PDA

View Full Version : MYCII News

smarkmouth
07-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Here's the first of what should be a handful of announcements in the coming days. Via wwe.com

After more than four years away from WWE, former Divas Champion Kaitlyn will make her in-ring return this summer when she competes in the 2018 Mae Young Classic.

The news, which was first reported by ESPN, makes Kaitlyn the first official participant to be revealed for this yearâ??s 32-woman tournament.

Decent first string announcement. I liked Kaitlyn towards the end of her run.

Fallout
07-11-2018, 11:09 AM
I loved Kaitlyn. She was gorgeous, and a pretty underrated performer in the ring. She had some great matches with AJ Lee.

Jack-Hammer
07-11-2018, 12:48 PM
You know, this might explain why there's been a distinct shortage of pics of Kaitlyn posing near nude, in skimpy lingerie or barely there bikinis for much of this year: she's been training for an in-ring return. I know that hardly a day went by last year and early this year in which wrestlinginc.com didn't have at least one new pic of her on a daily basis.

I wasn't hugely impressed with Kaitlyn in the ring except for her matches with AJ. However, to be fair, Kaitlyn's matches with AJ Lee were really the only instances in WWE during those days in which women were told to go out there and actually wrestle. I mean, her matches with AJ were the first 10+ minute matches for women that I could remember in the longest time and I remember how excited a lot of people were since we were hoping this meant a sign of things to come for the women's division. I'm curious to see how, if any, she's changed. She had a unique look, a hot one as well, but she had no personality. I don't know if it was just her, if it was Vince's restrictions or what.

Truth be told, I'd like to see some of these tournaments eventually get around to being conducted under round robin rules as it could mean more quality programming added to the WWE Network. Round robin style can give you more opportunities to see what the wrestlers bring to the ring and with a variety of different opponents. Someone who doesn't look particularly impressive losing his/her first match in a single elimination tournament could potentially flourish in a round robin setting.

#AbsoluteUnit
07-11-2018, 04:37 PM
She's cool. Good to see her back in the ring. She'll probably put someone over. I wouldn't mind seeing her back in the WWE full-time again.

Slyfox696
07-11-2018, 07:12 PM
Wait, did I miss something? Who cares about Kaitlyn and why are people moderately excited for her to come back?

Spidey
07-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Don't let this distract you from Jack Hammer stating there aren't many sexy pics nowadays because a barely remembered woman will compete in a tournament.

smarkmouth
07-11-2018, 08:10 PM
Wait, did I miss something? Who cares about Kaitlyn and why are people moderately excited for her to come back?
Eh, I'm not bouncing in my chair but she was pretty competent, especially towards the end of her run. I'm no more excited than when Serena Deeb was announced for MYC1. It's just nice to see a familiar face.

Fallout
07-12-2018, 05:28 AM

She had decent matches, got better in the ring, and had a unique look. She has somewhat of a Beth Phoenix quality to her.

Slyfox696
07-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Eh, I'm not bouncing in my chair but she was pretty competent, especially towards the end of her run. I'm no more excited than when Serena Deeb was announced for MYC1. It's just nice to see a familiar face.

She had decent matches, got better in the ring, and had a unique look. She has somewhat of a Beth Phoenix quality to her.
We must not have been watching the same matches...

Jack-Hammer
07-12-2018, 03:27 PM
They announced the next participant earlier today, an Australian wrestler named Rhea Ripley. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StFT-tL2Dtw

The basics are she's 20 years old, has been involved in wrestling since her mid teens, she's a smokin' hot green eyed blonde and she's signed to NXT.

BestSportsEntertainer
07-12-2018, 03:53 PM
We must not have been watching the same matches...

She had a pretty good match with AJ, which was the only real time she had a chance.

ShinChan
07-12-2018, 10:12 PM
They announced the next participant earlier today, an Australian wrestler named Rhea Ripley. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StFT-tL2Dtw

The basics are she's 20 years old, has been involved in wrestling since her mid teens, she's a smokin' hot green eyed blonde and she's signed to NXT.
She was in first tournament as well. Won first two matches if I remember correctly.

