PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling Podcasts, Blogs, YouTube, etc.

Phoenix
02-19-2018, 12:28 PM
In addition to many forums, rumour mills and whatnot, we have a section of the IWC that have had creators get over by their reviews, critiques, assessments and parodies of the industry.

Who are some of your favourite go to members of the IWC and what is it they bring to the table that you like?

Phoenix
02-19-2018, 12:38 PM
I'll start with our very KB.

KB's Wrestling Reviews are one of my go-to's when I'm watching Classic PPV's on the Network, but also for catching up with Raw & Smackdown when I don't have time to watch them. I find his opinions are similar to my own, but there are times where our differences occur. He's at least made going through the "Reign of Terror" bearable, especially given he watches those PPVs often, I'm surprised he hasn't gone insane from that. But major kudos to the efforts you do.

I did enjoy the Wrestling Wars Podcast, but I have been bad with listening to podcasts recently, sorry Norc!

Another popular choice is Botchamania. I can't really say much more because everyone on here should have at least seen one episode of Maffew's eagle eyes and ears at work.

A personal favourite of mine recently is Wrestling With Wregret. Brian Zane effectively serves as the Nostalgia Critic of wrestling and does really detailed assessments of the good, the bad and the ugly. His evolution over time has been great and he's covered subjects like the Nexus, WCW's World Title in 2000, the Marine Movies, to name a few. I discovered him by chance and found that to be a good discovery.

Attitude Era Podcast, I can't say much for recent times, due to lack of recent podcast listening, but they're really entertaining and their impersonations are so hilarious! I always enjoy the mini-segments they post on facebook as it really helps illustrate things. I honestly didn't know that DX did two more WCW "Invasions" until they shared a post about it.

Yaz
02-19-2018, 12:52 PM
Botchamania is usually fun. I feel like it has reached this point where it has grown too big, you hear Botchamania chants at shows when guys botch, but it still provides some laughs.

I used to be a fan of What Culture's wrestling stuff, but they kind of dicked that all up. There is a YouTube series I watch from time to time called Wrestlelamia. Most of the videos are in list form, and I'm a sucker for lists, but the content is usually decent enough.

Fallout
02-19-2018, 02:36 PM
NewLegacyInc are hilarious. They're basically a group of people (headed by a guy named Johnny) who play wrestling games and do weird and wonderful stuff with them. They also do a lot of work raising money for charities with their livestream events on Twitch. Their Extreme Warfare Revenge series is hysterical.

There's also Kim Justice, who does more in-depth analysis of wrestling shows from time to time, but mainly sticks to video gaming stuff. When she doesn't get bogged down into politics, she produces some really great stuff, both on wrestling, and on games from the Genesis/PS1 era.

#AbsoluteUnit
02-19-2018, 03:12 PM
I'm a big fan of E&C's podcast of awesomeness, the two have solid chemistry between the two. Stone Cold's podcast is really cool. But at the moment, both of Jim Cornette's podcasts are my favorite. Jim always cracks me up. I haven't really checked out any other podcasts. How is Jericho's podcast? Anyone have an opinion?

Fallout
02-19-2018, 05:26 PM
As far as the wrestling personality does podcast craze goes, Jericho has one of the better ones. Especially his interview with Sandra Toffolini (Nancy Benoit's sister).

Phoenix
02-19-2018, 05:32 PM
I did listen to Austin and Jericho a lot, but as mentioned before, I've not given myself time to podcasts. I would love to listen to them at work, but I barely get two mins before someone interrupts me, which messes up the flow.

Botchamania is usually fun. I feel like it has reached this point where it has grown too big, you hear Botchamania chants at shows when guys botch, but it still provides some laughs.

I used to be a fan of What Culture's wrestling stuff, but they kind of dicked that all up. There is a YouTube series I watch from time to time called Wrestlelamia. Most of the videos are in list form, and I'm a sucker for lists, but the content is usually decent enough.

I did like some of his "Behind the Titantron" videos, but I do find he's making list videos just to have more content out and it's not as fleshed out. I did also find it tedious that he would split his videos into two parts, which is not a bad strategy, but I would listen and then it would be "Oh, flip to side B". Not a bad person, but needs a bit of polish.

Ah yes, What Culture, I remember liking it but then started to hate it because of how tedious they got. This was before WCPW, mass firings and the Blampied incident.

The Bearded One
02-19-2018, 10:49 PM
I'm a big fan of The New Generation Project podcast. They reviewed the WWF New Generation Era -- hence the title -- starting at the King of the Ring 1993 up through WrestleMania 14. The run ended a few months ago, but it was super informative and entertaining.

Yaz
02-20-2018, 06:17 AM
I did listen to Austin and Jericho a lot, but as mentioned before, I've not given myself time to podcasts. I would love to listen to them at work, but I barely get two mins before someone interrupts me, which messes up the flow.

I did like some of his "Behind the Titantron" videos, but I do find he's making list videos just to have more content out and it's not as fleshed out. I did also find it tedious that he would split his videos into two parts, which is not a bad strategy, but I would listen and then it would be "Oh, flip to side B". Not a bad person, but needs a bit of polish.

Ah yes, What Culture, I remember liking it but then started to hate it because of how tedious they got. This was before WCPW, mass firings and the Blampied incident.

