PDA

View Full Version : What are you binging on Netflix?

HBK-aholic
02-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Updating my 'To watch' list. As you can tell from the fact I've spent over 10 years on wrestling forums, I have a lot of spare time on my hands.

What are you watching? What do I need to watch?

JGlass
02-19-2018, 05:25 PM
So as I've mentioned on the Discord, laughing has been physically uncomfortable for me since I got my surgery last Friday and I went pretty much all weekend without seeking out anything that would even possibly make me laugh. If you ever met me, you'd know this is uncharacteristic, as I'm generally very jokey person that is a pretty generous laugh.

So after two humorless days I finally compromised and watched things that aren't necessarily laugh out loud funny, but are in and of themselves charming, light, and irreverent. So today I watched the second episode of Dave Letterman's show, and this time his guest was George Clooney, who was intermittently interesting but certainly an enjoyable personality. I've also been watching Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, and I've really been enjoying that. Jerry Seinfeld does a good job hosting and some of his guests are just absolute riots. Alec Baldwin is a total weirdo, Sarah Jessica Parker is an adorable Jewish girl next door type, and Jimmy Fallon is exactly as upbeat and positive as you'd expect.

Phoenix
02-19-2018, 05:44 PM
Combo of Netflix/Hulu, but The Good Place is one of my top shows. Been slowly going through Star Wars: The Clone Wars, but that's because my wife and I don't spend as much time watching it together as we'd like.

CBS All Access, we got it to do Star Trek: Discovery. The first season is complete, so now is a good time to get their free week and binge that show as there's 16 episodes. I thought it was decent, had some flaws but every Trek show prior has had really bad first seasons, this one was actually a step up. Fans are split on, I liked it, but I also like The Orville too.

Not necessarily Netflix, but we got MoviePass back in late December and we've loved using it. I've used it for 24 movies since getting it and it's reinvented my movie going experience. We've already made the money back on it and we can justify seeing a bad movie, like Downsizing, because we've can see great movies on it too. I've never once gone into Oscar season having seen virtually all the contenders, maybe one at best, this year is the first time I've seen them all. I just used it to see Black Panther twice this weekend and I don't normally see a Marvel film more than once. Having a means to see a new movie for "free" really has been great, especially when all the cinemas here accept it. I don't know how it is for where you live, but definitely something worth considering to add in addition to Netflix.

klunderbunker
02-19-2018, 07:36 PM
We've been looking into that. I'd definitely get it as the $9 or so it is to see a matinee is a bit much.

Yaz
02-20-2018, 06:35 AM
On the Hulu side, we recently started SVU from episode one. My girlfriend was always a big fan of the show and I found that once I actually watched it and didn't just rely on John Mulaney's stand up bit about Ice T's character, it is a pretty good show.

On Netflix we finished The End of the Fucking World recently. It is solid, if a little cringe inducing at times. The episodes are only half an hour and less than ten episodes makes it watchable in a day or two.

Storm Trooper
02-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Not necessarily Netflix, but we got MoviePass back in late December and we've loved using it. I've used it for 24 movies since getting it and it's reinvented my movie going experience. We've already made the money back on it and we can justify seeing a bad movie, like Downsizing, because we've can see great movies on it too. I've never once gone into Oscar season having seen virtually all the contenders, maybe one at best, this year is the first time I've seen them all. I just used it to see Black Panther twice this weekend and I don't normally see a Marvel film more than once. Having a means to see a new movie for "free" really has been great, especially when all the cinemas here accept it. I don't know how it is for where you live, but definitely something worth considering to add in addition to Netflix.

We've been looking into that. I'd definitely get it as the $9 or so it is to see a matinee is a bit much.

Moviepass is literally the best subscription service I have. 10 bucks a month and you can see one movie a day. As full price tickets by me are 14 bucks for one ticket, it pays for itself the first time. Don't get me wrong I'm still spending 20 bucks at the theater to get a beer and popcorn but it's still worth it.

