PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated matches in your opinion?

Stone Cold Tea
04-15-2018, 02:44 PM
Thread is what the title says.

I'll start off with 'Taker vs HHH Hell in a Cell 'Mania 28. I think this match flat out sucked. Granted I didn't watch it live I watched it the day after but for me it was so corny. HHH constantly screaming stay down and asking why won't you die over and over was stupid. Michaels was over the top with his reactions and didn't need to be there in my opinion.

So what matches are there that people think are great that you don't like?

SSJPhenom
04-15-2018, 03:03 PM
This one is easy for me. Bret Hart vs HBK 60 min Iron Man Match at WrestleMania 12.

I've never seen the allure of that match. It was just boring IMO. It's not the length of that match because I absolutely loved Angle/Lesnar in their Iron Man match and Trips/Rock had a great one too. Michaels/Hart, though, was just uninteresting to me. Maybe it was because I never bought into their rivalry or something, but that match just bores me to death.

Y 2 Jake
04-15-2018, 03:10 PM
The Iron Man match is a fine example of matches that don't have to be particularly good to be classics.

The majority of Jericho's catalogue.

#AbsoluteUnit
04-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Just off my head without thinking too hard...

Warrior - Savage at WM 7.

Edge - Undertaker - WM 24

CM Punk - Undertaker - WM 29

That's all at the moment.

BestSportsEntertainer
04-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Undertaker vs Kurt Angle - No Way Out 2006

SSJPhenom
04-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Undertaker vs Kurt Angle - No Way Out 2006

Blasphemous. You take that back sir. That match was awesome and a classic!!!!!!

Undying
04-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Taker vs HBK Mania 25 easily. It was good until Taker botched the dive. After that it was just finishers and kick outs none of which i bought Shawn as winning.

Big Nick Dudley
04-16-2018, 07:33 AM
AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, WM34....

Yer Maw
04-16-2018, 08:03 AM
The Rock v Hulk Hogan.

Yer Maw
04-16-2018, 08:05 AM
John Cena v The Rock. Both of them.

Y 2 Jake
04-16-2018, 08:56 AM
Do people rate Nakamura vs. Styles or the Cena/Rock matches?

smarkmouth
04-16-2018, 09:37 AM
AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, WM34....

By virtue of being built ENTIRELY around it being a dream match, it was absolutely doomed to be overrated.

OYDK
04-16-2018, 11:26 AM
By virtue of being built ENTIRELY around it being a dream match, it was absolutely doomed to be overrated.

It's not overrated because pretty much everyone has willingly admitted that it wasn't great.

smarkmouth
04-16-2018, 11:49 AM
I should rephrase. If it were a barnburner, it would still be viewed as overrated because of how it was hyped. But indeed, it was only a passable match.

Edit: Ugh, I misread you OYDK. You are right, I've yet to see anyone sing this matches praises.

Stone Cold Tea
04-16-2018, 11:55 AM
The Rock v Hulk Hogan.

I think it was John Cena who said ''If you then the volume down and watch that match then it's the worst matches ever, however, watch it was the volume up and hear the fans reaction and it's one of the greatest matches of all time''.

I think he's bang on the money with that statement.

Jack-Hammer
04-16-2018, 03:03 PM
This one will probably be somewhat controversial but I'm going with Okada vs. Omega from Wrestle Kingdom 11. Not that it wasn't a good match but wrestling if often subjective and I saw a number of matches last year that I thought were better including Cena vs. Styles, Omega vs. Naito, Bate vs. Dunne, WarGames, Black vs. Dream and some others. I suppose it also stems from Uncle Dave breaking his own rating system and declaring this, at one point, possibly the greatest match in the history of professional wrestling. Too often I felt that the match was purposely going on just for the sake of being an extremely long match and would've felt much slicker if they'd cut about 15 minutes off it.

FunKay
04-16-2018, 04:06 PM
John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels from WrestleMania 23. Most recognise their match from a few weeks later in London as superior, but still herald this as Cena's best match at Mania etc... For me it's perfectly well and good, but not much different than most main event matches, and the match between Batista and Undertaker which went on as the first half main event was in my mind significantly better and more entertaining. It also helped they ended up in the feud of the year with a series of one-on-one encounters.

Y 2 Jake
04-16-2018, 09:49 PM
95% of Cena matches

Elky
04-17-2018, 01:38 PM
Angle/Benoit (Royal Rumble 2003): Maybe I need to give it another watch, but to me it was just another great match from the two.

Any hour long iron man match: Too long for my attention span.

Steamboat/Savage: Another great match, but it gets GOAT status because it was an NWA-esque fight that no WWF fan at the time has seen.

Undying
04-17-2018, 01:54 PM
Angle/Benoit (Royal Rumble 2003): Maybe I need to give it another watch, but to me it was just another great match from the two.

Yeah I've seen this applauded by many including KB (no offense) but I've watch it countless times and haven't been that blown away by it. My favorite match of theirs in Unforgiven 2002.

DNA 2.0
04-18-2018, 06:08 PM
CM Punk vs Chris Jericho at WM 28. This definately wasn't the best match on the card as some said back then.

Almas vs Gargano from TakerOver: Philladelphia. Why was this 5-stars when HBK vs Undertaker wasn't?

Any Okada vs Omega match. Yes, they were definately great and maybe 5-stars, but going 6 stars, 6,5 stars was insane...

Reigns vs Cena. Just like Rock vs Hogan before that and Andre vs Hogan even before that, here we have a match that absolutely sucked but the fans loved it because of the names involved. Which raises the question: what is considered a good wrestling match? A match that gets the fans screaming or a match that is technicaly amazing and has great psychology?

IMO a 5-star classic should combine story, fan reaction, in-ring work, psychology and storytelling.

Also, Undertaker vs Triple H at Wrestlemania. All of them. The first one was a glorified brawl. The second one was a big battle, sure, but it wasn't the best match of WM 27. The third one was overbooked and Undertaker looked like an immortal that night. So much that 3 F5s 3 years later seem not enough to put him out. All of them were great, but not as great as people make them out to be.

#AbsoluteUnit
04-18-2018, 07:48 PM
All of the matches between Kenny Omega vs Okada.

Yes, I'm biased.

Uncle Sam
04-19-2018, 06:30 AM
Reigns vs Cena. Just like Rock vs Hogan before that and Andre vs Hogan even before that, here we have a match that absolutely sucked but the fans loved it because of the names involved. Which raises the question: what is considered a good wrestling match? A match that gets the fans screaming or a match that is technicaly amazing and has great psychology?

1) Reigns vs. Cena was garbage and this is the first I'm hearing of it generally being considered a good match. 2) Rock vs. Hogan and Hogan vs. Andre are both stupendously good. The latter might seem peculiar when viewed through a modern lens but if you don't understand Rock vs. Hogan, you don't understand wrestling.

Of course, there's the argument mentioned earlier that is obviously super compelling: if you entirely ignore that professional wrestling is largely the art of playing to and controlling a crowd, it's not very good. That's why I watch all matches on mute and pitch a vicious tent any time there's an empty arena match. When I was watching Gargano vs. Almas in Philly, I was frantically shushing everyone and telling them there was no way to tell the match was any good if they didn't stop yelling.

Fallout
04-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Undertaker vs HHH was the best match at WM17, sans TLC.

I think HBK vs Hart at WM12 is pretty overrated. Most Iron Man matches are.