists. They're mostly whiny hypocrites who really need to spend more time outside.

Wouldn't really say that's controversial/unpopular, that's just common knowledge.

Let's start with a take hotter than any of my political opinions: I hate the 1984 Ghostbusters.

There are some talented people in it (Dan Akyroyd, Ernie Hudson and Rick Moranis, the latter of which shares a birthday with me and my dad met with Dolph Lundgren of all people, both really nice guys), but for the most part, it's just unfunny, with most of its jokes relying on stereotypes which were already pretty old at the time (look at these geeks, hurrhurrhurr) and it can't seem to decide on what kind of humour it wants to be, so it comes out as being an uncluttered, unfocused mess. Bill Murray is the polar opposite of Vince Vaughn for me, in that I can buy him doing drama, but he really irritates me doing comedy (Lost In Translation was good though, though less emphasis was on the comedy), and Peter Venkman is just a detestable protagonist that isn't fun to watch, let alone follow. Egor and Ray mostly exist in that movie to shout exposition and play a stereotype, Winston doesn't even appear until 45 minutes in, and there's just something about Sigourney Weaver's performance that strikes me as dull; because I know she can be a damn fine actress. Rick Moranis is kind of fun, and Dan Akyroyd tries to give a good performance, but the script doesn't allow him to be that funny. I never found it that funny when I was a kid, and I find it even less funny now. It's a D movie wanting to be a B movie that gets treated as an A movie.

And Slimer makes Sheriff J.W Pepper from the first two Roger Moore Bond movies look like George fucking Carlin.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
03-17-2018, 08:19 AM
I never knew there was people in this world that hated Ghostbusters 1984. I didn't think it was possible.

BestSportsEntertainer
03-17-2018, 01:28 PM
The Seahawks were right to throw the ball from the one. Lynch would have gotten tackled for a loss of yards pretty easily.

Spidey
03-17-2018, 01:30 PM
I live in the Bible Belt of the United States. Everything said here is the popular opinion, minus Ghostbusters and patriotism of course.

Jack-Hammer
03-17-2018, 06:10 PM
I never knew there was people in this world that hated Ghostbusters 1984. I didn't think it was possible.

I don't hate it, but I do think it's overrated as hell. Bill Murray's the only one who makes the movie anything close to decent, yet he's still been in better movies where he's given much funnier performances in my opinion.

Undying
03-17-2018, 09:55 PM
I hate South Park. I cannot stand the show. When I was a kid it was always the cool thing to talk about the episode the night before and I even tried to get into it just from my friends always talking about it but I just couldnt. Iâ??ve seen plenty of episodes and never found it remotely funny. If you are into it thatâ??s cool itâ??s just not my cup of tea.

Jack-Hammer
03-18-2018, 01:32 PM
I don't know really how popular, unpopular or controversial this thought is among wrestling fans but I'm of the opinion that the G1 Climax is utterly pointless under its current format.

Since 2012, the winner of New Japan's biggest tourney of the year wins a briefcase containing the "Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Championship Challenge Rights Certificate." This means that the winner of the G1 will challenge for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship in the Tokyo Dome at Wrestle Kingdom in January. First and foremost, given that it isn't like WWE's MITB contract in which the winner can "cash in" at any time and at anyplace, the gimmick itself is redundant. It's just a guy carrying a briefcase for 3.5 months because the winner almost always challenged for the title anyway.

Secondly, the "certificate" aspect is irrelevant since the last ime the winner of the G1 successfully challenged for the title was back in 2010, which was Satoshi Kojima winning it for the 2nd time. Nobody has successfully "cashed in" the "certificate" since the gimmick was introduced to the tourney back in 2012.

Maybe I'm missing the point of the tournament? I mean, I'm willing to entertain that possibility because maybe I am missing something. If it's just to put on strong matches, you don't really need a tournament for that but, at the same time, I suppose that it can also serve as an easy storyline to write as it's something that'll keep all the participants occupied and have something for them to do.

A11
03-18-2018, 06:21 PM
Women who accuse athletes and celebrities of sexual assault and rape from a time before they were famous should not receive any compensation. Yes the athlete should go to jail or whatever but any compensation should be given to charity. Then we'll see how many people want to come forward

A11
03-18-2018, 07:18 PM
And programs and campaigns designed to end violence against women are a waste of space. I'm sure most men are aware that hitting their partner is not acceptable, but there are other social factors that contribute to them. Alcoholism, poverty, drug abuse, etc. are the diseases and domestic violence is the symptom

Khalifa
03-19-2018, 02:00 AM
Shit A11. Thatâ??s an interesting call. I remember reading a story about how a guy went to jail for rape for 18 years or something and he didnâ??t do it. At the end of his time it was found out he actually didnâ??t do it and received compensation for it. Was like 2 million or something. His ex-wife who divorced him 3 years into his 18 (or whatever number) year sentence then went to court to get compensation from the 2 million dollars. She claimed itâ??s the money he owes from the divorce if they wouldâ??ve split everything in half but couldnâ??t because he was in jail. So not only is she trying to get money from a guy who just spent 18+ years in prison for a crime he did not commit, but she is trying to get money he didnâ??t even have back then. I shouldnâ??t even be saying trying, she somehow fucking won. What a fucking whore. Going to jail for rape, not much worse things you could go to jail for. Spend 18 fucking years there and then lose like 3/4 of your money to tax and your white ex wife. How more fucked could life get.

A11
03-19-2018, 06:04 AM
Shit A11. That’s an interesting call. I remember reading a story about how a guy went to jail for rape for 18 years or something and he didn’t do it. At the end of his time it was found out he actually didn’t do it and received compensation for it. Was like 2 million or something. His ex-wife who divorced him 3 years into his 18 (or whatever number) year sentence then went to court to get compensation from the 2 million dollars. She claimed it’s the money he owes from the divorce if they would’ve split everything in half but couldn’t because he was in jail. So not only is she trying to get money from a guy who just spent 18+ years in prison for a crime he did not commit, but she is trying to get money he didn’t even have back then. I shouldn’t even be saying trying, she somehow fucking won. What a fucking whore. Going to jail for rape, not much worse things you could go to jail for. Spend 18 fucking years there and then lose like 3/4 of your money to tax and your white ex wife. How more fucked could life get.
That is absolute horseshit

Uncle Sam
03-19-2018, 12:40 PM
WOMEN ARE LYING WHORES AND IT SHOULD BE MADE HARDER FOR THEM TO REPORT AND ESCAPE ABUSE

Edit: Wait, how is my code not working? Guys, how did you get yours to work? Is it something to do with the new forums?

Fallout
03-19-2018, 12:42 PM
Wew, and I thought my Ghostbusters take was hot...

#AbsoluteUnit
03-19-2018, 12:49 PM
Chicago style pizza > New York style pizza. Just plain simple.

ABMorales787
03-19-2018, 02:56 PM
This is why we let judges handle this stuff and not normal people on the webs.

JGlass
03-19-2018, 06:22 PM
I don't like the way you think anymore. In fact now I think you're a fucking dumbass.

JGlass
03-19-2018, 08:42 PM
I don't like the way you think anymore. In fact now I think you're a fucking dumbass.

I'm kind of sorry I called you a fucking dumbass. I forget that you're 18 and you don't realize how horrible the world is yet.

Jesus Christ, when did I get this cynical?

Big Nick Dudley
03-20-2018, 12:00 PM
Embrace it.

A11
03-20-2018, 06:20 PM
WOMEN ARE LYING WHORES AND IT SHOULD BE MADE HARDER FOR THEM TO REPORT AND ESCAPE ABUSE

Edit: Wait, how is my code not working? Guys, how did you get yours to work? Is it something to do with the new forums?

Except I'm not making it harder for them? There are many cases over here in australia where it has happened. Bill Shorten, current leader of the labor party, was accused of rape only after he became the leader of the party. Majak Daw, sudanese AFL player, was accused of rape back when he was in high school (despite the clear facebook evidence that girl was bragging about it at school the next week). I'm still all for locking rapists up and throwing away the key but I just dont think people should be allowed to try and ruins someone life for their own gain. You take away financial incentive to accuse somebody of rape and then there is less motive for somebody to falsely accuse someone and then people would be more likely to side with the victim

A11
03-20-2018, 06:23 PM
This is why we let judges handle this stuff and not normal people on the webs.
Except we dont. Elected officials who vote on passing laws in parliament can be everyday, normal people on the internet who can have no idea about the issue. Judges are only there to interpret the law

The Bearded One
03-21-2018, 09:50 AM
Zaxby’s > Chick Fil A. And it’s not even a competition.

BestSportsEntertainer
03-26-2018, 12:50 PM
Zaxby’s > Chick Fil A. And it’s not even a competition.

Chick Fil A is the best restaurant.

Spidey
03-26-2018, 02:19 PM
You know, The Condemned wasn't that bad a movie. In fact when it comes to that grindhouse-esque exploitation type of flick, it really is worth seeing. It's been panned for being too much like Battle Royale, but besides a group of people having to kill each other on an island, there's really not much in the way for a comparison. Battle Royale was about youth-gone-wrong so the Japanese government stepped in with the BR Act and put a selected class in that elimination death match. The Condemned had Death Row inmates that were going to die anyways killing each other in the name of entertainment. Hell, Hunger Games was kids killing each other as a tribute to the lives lost in America's Second Civil War. There isn't much to really compare with the three yet you see people online do it all the time.

The plot is good and it's also one of those things that realistically could happen. Hunger Games and Battle Royale are futuristic but Condemned isn't. There's enough going on in Condemned that makes it stand by itself. Way more memorable/original than The Marine.

JGlass
03-26-2018, 02:36 PM
Chick Fil A is the best restaurant.

I think you need to try some new places bro

CyberPunk
03-26-2018, 03:24 PM
I believe that modern day feminism is the biggest propaganda ever. It has nothing to do with its dictionary definition and everything to do with power grabbing. It rarely ever helps women who need it and indulges in meaningless battles. It tries to paint women as fragile beings who couldn't take two steps by themselves before being offended by something or someone. It consolidates power for women who already are on top and try to antagonize anyone with even slightly differing opinions.

Spidey
03-26-2018, 04:08 PM
Hasty generalizations should be booted from discussion if said discussion is meant to be civil.

Fallout
03-26-2018, 04:43 PM
Bond opinions:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Live And Let Die are overrated.

Moonraker and A View To A Kill are overhated.

License To Kill and Tomorrow Never Dies are underrated.

Jack-Hammer
03-26-2018, 04:57 PM
I believe that modern day feminism is the biggest propaganda ever. It has nothing to do with its dictionary definition and everything to do with power grabbing. It rarely ever helps women who need it and indulges in meaningless battles. It tries to paint women as fragile beings who couldn't take two steps by themselves before being offended by something or someone. It consolidates power for women who already are on top and try to antagonize anyone with even slightly differing opinions.

Another problem, in my view, are the feminists who believe that they and they alone decide what feminism is. I'm going to use stripping or porn as examples. How often have you heard women denounce being a stripper or working in the porn industry as degrading to women? Ideally, no woman should "have" to work in those fields but wet hardly live in an ideal world. Those "feminists" often don't see, or don't want to see, the world for what it actually is. Not every woman is white, lives in the suburbs, has/had access to political, financial and/or academic resources and opportunities; they have to make do the best that they can and to get to a place where they want in life financially, sometimes, all they may have are their looks. Even now, as I type this, I feel a little uncomfortable defending them in any way because I've been conditioned by society that strippers or porn actresses are "sluts" or some lower class of women because of what they do.

Are there always alternatives to those professions? Sure. However, despite the right wing or politically correct propaganda we've all been sodomized by over the years, America isn't a land of equal opportunity where everyone can see their dreams come true through hard work. As I alluded to, not every woman is fortunate enough to have access to resources or really even the academic chops to become a doctor, lawyer or whatever. Hell, if you want to be honest, lawyers and doctors aren't exactly the noble breed they were once upon a time. Lawyers who twist the system, and manage to get judges to agree with their perspectives, are a major reason for so many flaws in our justice system and damn near half the doctors from my state are little more than drug dealers in white lab coats. That's not to say that there aren't viable alternatives but I think it's fair to say that most of those alternatives are generally minimum wage jobs where you live paycheck to paycheck. For some women, they'd rather give 5 minute lap dances for $25 a pop rather than flipping hamburgers for $7 an hour.

I've probably gotten off track and started rambling, but I guess my point is that I always thought a fundamental foundations of feminism was a woman having a choice and having the guts to try to press on, to make the best of their situation.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
03-26-2018, 05:46 PM
Bond opinions:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Live And Let Die are overrated.

Moonraker and A View To A Kill are overhated.

License To Kill and Tomorrow Never Dies are underrated.

I think people just have their own favorite actors who play Bond and will support their Bond with cult-like fever. I started out with Roger Moore and he will always be the true Bond to me, but the others are fine too. Moore's Bond films just happen to be really over the top cheesy, I wish the newer Bond films would just take a little bit of that fun into the newer films.

The Bearded One
03-26-2018, 06:20 PM
I think you need to try some new places bro

Like Zaxbyâ??s.

To stay on the chicken fingers theme, IHOPâ??s chicken tenders are among the best out there.

JGlass
03-26-2018, 08:32 PM

Another problem, in my view, are the feminists who believe that they and they alone decide what feminism is. I'm going to use stripping or porn as examples. How often have you heard women denounce being a stripper or working in the porn industry as degrading to women? Ideally, no woman should "have" to work in those fields but wet hardly live in an ideal world. Those "feminists" often don't see, or don't want to see, the world for what it actually is. Not every woman is white, lives in the suburbs, has/had access to political, financial and/or academic resources and opportunities; they have to make do the best that they can and to get to a place where they want in life financially, sometimes, all they may have are their looks. Even now, as I type this, I feel a little uncomfortable defending them in any way because I've been conditioned by society that strippers or porn actresses are "sluts" or some lower class of women because of what they do.

