PDA

View Full Version : SCF Tournament, Round of 32 - AJ Styles vs. Edge

Slyfox696
04-06-2018, 11:49 AM
The following match is scheduled for one fall. The match is held in Indianapolis, Indiana and is a Round of 32 matchup. All seeds represent overall tournament seeding.

https://steelcageforums.com/tourney/pics/ajstyles.jpg

https://steelcageforums.com/tourney/pics/edge.jpg

#15 AJ Styles

vs.
#18 Edge

The discussion period will last for two days, followed by two days for voting. You may vote for whomever you feel deserves to win this match. Please post your reasons below if you wish.

JGlass
04-07-2018, 03:20 PM
For most of his career, AJ Styles has been a big fish in a small pond. As soon as Edge ascended past Vampire Lackey, he was an integral part of the biggest wrestling organization in the world, in one way or another, working his way up from one of the most beloved tag teams in the company's history to one of the most hated villains in the company's history.

I'm not sure what the argument for Styles over Edge could be, maybe one could argue he's a better wrestler? But I think that would be a weak argument to make, and while Styles certainly has high flying moves that Edge does not, Edge was a wildly entertaining performer that took him to the top of the wrestling world. Edge's influence on American wrestling is certainly greater than Style's, and he's Canadian which gives anyone a few extra brownie points in my book.

Fallout
04-07-2018, 05:08 PM
This is a close match, but I think AJ has one major quality over Edge in this match-up; the fact that he, more than any other name, whether that be Angle, Joe, Jarrett or anyone else, established TNA as the definitive #2 company in America during his tenure there. Edge was fortunate that he was exposed in an environment that was already highly popular due to the Attitude Era and what came before it, and then later etched his name in the history books through that company. AJ's path was a lot more difficult, having to work in a relatively unknown company, and through his excellent matches and TNA's continued prosperity in the late noughties, became a household name, and eventually made it to WWE, going on to have a great career in his own right. So while both men have had great careers, I think AJ had the extra mountain to overcome that AJ didn't, which makes his accomplishments all the more special in my opinion.

No disrespect to Edge, but AJ edges this out on merit for me.

JGlass
04-07-2018, 05:21 PM
This is a close match, but I think AJ has one major quality over Edge in this match-up; the fact that he, more than any other name, whether that be Angle, Joe, Jarrett or anyone else, established TNA as the definitive #2 company in America during his tenure there. Edge was fortunate that he was exposed in an environment that was already highly popular due to the Attitude Era and what came before it, and then later etched his name in the history books through that company. AJ's path was a lot more difficult, having to work in a relatively unknown company, and through his excellent matches and TNA's continued prosperity in the late noughties, became a household name, and eventually made it to WWE, going on to have a great career in his own right. So while both men have had great careers, I think AJ had the extra mountain to overcome that AJ didn't, which makes his accomplishments all the more special in my opinion.

No disrespect to Edge, but AJ edges this out on merit for me.

While AJ Styles was building the TNA brand, Edge was headlining WrestleMania.

Fallout
04-07-2018, 05:23 PM
While AJ Styles was building the TNA brand, Edge was headlining WrestleMania.

And Roman Reigns was most likely in diapers when Hogan bodyslammed Andre. I don't understand your point.

JGlass
04-07-2018, 05:47 PM
And Roman Reigns was most likely in diapers when Hogan bodyslammed Andre. I don't understand your point.

Spending your career propping up the #2 wrestling show < Spending your career succeeding immensely on the #1 wrestling show

Fallout
04-07-2018, 10:35 PM
Spending your career propping up the #2 wrestling show < Spending your career succeeding immensely on the #1 wrestling show

I disagree. Whilst Edge was most definitely successful in his career in the WWE, his overall success and legacy is predicated on him being in a company that was already established, and during Edge's prime, he didn't exactly move the needle; if anything, the needle moved in the wrong direction. I'm not trying to blame this on Edge, but in the grand scheme of things, he'll be seen as a big fish in an ocean full of talent.

AJ is in a similar position when it comes to the WWE, a big fish in an ocean full of talent, which is what makes this match as contentious as it is. However, AJ has one distinct advantage over Edge, in that he was one of the instrumental players in building TNA into a legitimate wrestling company; and probably the reason that despite its horrendous mismanagement for nearly 10 years now, it's still staying alive on past glory. AJ became a huge name without needing the WWE, and the only other wrestler I can think of that transcended that accomplishment in modern wrestling history is Sting.

Edge is great, as is AJ, and it's a very close one to call. However, AJ has ultimately had the more difficult path to tread, which makes it all the more of an accomplishment that he's reached where he has today.

