PDA

View Full Version : It's A Bad Day In Trumpville

klunderbunker
08-21-2018, 09:49 PM
His campaign manager is found guilty of crimes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/manafort-convicted-8-counts-n901231

His ex-lawyer (Or fixer. Why does the President need to have a fixer? That's not normal.) says Trump told him to pay hush money for two affairs. Because the President having two affairs is totally cool and normal.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/ex-trump-lawyer-michael-cohen-discussing-plea-deal-prosecutors-n902571

And another GOP Congressman accused of using campaign money for personal expenses. Oh and he was the second sitting Congressman to endorse Trump. The first was charged a few weeks back.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/rep-duncan-hunter-wife-indicted-alleged-misuse-campaign-funds-n902701

But hey: total witch hunt with nothing to see here but a bunch of people mad that Trump won right?

Jack-Hammer
08-22-2018, 08:20 AM
Michael Cohen isn't someone that Trump can just label a liar or as being a nobody within his organization and expect it to be credible. Cohen was his personal attorney for well over a decade, he knows where the bodies are buried, so to speak. He's not just some flunky that Trump may have said hello to once or twice, he knows stuff about Trump that, quite probably, nobody else does.

As for Paul Manafort, the crimes he was convicted of carry up to 80 years in prison and he still has another tax fraud case coming up in about a month or so and reporters are saying prosecutors have more than three times the documentation for that case than in the one he was just convicted of. A jury couldn't come to a unanimous verdict on 10 of the charges but that's incidental at this point.

When is enough going to be enough? It seems like there's some new scandal with Trump right at the center each week. I have trouble believing that he hasn't genuinely lost some support, some may say otherwise in public, for whatever reason, but I have trouble believing that all of his base can be that stupid. This isn't some conspiracy against Trump, the "fake news" isn't making any of this stuff up, they haven't made anything up as they've just been reporting what's out there. Well, Fox News hasn't but I don't think that really surprises anyone.

navi
08-26-2018, 08:30 PM
Well I'm not a Trump supporter nor a Clinton supporter, not an American here so I look at these and my comments are non biased.

In this case of Manafort, what he's been charged with is a 12 year old crime. Long before he worked for the campaign and long before Trump even thought of running for office. So I really don't see how this can be tied to Trump. He didn't even know the guy at the time. Time will tell if he can bring Trump down in the next trial.

As for Cohen well that's a little more difficult. I think Cohen has an axe to grind. He wanted to come to Washington with Trump, that didn't happen. I'm sure he does know where the bodies are buried but is any of it a crime, we just don't know yet. I also have to wonder about these payments and why these women came forward when they did. It was obviously to get money since Trump was running for President. It that had been Obama the democrats would have called it blackmail. Again all these affairs (which I don't agree with) happened years ago.

It just seems that anything that happens to anyone in the Republican party these days somehow Trump gets the blame for it. The guy is no angel but he also isn't the bad guy in every situation. My fear is that this has changed politics forever in the US. I sincerely hope that every President that comes after Trump will not get the same treatment. If they do then nothing will ever get accomplished, just like it isn't getting accomplished now.

Slyfox696
08-27-2018, 07:44 PM
Well I'm not a Trump supporter nor a Clinton supporter, not an American here so I look at these and my comments are non biased.

In this case of Manafort, what he's been charged with is a 12 year old crime.Never ever listen to Trump. He lied about the 12 year old crime thing.

As just a sample (from the indictment), "Between at least 2006 and 2015, Manafort and Gates acted as unregistered agents of the government of Ukraine...

In order to hide Ukraine payments from United State authorities, from 2006 through at least 2016, Manafort and Gates laundered the money through scores of United States and foreign corporations, patnerships and bank accounts."

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/4163372/Paul-Manafort-Rick-Gates-Indictment.pdf
(https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/4163372/Paul-Manafort-Rick-Gates-Indictment.pdf)
Those two sentences are from the first page of the indictment.

Long before he worked for the campaign and long before Trump even thought of running for office. So I really don't see how this can be tied to Trump.It's easier to see once you see what he was charged with. :)

He didn't even know the guy at the time.Also not true:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/10/a_timeline_of_paul_manafort_s_relationship_with_th e_trump_world.html

It's understandable that some people don't know as much about this situation as others, especially if one is not American. But the fact is you have based the premise of your post around several ideas which just are not true. Perhaps with a better understanding of what is true, you may reconsider your post.