Are there always alternatives to those professions? Sure. However, despite the right wing or politically correct propaganda we've all been sodomized by over the years, America isn't a land of equal opportunity where everyone can see their dreams come true through hard work. As I alluded to, not every woman is fortunate enough to have access to resources or really even the academic chops to become a doctor, lawyer or whatever. Hell, if you want to be honest, lawyers and doctors aren't exactly the noble breed they were once upon a time. Lawyers who twist the system, and manage to get judges to agree with their perspectives, are a major reason for so many flaws in our justice system and damn near half the doctors from my state are little more than drug dealers in white lab coats. That's not to say that there aren't viable alternatives but I think it's fair to say that most of those alternatives are generally minimum wage jobs where you live paycheck to paycheck. For some women, they'd rather give 5 minute lap dances for $25 a pop rather than flipping hamburgers for $7 an hour.

I've probably gotten off track and started rambling, but I guess my point is that I always thought a fundamental foundations of feminism was a woman having a choice and having the guts to try to press on, to make the best of their situation.

It is abundantly clear that both of you have an incomplete, biased view of the modern feminist movement. You are no more qualified to give a nuanced opinion of it than a illiterate is able to give a nuanced opinion of War and Peace.

Because of that I'm going to refrain from insulting you and do my best to help enlighten you.

Modern feminism is far from one school of thought. While most feminist groups have the same larger goal (equality for women), they differ in their belief of how that can be achieved and what that looks like. Jack-Hammer's view of feminism being a blanket of sex-negative thought is laughable, and most feminists I know, and myself included, are sex-positive and don't think there's anything wrong with anyone expressing their sexuality however they choose to, so long as nobody is harmed by it. I'd even go so far as to say that I disagree with Jack-Hammer's opinion that there shouldn't be a sex industry in an "idea world." Sex is part of life just like anything else, why shouldn't there be an industry around it? There's an industry around food, sleep, health, what makes sex so special?

You are not wrong that there are women (and probably plenty of men too) that attempt to capitalize on that movement, and you're not wrong that there are toxic people within the feminism community, but that's true of literally every large group with an agenda. You can say the same thing about any government, any religion, any political organization, probably thousands of corporations, etc. But for some reason feminists are painted as hysterical women that want everybody to think the way they think and will make a racket until they get their way. Meanwhile the Catholic Church has been covering for pedophiles for at least a century, the government is using your money to keep Wall Street in business, and the Republican Party is letting the earth be destroyed for profit. But yeah, those cranky feminists sure are a burr in my boot!

You guys sound like you've had a few negative experiences with feminists. I'd recommend trying to engage with intelligent women that know what they're talking about and doing so with an open mind. I have a friend who would probably be MORE THAN HAPPY to have an intelligent discussion about the state feminism with you.

Yaz
03-26-2018, 08:57 PM
You know, The Condemned wasn't that bad a movie. In fact when it comes to that grindhouse-esque exploitation type of flick, it really is worth seeing. It's been panned for being too much like Battle Royale, but besides a group of people having to kill each other on an island, there's really not much in the way for a comparison. Battle Royale was about youth-gone-wrong so the Japanese government stepped in with the BR Act and put a selected class in that elimination death match. The Condemned had Death Row inmates that were going to die anyways killing each other in the name of entertainment. Hell, Hunger Games was kids killing each other as a tribute to the lives lost in America's Second Civil War. There isn't much to really compare with the three yet you see people online do it all the time.

The plot is good and it's also one of those things that realistically could happen. Hunger Games and Battle Royale are futuristic but Condemned isn't. There's enough going on in Condemned that makes it stand by itself. Way more memorable/original than The Marine.

I actually enjoy that film from the standpoint of a fairly mindless action flick where the plot doesn't matter. Austin is a solid enough actor in those types of films and Vinnie Jones is fine in the role of villain/henchman. It included enough in the way of action and violence while not being too over the top to make it enjoyable. Plus Austin threw that bomb into a helicopter and that was pretty badass.

ABMorales787
03-26-2018, 09:16 PM
You should probably not base your views on the subject off Facebook memes.

It's their choice to be strippers or porn stars. It's not degrading to chose to work for such fields. No one is forcing women to work the porn industry.

So they can't get a waitress job? Or a desk secretary job? Jesus Christ you make it seem like women can only choose from a high-end pay job or PornHub with absolutely no gray area. There's a ton of other jobs out there.

Yeah. And the choice to work in the porn industry has nothing to do with it.

Lee
03-27-2018, 04:58 AM
"no one is forcing women to work in the porn industry" absolutely not true. Exploitation is rampant in the porn industry. It's a very volatile subject. Some choose, some are forced. See: Prostitution too.

Jack-Hammer
03-27-2018, 06:29 AM
It's their choice to be strippers or porn stars. It's not degrading to chose to work for such fields. No one is forcing women to work the porn industry.

I never said it was. My point was that there are LOTS of people who view it as degrading. My point was that there are people who label themselves as being feminists who feel women working in these fields are only helping in keeping women down as they believe that their own view of feminism, and even their own opinions for that matter, to be superior to someone who may have a different perspective.

So they can't get a waitress job? Or a desk secretary job? Jesus Christ you make it seem like women can only choose from a high-end pay job or PornHub with absolutely no gray area. There's a ton of other jobs out there.

No, I'm not making it seem that way. That's your extremely narrow interpretation of what I said. As far as a waitress goes, there's nothing wrong with it at all. Part of the point I'm trying to make is that there are women who want to do porn, who want to strip, as a means to make money and that, in my opinion, it's wrong for feminists to look down on them for helping to keep women down. I know that you're not that dense and I'm sure you've heard others putting those women down because of their choice and/or maybe you've even done it yourself.

Yeah. And the choice to work in the porn industry has nothing to do with it.

If you think that women in porn and the feminist views held by many of women who work in porn has nothing to do with it, then you're being disingenuous or naïve.

JGlass
03-27-2018, 07:15 AM
I never said it was. My point was that there are LOTS of people who view it as degrading. My point was that there are people who label themselves as being feminists who feel women working in these fields are only helping in keeping women down as they believe that their own view of feminism, and even their own opinions for that matter, to be superior to someone who may have a different perspective.

Dude, that's literally every single school of thought. Why single out feminists?

Fallout
03-27-2018, 07:54 AM
I think people just have their own favorite actors who play Bond and will support their Bond with cult-like fever. I started out with Roger Moore and he will always be the true Bond to me, but the others are fine too. Moore's Bond films just happen to be really over the top cheesy, I wish the newer Bond films would just take a little bit of that fun into the newer films.

Brosnan is actually my favourite bond and that's not just to keep the memory of Coco alive, I think he's the complete package of suave, badass and likeable, I don't think any of the other actors quite get all three down in the same way he does. Moore is definitely the most likeable though, and my personal second favourite.

As for Moore's films, I accept the cheese so long as it's somewhat based in reality, which probably explains my general mixed feelings about Live And Let Die. I mean, magic literally exists in the James Bond universe. I can buy Moonraker because while it's basically science fiction, it's based in some form of reality and it's a really fun film. Magic is where I really draw the line (although you could make the argument Samedi is using smoke and mirrors, but even then, it's not presented very well in that case.)

Alex
03-27-2018, 07:57 AM
Edward Norton is the best movie version of Bruce Banner/Hulk.

He pretty much carried the first half of Incredible Hulk on his own and I just prefer his Hulk design to Mark Ruffalo's

Uncle Sam
03-27-2018, 08:22 AM
This is despicable. Unconscionable. I can't just stand by and let this lie:

Edward Norton is the best movie version of Bruce Banner/Hulk.

He pretty much carried the first half of Incredible Hulk on his own and I just prefer his Hulk design to Mark Ruffalo's

Alex
03-27-2018, 08:33 AM
This is despicable. Unconscionable. I can't just stand by and let this lie:

Until Mark Ruffalo is in a solo Hulk movie I stand by my opinion

Барбоса
03-27-2018, 08:36 AM
Brosnan is actually my favourite bond and that's not just to keep the memory of Coco alive, I think he's the complete package of suave, badass and likeable

James Bond really shouldn't be all that likeable - he is a cold-hearted killer, an investigative assassin rather than a spy. Connery and Craig pull that off well when that switch is flicked, but personally I thought that Dalton did that best. His rampage to avenge Stella and Felix in License to Kill is who Bond really is.

Brosnan shows strong glimpses of it too in Tomorrow Never Dies and The World Is Not Enough in his killing of Dr Kaufmann and Electra in cold blood respectively (dropping Trevelyan in Goldeneye may also count).

Барбоса
03-27-2018, 08:38 AM
Until Mark Ruffalo is in a solo Hulk movie I stand by my opinion

That is the absolute last thing they should do.

All Hulk movies have been various shades of bad.

Uncle Sam
03-27-2018, 09:42 AM
That is the absolute last thing they should do.

All Hulk movies have been various shades of bad.

The Captain Jack Sparrow effect: fun as a side character; unbearable as the lead.

Alex
03-27-2018, 09:56 AM
The Captain Jack Sparrow effect: fun as a side character; unbearable as the lead.

I will agree that Jack Sparrow works best as a side character (Curse Of The Black Pearl) and sucks as a main character

Another controversial opinion. Spider-Man 3 is decent

Fallout
03-27-2018, 11:25 AM
James Bond really shouldn't be all that likeable - he is a cold-hearted killer, an investigative assassin rather than a spy. Connery and Craig pull that off well when that switch is flicked, but personally I thought that Dalton did that best. His rampage to avenge Stella and Felix in License to Kill is who Bond really is.

Brosnan shows strong glimpses of it too in Tomorrow Never Dies and The World Is Not Enough in his killing of Dr Kaufmann and Electra in cold blood respectively (dropping Trevelyan in Goldeneye may also count).

Dalton was closest to Fleming's vision (and I like Dalton's portrayal, I like them all except Lazenby), but I can't really get behind that interpretation of Bond turning on the charm in the movies, it seems a little manufactured. What's more, I think writing a protagonist for a movie is different from writing a protagonist for a book, a lot of nuances can get lost in translation, which means some concepts get simplified. And the series, for all its pros, isn't known for having exceptionally complex characters, so some things have to be made more obvious (although the Moore era did take far too many liberties, just look at that jungle scene in Octopussy.)

Fallout
03-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Another controversial opinion. Spider-Man 3 is decent

I'd say it's overhated, but it is a complete mess with more than a few missed opportunities. The stuff with the Sandman is really good for what it's worth.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-27-2018, 12:47 PM
I've got a couple I've been thinking about lately...

- Michael Keaton > Christian Bale as the best Batman. Just my opinion..

- Rouge One was decent - at best. Wasn't the biggest fan at all when I first saw it. Then after seeing it a couple of times later, I thought it was better than my first time viewing it. But, it's still just okay to me.

- Michigan's '97 football team would've gotten destroyed by Nebraska's '97 team had they played.

- 2001 Miami (FL) football team was great, but I consider them to be the 2nd best college football team behind Nebraska's 1995 team.

(No, I'm not a Nebraska fan)

- The two COD Modern Warfare games are much better than the Black Ops series.

Alex
03-27-2018, 01:58 PM
I'd say it's overhated, but it is a complete mess with more than a few missed opportunities. The stuff with the Sandman is really good for what it's worth.

Oh yeah the Venom thing was a mess but I liked Sandman and the Harry Osbourne plots

I've got a couple I've been thinking about lately...

- Michael Keaton > Christian Bale as the best Batman. Just my opinion..

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Dark Knight trilogy suck as Batman movies. Great movies in their own right but suck as Batman movies.

Big Nick Dudley
03-27-2018, 04:46 PM
Certain dog breeds are dangerous and shouldn't be around children. Come on PETA nutjobs, let's have it....

'Ravishing' Ned Flanders
03-27-2018, 05:23 PM
Certain dog breeds are dangerous and shouldn't be around children. Come on PETA nutjobs, let's have it....
I'm not a Peta nutjob but I'll have a go.

What breeds and how are they inherently dangerous?

JGlass
03-27-2018, 06:04 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Dark Knight trilogy suck as Batman movies. Great movies in their own right but suck as Batman movies.

This is nonsense. They are movies that revolve around the story of Batman. They are good movies. Therefore they are good Batman movies.

Batman is the subject of a movie, not a genre.

Khalifa
03-27-2018, 06:15 PM
I will say if a Dog isn’t taught well or doesn’t have a good owner then some breeds maybe more likely to grow up vicious (only because those breeds are often mixed with the bad environment like the pitbull, you don’t see golden retrievers or poodles in the Hood) but id never say it’s a dog breed. I’ve had 4 Rotties and never have any of them attacked or even made someone worried that they would attack them. I know there are different breeds out they but usually Rotties get a bad name because of their strong jaw. I will say though if a Dog is played with, taken for a walk (socialised) and only scolded for stuff that it knows not to do, not just because it wasn’t sitting down straight away or whatever, then the dog will never be dangerous. That’s my experience with dogs.

I add to the thread though and say people are required to go to atleast a 2 hour show on how to treat your dog properly and you should also have a license to get a dog to prove you can be a responsible pet owner. Too many people are buying dogs and don’t treat them at all how they should be treated, or people will get them for a year and because they’re not doing what you want them to or you want to move towns and don’t take their dogs with them. I understand for some circumstances why people leave their pets but I would say over 50% of people have just gotten rid of their pets because they didn’t look 5 minutes into the future. If you’re thinking fuck that, I’m not taking a 2 hour class for a license, then you don’t really want a dog very bad do ya? It’s 2 hours of your life to help the rest of your life.

Storm Trooper
03-28-2018, 12:17 AM
Like Zaxby’s.