Spidey
04-08-2018, 12:28 AM
Him humping Lita got a 5.2 rating. Neither men were Steve Austin, but this moving the needle talk seems to favor Edge way more than Styles.

AJ worked hard to become a name outside of WWE. Admirable, but I think it's more impressive that Edge became a headliner in the biggest pro wrestling company in the world while guys like John Cena and Batista were staking their claims around the same time. Can you imagine Styles being a big deal if he was in the same promotion as them? Or a Triple H or a still spry Undertaker? I can't. AJ's biggest challenge was TNA.

My vote is swaying Edge right now but I may change my mind if there's something other than AJ being the only notable in a company that never rivaled WWE.

Fallout
04-08-2018, 01:23 AM
I mean, sex sells regardless of its quality, just look at the Fifty Shades series.

Also, AJ Styles is a headliner today in a wrestling company more stacked than ever. I'd say his rise to the top in the WWE is even more impressive than Edge's, just look at the sheer amount of talent on the WWE roster currently.

Spidey
04-08-2018, 01:56 AM
I mean, sex sells regardless of its quality, just look at the Fifty Shades series.

You said he didn't move the needle, even stating that it went backwards when it's clear this wasn't true.

Also, AJ Styles is a headliner today in a wrestling company more stacked than ever. I'd say his rise to the top in the WWE is even more impressive than Edge's, just look at the sheer amount of talent on the WWE roster currently.

You may be giving Jinder Mahal more credit here than he deserves.

JGlass
04-08-2018, 08:32 AM
I disagree. Whilst Edge was most definitely successful in his career in the WWE, his overall success and legacy is predicated on him being in a company that was already established, and during Edge's prime, he didn't exactly move the needle; if anything, the needle moved in the wrong direction. I'm not trying to blame this on Edge, but in the grand scheme of things, he'll be seen as a big fish in an ocean full of talent.

AJ is in a similar position when it comes to the WWE, a big fish in an ocean full of talent, which is what makes this match as contentious as it is. However, AJ has one distinct advantage over Edge, in that he was one of the instrumental players in building TNA into a legitimate wrestling company; and probably the reason that despite its horrendous mismanagement for nearly 10 years now, it's still staying alive on past glory. AJ became a huge name without needing the WWE, and the only other wrestler I can think of that transcended that accomplishment in modern wrestling history is Sting.

Edge is great, as is AJ, and it's a very close one to call. However, AJ has ultimately had the more difficult path to tread, which makes it all the more of an accomplishment that he's reached where he has today.

This argument is so stupid. It would be like saying, "Sure, I know Tom Brady just had a fantastic football season, but Buck Folgers is putting XFL on the map!" You're comparing a top star in the best league with a top star in a second rate league and giving the second rate star the edge because he has LESS competition? Edge had to compete with Cena, Orton, HHH, Batista, HBK, Undertaker, Jeff Hardy, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, and yet he still became an 11 time World Champion.

And this whole "not moving the needle," argument is just incorrect on its face. This is a man who pioneered the TLC match. He won the first Money in the Bank ladder match. He was the top heel in the company for the better part of a decade.

Echelon
04-09-2018, 08:33 PM
Both these guys careers are quite similar. AJ has carried Smackdown for the last 2 years. He's held the WWE title for a combined 284 days and counting. Edge did the same thing, helped carry SD from 2007-2009 as a foil for Batista and Undertaker, and then again from late 2010 up until his retirement. He also helped boost RAW as a major foil for Cena during his first run. And later Triple H and Jeff Hardy. I think a major point against Styles is that he's been established as a lesser champion than Brock Lesnar. While Edge never had a show built around him like AJ has, he's never been made to look like a lesser champion.

It's a tough match. I think it's all about longevity, and Edge has that. He's was a headliner in the most profitable wrestling promotion in the world for longer than AJ has been. Even if you factor in the time AJ spent as a top draw in New Japan.

I think AJ needs time. For now, I say Edge wins.

Gazprom
04-13-2018, 03:13 AM
My gut is telling me that AJ should have won this, though I'm not really sure why. Edge is more decorated against better competition but there are a litany of unexpected stars who made it to the top through graft. There aren't many like AJ who were big elsewhere and then made the transition to WWE seamlessly. WCW's biggest stars that moved across were probably DDP and Booker T and they didn't come close to establishing themselves as AJ did. Jericho, Guerrero and Benoit took ages to do it, as did the Big Show. Goldberg is probably the only other wrestler that was entirely associated with a rival national promotion that came in as a championship contender, but he was a huge flash in the pan. I don't know, I think what AJ has done has been remarkable, and despite continuously having 'bigger stars' brought in above him he kept smashing through the ceiling. I like Edge a lot, and can see why he's won, but Styles is better for me.