PDA

View Full Version : The What Has Trump Done Now Thread

klunderbunker
02-19-2018, 12:30 AM
I have a feeling this might get some regular traffic. You know he's going to do and/or say something stupid on a pretty much daily basis and some of them can be used for either a laugh or a cry, considering how stupid he's feeling that day.

This time around: he's saying the Florida shooting might not have happened if the FBI had been investigating the shooter instead of working on the Russia probe.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trump-blasts-fbi-over-parkland-shooting-says-too-much-time-n849121

I can accept the idea that the FBI screwed up here and could have been more diligent, but if Trump had stopped there, everything would have been fine. But no, as usual, he has to turn this into something about himself, even if it's a mass shooting. The worst part for me isn't that the President of the United States is using a moment like this to talk about himself and bash his political adversaries, but that this is now considered perfectly normal behavior on his part.

Yaz
02-19-2018, 04:29 AM
I can't even say I'm surprised, but his base believes this too. Kind of sickens me.

I was chatting with a buddy of mine in the military over the weekend and he said a lot of the guys he works with, himself included, are just disgusted with it. Like the FBI is only like five guys and all five are busy making up this Russia stuff.

JGlass
02-19-2018, 05:54 AM
I don't know how much you can really blame the FBI on this one. What were they supposed to do, detain a minor that hadn't committed any crimes because he was likely a psychopath? I'm not sure there's a protocol for taking a minor that's suspected of being capable of committing a heinous crime into the custody of law enforcement.

I blame the school more than law enforcement on this one. The kid came to school with bullets in his backpack, had talked about doing this type of thing, and he was still allowed to come to school every day unchecked.

HBK-aholic
02-19-2018, 06:12 AM
I genuinely do not understand how you see 17 children have died, and your responses are 'It's Obama's fault' (Yep, seriously) and 'How can I make this about me?' Adding this to my long list of reasons Trump is a despicable piece of shit. He did send his thoughts and prayers though, so, clearly, all is well :rolleyes:

Slyfox696
02-19-2018, 06:17 AM
Trump's responses to this school shooting just show he is only concerned about himself. For him to try and link an agency of 35,000 people with the idea the Russia probe kept the FBI from investigating one of 300+ million Americans shows a level of self-centeredness beyond what we should tolerate from a President.

Yaz
02-19-2018, 06:23 AM
At this point we have to be close to collecting enough thoughts and prayers to solve the gun issue right?

Slyfox696
02-19-2018, 06:28 AM
At this point we have to be close to collecting enough thoughts and prayers to solve the gun issue right?It's too soon after the shooting to start having that talk, isn't it?

Which is convenient for those people, since we have a mass shooting often enough that it is always too soon?

Yaz
02-19-2018, 06:30 AM
It's too soon after the shooting to start having that talk, isn't it?

Which is convenient for those people, since we have a mass shooting often enough that it is always too soon?

I actually said this in jest the other night when someone pulled the "It is too soon to politicize this tragedy" card. Well by the time it is okay to politicize it, another shooting has already happened so I guess your side wins.

JGlass
02-19-2018, 07:03 AM
The students from the school are politicizing it, are the rest of us not allowed to join in?

I'd love to see one of the figures on the right tell them it's too soon to politicize it, Tomi Lahren seems like a good candidate.

Phoenix
02-19-2018, 12:05 PM
The fact that the students have been stepping up and calling out the BS of the situation has been amazing and I applaud them for it. The problem is nothing is going to change right now and even if the November elections flip the House and Senate, it's not going to change with him still in office. I just hope we don't have to endure more shootings until the time change finally happens, but given this is the 18th school (not mass school) shooting for just this year alone, it's a long way to go.

Yaz
02-19-2018, 12:39 PM
I will argue for more gun control until I die, probably from a gun since I'm ten times more likely to die from gun violence in America than any other country, but I honestly don't think it will happen. If dead elementary school children at Sandy Hook didn't do it, nothing will. I thought maybe when the DC shooting took place it might happen since members of congress were the victims, but nope. As long as the NRA exists and keeps funneling money into pockets of elected officials, it won't ever change.