To stay on the chicken fingers theme, IHOP’s chicken tenders are among the best out there.

As someone who has never seen a Zaxby's before in his life, I cannot comment on how good they are. Are they a fast-food place like Chick-Fil-A (who has wonderful chicken sandwiches, the best biscuits in all of fast food, and terrible politics?) or more of a restaurant?

And in regards to the second half of your statement, there can be zero truth to that, as unless the IHOP chicken tenders are wrapped in pancakes they do not exist. The restaurant is called International House of Pancakes, not International House of Chicken Tenders.

Alex
03-28-2018, 05:24 AM
This is nonsense. They are movies that revolve around the story of Batman. They are good movies. Therefore they are good Batman movies.

Batman is the subject of a movie, not a genre.

Batman is inherently silly. The Dark Knight trilogy was basically James Bond/Jason Bourne movies with a guy in a tech suit fighting terrorists.

I'm not saying they're bad movies. They're great movies, but as Batman movies they're bad. It's akin to how Stanley Kubrick's The Shining is a great film but a poor adaptation of the source material.

BaconBits
03-28-2018, 06:29 AM
As someone who has never seen a Zaxby's before in his life, I cannot comment on how good they are. Are they a fast-food place like Chick-Fil-A (who has wonderful chicken sandwiches, the best biscuits in all of fast food, and terrible politics?) or more of a restaurant?

And in regards to the second half of your statement, there can be zero truth to that, as unless the IHOP chicken tenders are wrapped in pancakes they do not exist. The restaurant is called International House of Pancakes, not International House of Chicken Tenders.

IHOP chicken fingers absolutely do exist. They have a small sampling of food that desnt't have anything to do with pancakes.

Барбоса
03-28-2018, 06:41 AM
The Dark Knight trilogy was basically James Bond/Jason Bourne movies with a guy in a tech suit fighting terrorists.

That's... that's... that's who Batman is...

You can claim all the faux nuance you want but in the end Batman is a rich vigilante in a suit, who is largely useless at hiding, gets caught and beaten up frequently and uses his gadgets to escape and defeat the villain.

He is James Bond in a mask minus the killing.

JGlass
03-28-2018, 07:33 AM
Batman is inherently silly. The Dark Knight trilogy was basically James Bond/Jason Bourne movies with a guy in a tech suit fighting terrorists.

Ah yes, I remember having many a hearty chuckle as I thumbed through The Killing Joke.

I'm not saying they're bad movies. They're great movies, but as Batman movies they're bad. It's akin to how Stanley Kubrick's The Shining is a great film but a poor adaptation of the source material.

I couldn't disagree more. While Batman certainly has a history of escapades and capers, he also has a history of gripping, dramatic storylines. Just because Nolan was the first director to attempt to portray Batman on film in a more serious, dramatic way doesn't mean it's not a Batman movie.

Uncle Sam
03-28-2018, 08:03 AM
I'd personally like a return to campy Batman a la Batman: The Brave and the Bold, but I appreciate we're unlikely to get it any time soon, and I think if there's any one fictional character for whom you can say "This interpretation isn't valid," it's not someone who's had as many drastically different versions as Batman.

But The Dark Knight Rises is still utter shit.

Alex
03-28-2018, 08:18 AM
Ah yes, I remember having many a hearty chuckle as I thumbed through The Killing Joke.

Yes a clown shooting the police commissioner's daughter and then kidnapping him and taking him to a circus is something you read about all the time.

Something can be silly/strange and still be harrowing

I couldn't disagree more. While Batman certainly has a history of escapades and capers, he also has a history of gripping, dramatic storylines. Just because Nolan was the first director to attempt to portray Batman on film in a more serious, dramatic way doesn't mean it's not a Batman movie.

Tim Burton's take is still the best interpretation in my opinion. Has a serious tone while embracing the silliness of the concept

Alex
03-28-2018, 08:20 AM
That's... that's... that's who Batman is...

You can claim all the faux nuance you want but in the end Batman is a rich vigilante in a suit, who is largely useless at hiding, gets caught and beaten up frequently and uses his gadgets to escape and defeat the villain.

He is James Bond in a mask minus the killing.

Ok I'll say he's more old school movie Bond than Daniel Craig Bond

Барбоса
03-28-2018, 08:21 AM
But The Dark Knight Rises is still utter shit.

Indeed

Big Nick Dudley
03-28-2018, 09:48 AM
I'm not a Peta nutjob but I'll have a go.

What breeds and how are they inherently dangerous?

Mainly pitbulls/terriers of whatever sort. Generations of being guard/attack dogs. Germans can be risky, too.

I will say if a Dog isn’t taught well or doesn’t have a good owner then some breeds maybe more likely to grow up vicious (only because those breeds are often mixed with the bad environment like the pitbull, you don’t see golden retrievers or poodles in the Hood) but id never say it’s a dog breed. I’ve had 4 Rotties and never have any of them attacked or even made someone worried that they would attack them. I know there are different breeds out they but usually Rotties get a bad name because of their strong jaw. I will say though if a Dog is played with, taken for a walk (socialised) and only scolded for stuff that it knows not to do, not just because it wasn’t sitting down straight away or whatever, then the dog will never be dangerous. That’s my experience with dogs.

I add to the thread though and say people are required to go to atleast a 2 hour show on how to treat your dog properly and you should also have a license to get a dog to prove you can be a responsible pet owner. Too many people are buying dogs and don’t treat them at all how they should be treated, or people will get them for a year and because they’re not doing what you want them to or you want to move towns and don’t take their dogs with them. I understand for some circumstances why people leave their pets but I would say over 50% of people have just gotten rid of their pets because they didn’t look 5 minutes into the future. If you’re thinking fuck that, I’m not taking a 2 hour class for a license, then you don’t really want a dog very bad do ya? It’s 2 hours of your life to help the rest of your life.

Rottweilers, if I'm correct, are far less likely to attack their owner than a pitbull. I have been around plenty of Rots who are perfectly adjusted to new people. Are they more likely to snap than, say, a Golden
Retriever? Probably.

Point is - some breeds are much more likely to attack and not give up. Why even bother with a breed like that? Seems like taking a pointless chance when you can have a dog that isn't dangerous.

Fallout
03-28-2018, 10:26 AM
I cannot for the life of me understand why Counter Strike is still popular, and the fact that Global Offensive has such a large competitive scene still. Siege completely blows it out of the water in terms of dynamics, game layers, intricacy and skill required at the highest levels.

The Bearded One
03-28-2018, 12:17 PM

Zaxby's is also a fast food place, but it's more of a go in to eat than drive and eat, if that makes sense. The one positive Chick-Fil-A has over Zaxby's is its portability. It's a lot easier to eat Chick-Fil-A on the go. But the last few times I've been there, the chicken on the sandwich barely took up half the bun and seemed to be mostly breading. I have the same issue with their strips, too, as it seems like there is very little chicken to them. At Zaxby's, the strips are generally much larger and have a lot more chicken. The fries are also better, and Zax sauce is far superior to any other restaurant's sauce, save for maybe Red Robin's Campfire sauce.

I also feel like you get more food for your money at Zaxby's. At Chick-Fil-A this:

https://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/sMhdwnrxQd8NWPCxLKqG2A/o.jpg

costs about the same as this:

https://www.snapfinger.com/api/content/managedimage/Zaxbys/18401/zaxbys-bonelesswings_things-OH.png?maxWidth=385&maxHeight=385

does at Zaxby's, where you get three strips, about a half-dozen chicken wings, fries and toast.

And as for IHOP, I'm not a big fan of pancakes, so on the rare occasion I end up there I have to get other stuff. So I've discovered their surprisingly good chicken strips.

As far as breakfast restaurants go: Waffle House > IHOP > Cracker Barrel

BaconBits
03-28-2018, 01:06 PM
Zaxby's is also a fast food place, but it's more of a go in to eat than drive and eat, if that makes sense. The one positive Chick-Fil-A has over Zaxby's is its portability. It's a lot easier to eat Chick-Fil-A on the go. But the last few times I've been there, the chicken on the sandwich barely took up half the bun and seemed to be mostly breading. I have the same issue with their strips, too, as it seems like there is very little chicken to them. At Zaxby's, the strips are generally much larger and have a lot more chicken. The fries are also better, and Zax sauce is far superior to any other restaurant's sauce, save for maybe Red Robin's Campfire sauce.

I also feel like you get more food for your money at Zaxby's. At Chick-Fil-A this:

https://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/sMhdwnrxQd8NWPCxLKqG2A/o.jpg

costs about the same as this:

https://www.snapfinger.com/api/content/managedimage/Zaxbys/18401/zaxbys-bonelesswings_things-OH.png?maxWidth=385&maxHeight=385

does at Zaxby's, where you get three strips, about a half-dozen chicken wings, fries and toast.

And as for IHOP, I'm not a big fan of pancakes, so on the rare occasion I end up there I have to get other stuff. So I've discovered their surprisingly good chicken strips.

As far as breakfast restaurants go: Waffle House > IHOP > Cracker Barrel

Waffle house is raw, unadulterated shit.

JGlass
03-28-2018, 01:56 PM
Waffle House and Cracker Barrel are both garbage. IHOP is decent. One time I saw a mouse run across the floor of an IHOP and I still finished my pancakes. Also I took Uncle Sam to one after a night of drinking and thought it was hilarious how little damage he was able to inflict on his pancakes.

Sorry Sam.

The Bearded One
03-28-2018, 03:39 PM
Waffle house is raw, unadulterated shit.

I like their waffles and hasbrowns. And the burgers aren’t too bad either. Cracker Barrel gets dinged big time for not having waffles. Is Famous Amos a national chain? If so, it’s by far the worst.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
03-28-2018, 06:12 PM
*Puts on bullet proof vest*

I don't mind Nickleback, even though 90% of the world's population has a cult like hate for them.

klunderbunker
03-28-2018, 06:43 PM
*Puts on bullet proof vest*

I don't mind Nickleback, even though 90% of the world's population has a cult like hate for them.

I've been to a Nickelback concert.

Fallout
03-28-2018, 06:53 PM
I think hating on Nickelback has become kind of a meme. I think most people nowadays just pretend to hate them more than actually show contempt towards them. For what it's worth, I quite like them.

On a sidenote, I saw Shinedown, another band who did the opening theme to Raw, live, when they opened for Iron Maiden. They were pretty fucking awesome, and even sung the Raw theme as their finale.

Undying
03-28-2018, 07:17 PM
I suppose this relates to Nickelback as although they may not be as hated as them they are often brought up in the same discussions but my favorite band is 3 Doors Down.

Their album seventeen days was the first album I ever bought because of Behind Those Eyes which was one of the themes for Mania 21.

klunderbunker
03-28-2018, 08:55 PM
Waffle House and Cracker Barrel are both garbage. IHOP is decent. One time I saw a mouse run across the floor of an IHOP and I still finished my pancakes. Also I took Uncle Sam to one after a night of drinking and thought it was hilarious how little damage he was able to inflict on his pancakes.

Sorry Sam.

Put em up.

klunderbunker
03-28-2018, 08:56 PM
I suppose this relates to Nickelback as although they may not be as hated as them they are often brought up in the same discussions but my favorite band is 3 Doors Down.

Their album seventeen days was the first album I ever bought because of Behind Those Eyes which was one of the themes for Mania 21.

Same (well, at least until they played Trump's inauguration). They were my first concert and I've seen them....at least five times? Caught a drumstick at a concert once. The first show I was ever at live was in Cincinnati in the middle of a horrible heatwave. They did three songs and the power went out all over the city. A buddy of mine and I didn't leave for a bit and the singer and drummer came out with a very simple setup and played an hour plus of acoustic.

Uncle Sam
03-29-2018, 06:51 AM

But my tummy! :(

Spidey
03-29-2018, 08:52 AM
Yu-Gi-Oh is the worst card game I've ever played. You have to sit there and read every card on the table like they're mini Instruction Manuals. There is no underlying narrative, no flavor text to give you some idea on why these particular cards exist like MtG. In my experience the most socially awkward people are invested in it. The cartoon they're based on goes by rules the card game doesn't, and it's a continual bout of "This card negates that card negates that card negates...". How it has remained popular for about 15 years is truly dumbfounding. Even in Tournaments I'm told a lot of cards are banned, kinda defeating the purpose of playing. This may not be wholly unpopular or controversial among a bunch of wrestling fans, but go into any school cafeteria and you're bound to see twenty-somethings dueling. It's a massive waste of time and energy. And there's Math involved.

Undying
03-29-2018, 09:23 AM
Same (well, at least until they played Trump's inauguration). They were my first concert and I've seen them....at least five times? Caught a drumstick at a concert once. The first show I was ever at live was in Cincinnati in the middle of a horrible heatwave. They did three songs and the power went out all over the city. A buddy of mine and I didn't leave for a bit and the singer and drummer came out with a very simple setup and played an hour plus of acoustic.

Brad Arnold is great with those kinds of things, I've met the band with a VIP package and smoked a cigarette with him, one of the nicest people I've ever met. I've seen them three times with my favorite one being in Seattle where Staind and Red were the opening acts.

BestSportsEntertainer
04-02-2018, 01:29 AM
Few sports ones.

The Cavs are winning the East pretty easily this year.

Anthony Davis should be MVP over James Harden this year.

Aaron Rodgers is the best QB ever.

Eli Manning doesnâ??t deserve to get into the HOF.

The Vikings should have resigned Case Keenum.

The Browns shouldnâ??t draft a QB at 1 or 4.

Big Nick Dudley
04-02-2018, 07:22 AM
Few sports ones.

Anthony Davis is my MVP. This should not be an unpopular opinion.

#AbsoluteUnit
04-02-2018, 01:18 PM
I prefer WrestleMania to be held in March, rather than in April. I have no reason why either.