In terms of Netflix, I have a few that I have binged, and this calls for a list.
1. The Crown: This was an excellent show. For me watching Matt Smith play Prince Philip was funny as I think of him as The Doctor every time he's on the screen.
2. All of the Marvel Netflix shows: Iron Fist and Defenders were bleh but the rest were great, and Jessica Jones Season 2 comes out in a few weeks. If you're OK with violence then they're worth it.
3. Voltron: Legendary Defender. I never watched the original but I very much enjoy the new series.
4. Fuller House: I watched the original, and the new show is fun. At the very least it's fun to see the episodes with Danny, Uncle Jesse, Joey, or Becky.

John
02-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Recently finished End of the Fucking World. Not what I was expecting but an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. I felt a lot better after realizing the lead girl is 26 or so in real life, as before that I felt a bit uncomfortable with her acting.

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed Queer Eye. I was not expecting to but it's extremely wholesome and sweet.

This is Us is excellent, though a little over the top sappy at times. If you know nothing about I strongly encourage you to watch it from the start without reading anything beforehand.

Skairipa
02-20-2018, 12:14 PM
I recently finished it, but I was binge watching The Ranch. Pretty enjoyable show and funny too. Other than that I'll probably rewatch The 100 soon before the next season starts as a refresher and because it's my favorite show. Slowly watching Fuller House too, mainly for the bit of nostalgia it brings back.

I need to find a new show to watch on there though, been thinking about watching Sense8, anybody seen it? Not sure if it's worth investing time in.

Барбоса
02-20-2018, 02:10 PM
I haven't been watching anything on Netflix recently.

However, I have been viewing Babylon 5 from the start for the first time. Knee-deep in the Shadow War.

Ty Burna
02-20-2018, 02:15 PM
Wifey's been cruising through The Last Kingdom, so by osmosis I've been watching it off and on with her since the weekend.

I'm part way through the series Altered Carbon, which has been an absolutely fantastic cyberpunk/sci-fi series. The visuals are absolutely gorgeous, not quite on par with Blade Runner 2049 but they certainly put some serious effort into it.

jmt225
02-20-2018, 05:17 PM
I've been too busy trying to catch up on 2017 film to binge watch through any show lately.

But once I knock out the 3-5 films left to see, I'm going to FINALLY start Black Mirror. Heard nothing but great things about it.

JGlass
02-20-2018, 05:26 PM
I've been too busy trying to catch up on 2017 film to binge watch through any show lately.

But once I knock out the 3-5 films left to see, I'm going to FINALLY start Black Mirror. Heard nothing but great things about it.

What have been your cinematic highlights of 2017 thus far?

jmt225
02-20-2018, 05:40 PM
What have been your cinematic highlights of 2017 thus far?

Call me a sap, but I LOVED Wonder. That's probably my favorite film of the year.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and Baby Driver were as great as everyone says it is. Logan Lucky was also really good.

Loved Okja and The Meyerowitz Stories from Netflix. The Jim Carrey/Andy Kaufman doc was also fantastc.

I was becoming sick of Marvel but they really won me back this last year with Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Spider-Man. The Guardians films have become my favorite comic book films ever, and Spider-Man blew me away with how fun it was. I might see Black Panther this weekend, really looking forward to it.

I still need to see Logan, Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, Atomic Blonde, and I, Tonya.

It, Call Me by Your Name, Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, and Mother! all failed to meet expectations for me.

Uncle Sam
02-21-2018, 03:25 AM
I'm severely jealous of MoviePass. We have similar schemes in the UK but I believe the cheapest is £18 a month. I see enough movies to justify it but spend several nights a week on the opposite side of London to where I live and see a mixture of arthouse and blockbuster films that no one chain is likely to carry.

I was on the verge of going to see Call Me By Your Name but then I saw someone compare it to Carol. I can "appreciate" films but I'd sooner enjoy them. Carol was gorgeous but bored me to tears.