Phoenix
02-19-2018, 12:45 PM
I will argue for more gun control until I die, probably from a gun since I'm ten times more likely to die from gun violence in America than any other country, but I honestly don't think it will happen. If dead elementary school children at Sandy Hook didn't do it, nothing will. I thought maybe when the DC shooting took place it might happen since members of congress were the victims, but nope. As long as the NRA exists and keeps funneling money into pockets of elected officials, it won't ever change.

Agreed. As someone who moved to the US, I never understood the need for guns. They only have one purpose and that is to take away life. In the past few years, I've seen every argument to oppose gun control and they truly lack any logic except for selfish needs to own one. I'm not going to break down the specifics but as you rightly pointed out, Sandy Hook should have been the event to end this and we know how that went.

Yaz
02-19-2018, 12:58 PM
It is such an all or nothing argument from pro gun people. They act like anyone who wants tougher and tighter laws wants to take all the guns away. No, I don't want that. I own a gun, I used to go hunting with my dad. I understand they do serve some purpose for the common man, but you don't need an assault rifle to hunt deer and if you are stupid enough to want to hunt dangerous animals like bears, then maybe you deserve to get mauled.

klunderbunker
02-19-2018, 01:30 PM
I'm of a similar thought process. There are reasons to have guns without being a raging psycho. Owning a gun for your house or for hunting is a far cry from having virtually no restrictions on what you can have one for. The NRA/GOP (they're kind of the same thing on this) loves to scare people into thinking that common sense gun laws are going to take away every gun, but that's not even close to what is being suggested. There's a very easy middle ground and if that's something people are looking at, it has a chance. Granted that won't happen under the current GOP dominance, but it could one day.

HBK-aholic
02-19-2018, 04:38 PM
Honestly, I find your obsession with the constitution bordering ridiculous. People are literally indoctrinated at such a young age into the thinking that the constitution is the be all and end all of life - at least when it comes to the 2nd amendment. Whenever anyone discusses gun control, the only replies are 'well the constitution says so!'. Dear America, your constitution is not perfect. In fact, sometimes it is stupid. Like allowing any Tom, Dick or Harry access to weapons they are not trained to use. If your only pro-gun argument is that a piece of paper written over 200 years ago says you can, you've already lost.

If I had to undergo 2 different kinds of tests and hours of practice in order to drive a car, you should not be able to walk into a gun store and buy a gun on the basis you haven't been convicted of a felony. And when people say they need guns to stop the government attacking them, I do have to laugh. I hate the current US President with a passion, but if the government, with their very skilled military want you dead, a few shotguns are not going to help you.

JGlass
02-19-2018, 05:37 PM
Honestly, I find your obsession with the constitution bordering ridiculous. People are literally indoctrinated at such a young age into the thinking that the constitution is the be all and end all of life - at least when it comes to the 2nd amendment.

No it's not just for the 2nd Amendment, it's for the whole thing.

I think the reason we're so infatuated with the Constitution is because for more than 200 years it's done a surprisingly good job of outlining how to run our country. It's pretty shocking that a huge portion of the rules laid out by a bunch of farmers in 1787 has worked pretty consistently for us for so long when so many things have changed. But it isn't perfect, and there are some things the founding fathers couldn't possibly have fathomed, and there are certain things in our country that very clearly need to be changed. Our relationship with guns should be one of them.

Yaz
02-20-2018, 06:31 AM
Back in my early 20s I read Lies My Teachers Told Me and one of the things it covered was America's obsession with the Founding Fathers and how we view them as infallible. A lot of it was due to propaganda spread in our countries early days as a means to unite us. People who were pro America and before that pro independence, would spread stories that built of Washington and Jefferson and the others as these near god like figures. It was necessary to keep the colonies united and then necessary again to keep a young nation pointed toward growth. It just had the unintended side effect that 200 plus years later, we still believe these men to be perfect.

Slyfox696
02-20-2018, 06:53 AM
Back in my early 20s I read Lies My Teachers Told Me and one of the things it covered was America's obsession with the Founding Fathers and how we view them as infallible. A lot of it was due to propaganda spread in our countries early days as a means to unite us. People who were pro America and before that pro independence, would spread stories that built of Washington and Jefferson and the others as these near god like figures. It was necessary to keep the colonies united and then necessary again to keep a young nation pointed toward growth. It just had the unintended side effect that 200 plus years later, we still believe these men to be perfect.My favorite part of any discussion about the founders is how people just automatically assume because they were in our past, they were naturally conservative (and devoutly Christian) men.