BestSportsEntertainer
04-02-2018, 04:46 PM
College football players should not be paid but should be allowed to profit off their image.

Self driving cars should be widespread as soon as possible.

People shouldnâ??t pay a lot of money for weddings or funerals.

As a conservative, I support gun control.

#AbsoluteUnit
04-02-2018, 05:20 PM
College football players should not be paid but should be allowed to profit off their image.

Self driving cars should be widespread as soon as possible.

People shouldn’t pay a lot of money for weddings or funerals.

As a conservative, I support gun control.

I agree with 2/4 opinions you have said. For the record, my agreements with you are the last two statements you made.

Spidey
04-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Is it controversial or unpopular for a conservative to support gun control?

BestSportsEntertainer
04-02-2018, 06:05 PM

Absolutely

Big Nick Dudley
04-03-2018, 09:10 AM

I feel this is the best way to "pay" college athletes. If the best players can get endorsements, they should be able to. They earn that. What about the players not getting those deals? That's just reality. Still getting a free education, rent, food, etc.

#AbsoluteUnit
04-04-2018, 03:11 PM
I don't like Asuka. Sorry not sorry.

Fire Marshall Bill
04-05-2018, 04:36 AM
Few sports ones.

How is the Cavs point anything but stating the blatantly obvious? The East hasnâ??t had more than one competitive team since 2010. Itâ??s the reason James has stayed there his entire career.

There was a chance this year, but injuries derailed Boston. Donâ??t even bother mentioning Toronto. Theyâ??re a shining example of the Eastern Conference for the last decade.

BaconBits
04-05-2018, 06:35 AM
I don't like Asuka. Sorry not sorry.

I'm with you. I don't see the appeal, like, at all.

Spidey
04-05-2018, 09:54 AM
All I ask is that you
1) Defend your position. Don't just say "I don't like black people because they look funny." Give an actual explanation as to why you feel the way you feel.

Currently in danger of being a forgotten rule, my dude.

To contribute, I absolutely hate that the most I know about a guy like Bobby Roode is that he likes part of his theme song. That's it. That's the flattest character in wrestling I have ever seen, and I'm afraid it's only going to get worse with NXT callups. Is Roode full of himself? Whimsical? The kind of guy that mouths the words to his favorite song when its played on the radio? Been a year and still I have no clue and that kinda sucks. No wonder he's stuck in a bland program for Wrestlemania.

Jack-Hammer
04-05-2018, 11:27 AM

Yeah, pretty much because we're very, very much in a time where it seems that damn near everybody expects everyone to be all one thing or all the other. If you're a conservative then, in the minds of most other conservatives and liberals for that matter, you're "supposed" to believe in and support all the same stuff other conservatives do and the same goes for liberals. Many people are so friggin' militant these days that any wiggle room, any sort of gray area or dissention from how they're "supposed" to be based on political affiliations.

Awesome_Miz
04-06-2018, 01:19 AM
I just don't see the appeal of Friends. I've tried seeing the 1st season and everything just felt flat for me. I still gave the second season a try since I know it's usually unfair to judge a show just by it's first season as the show is trying to find what works but the second season still didn't work for me. I'm sorry but Friends for me is just a bad show and not to my personal taste. And I've seen people compare it to How I Met Your Mother but I don't get that comparison as HIMYM is actually funny and original(except for the last episode which brought it way down).

The Bearded One
04-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Both Senses Fail and The Wonder Years’ new albums are massive disappointments. I feel like Senses Fail took a huge step backward both musically and lyrically on “If There is Light, It Will Find You.” I thought their two albums before this one were a nice progression beyond what they had done before and were two of their boat albums. But this one is just bad.

The Wonder Years came out with “Sister Cities” yesterday and I was really let down. It seems like the band found a formula for a song and repeated on nearly the entire album. I’m fine with them moving beyond purely pop-punk, and I loved “No Closer to Heaven.” But this new album blends together for the most part and I was predicting the next step of nearly every song on the second half of the album.

On a positive note, The Dangerous Summer’s return album is one of the best I’ve heard in a long time, and might be thei best work yet.

#AbsoluteUnit
04-07-2018, 01:08 PM
The Walking Dead no longer interests me. I think it's ran it's course.

Fallout
04-07-2018, 01:10 PM
The Walking Dead no longer interests me. I think it's ran it's course.

I've never been into it. It's just the same tired zombie formula that desperately needed to be mixed up, which is why I appreciate games like Left 4 Dead for mixing up the formula so much.

Jack-Hammer
04-07-2018, 03:05 PM
I've never been into the Walking Dead, nor have I ever really seen what the appeal is.

Also, I have to say, I think Bugs Bunny was hot whenever he dressed in drag in the old cartoons. Just givin' him his props, that's all.

#AbsoluteUnit
04-07-2018, 09:47 PM
I do not care for/about New Japan. I also believe Kenny Omega and Okada are the most overrated guys in professional wrestling. Didn't Omega have a match with some under aged young lady????? LOL, WORKRATE though!!!!!!!!!!!

Fallout
04-07-2018, 10:17 PM
For the longest time, I would have agreed with you, but I've given New Japan a fair shake, and I've been extremely impressed with what I've seen so far. The problem is not so much with the performers (except the Young Bucks because fuck the Young Bucks), but with the audience's aristocratic pretensions that they are above the average wrestling fan, that they are more culturally enriched than those who solely watch WWE. People like Meltzer (not his fault for the record) are revered as god-like figures with a better eye for wrestling than someone like KB, solely because of his credentials in the business, and if you don't like puro, then you are somehow objectively dumb to them. It's a symptom of the internet basically.

As far as Omega and Okada go, it does get annoying when they play up to the smark audience, but it's a case of doing what they have to do to get the most profit for the product. It's the same reason why you had Cena doing those cringe-worthy comedy segments in the PG era, because WWE ultimately thought that that was where the money was.

Jack-Hammer
04-16-2018, 01:41 PM
John Wayne was a vastly overrated hack who, for the most part, played almost the exact same sort of character in almost every western he was in. That's not to say he didn't have some good performances now and again but most of his movies featured him as this fairly one dimensional alpha male who spent half the picture spouting right wing propaganda about what a man should or shouldn't be. The guy was also something of a closet white supremacist so I suppose that's tarnished my opinion of him as well.

SSJPhenom
04-19-2018, 02:53 PM
The Star Wars prequels were very good. As a matter of fact, they're better than the original trilogy. They're better made, better shot, better acted, and just all around better. I don't understand the hate for them.

I think college sports players should be compensated in some way. Everyone else is getting rich off of them. Why can't they? Especially if they're going to be forced to play college ball to enter the pros. Either let them enter straight out of high school or pay them for college. No, giving them a scholarship is not paying them. Most of them don't even want to go, they're forced to go.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
04-19-2018, 04:12 PM
The Star Wars prequels were very good. As a matter of fact, they're better than the original trilogy.

I didn't hate the prequels, but Ep1. And Ep 2 have some sewage in it that really dim the rewatchability and charm that the originals had.

Spidey
04-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Opinions can indeed be wrong.

BestSportsEntertainer
04-24-2018, 02:01 AM
Russell Westbrook is the most overrated player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant was right to leave Oklahoma City.

SSJPhenom
04-24-2018, 03:40 AM
Russell Westbrook is the most overrated player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant was right to leave Oklahoma City.

I don't think this qualifies as controversial. A lot of people tend to agree with your opinion. I do think that if he'd stop padding his stats and played more within the flow of the game that they'd win a lot more. The Thunder should've been a lot better this season then they were.

JGlass
04-24-2018, 02:06 PM
I don't think Russell is lacking in skill, I think his problem is that he's a bad teammate. He's a ball hog, a chucker, a bad off-ball player, a hothead, and a glory seeker. If he doesn't learn to put his team above his own stats, he'll never win a ring.

jmt225
04-26-2018, 07:19 AM
I don't see how anyone could call Russell Westbrook overrated after last night's performance.

That guy is a once in a lifetime athlete. What he's done these past couple of years is nothing short of remarkable.

JGlass
04-26-2018, 10:39 AM
I don't see how anyone could call Russell Westbrook overrated after last night's performance.

That guy is a once in a lifetime athlete. What he's done these past couple of years is nothing short of remarkable.

In the hypothetical, "You're a GM, pick any one guy in the league to build your team around," Westbrook doesn't even crack my top 10. LeBron, Harden, Steph, Durant, Kawhi, Kyrie, Ben Simmons, Lillard, AD, and of course Giannis are all above him for me. No doubt Westbrook is capable of playing some phenomenal basketball, but he's maybe the most selfish player in the NBA. In the playoffs his shooting splits are 39/35/88. Killing on the free throw line sure, but your superstar can't be putting up shit numbers like that, he's barely doing better than JR Smith. And the Thunder certainly have the talent for a legitimate playoff run, but the Jazz look poised to take the next one and wrap things up.

SSJPhenom
04-26-2018, 11:13 AM
If someone told me that Russell Westbrook was a clone of 50% Iverson and 50% Kobe I'd believe it. He's just as selfish, but he's also just as talented. For him to be successful a team similar to Iverson's 2001 team needs to be constructed around him. Mainly defensive players, some 3 pt shooters, and let Westbrook handle the scoring load and shoot as much as he likes.

It got Iverson to the finals. Might get Westbrook a championship.

Big Nick Dudley
04-26-2018, 12:02 PM
If someone told me that Russell Westbrook was a clone of 50% Iverson and 50% Kobe I'd believe it. He's just as selfish, but he's also just as talented. For him to be successful a team similar to Iverson's 2001 team needs to be constructed around him. Mainly defensive players, some 3 pt shooters, and let Westbrook handle the scoring load and shoot as much as he likes.

It got Iverson to the finals. Might get Westbrook a championship.

Except Westbrook plays in the West and Iverson was in a terrible 2001 Eastern conference. I think Westbrook is already a better player than Iverson, but he needs to adjust to the talent around him. Win or pile up stats? Depends on what really matters to him.

Oh, and get rid of Carmelo.

SSJPhenom
04-26-2018, 12:46 PM
Here's an unpopular opinion. 76ers are conning everybody.

They were 25-25 as recently as February. Then they go 26-6 to finish out the season. Impressive right? Well they were facing teams like the Nets, Hawks, Nuggets, Knicks, Pistons, and all the other fodder in the league during that stretch. It made them seem very good. Which they are, but I don't think they're as good as they're recent collection of wins suggests they are.

BestSportsEntertainer
04-27-2018, 12:30 AM

What about the first four games in the series?

One decent game doesnâ??t make up for four that ranged from below average to just plain awful.

Khalifa
04-27-2018, 04:56 AM
Everyone makes great points on Westbrook. The one thing I love about him and think he is in a whole other league compared to everyone else is how hard he plays. Obviously everyone gives 100% but with as much speed and power Westbrook gives every effort, I don’t think anyone can measure up. Stat padder, not the greatest team mate but an all time talent.

If we are on the overrated subject let’s throw Curry out there. Dude is the best shooter ever, but I think being on the team with the arguably second greatest shooter ever and having constant all stars around him (David Lee, Iggy, Green, Durant) as well as having one of the better benches every season in the NBA takes away every flaw Curry potentially has. How would he fair on the Grizzlies, Raptors (if you replaced him with Lowry), Charlotte, Heat etc. Teams that don’t have a ridiculous 3 point shooting team like Rockets, Nets, Wizards etc. He would probably still put up 25 but his hectic shots, the ones where he dribbles around for years and then does a step back doubled team 3 pointer would be criticised more. Only ever unanimous MVP just leaves a huge sour taste in my mouth.

Alex
04-27-2018, 07:04 AM
I didn't hate the prequels, but Ep1. And Ep 2 have some sewage in it that really dim the rewatchability and charm that the originals had.

Ep 1 is mostly boring until it gets to Darth Maul. Ep 2 is pretty cringey when the love scenes turn up (I hate sand) but a decent amount of it is alright. Ep 3 sits firmly in my top 3 Star Wars movies

jmt225
04-27-2018, 10:07 PM
In the hypothetical, "You're a GM, pick any one guy in the league to build your team around," Westbrook doesn't even crack my top 10. LeBron, Harden, Steph, Durant, Kawhi, Kyrie, Ben Simmons, Lillard, AD, and of course Giannis are all above him for me. No doubt Westbrook is capable of playing some phenomenal basketball, but he's maybe the most selfish player in the NBA. In the playoffs his shooting splits are 39/35/88. Killing on the free throw line sure, but your superstar can't be putting up shit numbers like that, he's barely doing better than JR Smith. And the Thunder certainly have the talent for a legitimate playoff run, but the Jazz look poised to take the next one and wrap things up.

I see your perspective.

And while I understand the argument that what Westbrook has done isn't the key to having a championship franchise, it's still something no one in the history of the NBA has been able to do, and it's a blast to watch him play.

I think Westbrook is incredibly valuable to the league and fans of the sport will only start to truly appreciate him after he's gone.

JGlass
04-28-2018, 05:54 AM
I see your perspective.

And while I understand the argument that what Westbrook has done isn't the key to having a championship franchise, it's still something no one in the history of the NBA has been able to do, and it's a blast to watch him play.

I think Westbrook is incredibly valuable to the league and fans of the sport will only start to truly appreciate him after he's gone.

No doubt, he is an exciting player that, when hot, is as good as anyone else in the league.

Last night he took 43 of the Thunder's 93 FGAs though, with a barely respectable 42/37/50 clip. That's not the type of player I want leading my team in a do or die first round playoff game.

#AbsoluteUnit
04-29-2018, 02:07 PM
Bryce Harper will never be as successful as Mike Trout.

Anonymous Mozzarella
05-07-2018, 11:45 AM
I wholeheartedly believe life begins at conception. I'm still pro-choice.