It just seems that anything that happens to anyone in the Republican party these days somehow Trump gets the blame for it. The guy is no angel but he also isn't the bad guy in every situation. My fear is that this has changed politics forever in the US. I sincerely hope that every President that comes after Trump will not get the same treatment. If they do then nothing will ever get accomplished, just like it isn't getting accomplished now.Trump is unlike any President we have had in modern times. He may not be the bad guy in every situation, but he is the cause of every bad situation he is in.

Big Nick Dudley
08-29-2018, 06:55 AM
Yeah, Trump has consistently lied about the details around Manafort and Cohen. Next up: Roger Stone. This should be interesting. Maybe Trump hasn't directly broken any laws, but at the very least, he certainly surrounds himself with some shady people.

klunderbunker
08-29-2018, 07:22 PM
Yeah, Trump has consistently lied about the details around Manafort and Cohen. Next up: Roger Stone. This should be interesting. Maybe Trump hasn't directly broken any laws, but at the very least, he certainly surrounds himself with some shady people.

Drain the swamp. Drain the swamp.

Fire Marshall Bill
08-30-2018, 02:55 PM
he certainly surrounds himself with some shady people.

I believe this to be true about most politicians. Especially once you get to the DC level.

JGlass
08-31-2018, 11:37 AM
I believe this to be true about most politicians. Especially once you get to the DC level.

Yeah, but with Trump it's the rule and not the exception that his partners are dirty as fuck. And not just a little dirty, but hardcore white collar criminals.

klunderbunker
08-31-2018, 02:19 PM
Yeah, but with Trump it's the rule and not the exception that his partners are dirty as fuck. And not just a little dirty, but hardcore white collar criminals.

Indeed. We're to the point where it's more surprising that someone isn't a crook of some kind. That's neither normal nor good in any form.

Fallout
08-31-2018, 06:44 PM
The thing that pisses me off isn't so much that Trump has criminals in his inner circle, but that he's a complete hypocrite.

All politicians play dirty, but wasn't Trump supposed to be a grassroots, organic political phenomenon? So why is he playing by exactly the same standards?

klunderbunker
08-31-2018, 08:28 PM
The thing that pisses me off isn't so much that Trump has criminals in his inner circle, but that he's a complete hypocrite.

All politicians play dirty, but wasn't Trump supposed to be a grassroots, organic political phenomenon? So why is he playing by exactly the same standards?

Because his idiot supporters are never going to call him out for anything and the GOP is too busy bending over for him to dare to stand up against him, because Heaven forbid he tweet about them and promote one of their primary challengers because, again, his idiot supporters would follow him off a cliff. Well, they would walk off a cliff after Trump told them to. Like he'd ever do anything himself.

Fire Marshall Bill
09-05-2018, 12:29 PM
Yeah I still feel like you people are giving politicians too much credit. Just one man’s opinion.

Jack-Hammer
09-05-2018, 12:54 PM
It's still kind of amazing that Trump got elected. Fifty years from now, people will look back on this and think of it as one of the truly great brain farts in the long history of a country that already has so many brain farts that it's hard to picture them all. What's even more amazing is that Trump was elected as a Republican despite the fact that he simply doesn't stand for Republican values, never really has and crapped all over some of them during his campaign. Ten years ago, it would've been inconceivable for a GOP candidate to win the primary, let alone actually be elected POTUS, by minimalizing the service and wartime suffering of someone like John McCain by saying that he didn't believe McCain counted as a war hero because he'd been captured. I mean...you'd have had right wing conservatives holding rallies against Trump where they'd have wanted his head or wanted him in jail along with all of his various flunkies who''ve been implicated in the Mueller investigation. But today...today, the man is not only cheered but you literally have millions of people making excuses for him and actually trying to still somehow blame the division on Obama.

Every single week, it's always something new with our Dumbass-in-Chief when it comes to scandals or him saying something either at a rally or in a Tweet that alienates, marginalizes or flat out insults millions of people. This fucking trainwreck of an administration, the idiocy of its advocates and the lunacy of its voters want to, metaphorically speaking, take us back to the stone age where unless you're a white male proclaiming to be heterosexual and Christian, then you're a second class human being.

