PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Jarrett to the WWE Hall of Fame

klunderbunker
02-19-2018, 10:28 AM
Also known as dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acdQ9xFuGXI

I'm not sure if this is some big rib on TNA or just another way of Vince showing how he can get anyone back in the fold one way or another, but this is just so bizarre to see.

'Ravishing' Ned Flanders
02-19-2018, 10:34 AM
I honestly don't know what to say.

After doing my research over the years i can say i never thought this would happen.

Makes thd HoF ceremony something to watch. I wonder if Kurt will be there.

FunKay
02-19-2018, 10:41 AM
I'm gonna' guess Road Dogg to induct him given their WWF related connections, but Jeepers Creepers this is bizarre.

Барбоса
02-19-2018, 11:03 AM
Not really getting how this is all that strange. Vince has reconciled with competitors and other 'unreconcilables' before.

ABMorales787
02-19-2018, 11:10 AM
I think the weirdest part about all this is that it's coming right after Jarrett goes into rehab. You'd think you'd wait a bit more than 3 months to jump on that. But I guess WWE just wanted to rub one over the bleeding body of TNA.

Another pretty egregious point is how it's another character in the same year that has a big highlight attached to Chyna getting inducted while she gets the shaft again.

Slyfox696
02-19-2018, 11:46 AM
All these posts and no mention of the fact that Jarrett was just a WWE midcarder whose biggest contribution to the wrestling business seems to be starting a feeder system for the WWE?

klunderbunker
02-19-2018, 11:48 AM
It was kind of a given that Jarrett isn't a Hall of Famer for everything he did in WWE. If you throw in his WCW accomplishments then sure, but ignoring that it's not like the Hall of Fame has exactly had a standard set of criteria.

Барбоса
02-19-2018, 11:55 AM
Can't say that I am all that surprised at a six-time Intercontinental Champion, Euro-continental champion, tag champion, three-time US champion and four-time WCW champion being inducted.

There are plenty of HoFers less worthy than him.

Yaz
02-19-2018, 12:55 PM
Zero dimes!

Spidey
02-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Goes to show a prop and average skill goes a long way.

Weird to me that they'd induct him before Chyna though, who had his number at every turn.

Yaz
02-19-2018, 01:39 PM
Slap Nuts was a classic catchphrase. Couple that with Don't piss me off and you had a winner.

jmt225
02-19-2018, 09:54 PM
"He broke 6,000 guitars and didn't draw a single dime." - Mike Graham.

Gazprom
02-20-2018, 08:14 AM
My girlfriend has this theory that Vince McMahon has always hated Jeff Jarrett. He got given some pretty fucking awful gimmicks over the year - Double J, when he used to come in on a horse, the woman beating. The lengths to which Vince went to bury him on the simulcast of Raw and Nitro was obvious to see. But I think this is probably a foreshadowing of WWE doing some sort of deal for TNA video library, and getting Jarrett onside is probably a big part of that play. I don't know, he was a decent mid card guy, but only really hit the heights in second rate promotions.

With all of that in mind, I think he's going in as a promoter. Whatever you think of TNA, it remains the only promotion that has ever started from scratch and achieved national television ratings that are a noteworthy percentage of Raw. ECW didn't manage that, ROH still hasn't and all the promotions of the 80s never came close. WCW used an existing infrastructure and the investment of a billionaire to achieve what it did, but TNA came from nowhere to make it to number two. For that, Jarrett is probably worthy of a wrestling hall of fame.

Storm Trooper
02-20-2018, 08:36 AM
I think the weirdest part about all this is that it's coming right after Jarrett goes into rehab. You'd think you'd wait a bit more than 3 months to jump on that. But I guess WWE just wanted to rub one over the bleeding body of TNA.
that is the most surprising aspect of this. He hasn't proven himself clean and they're giving him the HOF rub. That being said he's the undercard for this years HOF, so it's not like they're really marketing the HOF ceremony towards him. They waited on Angle because he's the guy they built the HOF class around.

With regards to Vince McMahon mending fences with another talent who burned a bridge, I was surprised that it happened, if only because Jeff Jarrett doesn't draw money. All the other big fences he mended involved guys who drew money and were top guys for the company. In addition, he was able to use the mended fences to make more money.

Another pretty egregious point is how it's another character in the same year that has a big highlight attached to Chyna getting inducted while she gets the shaft again.
The joke you ended with (I don't know if you were going for the joke or not but it's there and is awesome, props to you) is the reason. Not saying I agree with it, and she definitely deserves to go in eventually, but it's the reason and it's not unfair. She'll get in eventually (hell this years class isn't over yet). While it's sad to say it this way, now that she's passed there's no hurry to induct her as she can't accept it.

#AbsoluteUnit
02-20-2018, 10:46 AM
Any other ex-WCW talents left to get inducted? When I first read Double-J was getting inducted, I was shocked. I thought Vince didn't care about him.

Uncle Sam
02-20-2018, 03:51 PM
Glad to see people openly pointing out that the highlight of his extensive career was Chyna kicking the puss out of him.

People have already noted that the shocking thing isn't the mending of the bridge but that Vince saw it as a bridge worth mending.

klunderbunker
02-20-2018, 03:58 PM
Glad to see people openly pointing out that the highlight of his extensive career was Chyna kicking the puss out of him.

People have already noted that the shocking thing isn't the mending of the bridge but that Vince saw it as a bridge worth mending.