EnviousDominous
05-09-2018, 01:02 PM
The Divine Comedy was horrible.

I hate reading. If I'm going to sit and read through an entire book, I usually need a prior interest in its content and the first few pages have to interest me greatly. I've read plenty of great literature, and I've read some garbage.

Friends and family of mine would tell me that I have to read The Divine Comedy, specifically the Inferno portion, as though it was written just for me. I was told that they knew without a shadow of a doubt that I would love it and want to read it again.

The Divine Comedy is a story written by Italian poet Dante Alighieri in the 1300s, and Dante himself is the main character (not really though, I'll explain).

Dante is a whimpering little moron who wanders around outside hoping that he'll just run into salvation. Now, I get that this story is heavy in symbolism, but the allegory of "the true path to enlightment comes with great hardships" didn't come through as strongly as "Dante is a pussy, so God did everything".

Dante runs into three beasts, each one representing a part of his psyche that kept him from recognizing God's salvation. Dante didn't conquer these beasts, he instead decided to go into a cave so he could feel safe from them. You don't hear about these beasts for the rest of the story, so I guess hiding from your negative compulsions was the message.

Dante meets Virgil, and a bromance like no other ensues. Virgil is all "come this way", and Dante is all "Oh, I'm coming".

Dante leads us through the 10 layers of Hell, and Virgil explains what's happening in each layer. Now, one argument I make, in regard to popular opinion stating that Dante is the main character, is that Hell itself is the main character. Hell is the only part of the story with any depth, or tangible character. Dante is a pathetic flake, Virgil is a mindless drone, Satan can't do anything, and God is only referenced. Hell on the other hand is constantly being regarded in interesting ways.

One thing that really pisses me off about this story is that Dante doesn't do ANYTHING except walk in a straight line and whine. He comes upon a gate (can't remember to which circle of Hell it led to), and it's locked. Demons are on the gate heckling Dante, so Dante just sits and spins. An Angel comes down from Heaven and opens the gate. A fucking Angel solves that dilemma for basically no reason.

Satan (literally) is the final layer of Hell, and he can't do anything. He's trapped in ice, which is a fun idea for a painting or something like that. For a story where the build to meeting Satan was the main reason I kept reading, that's bullshit. Dante and Virgil recognize that in Hell down is up, so they climb into the ice that holds Satan and after descending past his feet they escaped Hell. So...... umm, the fun little idea of down being up was how a sniveling little shit like Dante conquered eternal damnation.

BaconBits
05-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Actual news has been replaced with poorly written hyperbole, and it’s been that way for a good twenty or so years.

Fallout
05-09-2018, 07:16 PM
Actual news has been replaced with poorly written hyperbole, and it’s been that way for a good twenty or so years.

The press has thought of themselves as untouchable since Watergate I feel.

BaconBits
05-09-2018, 08:19 PM
The press has thought of themselves as untouchable since Watergate I feel.

I can agree with that. It’s just in the last 20 years or so it’s really gone off the rails. Even when good stuff happens all they want to talk about is how terrible it is. And I’m not singling out any agenda or anything, they all do it, from every angle.

Fallout
05-09-2018, 09:36 PM
I can agree with that. It’s just in the last 20 years or so it’s really gone off the rails. Even when good stuff happens all they want to talk about is how terrible it is. And I’m not singling out any agenda or anything, they all do it, from every angle.

Misery sells. It's probably why the internet is so popular nowadays, people can find out about stuff even quicker if they're on social media, or browsing forums, and nobody cares enough to report on good stuff. It seems society is trapped in this rut that they need to continue hearing negativity in order to make themselves feel less negative. Sometimes, it can be vicarious ("Imagine if I was on that plane that crashed."), or it can be a hitpiece attacking someone they don't like, or even a celebrity dying. Society is predicated on negativity, especially nowadays, and I think it correlates with the absolute explosion in depression and other developed mental conditions, it's almost like a drug.

I just try and make sure I keep myself and the people close to me happy. I'd like to help everyone, but some people don't want to be helped, and that's not my responsibility really.

Alex
05-11-2018, 05:45 AM
Robert Rodriguez is a better and more varied director than Quentin Tarantino

Undying
05-11-2018, 10:06 PM
I didnt like spider man homecoming at all. I felt it went completely against everything about the character. Everything special about him was given to him by Stark. Tom Holland has the Parker/Spiderman hybrid down, but Spidey is his own entity. Made his own suit without any of that high tech bullshit. Only thing that was good was Michael Keaton as Vulture.

Big Nick Dudley
05-12-2018, 09:36 AM
I didnt like spider man homecoming at all. I felt it went completely against everything about the character. Everything special about him was given to him by Stark. Tom Holland has the Parker/Spiderman hybrid down, but Spidey is his own entity. Made his own suit without any of that high tech bullshit. Only thing that was good was Michael Keaton as Vulture.

That really shouldn't ruin the whole movie for you. It was definitely a high quality popcorn flick.

SSJPhenom
05-12-2018, 01:50 PM
It showed him making his own webbing and such.

'Ravishing' Ned Flanders
05-13-2018, 09:29 AM
It showed him making his own webbing and such.
And?

Jack-Hammer
05-13-2018, 12:23 PM
Prior to the 2002 Spider-Man film, in which his body produced his own webbing and he had little spinneret like organs on each wrist, he'd always made his own artificial webbing and his web shooters. For a while, the comics went the route of having him producing his own webbing and having the spinnerets in his wrists but, if I'm not mistaken, that's no longer the case. What bothered me in the MCU is that Tony Stark has given so much help to Spider-Man, including, if I'm not mistaken, creating for him a pair of web shooters. In the comics, Spider-Man has never really been a protégé of Tony Stark; that's not to say he doesn't admire him, like him, work with him, etc. but Spider-Man has pretty much always been someone that's stood on his own two feet with his own resources and I wish that was the route they went in the MCU.

#AbsoluteUnit
05-13-2018, 01:22 PM
DC > Marvel.

Sorry not sorry.

But Marvel's been kicking DC's ass at the Box Office, so points for them.

'Ravishing' Ned Flanders
05-13-2018, 08:17 PM
People in general are fucking disgusting & horrible

'Ravishing' Ned Flanders
05-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Prior to the 2002 Spider-Man film, in which his body produced his own webbing and he had little spinneret like organs on each wrist, he'd always made his own artificial webbing and his web shooters. For a while, the comics went the route of having him producing his own webbing and having the spinnerets in his wrists but, if I'm not mistaken, that's no longer the case. What bothered me in the MCU is that Tony Stark has given so much help to Spider-Man, including, if I'm not mistaken, creating for him a pair of web shooters. In the comics, Spider-Man has never really been a protégé of Tony Stark; that's not to say he doesn't admire him, like him, work with him, etc. but Spider-Man has pretty much always been someone that's stood on his own two feet with his own resources and I wish that was the route they went in the MCU.
Actually in Civil War: The Amazing Spider-Man it happened put pretty much exactly like it did in homecoming down to the hightech suit givento him by Stark & being his protegé. Only difference was his age.

Big Nick Dudley
05-14-2018, 09:46 AM
People who want comic book films to be loyal to the source material confuse the shit out of me. Why would you want to watch a film where you already know the result? Makes zero sense to me.

Clearly I'm not a comic book guy.

SSJPhenom
05-14-2018, 01:40 PM
Milenko already said what I was going to say about the whole Stark/Spider-Man relationship. There is precedence for it in the Civil War comic storyline. Not saying that the MCU is following that storyline, but it has happened before in the comics. I like the route that the MCU has gone with Spidey. IMO, he's far and away the best cinematic Spidey we've ever had.

Also, what I meant by my comment about him making his own webbing was that he wasn't a complete imbecile. Clearly, in the MCU, he's still the smart and creative Peter Parker that he's always been in the comics. I actually like how they explained that Stark has been helping him out. Makes more sense then a teenager coming up with and creating all this complex tech out of nowhere with little to no resources.

Fallout
05-15-2018, 05:37 AM
We focus far too much on later 19th century/early 20th century political philosophers nowadays. The works of Aristotle, Plato, Chanakya, Machiavelli, Hobbes, Aquinas, Stuart Mill, Aurelius, just to name a few, are being exchanged for the radicalism of post-modernism, anarchism, communism and fascism, which has led to an indirect societal focus on the material and what you don't have as opposed to what you do, which has lead to the suffering of billions over the last century and even during this one. People are becoming ideologues instead of functional individuals, martyrs and marionettes to the cause instead of responsive and responsible people.

JGlass
05-15-2018, 06:32 AM
We focus far too much on later 19th century/early 20th century political philosophers nowadays. The works of Aristotle, Plato, Chanakya, Machiavelli, Hobbes, Aquinas, Stuart Mill, Aurelius, just to name a few, are being exchanged for the radicalism of post-modernism, anarchism, communism and fascism, which has led to an indirect societal focus on the material and what you don't have as opposed to what you do, which has lead to the suffering of billions over the last century and even during this one. People are becoming ideologues instead of functional individuals, martyrs and marionettes to the cause instead of responsive and responsible people.

You are a walking r/iamverysmart submission.

Fallout
05-15-2018, 07:34 AM
You are a walking r/iamverysmart submission.

You're right, I need to talk to you like a child.

JGlass
05-15-2018, 08:00 AM

I understood what you're saying. In fact, I think I understand what you're saying better than you do, "Hey internet, please validate my intellect!"

Spidey
05-15-2018, 10:40 AM
Postmodernism isn't an early 20th century concept.

Fallout
05-15-2018, 11:08 AM
I understood what you're saying. In fact, I think I understand what you're saying better than you do, "Hey internet, please validate my intellect!"

Gutter ball, it's closer to "Here's my unpopular opinion, if you want to talk about it like an adult, I'm around."

Spidey has the right idea (and yes, I should have been more specific with my language, and singled out a specific branch of political nihilism rather than postmodernism as a general concept.)

Fallout
05-17-2018, 08:37 AM
Double-post, but fuck it.

The Sega CD was awesome and probably the second-best thing Sega made, besides the Megadrive/Genesis of course.

#AbsoluteUnit
05-17-2018, 10:54 PM
I prefer this site over WZ.

BaconBits
05-18-2018, 12:00 PM
I prefer this site over WZ.

That’s hardly unpopular.

#AbsoluteUnit
05-18-2018, 12:35 PM
That’s hardly unpopular.

True. I just felt a need to say it though.

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
05-26-2018, 01:50 PM

I like that you responded to his comment with this as if it were counter to what he said

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
05-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Oh, and it the spirit of the thread...

Statistics rarely support the shit in society that people cry about. People don't take the time to study these statistics, then frantically scream about their issue of choice, which, while having merit, gets totally undermined by their stunning lack of credibility and grasp of the subject.

BestSportsEntertainer
05-26-2018, 08:37 PM
In sports, there's nothing with following individual players rather than teams.

Fallout
05-27-2018, 06:47 AM
I like that you responded to his comment with this as if it were counter to what he said

I do find he needs to be talked to like a child though.

A11
05-27-2018, 06:08 PM
In sports, there's nothing with following individual players rather than teams.

Yes there fucking is

BestSportsEntertainer
05-31-2018, 11:07 PM
The NBA is rigged for the Warriors

Big Nick Dudley
06-01-2018, 06:58 AM
People complain too much about officiating in sports.

BestSportsEntertainer
06-01-2018, 09:40 AM
People complain too much about officiating in sports.

How could you say that after the last two Warriors games?

Big Nick Dudley
06-01-2018, 05:43 PM
How could you say that after the last two Warriors games?

Because it's nuts. The NBA and ESPN have set up Lebron as the ultimate underdog. They would love nothing more than for CLE to win this series... and then James sign with the Lakers. They're certainly not "helping" GS.

BestSportsEntertainer
06-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Because it's nuts. The NBA and ESPN have set up Lebron as the ultimate underdog. They would love nothing more than for CLE to win this series... and then James sign with the Lakers. They're certainly not "helping" GS.

Maybe not intentionally, but almost every call has went in the Warriors favor.

#AbsoluteUnit
06-03-2018, 03:06 PM
Selena Gomez > Ariana Grande

Tupac > Biggie

Joe Montana > Tom Brady

Don't @ me......please.

BestSportsEntertainer
06-03-2018, 07:40 PM
DeShaun Watson will be a Top 5 QB next season

The Seahawks miss the playoffs again

The Rams win the next Super Bowl

The Patriots should have traded Brady instead of Garoppolo, and the 49ers wonâ??t regret his contract

Steve Kerr is not a good coach

Alexa Bliss is the best female wrestler in WWE

JGlass
06-03-2018, 07:42 PM
DeShaun Watson will be a Top 5 QB next season

The Seahawks miss the playoffs again

The Rams win the next Super Bowl

The Patriots should have traded Brady instead of Garoppolo, and the 49ers won’t regret his contract

Steve Kerr is not a good coach

Alexa Bliss is the best female wrestler in WWE

Easy bro, save some controversial opinions for the rest of us.

jmt225
06-03-2018, 09:13 PM
WCW Randy Savage was better than WWF Randy Savage.

BaconBits
06-04-2018, 07:49 AM
WCW Randy Savage was better than WWF Randy Savage.

I can agree with that. His character tended to be a little more interesting in WCW.

BestSportsEntertainer
06-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Easy bro, save some controversial opinions for the rest of us.

I think the majority of people would disagree with all of them.

JGlass
06-06-2018, 08:32 AM
I think the majority of people would disagree with all of them.

Woosh

BestSportsEntertainer
06-15-2018, 04:37 AM
I'm not in favor of the CFB playoffs expanding and have no problem with neutral site games

Video game companies should remake games much more often than they do now

BaconBits
06-16-2018, 07:06 AM
EA feeding into the hulabaloo over Battlefield by saying â??There were tons of women who fought and died in WW2â? (which isnâ??t true) instead of just saying â??Itâ??s just a game, retardsâ? is the cringiest shit Iâ??ve ever seen a video game company do.