#AbsoluteUnit
07-12-2018, 10:35 PM
Isn't Ripley in NXT at the moment? Not that matters, but that's what I thought. She's pretty too.

ShinChan
07-13-2018, 12:33 AM
Isn't Ripley in NXT at the moment? Not that matters, but that's what I thought. She's pretty too.
Yes. In NXT.

#AbsoluteUnit
07-13-2018, 02:36 AM
Yes. In NXT.

Has she had any matches yet? I don't watch NXT.

smarkmouth
07-13-2018, 10:08 AM
She might have made a few appearances but hasn't been involved in the storylines yet. In fact, unless I'm mistaken, she made an appearance in the WrestleMania Battle Royal. Other than that she was involved in last year's MYC and progressed a round or two.

ShinChan
07-13-2018, 10:42 AM
She might have made a few appearances but hasn't been involved in the storylines yet. In fact, unless I'm mistaken, she made an appearance in the WrestleMania Battle Royal. Other than that she was involved in last year's MYC and progressed a round or two.
Yes. She was in the Battle Royal. And yes, she progressed through two rounds. I remember her defeating Dakota Kai. Unless I'm imagining.

smarkmouth
07-13-2018, 10:47 AM
I'm afraid you are. Dakota was eliminated by Kairi Sane. Thanks for confirming the Battle Royal, I couldn't find a reference for that.

smarkmouth
07-13-2018, 11:13 AM
Missed my edit window on the last post by what I assume was minutes, but Triple H just announced a batch of competitors. The biggest name of which was recent NXT signing Io Shirai, known best competing the last 7 years for Stardom. Her signing generated a buzz, so we can safely expect her to progress far in the tournament.

Rounding out Triple H's tweet is NXT UK competitor Jinny Couture, Ninja Warrior/Performance Center Kacy Catanzaro, and indie veteran Nicole Matthews.

BestSportsEntertainer
07-13-2018, 03:47 PM

Not to go off topic, but you really need to watch NXT. I watched the last Takeover event and was kicking myself for not having watched it all this time.

ShinChan
07-14-2018, 04:03 AM
I'm afraid you are. Dakota was eliminated by Kairi Sane. Thanks for confirming the Battle Royal, I couldn't find a reference for that.
I botched it. Dakota Kai did face Rhea Ripley and actually defeated her. And yes, you're right. Sane defeated Kai. Ripley got out in the second round itself. My wrong. Sorry.

ShinChan
07-14-2018, 04:04 AM
Not to go off topic, but you really need to watch NXT. I watched the last Takeover event and was kicking myself for not having watched it all this time.
I feel that about every TakeOver when I have to be content with seeing just the highlights...

smarkmouth
07-27-2018, 01:29 PM
In what might be the be the biggest announcement to date, the MYC has confirmed that Japan Legend Meiko Satomura will perform in the Mae Young Classic!

via wwe.com;

A head-kicking demigod of the Japanese wrestling scene is headed to the Mae Young Classic.

Meiko Satomura, a 23-year veteran who is considered the final boss in Japan â?? the one opponent that every starry-eyed wrestler strives to defeat â?? is now confirmed for this yearâ??s global tournament, Tokyo Sports reported.

A living legend in the Far East, Satomura began training for the ring in 1994 at age 14. She made her professional debut the following year and stands as one of the few active competitors whose origin dates to Japanâ??s thunderous womenâ??s wrestling boom in the 1990s. Viewed as a top prospect from day one, Satomura even competed in WCW early in her career. Mentored by Chigusa Nagayo (one-half of the famous Crush Girls tag team), she also trained under catch-wrestling icon Billy Robinson.

Known for her debilitating Death Valley Bomb and explosive Scorpion Rising axe kick, Satomura is a master of Joshi Strong Style (the hard-hitting in-ring style associated with Japanese female wrestlers). As the founder of Sendai Girls Pro Wrestling, she has been a formidable advocate for womenâ??s wrestling.

Also returning to the tournament from last year are Mercedes Martinez and Toni Storm. Martinez is a veteran in her own right, and was partly responsible for the in-ring training of current NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler. Storm was a huge standout from last year's tournament. She just has it, and can go in the ring, too! Both Storm and Martinez were semi-finalists in last year's tournament, losing to Sane and Baszler respectively.