I see it more as Vince saying Jeff needs him to be relevant rather than Vince needing anything.

Yaz
02-20-2018, 04:34 PM
I still think this is largely so they can make inroads into the TNA library and since they paid for his rehab, it is a feel good story. They put Hall in and there is a 100% chance that guy will never get clean.

ShinChan
02-20-2018, 11:03 PM
I really need to see what's Jeff Jarrett's best is. Can someone suggest his best matches or promos?

'Ravishing' Ned Flanders
02-20-2018, 11:23 PM
I really need to see what's Jeff Jarrett's best is. Can someone suggest his best matches or promos?
Watching Chyna kick his ass was always fun.

Dagger Dias
02-20-2018, 11:26 PM
Rather surprised by this. I genuinely never thought he would enter the WWE Hall Of Fame. It's not like less deserving people haven't already gone in. I hope it doesn't lead to him working matches.... Worst case scenario if it does, maybe he can put over Elias or something.

Uncle Sam
02-21-2018, 07:42 AM

His good housekeeping match with Chyna at No Mercy 1999, while sprouting from a storyline that would never fly today, is probably the best match of his that I've seen, and I honestly don't mean that as a slight.

Барбоса
02-21-2018, 07:55 AM
His IC title match with HBK at IYH II is good stuff.

smarkmouth
02-21-2018, 09:04 AM
I've always found Jeff Jarrett to be particularly off-putting. While I recognize that's a fairly popular sentiment, there's no denying that Jeff Jarrett is a survivor in the wrestling business. Whenever he came close to the end of his longevity, he found a way to extend it. That alone merits recognition.

That being said, I hope Jeff adopts Jason Jordan.

Yaz
02-21-2018, 12:00 PM
JJ was one of those solid hands who should have never reached the top of the mountain in a big promotion, but still managed to. Granted it took a dying WCW and founding his own promotion to get there, but yeah, the guy just found ways to survive. Calling his finisher The Stroke in the days of WCW political turmoil will always be cool though.

Барбоса
02-21-2018, 12:04 PM
JJ was one of those solid hands who should have never reached the top of the mountain in a big promotion, but still managed to. Granted it took a dying WCW and founding his own promotion to get there, but yeah, the guy just found ways to survive. Calling his finisher The Stroke in the days of WCW political turmoil will always be cool though.

Yeah, he was a middle of the road, dislikable heel that people would like to see beaten that a company could turn to when it needed a start/reset.

noahconstrictor
02-21-2018, 01:24 PM
I actually got to meet Jarrett at a GFW show, and for all the shit he gets, he genuinely talked to each and every fan that came up to talk to him even if they didn't purchase a signed photo or anything, which is a lot more than I can say for some other guys I've seen at small shows. He's never been a favorite of mine by any means, but that moment stuck out to me that even at a small county fair show, he took the time to talk to people that wanted to talk to him.

klunderbunker
02-21-2018, 01:28 PM
I actually got to meet Jarrett at a GFW show, and for all the shit he gets, he genuinely talked to each and every fan that came up to talk to him even if they didn't purchase a signed photo or anything, which is a lot more than I can say for some other guys I've seen at small shows. He's never been a favorite of mine by any means, but that moment stuck out to me that even at a small county fair show, he took the time to talk to people that wanted to talk to him.

I met him at WrestleCon last year. He was on his way to do a podcast so it was a very quick handshake and hello. He looked me right in the eye and I mentioned I was from Lexington, Kentucky, which was a big town for him in the USWA days. He smiled and said there you go before walking on. Very quick, but he came off as someone who actually cared. That's a nice feeling.

noahconstrictor
02-21-2018, 01:31 PM
I met him at WrestleCon last year. He was on his way to do a podcast so it was a very quick handshake and hello. He looked me right in the eye and I mentioned I was from Lexington, Kentucky, which was a big town for him in the USWA days. He smiled and said there you go before walking on. Very quick, but he came off as someone who actually cared. That's a nice feeling.

Exactly. For all the dumb carnie shit that he's pulled, at the end of the day, he always has seemed to genuinely care about his fans and putting on a good wrestling match, which I can't get mad at.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
02-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Hated Double J in the WWF, just cringed at his lame style of wrestling like he was holding back half of his moves. God help us when he jumped off of the top ropes, he looked scared to make contact with anyone. Once he honed his skill more in TNA then he became more watchable IMO.

Echelon
02-22-2018, 07:12 AM
At this point, I'm not really surprised. As it's been mentioned, there are a lot of guys in there that don't have anywhere near the accomplishments that Jarrett has. And even though he wasn't close to being the level of promoter that his father was, he still was an important part of TNA's early history. And now GFW. He's a name that wrestling fans know, for better or worse, and I suppose that's what's important about the HOF now.

TheManTheyCalledNorCal
02-24-2018, 08:47 AM
I see we have all simply slipped into blissful acceptance that this HOF means very little in many instances. Jarrett has done next to nothing deserving of a HOF spot but I suppose any and all events need mid carders, and thats what Jarrett always has been

Slyfox696
02-26-2018, 08:41 AM
I see we have all simply slipped into blissful acceptance that this HOF means very little in many instances. Jarrett has done next to nothing deserving of a HOF spot but I suppose any and all events need mid carders, and thats what Jarrett always has beenAt this point, there's little doubt the HOF is more about what the WWE can sell, than honoring the past. Having Jarrett in the HOF may cause a few more eyeballs to tune in.