Slyfox696
06-16-2018, 07:10 AM
EA feeding into the hulabaloo over Battlefield by saying “There were tons of women who fought and died in WW2” (which isn’t true) instead of just saying “It’s just a game, retards” is the cringiest shit I’ve ever seen a video game company do.Is it even the worst thing EA has done in the last year? Surely the Battlefront disaster was worse.

“The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.” -EA, in response to overwhelming criticism about unlocking heroes.

Actually, on second thought...what exactly is the hubbub about Battlefield?

Fallout
06-16-2018, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't call the Battlefront disaster cringey as much as it was completely antagonistic towards the consumer.

The Battlefield 5 hubbub is basically that they featured a woman with high-tech cyberpunk prosthetics (that don't even really exist in our current day and age) highly throughout the trailer...when the game is set during WW2 and is otherwise highly realistic.

I personally don't care all that much. It's stupid that they're trying so hard to appeal to the progressive activists without actually putting any effort into it outside of slapping women into a scenario they didn't partake in, much less with those kinds of prosthetics (it reminds me of that phase in media where they would make a character gay for no reason other than to try and increase marketability prospects), but when it comes down to it, it really doesn't matter. I won't buy the game, but to be honest, I wouldn't have bought the game anyway, and a whole host of people are over-reacting.

BaconBits
06-16-2018, 07:15 PM
Is it even the worst thing EA has done in the last year? Surely the Battlefront disaster was worse.

“The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.” -EA, in response to overwhelming criticism about unlocking heroes.

Actually, on second thought...what exactly is the hubbub about Battlefield?

Fallout basically summed it up. There’s lots of criticism over the whole woman thing, and EA keeps insisting that the reason women are featured so promonently is that women were a huge part of combat in WW2, which isn’t anywhere near true.

Maybe they figure that’ll shut down the criticism. If they think that, they’re extraordinarily stupid.

nightmare
06-26-2018, 12:04 AM
Women were a huge part during the war. Just not in the traditional sense or how EA would like to remember history.

Now on topic, Strong Style is this decades ECW. 90% of it is shit and Okada sucks. 37 lazy clotheslines shouldnt mean you had a good match.

Fallout
06-26-2018, 04:43 AM
I understand the appeal of strong style, but it kneecaps the finesse and beauty that wrestling is capable of capturing.

Jack-Hammer
06-26-2018, 05:06 AM
I don't think it'd bother me if someone assassinated Donald Trump. Just to be clear, I don't want it to happen, I hope it doesn't happen and I would never encourage anyone to do it. I know that it's also a terrible thing to say when you get down tot he nuts of it but it's just the way I feel. Donald Trump is a deplorable human being who cares nothing for the troubles and issues of other human beings unless those troubles or issues are somehow about him or impact him in some ways. The way he coldly and calculatingly says or does things without a care as to how it affects so many makes him, in my opinion, completely unsuited for his position.

This whole thing with separating kids from their families who cross the border and to listen to racist pieces of shit like Jeff Sessions actually try using biblical scripture to justify doing it makes me sick. I do agree that we need immigration laws and that there are ways that enforce those laws that don't lower our standing in the world. Don't get me wrong, I know that the United States isn't this paragon of virtue where injustice can find no root and equal opportunity is available to everyone, but all something like this does is reinforce, strengthen and, in some cases, create resentment towards us as a nation and a people. It's not as though we don't deserve some resentment considering how many of us Americans, usually very conservative politically, walk around proclaiming to the rest of the world that we're basically the only thing that matters, that our ways are the only real ways and that the rest of the world should be grateful for the scraps we let it have. People like Trump only make it worse and yeah, I can honestly say I don't thin I'd feel the least bit bad if the guy up and croaked.

BaconBits
06-26-2018, 07:05 AM
I don't think it'd bother me if someone assassinated Donald Trump. Just to be clear, I don't want it to happen, I hope it doesn't happen and I would never encourage anyone to do it. I know that it's also a terrible thing to say when you get down tot he nuts of it but it's just the way I feel. Donald Trump is a deplorable human being who cares nothing for the troubles and issues of other human beings unless those troubles or issues are somehow about him or impact him in some ways. The way he coldly and calculatingly says or does things without a care as to how it affects so many makes him, in my opinion, completely unsuited for his position.

This whole thing with separating kids from their families who cross the border and to listen to racist pieces of shit like Jeff Sessions actually try using biblical scripture to justify doing it makes me sick. I do agree that we need immigration laws and that there are ways that enforce those laws that don't lower our standing in the world. Don't get me wrong, I know that the United States isn't this paragon of virtue where injustice can find no root and equal opportunity is available to everyone, but all something like this does is reinforce, strengthen and, in some cases, create resentment towards us as a nation and a people. It's not as though we don't deserve some resentment considering how many of us Americans, usually very conservative politically, walk around proclaiming to the rest of the world that we're basically the only thing that matters, that our ways are the only real ways and that the rest of the world should be grateful for the scraps we let it have. People like Trump only make it worse and yeah, I can honestly say I don't thin I'd feel the least bit bad if the guy up and croaked.

Two things:

Trump didn't start the child separation stuff. It's been going on since the late 90's. Perhaps you remember Elian Gonzales?

The US immigration laws are the most lax in the Americas. It's really hard to move to most countries. It's relatively easy to move to the US. '

Fallout
06-26-2018, 07:12 AM

I don't think Trump is any more or less deplorable than most people in politics at the moment when you judge him overall.

I can respect that he wants to try and reestablish America as a self-reliant nation that doesn't have to rely on imports, for the benefit of the workers and to not be reliant on the growing power that is China, and I think the UK could definitely learn from that. And I think he serves as an interesting case study of how corrupt our crony current establishment is given the sheer amount of hyperbole he has to deal with from the media.

With that said, the guy plays the idiot. He's not an idiot, but he plays one for the sake of populism, which I simply abhor. Politics needs actual standards and pragmatism more than ever given our current climate, and tweeting about how random celebrities are mean to you only makes the situation even worse. It just makes the retards on the left and the right scream louder at each other, and creates more conflict. The only people that benefit from that are the very worst that capitalism has to offer.

I honestly think most of the people on the left deserve Trump for how simply appalling they've been towards anyone who disagrees with them, even moderate leftists and centrists who disagree with them, but that doesn't mean he's in any way a good president. He's essentially a punishment that the left needs to learn from, and as a liberal myself, we need to actually learn from this and understand WHY he came to power. Instead of being judgemental fucks like SJW's who thinks that anyone who voted Trump was stupid, we should actually propose something prospective going forward. Bernie Sanders was on the right track, and while he's probably too old to run again, I think Elizabeth Warren would be a good choice for the Democrats to run against Trump. She'd be FAR better than Hillary, that's for sure.

BestSportsEntertainer
06-27-2018, 10:18 PM
Shrek 4 is a really good movie

Fallout
06-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Shrek 4 is a really good movie

It's far better than the failed abortion that is 3. I don't think I laughed once whilst watching 3.

Spidey
06-28-2018, 10:43 AM
Sex scenes are a poor attempt to keep viewers interested in a show. It most often does nothing to further the plot. At its worst, it undermines a series and leaves a terrible lasting impression. Example, and another unpopulor opinion, is that Sense8 beat viewers to death with it. I challenged myself to binge it and yeah, the premise was compelling but completely overshadowed by tits and ass equality. When a show hammers the subtext over and over there is a turning point where it becomes parody. We get it, everybody screws. Not really a spoiler as it has nothing to do with the big picture, but when your final shot of a series is the camera lingering on a strap-on dildo with cum on it, whatever subtext about love you have going goes out the window. I watched high class porn, and now instead of looking back at what the show was trying to say about identity, I'm going to think "this show had a lot of orgies in it."

BestSportsEntertainer
06-28-2018, 01:04 PM
It's far better than the failed abortion that is 3. I don't think I laughed once whilst watching 3.

Shrek 3 is easily the most disappointing movie I've ever seen. Just awful all around.

A11
06-29-2018, 07:09 AM
If you want to know how artificial intelligence is playing an important role in healthcare (http://www.cogitotech.com/blog/how-ai-in-healthcare-is-going-to-play-a-key-role-for-medical-imaging/) sector for medical imaging, then read this blog by Cogito Tech that explains how AI is playing a key role in healthcare sector for medical imaging. You will find here how image annotation is done with AI-based applications to make medical treatment process easier and faster.

Cogito explains how this technology is used in Medical image annotation (http://www.cogitotech.com/services/healthcare-training-data/) and hoe doctors using medical imaging to take the quick decisions and provide better medical treatments and care to patients. Cogito is providing medical imaging and image annotation service for healthcare sector backed with high-quality training data and image recognition service at affordable cost.

Fuck me mate, thats way too controversial. How do you sleep at night? Look yourself in the mirror?
You disgust me

#AbsoluteUnit
06-29-2018, 03:11 PM
Out of all the CSI shows, CSI: NY was the best one.

Alex
07-01-2018, 09:00 AM
I hate when people try to rewrite history in regards to media. E.g. old Tom an Jerry cartoons, Airplane and recently Guns N Roses with the rerelease of Appetite Fr Destruction and omitting the song One In A Million.

I get that these things are considered taboo now (racist caricatures in Tom and Jerry, sexism in Airplane and racist and homophobic language in regards to GnR) But it was a product of its time and we should learn from them instead of pretending these things didn't happen.

Put a disclaimer in regards to it and explain the details but don't erase it

Smally
07-01-2018, 04:00 PM
I hate when people try to rewrite history in regards to media. E.g. old Tom an Jerry cartoons, Airplane and recently Guns N Roses with the rerelease of Appetite Fr Destruction and omitting the song One In A Million.

I get that these things are considered taboo now (racist caricatures in Tom and Jerry, sexism in Airplane and racist and homophobic language in regards to GnR) But it was a product of its time and we should learn from them instead of pretending these things didn't happen.

I agree with this. Disney will probably never release Songs of The South due to racist connotations and as someone who wants to collect all the animated Disney films, and that I donâ??t ever remember seeing this film, i find it annoying

Fallout
07-03-2018, 08:54 AM
If anything, Dumbo is far more racist than Song Of The South. Uncle Remus is an awesome character, played by an awesome actor.

Spidey
07-03-2018, 01:50 PM
There is the whole downplaying what the black people are doing at the plantation that might come across as worse than crows not seeing an elephant fly.

Fallout
07-03-2018, 03:28 PM
There is the whole downplaying what the black people are doing at the plantation that might come across as worse than crows not seeing an elephant fly.

I don't think the point of the movie is to get caught up on that. Adults watching the film probably know what was going on, but to me, SOTS is a movie that's actually against racism, given how they portray the Remus character. Dumbo had the crows in plain sight, and it wasn't for any kind of commentary, like Fritz The Cat, it was just...really stereotypical crows.

Spidey
07-03-2018, 03:59 PM
I don't think the point of the movie is to get caught up on that. Adults watching the film probably know what was going on, but to me, SOTS is a movie that's actually against racism, given how they portray the Remus character. Dumbo had the crows in plain sight, and it wasn't for any kind of commentary, like Fritz The Cat, it was just...really stereotypical crows.

There are more black characters than Remus, but I get your point. I'm not wholly against Song coming out of the vault. Same reason why I'm not against seeing The Birth of a Nation. It's historically important to know these films and I'm against censorship. They're a study of the times. But I will definitely disagree that children won't pick up on what is -and most definitely isn't- being depicted in the movie, especially if the children grew up on what slavery was which every black kid in America certainly has. And there is a difference in stereotypes and racism for sure. The birds are a shit portrayal of black men speaking jive no doubt, but they're not in a position that is better or worse than the other characters in Dumbo. They're just there cracking jokes. It's obvious that the white characters in Song are in a position of power, and the black people are off working someplace vague enough for us to draw our own conclusions.

Jim Crow vs. Uncle Remus is an interesting character discussion though.

Fallout
07-03-2018, 04:16 PM
I don't think the movie is saying that white people being in power is a good thing though. On the contrary, the story is about a boy breaking barriers and the conclusion reflects that. It's quite similar to The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas to me in that it's a movie about criticising prejudice, and they both have a similar story, although obviously TBITSP has a much darker ending and is intended for an adult audience. I guess I'll say it's weird for it to be made by Disney (their first live-action movie IIRC?) for kids, but I don't attribute malice to it.

And it kind of did break down barriers in a way. James Baskett was the first African-American to win an Oscar.

Alex
07-05-2018, 02:56 AM
I remember as a kid I used to think Mammy Two Shoes (the black lady in Tom ad Jerry) was the owner of the house ad Tom's owner as well. The blackface gags in Tom ad Jerry I just assumed were smoke from explosions that caused them and nothing else.

I didn't find out the racial connotations until I was older and my dad mentioned it. Same with the stuff from Dumbo.

Maybe I was just naive but as a kid I never saw these things, but it is important that people learn about the history of this stuff.

Jack-Hammer
07-05-2018, 08:18 AM

Ideally, I think that's what should be done but then you also have some people who try to complicate things more than they already are, or even need to be. Especially among African Americans, you've got such differing opinions on the subject. Some thing it's okay for close friends, of any color, to use the N word amongst themselves, some feel it's only for black people, some feel it shouldn't be said by anyone. As far as racial, sexist or homophobic content in films or TV, you still have similar opinions. Some want it erased because they feel to keep it in place somehow equals endorsing it, some feel that some examples are okay and some aren't, some want it all gone, some want none of it gone and nobody's ultimately happy until they get their way. Whomever gets their way is happy while everyone else will drone on with one lecture after the other about how their perspective is the only way to go.