Which, of course, is absolute hogwash to anyone who has spent ten minutes thinking or researching it, but it's still fun nonetheless.

JGlass
02-20-2018, 07:36 AM
So Mitt Romney, one of the few Republicans that has stood staunchly against Trump since the election, has finally gotten on his knees like the rest of his party and accepted Trump as his overlord: https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/bj5dem/mitt-romney-trump-endorsement?utm_source=vicenewsfb

I recommend reading the article just so you can see how Romney helped build Trump up as legitimate only to find himself at DJT's mercy 5 years later. Romney accepted Trump's endorsement when he was running against Obama and praised Trump's ability to understand our economy and how to create jobs. Now of course, those of us with even half a lick of sense have determined that this is fake news, I'd be surprised if Trump understands how the economy works, let alone how a belt buckle works, but Mitt Romney served as a nice reminder that not all Republicans are okay with what Trump's rhetoric and the real threat he represents to immigrants, trans people, the environment, and our world standing. In fact, he even put Trump on blast when he announced his candidacy for senate, and I think he was largely being hyped up as an anti-Trump Republican.

But now he's decided to play nice with Trump and graciously accept the endorsement. I think this is just an attempt to make it look like everything is fine in the Republican party, everyone is getting along, nobody has lost faith in 45, and they're all working together to make America Great Again. I'm hoping folks are making a bigger deal out of this than it actually is, that Romney will be the anti-Trump Republican he set out to be, but it seems like Trump has a way of turning his detractors to his side (he and Lindsey Graham have had a pretty tumultuous relationship but last I heard they were golf buddies).

Fucking Republicans, man.

Yaz
02-20-2018, 07:43 AM
My favorite part of any discussion about the founders is how people just automatically assume because they were in our past, they were naturally conservative (and devoutly Christian) men.

Which, of course, is absolute hogwash to anyone who has spent ten minutes thinking or researching it, but it's still fun nonetheless.

Yeah, the whole debate on the religious nature of them is a fun one. Franklin was outspoken in his doubts of a higher being, as well as being a man whore. Jefferson was iffy and did his best to separate his religious and political life.

My favorite argument is "Well when people first came to America they came because they were seeking religious freedom because England wouldn't let them worship God how they wanted." While not entirely untrue, it simplifies the rather complex reasoning for traveling across the ocean to a new land.

On an unrelated note, I was home schooled for three years, my parents used this Christian based program called Abeka, which was associated with Pensacola Christian College in Florida. It was all the typical Young Earth Creationist and Biblical Literalism stuff that you would expect. Anytime the Civil War came up we were taught that Stonewall Jackson was a good man because he was a devout Christian.

Барбоса
02-20-2018, 07:57 AM
My favorite part of any discussion about the founders is how people just automatically assume because they were in our past, they were naturally conservative (and devoutly Christian) men.

Yeah, its not like the guiding principles of American Independence sprouted from perhaps the most irreligious period in European history since the completion of the Christian conversion...

My favorite argument is "Well when people first came to America they came because they were seeking religious freedom because England wouldn't let them worship God how they wanted." While not entirely untrue, it simplifies the rather complex reasoning for traveling across the ocean to a new land.

The folks on the Mayflower sailed to the New World so that they could have it that their Puritanism would be the only faith. They were 'persecuted' in England for wanting to persecute. And let's not forget that the Mayflower was hardly the founding of America, coming over 120 years after the discovery of North America by Cabot, over 30 years after the naming of 'Virginia' and a generation after the founding of Jamestown.

HBK-aholic
02-20-2018, 11:30 AM
In today's edition of Trump tweets stupid stuff, he rebutts a sexual assault claim, not because it's awful behaviour he would never do, but because 'Who would do this in a public space with live security cameras running'.

Seriously :suspicious:

Slyfox696
02-23-2018, 10:39 PM
"Today was the day Donald trump finally became president"

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/967217811125751809

klunderbunker
02-23-2018, 10:44 PM
Was this due to his latest batch of promises of things he'll do? I couldn't get the news because the big wall blocked my signal while I was on part of the trillion dollar infrastructure funded roads on my way to find out about the newly set up Obamacare replacement.