PDA

View Full Version : SCF Tournament, Sweet Sixteen - John Cena vs. Triple H

Slyfox696
04-14-2018, 06:28 PM
The following match is scheduled for one fall. The match is held in Los Angeles, California and is a Sweet 16 matchup. All seeds represent overall tournament seeding.

https://steelcageforums.com/tourney/pics/johncena.jpg

https://steelcageforums.com/tourney/pics/tripleh.jpg

#5 John Cena

vs.
#12 Triple H

The discussion period will last for two days, followed by two days for voting. You may vote for whomever you feel deserves to win this match. Please post your reasons below if you wish.

SSJPhenom
04-15-2018, 07:35 AM
Two of the greatest of all the times going up against one another. Triple H is arguably the greatest heel in the history of professional wrestling and whether you love him or hate him you have to admit that he is that damn good. He carried the WWE in between the departure of the Rock and Austin and when John Cena became the face. Business might not have been what it was when Austin and Rock were there, but that's not Trips' fault. Business was never going to be that good ever again. Did Trips carry a shovel around with him backstage? Probably, as I'm sure Booker T and Legend Killer Randy Orton can attest to, but the point is that he was good enough and a big enough name to carry that shovel. Can't take anything away from The Game.

Then there's John Cena. The face that has ran the place for well over a decade. Love him or hate him nobody can deny how good he was and still is quite honestly. The quintessential company man and a sixteen time champ to boot. Probably is on the Mt. Rushmore of Professional Wrestling.

When comparing these two and their legacies and body of work; John Cena wins out. Personally I'd take Trips in the ring over Cena but Cena is better at most everything else. Furthermore, every time that these two have met in the squared circle with stakes on the line, Cena has been the one walking away with his hand raised. Whether it was for the title or something like a Royal Rumble; John Cena has had Trips' number. I don't see any reason why that would change now.

Vote Cena.

#AbsoluteUnit
04-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Tough match-up. HHH is a 13x World Champion, whereas Cena is a 16x World champion. I think HHH gets a lot of praise from being in an era with the likes of Austin, Rock, Taker, Angle, HBK, Bret, Kane, Y2J etc. In-ring wise, I slightly have HHH over Cena. But it's not about in-ring work in this business, it's about how many people come to your show, how many people watch your product and how many people buy your merchandise. Trips has had a terrific career, but Cena moves on here.

v - Cena

LSN80
04-16-2018, 08:45 AM
Furthermore, every time that these two have met in the squared circle with stakes on the line, Cena has been the one walking away with his hand raised. Whether it was for the title or something like a Royal Rumble; John Cena has had Trips' number. I don't see any reason why that would change now.

Vote Cena.

Well, there was the main event of Night of Champions 2008 for the WWE Championship that saw HHH retain his championship against Cena. Other then that, Iâ??m hard pressed to come up with a logical reason to vote for HHH here. With both men solidly in their primes, Cena not only defeated HHH but made him tap out in the main event of WrestleMania 22. That alone provides me with the significant ammunition needed to vote Cena over HHH, and its hardly an aberration or isolated moment. Backlashâ??s main event the following month also saw Cena get his hand raised, this time scoring the decisive pinball over HHH. Royal Rumble 2008 saw Cena last eliminate HHH and elimination chamber 2010 saw Cena make HHH submit again to win the WWE Title inside the chamber. So not only has Cena had HHHâ??s number, heâ??s done so under every imaginable scenario one could come up with it.

Iâ??m perversely curious as to the (flawed)logic that those who vote for HHH used to come to that conclusion. HHH gives Cena one hell of a battle, but I canâ??t see a scenario in which the Champ doesnâ??t have his hand raised.

Spidey
04-16-2018, 12:12 PM
John Cena got over by gay bashing his opponents into oblivion. He was a product of his time, but I really don't think history will look at him as being a deep character. Triple H, despite not getting the upperhand on The Champ, is by far more dimensional. Videos made by professional directors have shown how well-constructed the mythos to The King of Kings really is. Triple H has many facets to his character than Cena does and I don't know how that could be argued.

But the landscape of pro wrestling did change with Cena as the star, and so I am leaning towards him. For how great a character Triple H really is, Cena was a simpler, familiar type of hero to the general audience and as he began to reduce his infamous Eminem persona towards a marine enthusiast, the product itself became more family friendly. I'm not saying the targeted demographic changed solely due to Cena, but he was a big factor. That on top of being a merchandise machine gives him the edge. Not due to some predetermined choreography or allotted prop time, but because John Cena was just a greater deal in the internet age than Triple H before or after.

DNA 2.0
04-17-2018, 06:56 AM
If John Cena is the face of the WWE, Triple H is the opposite. He's the heel of the WWE. And IMO those two are completely tied in everything. In ring work, legacy, marketability, drawing power. HHH remained on top after Cena rised on top. HHH is second overall wrestler with the longest longevity that has transcended through different eras, with the first one being The Undertaker. This is a very tough call for me. I will go with Triple H, mainly because HHH had an important role in wrestling's greatest era, something Cena can't really say.

Gazprom
04-19-2018, 10:35 AM
Triple H has spent his entire career trying to be Ric Flair. Cena is effortlessly like Hulk Hogan. Triple H may have more clout etc, but in every way he is inferior to John Cena.