Revisionist history in Hollywood is nothing new and has been going on forever, almost from the very beginning of cinema as a business. A great example is D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation in 1915 that portrayed the KKK as a heroic group protecting the morals of Christianity and the purity of white womanhood from blacks, who were depicted as these slobbering savages looking to rape white women., it, along with Gone with the Wind, painted pictures of the old south that weren't remotely accurate. As far as Gone with the Wind goes, the book and film glamorizes the old Antebellum South in a way that just wasn't remotely true. The men weren't all these dashing, gallant, noble beings who try to behave as though they're knights in King Arthur's court, the women weren't these dainty, fragile little flowers who couldn't see straight without a man showing them how or that they were these spoiled brats, but the worst was the portrayal of blacks in the film and in the book as content in their way of life; it kept the image of the "dumb, happy darkie" as something that millions of people believed was true for generations because GWTW was so insanely popular.

With the way the world is connected these days, the actual history of things can be discovered because nothing's ever truly gone. It does get annoying when you have people try to revise history to suit their own designs but, truth is, I'm sort of at a point now where I don't really care all that much right now. I'm just worn down over the constant fighting and often making federal cases out of damn near nothing.

BestSportsEntertainer
07-07-2018, 02:16 PM
I want Enzo back in WWE.

Spidey
07-07-2018, 03:00 PM
Are we ready to accept that sticking women in movie roles that originally belonged to men was a bad idea?

It's practically become a new form of exploitation. These films aren't as good, and they likely never will be.

Speaking of tropes that need to die, there is nothing new to tell with "the gay best friend". It's not progressive. It's lazy writing. For the last five years this character has been one of two things - the bro that is coming out of the closet or the comic relief that needs some dick. For me the biggest insult is Riverdale's Kevin, which sucks because for teenie soaps that are The CW Riverdale is a good fucking show. End this already.

Inclusion for progression's sake is worse than no diversity at all.

BaconBits
07-08-2018, 09:17 AM
I want Enzo back in WWE.

Hell, bring back Enzo and Cass as a tag team. They'd be more over than any other team on Raw, and more over than any on Smackdown other than a reunified Team Hell No, which will likely be pretty short lived.

Alex
07-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Are we ready to accept that sticking women in movie roles that originally belonged to men was a bad idea?

It's practically become a new form of exploitation. These films aren't as good, and they likely never will be.

Speaking of tropes that need to die, there is nothing new to tell with "the gay best friend". It's not progressive. It's lazy writing. For the last five years this character has been one of two things - the bro that is coming out of the closet or the comic relief that needs some dick. For me the biggest insult is Riverdale's Kevin, which sucks because for teenie soaps that are The CW Riverdale is a good fucking show. End this already.

Inclusion for progression's sake is worse than no diversity at all.

I find it funny that people are complaining about Scarlett Johansson playing a trans gangster. They're saying a trans actor should be playing the part.

1) How many trans actors are there out there
2) Regardless of how many there are and their suitability for the role, none of them have the mainstream appeal of Scarlett Johansson
3) The movie probably wouldn't have gotten made without Johansson's involvement.
4) If you're so annoyed about it make your own movie about it. Just don't expect the same sort of budget.

Reading the story I was actually interested in the movie. I know it wouldn't have grabbed me as much as it did if it was someone with less name value

Hollywood only cares about marketability. Heck that's why they're doing this movie. If people are so wound up about it go do your own movies and if they're good and get exposure Hollywood will come knocking. Bruce Lee wasn't getting any roles in America, he went to Hong Kong and became their biggest action star, Hollywood came knocking. Spike Lee, Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez and countless other Directors/Actors did their own thing and Hollywood came calling. Heck Ryan Coogler and Michael B. Jordan were just doing their own thing and Coogler just directed Black Panther and Michael B. Jordan is looking to be one of the biggest stars going forward.

To quote Ari Gold 'Hilary Swank has a vagina and she won an Oscar pretending she has a dick. That's what actors do, they pretend'.

BestSportsEntertainer
07-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Jeans are the most comfortable thing you can sleep in

Uncle Sam
07-12-2018, 02:54 AM
Do you not get sweaty legs?

Fallout
07-12-2018, 05:29 AM
I wear jeans or chinos if I want to look presentable, but christ, give me tracksuit bottoms if I want to be comfortable.

Spidey
07-12-2018, 08:15 AM
If you don't mind the belt loops and rivets, yeah sure the comfiest.

Lee
07-12-2018, 06:24 PM
Jeans are the worst, I have one pair of them and they're only good in that you don't need to clean them too often.

#AbsoluteUnit
07-12-2018, 07:19 PM
Khaki's are were it's at.

Fizzy
07-12-2018, 09:33 PM
I don't like The Office.

BaconBits
07-14-2018, 08:07 AM
I don’t mind wearing jeans, but sleeping in them? Nah.

Alex
07-14-2018, 08:42 AM
I don't like The Office.

I've never watched The Office

klunderbunker
07-14-2018, 11:17 AM
I watched about fifteen minutes of the first episode. I didn't finish it.

Spidey
07-14-2018, 12:12 PM
UK or US? One is far superior than the other.

BestSportsEntertainer
07-14-2018, 03:49 PM
Championships are meaningless when comparing individual players

A11
07-15-2018, 06:49 AM
Championships are meaningless when comparing individual players

Woah super controversial opinion here.

Also the explaining/justifying your opinion that was starting to get ignored on page 10 is now completely gone

BestSportsEntertainer
07-15-2018, 11:26 AM
Woah super controversial opinion here.

Also the explaining/justifying your opinion that was starting to get ignored on page 10 is now completely gone

What's the number one reason the majority of NBA fans say Michael Jordan is the GOAT?

Also what are you talking about?

A11
07-15-2018, 09:38 PM
What's the number one reason the majority of NBA fans say Michael Jordan is the GOAT? That doesnt make it controversial or unpopular, alot of people say what you said. On top of that people consider jordan over lebron because he went 6 from 6 (different then just championships and didnt move to create super teams (thats not me saying jordan didnt have super teams). The lebron/jordan debate is a lot deeper than just rings. Otherwise Bill Russell would be in front of both of them

Also what are you talking about?
The original rules that were stated in the opening post, what else would I be talking about?

All I ask is that you
2) Post something that is actually unpopular or controversial. Example, a lot of the more prominent posters here and back in Safe Space are pretty liberal, so saying that America needs gun control isn't exactly unpopular here.
3) Don't be hateful. If you want to argue that white people should be allowed to say nigger, then by all means go for it. That is an opinion that fits and isn't inherently hateful toward anyone. Just make sure to steer clear of making it hateful. Also, don't argue in defense of rape or sexual assault or pedophilia. It is one thing to make an argument saying certain crimes are worse than others, but don't be a fucking incel or Phenom.
4) Be civil. I know this topic is likely to cause many rustled jimmies and give ample opportunity for people to use snowflake, but that isn't my purpose. I genuinely want to see discussion and see why certain people feel the way they feel about things. It is hard to call yourself open minded if you never allow your mind to open and hear other views. It is completely okay to disagree with people, but be civil about it.
Your opinion about rings pretty much violates the first two rules of the thread

And on page 10.
Currently in danger of being a forgotten rule, my dude.

Jack-Hammer
07-28-2018, 06:38 PM
Don't know how controversial this is, but I hate the Godfather movies, especially the first one so I'm gonna stick mostly with the first one for the sake of my point.

I have no idea why so many people from critics to everyday people to hip hop artists spray their shorts in declaring the thing's greatness. I mean, if someone's into it, then more power to 'em but some Godfather fans can be worse than evangelical Christians defending the validity of the Bible when it comes to their defense of the movie as some will react as though you just dripped trou and flashed their grandmother. To me, the Godfather is a pointlessly drawn out movie with uninteresting and, most importantly, unappealing characters; there are few movies I can recall in which I found myself thinking that every character should be sleeping "with the fishes" as there are no real redeeming qualities in any of them. They're all either racist, murdering scumbags or their wives are all fully aware of who they are and what they do, yet they're perfectly content with it. I'm serious, for me, there's not one remotely likeable character in the whole damn movie. I'd have thought that there would be characters in the film that, while murderers and crooks, there'd be varying degrees of evil and that someone would come off looking "good" in comparison but no...no not really.

If someone else has already dropped a deuce all over the Godfather, sorry for being a copycat.

Fallout
07-28-2018, 08:51 PM
Don't know how controversial this is, but I hate the Godfather movies, especially the first one so I'm gonna stick mostly with the first one for the sake of my point.

I have no idea why so many people from critics to everyday people to hip hop artists spray their shorts in declaring the thing's greatness. I mean, if someone's into it, then more power to 'em but some Godfather fans can be worse than evangelical Christians defending the validity of the Bible when it comes to their defense of the movie as some will react as though you just dripped trou and flashed their grandmother. To me, the Godfather is a pointlessly drawn out movie with uninteresting and, most importantly, unappealing characters; there are few movies I can recall in which I found myself thinking that every character should be sleeping "with the fishes" as there are no real redeeming qualities in any of them. They're all either racist, murdering scumbags or their wives are all fully aware of who they are and what they do, yet they're perfectly content with it. I'm serious, for me, there's not one remotely likeable character in the whole damn movie. I'd have thought that there would be characters in the film that, while murderers and crooks, there'd be varying degrees of evil and that someone would come off looking "good" in comparison but no...no not really.

If someone else has already dropped a deuce all over the Godfather, sorry for being a copycat.

The Godfather is a coming-of-age story with a strong basis in reality. This is why the movie hits such a chord with so many people.

Major spoiler for those of you who haven't seen the film, so I'm going to keep it in spoiler tags, but this is, in my opinion, the most powerful moment in cinema.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rbfuw0UN2A

This works because it's so real. There's no bullshit, it's a real, tragic situation juxtaposed with the innocence of a child thinking he's just playing along with him and a lot of people can relate to playing with their grand-parents when they're younger like this, being chased around in a playful way.

It's not supposed to be a movie like Star Wars with heroes and villains. It's supposed to represent the ugliness of the realities of life. Michael is the focus of the movies, who is coming of age in the first movie, making him fully realise the hardships and evil in the mob world and how he needs to embrace it to succeed.

I don't think you're entering the movie with the right mindset, it's more akin to something like Macbeth in that you're not supposed to really like the characters as much as observe them and the themes around them.

Spidey
07-31-2018, 12:55 PM
We have become too attached to hyperbolic language in modern times. Even if I agree with the person making the point, nothing turns me off more than seeing said point presented in a spectacularly bad way. If you believe something sucks, tell us why it sucks. Don't fill a paragraph with coarse idioms and silly nonsensical comparisons. Seems like a frequent occurrence lately, whether from headlines telling me how "Subject X is killing/destroying/etc Subject Y", or even in this thread about The Godfather, it hurts discussion more than it helps.

Jack-Hammer
07-31-2018, 04:03 PM
The Godfather is a coming-of-age story with a strong basis in reality. This is why the movie hits such a chord with so many people.

Major spoiler for those of you who haven't seen the film, so I'm going to keep it in spoiler tags, but this is, in my opinion, the most powerful moment in cinema.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rbfuw0UN2A

This works because it's so real. There's no bullshit, it's a real, tragic situation juxtaposed with the innocence of a child thinking he's just playing along with him and a lot of people can relate to playing with their grand-parents when they're younger like this, being chased around in a playful way.

It's not supposed to be a movie like Star Wars with heroes and villains. It's supposed to represent the ugliness of the realities of life. Michael is the focus of the movies, who is coming of age in the first movie, making him fully realise the hardships and evil in the mob world and how he needs to embrace it to succeed.

I don't think you're entering the movie with the right mindset, it's more akin to something like Macbeth in that you're not supposed to really like the characters as much as observe them and the themes around them.

Yeah, I've heard all that before and I don't buy it. I know it's a coming of age story and all that, I just think it's cowflop. Ultimately what I see about Michael Corleone is someone who gets sucked into the mob life, albeit reluctantly, but he does allow it to happen and finds that he gets off on the power. I get the realities of it, which only reinforces my own opinion that every character in the movie is some sort of scumbag with few redeeming qualities.

BestSportsEntertainer
07-31-2018, 06:03 PM
Pokemon X and Y are better than Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.

X and Y certainly aren't perfect. There's not many new Pokemon, and a lot of them have bad designs. The games are also a little too easy, and the experience share (although you can turn it off) just about breaks the games. However I've always enjoyed them and have found the games to have the most replay value. They bring back a lot of my favorite older Pokemon, such as Salamence, Krookodile, and the Kanto starters. The story is great, and Lysandre is one of the best villains in the whole series. There's also basically no level grinding, even with the exp share turned off.

My biggest problem with Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum is that the games are SO slow. Everything feels like it's in slow motion, and it really harms the overall enjoyment. There's still great games, as every game from Gens 1-6 are, but they're probably my least favorite.

#AbsoluteUnit
08-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Doritos cool ranch > Doritos Nacho Cheese.

BaconBits
08-01-2018, 11:18 AM
Doritos cool ranch > Doritos Nacho Cheese.

Spicy Nacho Cheese > Cool Ranch and regular Nacho Cheese

#AbsoluteUnit
08-01-2018, 12:22 PM
I hate it when someone quotes me.

BestSportsEntertainer
08-01-2018, 04:04 PM
People should never get offended by a joke of any kind. No matter the topic or how offensive or dark it might be

Why? Because it's just a joke. People don't mean any harm by them, and they're just trying to get a few laughs.

Fallout
08-01-2018, 04:12 PM
I hate it when someone quotes me.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/032/489/387.gif

#AbsoluteUnit
08-01-2018, 04:30 PM
^ cool.

Al Michaels > Bob Costas.