Yeah, there are some of the videos that he does some solid lists and provides actual sources and others where he just goes "Here are ten wrestlers who used to have long hair."

Uncle Sam
02-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Wrestling podcasts by actual wrestlers tend to be bogged down by so much advertising and self-promotion that the effort of getting to the meat often isn't worth it. I used to cherry pick episodes of Colt Cabana's because it was a lot more bearable than most.

As far as fan podcasts go, I'll reiterate that I think the Attitude Era Podcast is the absolute gold standard. They actually did all the Attitude Era, and are now doing the Invasion and convincing me that heel Stone Cold Steve Austin was way better than I remember it being at the time.

Барбоса
02-20-2018, 10:05 AM
As far as fan podcasts go, I'll reiterate that I think the Attitude Era Podcast is the absolute gold standard. They actually did all the Attitude Era, and are now doing the Invasion and convincing me that heel Stone Cold Steve Austin was way better than I remember it being at the time.

Off topic, but the more I revisit the Invasion Era, the more I realise that there was some top quality wrestling, stories and character work going on that is completely overshadowed by the dog shit that was the Invasion itself and the use of the likes of DDP.

Uncle Sam
02-20-2018, 10:11 AM
That's essentially what the podcast is revealing as well - e.g. at SummerSlam 2001, on the same show that DDP more or less literally shits his pants, Steve Austin and Kurt Angle have an absolutely phenomenal match.

Барбоса
02-20-2018, 10:18 AM
That's essentially what the podcast is revealing as well - e.g. at SummerSlam 2001, on the same show that DDP more or less literally shits his pants, Steve Austin and Kurt Angle have an absolutely phenomenal match.

The entire Austin/Angle feud was fantastic. As was the somewhat forgotten Y2J/Rock feud.

The Bearded One
02-20-2018, 10:32 AM
Wrestling podcasts by actual wrestlers tend to be bogged down by so much advertising and self-promotion that the effort of getting to the meat often isn't worth it. I used to cherry pick episodes of Colt Cabana's because it was a lot more bearable than most.

I do enjoy the Attitude Era podcast, but Kefin can become a bit much for me sometimes. It feels like he is always trying one-up everyone elseâ??s observations and jokes. Itâ??s still a great listen, and Iâ??m really enjoying the run through the invasion.

Uncle Sam
02-20-2018, 10:38 AM
The show's been a platform for Kefin's otherwise unuseable professional wrestling standup for a while and, at least since they started hoping people might donate five dollars a month, they've begun leaning into it. Case in point: https://twitter.com/aepodcast/status/965998481100951552

supermatto64
02-20-2018, 02:50 PM
As for podcasts, I listen to E&C's Pod of Awesome and the Steve Austin Show.

As for YouTube, I watch Botchamania. I used to watch King Ross's WTF Moments though.

jmt225
02-20-2018, 06:47 PM
I subscribe to a bunch of channels on Youtube that play clips from certain podcasts. It's much more convenient than sitting through a 4 hour show lol.

For instance, I enjoy Jim Cornette's rants, but I'm not about to sit through his podcast. So I'm subscribed to this Youtube channel called "Jim Cornette's Talking Sense" and they upload the 3 or 4 best segments from each episode and if the title interests me, I'll check it out.

"Wrestling Hut" and "Wrestlers Talking Sense" channels do the exact same thing all across the board.

Skairipa
02-20-2018, 08:20 PM
I enjoy watching Cultaholic (the guys from WhatCulture), though I miss Adam Blampied because dude was the best part of WhatCulture. But their PPV predction and reaction videos still entertain and I don't mind their other videos.

I used to keep up with Jericho's podcast but forgot about it for awhile, I've listened to a couple of E & C's podcast episodes and those are pretty entertaining. The episode with Cena was really good and gave good insight into the business.

'Ravishing' Ned Flanders
02-20-2018, 08:26 PM
I usy get most of my info from Cutaholic.

They have funny reaction vids to the PPVs so that's a plus

Skairipa
02-20-2018, 09:19 PM
I usy get most of my info from Cutaholic.

They have funny reaction vids to the PPVs so that's a plus

The punishments are usually entertaining as well. Having to dress like Goldust full time for a month has gotta be rough.

'Ravishing' Ned Flanders
02-20-2018, 09:25 PM
The punishments are usually entertaining as well. Having to dress like Goldust full time for a month has gotta be rough.
Bet Paciti (probably butchered that) got a lot of looks during that month

'Ravishing' Ned Flanders
02-20-2018, 09:51 PM

I love Wrestlelamia's Behind the Titantron series he puts up every once in a while. Great look at some of wrestlings more infamous moments

Gazprom
02-21-2018, 07:53 AM
I don't listen to anything but the Wrestling Wars Podcast. I find most wrestling commentators tend to be neckbeards moaning, and if I want that, I can look in the mirror.

Smally
02-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Only one Iâ??ve listened to before is Gorilla Position, but I go off that quickly.

Think Iâ??m going to check out that new Generation Project, Iâ??ve been watching pretty much everything on the Network in order starting with Starrcade 83 over the past 18 months or so, and Iâ??m about to get to Mania IX so it seems to line up nicely