JGlass
02-21-2018, 06:33 AM
Call me a sap, but I LOVED Wonder. That's probably my favorite film of the year.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and Baby Driver were as great as everyone says it is. Logan Lucky was also really good.

Loved Okja and The Meyerowitz Stories from Netflix. The Jim Carrey/Andy Kaufman doc was also fantastc.

I was becoming sick of Marvel but they really won me back this last year with Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Spider-Man. The Guardians films have become my favorite comic book films ever, and Spider-Man blew me away with how fun it was. I might see Black Panther this weekend, really looking forward to it.

I still need to see Logan, Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, Atomic Blonde, and I, Tonya.

It, Call Me by Your Name, Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, and Mother! all failed to meet expectations for me.

I can't believe what a great reception Wonder is getting; when I saw the trailer I laughed out loud at how saccharine it looked, but I guess maybe I'm more dead inside than most.

Glad you enjoyed Baby Driver, I LOVED it. I was blown away by the first scene and the movie just kept delivering. That and Ladybird were my two favorite movies of 2017. Not surprised to hear mother! didn't meet your expectations as I thought it was a little less ambitious than previous Aronofsky films, not to mention that he's seemed to transition to an odd biblical obsession lately, but it really stuck with me after seeing it. It was one of those films that you don't feel good about when you leave the theater, but you feel great about when you're talking about it to your friends that also saw it and are jonesing to analyze the shit out of it.

I'm severely jealous of MoviePass. We have similar schemes in the UK but I believe the cheapest is £18 a month. I see enough movies to justify it but spend several nights a week on the opposite side of London to where I live and see a mixture of arthouse and blockbuster films that no one chain is likely to carry.

I was on the verge of going to see Call Me By Your Name but then I saw someone compare it to Carol. I can "appreciate" films but I'd sooner enjoy them. Carol was gorgeous but bored me to tears.

I don't trust MoviePass, things that are too good to be true generally are.

Spidey
02-21-2018, 08:54 AM
I'm a little late to the Stranger Things party. That, Dark, Bojack Horseman, and OITNB are queued up. From what I've seen, they're pretty good.

Uncle Sam
02-21-2018, 09:01 AM
Ooh, Dark is very good. Science fiction that sticks to its own internal rules and has the scope to expand but has the decency to demand a second season on the basis that it's compelling and not on the basis that it might eventually deign to fart out a half-explanation for unanswered questions.

Pro-tip: please watch it in German with subtitles. The twenty seconds I watched of the English dub was... off-putting.

Spidey
02-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Some reason it was already in German when I started watching it. Nice to know I wasn't missing anything with the dub.

Uncle Sam
02-21-2018, 09:37 AM
Having it in German also allowed me to annoy my girlfriend by allowing me to point out every time something wasn't a one to one translation.

I'm a lucky, lucky man.

Yaz
02-21-2018, 12:26 PM
Most of my memory of the German language is naughty words, though it is such an angry language they all sound a bit naughty.

jmt225
02-21-2018, 05:02 PM
I can't believe what a great reception Wonder is getting; when I saw the trailer I laughed out loud at how saccharine it looked, but I guess maybe I'm more dead inside than most.

I didn't see the trailer or commercials for it before seeing it. Just came across the poster, read a one sentence description and decided to give it a shot.

I watched the trailer afterward and it truly doesn't give justice to the film at all. The trailer comes across corny and cliche, but the film is anything but that.

With the way Wonder is crafted, acted, and edited... I was honestly blown away by it. Give it a shot on a gloomy day.

JGlass
02-21-2018, 05:29 PM
I didn't see the trailer or commercials for it before seeing it. Just came across the poster, read a one sentence description and decided to give it a shot.

I watched the trailer afterward and it truly doesn't give justice to the film at all. The trailer comes across corny and cliche, but the film is anything but that.