There are presently 21 confirmed names, so there are presumably another 11 to go. Hard to imagine a bigger name than Satomura being announced, but who knows!

Also worth noting that the finals will take place at WWE Evolution in October. This will be a much better setting than last year's finals, which were squeezed in after an episode of Smackdown. In my opinion, the finals lost a lot of energy due to presentation and setting despite best efforts by the company.

smarkmouth
08-03-2018, 06:36 AM
And the Impact Knockouts division now has a presence in the tournament as Madison Rayne, now known as Ashley Rayne is involved.

MYC has also confirmed popular Japanese star Hiroyo Matsumoto into the fray, as well as Vanessa Kraven. Kraven is a talent from here in Montreal who I've seen a few times at IWS (old stomping ground of Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn). She's got a great look and impressed me each time I've seen her work. Hope that it translates to TV.

I think that rounds up all participants. I'm very disappointed that the WWE isn't taking a second look at Jazzy Gabert. She impressed alot of people last year, even after being eliminated in the first round.

smarkmouth
08-03-2018, 10:28 AM
I am mistaken, as WWE continues to announce names. Rachel Ellering returns to the tournament.

Skairipa
08-03-2018, 01:39 PM
Sienna/Allysin Kay has also been added and I'm pumped for that one. If they don't go the obvious and boring route of having the big japanese star win it again, she could be a good choice to win.

smarkmouth
08-08-2018, 09:03 AM
ESPN'a Tim Fiorvanti just reported the following;

The three-person commentary team for the second @MaeYoungClassic will feature @TheBethPhoenix & @ReneeYoungWWE alongside @MichaelCole.
Coverage on WWE Network starts August 29 with Bracketology with @mauroranallo,
Matches air starting September 5.

Providing Michael Cole isn't overproduced, which I don't expect, that's a pretty solid team!

Skairipa
08-08-2018, 02:50 PM
Ugh Michael Cole. Was hoping for Mauro.

smarkmouth
08-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Ugh Michael Cole. Was hoping for Mauro.
Were it not for last year's UK tournament, I'd be there with you. While I still prefer Mauro, hearing Cole without the promotional chains binding him is something I look forward to.

ShinChan
08-08-2018, 10:43 PM
Were it not for last year's UK tournament, I'd be there with you. While I still prefer Mauro, hearing Cole without the promotional chains binding him is something I look forward to.
I want MAAMA MIAAAAAAA. Can Cole do it? I hope that he does. :)

Fallout
08-08-2018, 11:16 PM
I like Mauro and think he's immensely talented, but he can be pretty annoying when he does the Mamma Mia line; it just comes across as if he's trying to ape Jim Ross in the PG era.

I also really do like Cole, and think he's underappreciated by a lot of people. Provided he's not being dictated what to say over the headset, I think he'll be great.

ShinChan
08-09-2018, 12:52 AM
I like Mauro and think he's immensely talented, but he can be pretty annoying when he does the Mamma Mia line; it just comes across as if he's trying to ape Jim Ross in the PG era.

I also really do like Cole, and think he's underappreciated by a lot of people. Provided he's not being dictated what to say over the headset, I think he'll be great.
I love when he does that.

Just saw the parade of this year's participants and I was shocked to see Rhea Ripley's transformation.

smarkmouth
08-10-2018, 07:37 AM
PROTIP: Want to avoid spoilers for the MYC? Don't visit the WWE Evolution wikipedia page. (I didn't, just heard)

Jack-Hammer
08-10-2018, 05:31 PM
PROTIP: Want to avoid spoilers for the MYC? Don't visit the WWE Evolution wikipedia page. (I didn't, just heard)

That's why I avoid it and started avoiding it on the same day they were filming the first batch of matches. I have a few relatives that have been on vacation down in Orlando this week and they attended the tapings. I didn't ask them for any spoilers and they were good enough to not ruin it for me, they only said that the overall set up and match quality was infinitely better than the first tournament last year.

pedro
08-25-2018, 01:27 PM
WWE Evolution wikipedia are dinosaurs (http://bestdinosaurs.com). its the worst page i ever seen.