JGlass
09-10-2018, 12:05 PM
It's still kind of amazing that Trump got elected. Fifty years from now, people will look back on this and think of it as one of the truly great brain farts in the long history of a country that already has so many brain farts that it's hard to picture them all. What's even more amazing is that Trump was elected as a Republican despite the fact that he simply doesn't stand for Republican values, never really has and crapped all over some of them during his campaign. Ten years ago, it would've been inconceivable for a GOP candidate to win the primary, let alone actually be elected POTUS, by minimalizing the service and wartime suffering of someone like John McCain by saying that he didn't believe McCain counted as a war hero because he'd been captured. I mean...you'd have had right wing conservatives holding rallies against Trump where they'd have wanted his head or wanted him in jail along with all of his various flunkies who''ve been implicated in the Mueller investigation. But today...today, the man is not only cheered but you literally have millions of people making excuses for him and actually trying to still somehow blame the division on Obama.

Every single week, it's always something new with our Dumbass-in-Chief when it comes to scandals or him saying something either at a rally or in a Tweet that alienates, marginalizes or flat out insults millions of people. This fucking trainwreck of an administration, the idiocy of its advocates and the lunacy of its voters want to, metaphorically speaking, take us back to the stone age where unless you're a white male proclaiming to be heterosexual and Christian, then you're a second class human being.

He's selfish, pro-corporations, pro-tax breaks for the rich, and hates Muslims and immigrants. Sounds pretty Republican to me.

Lee
09-11-2018, 12:05 AM
In what fucking world doesn't Trump stand for Republicanism? Maybe if you're going off 19th century Republicanism.

Jack-Hammer
09-11-2018, 03:32 AM
He's selfish, pro-corporations, pro-tax breaks for the rich, and hates Muslims and immigrants. Sounds pretty Republican to me.

That was a mistake on my part. I meant to type that he didn't stand for "some" Republican values, which makes it all the more weird as standard operating procedure is that you follow the party line on pretty much everything. For instance, Trump seems to have no qualms about increasing the deficit and that's always been a major no-no as far as the GOP is concerned. He's also trying to start up another branch of the military, I've heard it referred to as a "space police' program or something along those lines? I have no idea what that's about, but it sounds idiotic right from the start.

But yeah, that was my brain fart. I didn't intend to state that he didn't respresent GOP stances, just that he was an anomaly in some ways. Trump's racist, sexist, completely out of touch with people who live paycheck to paycheck, wants Congress to give him $25 billion taxpayer dollars so he can build his wall but he orders a 2% salary decrease for federal employees with his excuse being that we just "don't have the money" for what was supposed to be a salary increase for them and it just goes on and on.

JGlass
09-11-2018, 09:42 AM
That was a mistake on my part. I meant to type that he didn't stand for "some" Republican values, which makes it all the more weird as standard operating procedure is that you follow the party line on pretty much everything. For instance, Trump seems to have no qualms about increasing the deficit and that's always been a major no-no as far as the GOP is concerned. He's also trying to start up another branch of the military, I've heard it referred to as a "space police' program or something along those lines? I have no idea what that's about, but it sounds idiotic right from the start.

Space force! Yeah not only is it stupid, but it's also technically illegal, though I don't think anyone actually believes it's going to get off the ground.

He definitely has parted ways with many of the values Republicans have held for the past two decades, but the party seems all too willing to let him do it so long as he keeps making their donors happy. I've never been a big fan of Republicans, but their behavior during this presidency has really dialed up my distaste for the whole party.

Big Nick Dudley
09-13-2018, 07:08 AM
People always believe there's a solution to every problem, Trump's Presidency included. Here's the reality - America has a lot of bad people. People who hate diversity and are extremely selfish. It's also loaded with really dumb people who also share those views. Trump represents those people like no other candidate in modern history. Those people are voting Trump in 2020, no matter what he does or says. The more ridiculous he is, the more these people love him. Liberals being visibly distraught by every move he makes isn't changing their minds. Liberals need to work on independents and getting the rest of the gang to actually hit the poles. Stop whining about YOUR favorite candidate not winning. I fear Biden will face a similar blowback because he's "an old white guy."

Slyfox696
09-14-2018, 02:34 PM
So...Paul Manafort has agreed to cooperate with Special Counsel.

There might be a lot of For Sale signs about to be hung in Trumpville...

Spidey
09-25-2018, 01:42 PM
"We need a president who isn't a laughing stock to the entire World."

"Didn't expect that reaction, but that's okay."

klunderbunker
09-25-2018, 02:34 PM
But that was an intentional laugh line.

Me out loud when I heard that: "BULL! S***!"

Slyfox696
09-25-2018, 07:40 PM
Americans laugh at the President, why shouldn't everyone else?