With the way Wonder is crafted, acted, and edited... I was honestly blown away by it. Give it a shot on a gloomy day.

I can almost guarantee you that I won't watch it, but let it be known that I trust your judgement enough to not assume it was a cheesy by the numbers feel good film, like Simon Birch.

FalKon
02-21-2018, 05:41 PM
I'm currently going through a long list of movies I haven't seen and I'm almost nearing completion of what Netflix AU has on their library. Movies like Green Mile, Godfather, Shawshank Redemption, Good Will Hunting, American History X and Forrest Gump are just some of what I've been watching for the first time ever. Currently, I still have Charlie's Angels, Dawn of the Dead, Braveheart, John Wick and Pearl Harbour on my list to watch for first viewing. There are many more movies I want to watch but a majority of those aren't available on Netflix AU and I'll need to look elsewhere for them. There are a backlog of shows I need to watch as well. Black Mirror, Altered Carbon and The Crown I need to dive into, as well... so this thread is helping me immensely to see everyone else's opinions.

As for recommendations, I'd place Bojack Horseman on the top somewhere. The way that show hits you hard with depression feels all too real. It's a silly world with silly characters but when you begin to dive a little deeper beyond what you can see, they're people with problems most of us would deal with. We perceive others as a stereotype or a character but when you know a person, they're so much more than who you thought them to be. Really gives a new meaning to "skin deep".

I'll also throw my tip of the hat to Outlander, as well. Sometimes, the plot is weird and does a little craziness with how quickly it skips from one arc to another, but the overall show is pretty great. A romance that shouldn't happen during a bloody war-filled part of history. It does not hold back on the gore, violence and sexual nature of the show, and there are times where you will probably look away... but damn, it's a great romantic story.

Yaz
02-21-2018, 09:10 PM
I can almost guarantee you that I won't watch it, but let it be known that I trust your judgement enough to not assume it was a cheesy by the numbers feel good film, like Simon Birch.

I loved that movie as a kid. Mostly because the kids kind of had potty mouths and Simon was a bit of an ass to the townsfolk. I watched it once as an adult and was like, man this is cliche as fuck. I think that movie was my introduction to Oliver Platt. I think he is a bit of a underrated actor. He isn't like, oh man you have to see all his films good, but he has range. I enjoyed Ready to Rumble and Lake Placid more than I probably should, but he has had some good supporting roles in some solid films.

Awesome_Miz
02-21-2018, 09:24 PM
One of the easiest recommendations on Netflix is of course Stranger Things due to the nostalgia acts and quite possibly the best acting ever performed by kids. Also one show I was quite impressed with was The End of The Fucking World. Not that bad, it's quite better than what I thought it would be. Also one fun thing to watch on Netflix just because of the fun of the show and star power is Parks and Recreation. One of the funnier shows that I'm currently enjoying rewatching for a third time around.

Speaking of rewatching an old sitcom series, on the Hulu side I recommend rewatching How I Met Your Mother as almost everything until the finale is pretty awesome. Seriously that ending just kills the show very badly.

Phoenix
02-21-2018, 09:46 PM

Lady Bird was one of my favourite films of the year, great performances, tight editing, really relatable. My wife and I LOVED Atomic Blonde, Charlize Theron was superb in the role and the realistic fighting was a nice change from the norm. We like Phantom Thread but I will be honest and say that while I liked it, I'm not in any rush to see it again. Daniel Day-Lewis' final role is decent, but Oldman's performance as Churchill beats him this year. Really liked I, Tonya, Margot Robbie really puts in a fun performance, as does Sebastian Stan, but Allison Janney KILLS IT as the mother. Totally deserves the praise for her performance as she steals every scene. CGI is a bit off in places, but honestly, it made me look up all the real-life footage of Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan. Logan is the Wolverine solo film they finally got right, Hugh Jackman's last outing as the character was a good send off.

I don't trust MoviePass, things that are too good to be true generally are.