Spidey
08-01-2018, 05:16 PM
hot takes > what the OP asked for

BestSportsEntertainer
08-03-2018, 01:33 AM
Sarah Jeong is racist and should have never been hired by the New York Times.

She has tweeted things such as:

#cancelwhitepeople

White men are bull****

Oh man. Itâ??s sick how much joy I get from being cruel to old white men

Dumb*** f***ing white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire hydrants

Honestly how do you defend this? She should be fired immediately.

Hate should never be tolerated, no matter who it comes from.

Yaz
08-03-2018, 01:58 AM
I'm tired of reading stories about how fucking emojis are going to be more inclusive. Like, I'm a cis straight white male in America, I'm practically impossible to exclude and discriminate against, but Apple acting like they are changing the world by making the sports emojis both male and female, or having ginger haired emojis is bullshit. Inclusion is important, but if you need an emoji to validate yourself, you have bigger issues.

Fallout
08-03-2018, 09:38 AM

#cancelwhitepeople

White men are bull****

Oh man. Itâ??s sick how much joy I get from being cruel to old white men

Dumb*** f***ing white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire hydrants

I kind of have to disagree on principle on this one. I abhor the double standards that the contemporary left are employing right now, but I am consistent enough in my beliefs to believe that no-one should be fired for the skeletons in their closet. If they're still a problem, they'll come out on display soon enough.

BaconBits
08-03-2018, 08:27 PM
I kind of have to disagree on principle on this one. I abhor the double standards that the contemporary left are employing right now, but I am consistent enough in my beliefs to believe that no-one should be fired for the skeletons in their closet. If they're still a problem, they'll come out on display soon enough.

Well, NYT put out a statement that more or less said she isnâ??t going anywhere. Well have to see if she does that stupid shit again, but I doubt it.

Itâ??s bullshit like this that makes people distrust the media.

BaconBits
08-03-2018, 08:30 PM
I'm tired of reading stories about how fucking emojis are going to be more inclusive. Like, I'm a cis straight white male in America, I'm practically impossible to exclude and discriminate against, but Apple acting like they are changing the world by making the sports emojis both male and female, or having ginger haired emojis is bullshit. Inclusion is important, but if you need an emoji to validate yourself, you have bigger issues.

Itâ??s the same with the ever expanding LGBTABCDEFEGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ tag. They keep adding letters to reduce people to a letter in an acronym. Itâ??s really disrespectful.

Jack-Hammer
08-03-2018, 08:32 PM

#cancelwhitepeople

White men are bull****

Oh man. It’s sick how much joy I get from being cruel to old white men

Had it been a white person posting such things about Asians, African Americans or whomever, you can bet that the entire civil rights alphabet would be up the New York Times' ass almost immediately, but as long as it's whites getting bashed then it seems to be okay. I wouldn't be surprised that if someone did make a stink about it, you'd have someone say something along the lines of "well what about all the centuries of white oppression?" as if that makes it okay. Either racism is okay or it's not, enough of this double standard bullshit.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
08-03-2018, 09:46 PM
It’s the same with the ever expanding LGBTABCDEFEGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ tag. They keep adding letters to reduce people to a letter in an acronym. It’s really disrespectful.

LGBTQQIP2SAA is an actual one, absolutely ridiculous.

Yaz
08-03-2018, 10:34 PM
It’s the same with the ever expanding LGBTABCDEFEGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ tag. They keep adding letters to reduce people to a letter in an acronym. It’s really disrespectful.

It doesn't help that every few weeks some kid on Tumblr has to come up with a new sexuality to make sure they are the most unique. I really do feel close minded and somewhat bigoted at times, but I truly don't understand the need for all the different labels. Like I get LGBT, and I get that some people are asexual, but is it really necessary to go deeper than that?

Skairipa
08-03-2018, 11:04 PM
I don't get why people have a fascination with digging through a famous person's entire twitter account to find tweets from 6-8 years ago where they said things they shouldn't have said. These things wouldn't even come to light if certain people had a life.

Spidey
08-03-2018, 11:42 PM
Or...stop sharing defamatory shit with the world? Seems this has become a forgotten talent, especially when said persons are in a position of power. Just stop telling everyone how much of a dipshit you are. Cuts down the problem a lot.

People are going to get nosey when it comes to celebrities. That's natural and why TMZ stays in business. Fault lies in the person sharing, not the person that can finds it so readily available.

Fallout
08-04-2018, 12:10 AM
Or...stop sharing defamatory shit with the world? Seems this has become a forgotten talent, especially when said persons are in a position of power. Just stop telling everyone how much of a dipshit you are. Cuts down the problem a lot.

People are going to get nosey when it comes to celebrities. That's natural and why TMZ stays in business. Fault lies in the person sharing, not the person that can finds it so readily available.

This logic is used to defend things such as doxing by the way.

Skairipa
08-04-2018, 12:21 AM

Oh I fully agree they shouldn't have said these things in the first place, I don't think anybody will argue that they should have. But it doesn't change the fact that it's ridiculous people feel the need to dig through their twitter feed, likely through hundreds if not thousands of tweets, just hoping to find comments that will ruin their character. Everybody says stupid shit when they're young, it's just a matter of some make the mistake of posting it online and getting famous.

Spidey
08-04-2018, 12:37 AM
This logic is used to defend things such as doxing by the way.

If you have an askewed sense of what doxing is, I guess so.

BestSportsEntertainer
08-04-2018, 01:44 AM
Oh I fully agree they shouldn't have said these things in the first place, I don't think anybody will argue that they should have. But it doesn't change the fact that it's ridiculous people feel the need to dig through their twitter feed, likely through hundreds if not thousands of tweets, just hoping to find comments that will ruin their character. Everybody says stupid shit when they're young, it's just a matter of some make the mistake of posting it online and getting famous.

She didn't just say something stupid. She said extremely racist and hateful things. What she said isn't common for anyone.

BestSportsEntertainer
08-04-2018, 05:29 PM
Most memes aren't funny at all after the first couple of times. After then, it's just the same joke over and over and over again.

#AbsoluteUnit
08-04-2018, 06:29 PM
Chicago > New York

Spidey
08-05-2018, 11:14 AM
Courtney Love caught so much shit in the day over the same things Kurt Cobain was pulling it's crazy in hindsight. She didn't deserve all the ridicule.

Hole was also a terrific grunge band and should be right up there with the other 90s greats.

Alex
08-05-2018, 12:55 PM
Courtney Love caught so much shit in the day over the same things Kurt Cobain was pulling it's crazy in hindsight. She didn't deserve all the ridicule.

Hole was also a terrific grunge band and should be right up there with the other 90s greats.

I totally agree with this. I don't believe she had anything to do with his death whatsoever.

1.) Dude was crazy depressed and had many problems before he met her

2.) She could have milked him for so much money because she was A) married to him and B) They had a kid together so she would have been getting money regardless.

In regards to her actual talent. I challenge anyone to listen to the first 3 Hole albums (Pretty On The Inside, Live Through This and Celebrity Skin) and say she's not a good vocalist/songwriter. Hole were definitely one of the best bands of the 90s. She's a decent actress as well (I guess that's what you get when you're possibly Marlon Brando's grandaughter)

Yaz
08-09-2018, 02:45 AM
The level of hate she gets is typically in direct relation to how much you value Kurt Cobain himself.

I've always held that Kurt and Nirvana as a whole are overrated. Most celebrities who commit suicide or die young due to a tragedy usually are. Most people can only name Smells Like Teen Spirit, and even then I'm not 100% sure they know the actual name. It isn't like Love pulled a Yoko. Kurt was never really comfortable with success and the more famous he got, the more his anxiety and depression probably got to him. She may have sped up the process, because lets be honest she had her own baggage that definitely fueled the flames, but I think Kurt offing himself was always going to be the end result.

Now if you want to talk about musical suicides, Elliott Smith is one that hurts me, because I truly don't think he killed himself but was instead murdered by his girlfriend and it was staged as a suicide.

A11
08-10-2018, 11:43 PM
People should never get offended by a joke of any kind. No matter the topic or how offensive or dark it might be

Why? Because it's just a joke. People don't mean any harm by them, and they're just trying to get a few laughs.

Close thread its never going to get more controversial than this

Fallout
08-11-2018, 01:55 AM

Heh, given our current climate, it's kind of taboo nowadays. Just look at the hand-wringing over Boris Johnson's joke about burqas, and Rowan Atkinson's subsequent defence of it.

BestSportsEntertainer
08-11-2018, 02:30 AM

I know you're not my biggest fan, but that's a very controversial opinion

Jack-Hammer
08-11-2018, 07:16 AM
I'm kinda sorta cautiously optimistic about changes that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences are going to make in regards to the Oscars, though I may be in the minority on this. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll give you the gist and what few, very few, existing details there are.

In a letter sent out to its 9,200 members, it was stated that they intended â??to keep the Oscars and our academy relevant in a changing world.â? First, a new category that would honor what the letter called â??popularâ? movies, which is now officially called the Best Popular Film category, with â??Eligibility requirements and other key details will be forthcoming.â? The telecast will be cut to three hours from four and statuettes in â??certainâ? categories will be awarded during commercial breaks. Which categories will be impacted should be pretty easy to garner. The announcement wasnâ??t very popular online and it raised questions on how this would impact movies like Black Panther, which was getting solid buzz for Best Picture consideration.

As I said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this and that might disappear entirely once more details come out. As for the run time being trimmed down, I'm all for it as the Oscars are among the most wretched 4 hours of TV to watch because it's so abysmally dull. Part of the reason for that is because so many of the categories that have awards are categories that, quite frankly, viewers don't really give a damn about. I'm sorry for the sound mixers and film editors who're nominated but the truth is the truth in that most viewers don't really give a damn. With this new "Best Popular Film" category, the total categories in which the Oscar statues are awarded currently stand at 25 and with what people tune in to see are some of their favorite stars.

There's been a big backlash against this and a Tweet sent out by actor Rob Lowe which said, â??The film business passed away today,â? seems to represent the overall feelings of most. On the flip side, Jason Blum, whose Blumhouse Productions has Spike Leeâ??s BlacKkKlansman arriving in theaters, predicted that the revamped Oscar telecast would make more sense once the academy provided more details. The Academy Awards have always sorta been seen as the night specially made for Hollywood insiders to basically rub elbows with each other and, for all intents and purposes, jerk each other off over how talented they are. That's all well and good but a growing criticism over the years is the lack of recognition for "popular" films and the dwindling viewership of the broadcast of the Academy Awards ceremony over the years because ordinary, everyday people often don't see a lot of movies they like, many they've never even heard of, nominated. Last year's ceremony did about 26.5 million in viewers, down from 34.4 million the year before, down from 37.2 million from 2 years earlier and down from 43.7 million 3 years earlier. It's not all just on the changing ways in which we view our popular media as a lot of plain ol' ordinary folks feel that the Oscars are out of touch with a lot of what they're into. That's not to say that there aren't many genuinely great movies worth seeing, it's just that some feel a few tweaks need to be made. After all, animated feature films have had their own category since 2001 so it's not as if the Academy hasn't made concessions when it comes to recognizing popular films. I did a little research and I think this whole thing calls into question of where the blockbusterâ??s place is in Hollywood. In 2017, not one of the nine Best Picture nominees was in the top-ten-grossing movies of the year. In an article I read a few days ago, the 200 top-grossing films of the past 20 years, 42 have been animated, 28 have been Marvel or DC comic book movies, 8 have been Harry Potter movies, 6 were Star Wars movies, 5 were part of the Twilight franchise, and 4 were installments of Disneyâ??s Pirates of the Caribbean. These are the films that keep the lights on and the bills paid in Hollywood.

Film quality is always going to be debatable just like everything else. I mean, just because a film has a $150 million dollar budget doesn't automatically mean that it doesn't have compelling stories and memorable characters portrayed by talented actors just like some arthouse film with a $2 million dollar budget automatically has those things.

Alex
08-12-2018, 03:36 AM
One of my favourite bands (I Killed The Prom Queen) reformed their When Goodbye Means Forever line-up to play Unify festival next year in Australia.

They've now been taken off the bill because of some things the vocalist (Michael Crafter) said a few years ago online. Yes they were dickish things but similar to the James Gunn issue, what is the point of changing as a person if people are going to judge you for what you said several years before. He also apologised and gone on to explain how he's changed.

If you've shown in the intervening years you've changed its water under the bridge in my opinion.

Yaz
08-12-2018, 04:47 AM
I tend to agree with that. Gunn, who used to write for Troma and has a weird sense of humor, said he doesn't really believe what he said, he was just trying to be edgy. Dan Harmon shut down his entire Twitter because of a video he did involving puppet rape years ago, despite the fact that the video was made for a festival devoted to dark and morbid humor and had been available to the public for years. The recent wave of athletes getting tweets from their high school days posted and then them being shamed doesn't take into account them using words like faggot or nigga is super common among dumb ass high school aged boys. Sean Newcomb of the Atlanta Braves was in the midst of a no hitter a couple weeks ago and the news broke mid game of some offensive Tweets he made when he was 18/19. If people feel the need to publicly shame a celebrity, I guess go ahead, but don't hold something against them if they have made a real effort to change as a person.

That said, if you are in the public eye, you should probably go back and check for stupid shit you may have said in your youth. Don't most celebrities have a publicist or image consultant that could do that?

Alex
08-12-2018, 05:20 AM
That said, if you are in the public eye, you should probably go back and check for stupid shit you may have said in your youth. Don't most celebrities have a publicist or image consultant that could do that?

Most do. But I think it's mainly if you can afford one. Crafter's bands were never massive even I Killed The Prom Queen and he just runs small businesses now. and he does most of his social media himself and if you follow him he's very trolly with his comments which I guess could be taken out of context. Not saying what he said isn't bad but I think context is key (something that is hard online)