Honestly, I was super hesitant when it first came out, but I had a few friends pick it up and once they fixed some of the bugs, it was great for them. We did the Costco deal and already have exceeded the value in movies we've watched. I don't know how it will do in the coming years, but given 2018 is a big year for films, I think it's worth using to save money.

SSJPhenom
02-22-2018, 04:11 AM
I'm currently watching Dear White People on Netflix. At first I was just interested to see how racist it was or if it had an anti white/pro black message. Surprisingly, it's light on the rhetoric and actually a very good watch. It's funny and insightful. I'm enjoying it.

Dave
02-24-2018, 03:48 AM
Recently finished End of the Fucking World. Not what I was expecting but an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. I felt a lot better after realizing the lead girl is 26 or so in real life, as before that I felt a bit uncomfortable with her acting.

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed Queer Eye. I was not expecting to but it's extremely wholesome and sweet.

This is Us is excellent, though a little over the top sappy at times. If you know nothing about I strongly encourage you to watch it from the start without reading anything beforehand.

The End of the Fucking World was really good actually. It took a lot of convincing my fiance to watch it with me but even she loved it. Its funny, it's sweet but it's dark. All in all, it was a great piece of TV that I would recommend to anyone.

As far as what I'm watching now goes, I just got done watching all of Black Mirror from start to finish again. Might seem like a bandwagon kind of response but it truly is an amazing show. Every episode is terrifically written, directed and acted. Again, watching it the other half is the acid test and even she loves it - coming from someone who not really into sci-fi, that's a big compliment.

Sully
02-24-2018, 08:10 AM
I just finished binging Orange is the New Black. I ignored the hype when it first got big, but it was legit. People said it dropped off after the second season, but I personally enjoyed all five. Specifically seasons 2, 4, and 5 were my favorites. I've got my Grandma binge watching it now.

Before OITNB I was rewatching Weeds, but I stopped in season 4 and I don't think I'm gonna pick that one up again. I've already seen the series so I'm good.

I'm about to start a binge rewatch of Sons of Anarchy, and maybe I'll give that End of the Fucking World show a chance since everyone is hyping it up.

Yaz
02-24-2018, 03:36 PM
Wifey's been cruising through The Last Kingdom, so by osmosis I've been watching it off and on with her since the weekend.

I'm part way through the series Altered Carbon, which has been an absolutely fantastic cyberpunk/sci-fi series. The visuals are absolutely gorgeous, not quite on par with Blade Runner 2049 but they certainly put some serious effort into it.

Altered Carbon peaked my interest, but I'm still a little iffy because of the hype I'm seeing from some people who typically have the exact opposite view I do on movies and shows. From what I gather it is set in the future and gene modification is common place?

Theo
02-25-2018, 03:13 AM
I just finally finished Punisher because I fucking suck at keeping up with TV. I got End of the Fucking World on my queue, same with Everything Sucks. Though I imagine Jessica Jones will end up being my next show to binge.

jmt225
02-25-2018, 05:03 PM

Saw Lady Bird and absolutely loved it. So much so I watched it again the next day, something I rarely do anymore.

Still need to see the rest, but I randomly put on Gantz O on Netflix and thought it was pretty fun. It's way better than the anime, but not quite as good as the live action films. At least there was no stupid hesitation to shoot moments in it. I always fucking hated that.

Undying
02-27-2018, 10:32 AM
There is a plethora of shows as well as movies that need my attention, I have a pretty busy life and it doesn't leave me with many chances to sit down and take in shows. Most of the time it's at bed time and my wife and I will just turn on a rerun of How I Met Your Mother. The shows that I have watched maybe 2 episodes in are:

Game Of Thrones
Stranger Things
Vikings
Orange is the new black

I think the last thing I was able to binge watch on Netflix was Fullmetal Alchemist.

It's Damn Real!
02-27-2018, 12:00 PM
So, Altered Carbon was pretty dope, eh?