PDA

View Full Version : WWE Planning An Event in 100,000 Seat Melbourne Cricket Grounds in 2018

klunderbunker
02-19-2018, 11:17 PM
https://wrestlingrumors.net/rumor-wwe-planning-hold-100000-seat-event-2018/

No word on if this would be a pay per view or a Network Special but that would be a heck of a crowd. From what I can find, the stands alone hold 100,000 people and they could easily squeeze in several more thousands onto the field. That could break the Wrestlemania XXXII record and if we're lucky, WWE won't Starrcade us again and we could actually see the thing.

Yaz
02-20-2018, 06:05 AM
I would image if you wanted to draw a crowd of that size you would have to have a stacked card. I know that not airing Starrcade was a stupid call, but let's not pretend that is was a once in a lifetime card. Outside of Goldust wrestling under his real name, and Arn Anderson showing up, nothing of note happened. To draw 100k you will need a big time card, and even if it plays out like a house show with mostly faces winning and no title changes, I'd still like to watch.

Gazprom
02-20-2018, 08:21 AM
Without a big Australian draw, I'd find it hard to see how they'd sell that out, particularly with a bad card. People are willing to travel for WrestleMania. For something inconsequential like this? Doubt it. Find it very hard to believe that this will happen.

Storm Trooper
02-20-2018, 08:51 AM
To draw a crowd this big they would need to make it either a PPV or a Network Special. I would love them to make it one of the monthly PPVs. Hell if they didn't announce Survivor Series location then do that one there, that'll make it interesting. In fact if they were to it, why not go old school and make the PPV Thanksgiving day (or better yet Friday so as to not compete with Football).

FunKay
02-20-2018, 03:36 PM
I mean it'd make sense to have it be a SummerSlam if they're running the New York/New Jersey area for Mania next year, but they've already announced 2018 will be at the Barclays...

ShinChan
02-20-2018, 11:15 PM
For that huge crowd, it must be one of the Big 4 PPVs. Wrestlemania isn't obviously the one. But Royal Rumble or Survivor Series. Also, could it really sell out? I don't know about Australia. The ODI series had almost 40,000 people at one match. I wonder if WWE could manage to do 100,000.

FalKon
02-21-2018, 01:47 AM
It'd have to be a televised event for it to sell out the 100,000 seats and they shouldn't do any other shows. If they have house shows in Sydney or Brisbane - or even New Zealand for that matter - then they wouldn't have the numbers. As much as us Australians love wrestling and the shows (both WWE and NJPW) do particularly well, I don't know if a house show could fill 100,000 people.

I am hopeful that a live RAW show could do something big and get the numbers. Everyone has been clamouring for something other than a house show for WWE... but I believe a PPV would secure a sell-out audience, especially if it were a Survivor Series or Wrestlemania-type event. With the Australian professional wrestling scene growing and getting more representatives in the WWE, the crowd would be hype to travel across the country to travel to Melbourne. Plus, Melbourne is a great modern hot-spot to host an event like this. Great transport, easy ways to get to the arenas, good food, etc.

I think it's doable but it has to be a big PPV.

A11
02-23-2018, 08:29 PM
The great people of melbourne will show up for the opening of a letter. As long as it is a PPV and not just a raw or god forbid a house show this will do well. I know I'll be there no matter what but geez the views could be absolutely shocking, this is a round stadium that is 160m x 140m

Dave
03-04-2018, 02:47 AM
Seen an update about this today and thought I would pass it on. Apparently, this will be a PPV event and that it will be announced just after WrestleMania this year.

I don't know how successful they will be in filling the arena honestly. They struggled to fill the arena for WrestleMania and break 100,000 people. As I recall, reports had it that they inflated the numbers to break their own record. Who knows, the novelty of the event might do it but I don't see them attracting that sort of crowd outside of the US for a PPV that isn't WrestleMania.

Stone Cold Tea
03-04-2018, 04:37 PM
I read it would be a network special somewhere but if it is a PPV I hope it works out. If they sell out in Australia it would make sense for them to do one of these at Wembley.

A11
03-04-2018, 06:10 PM
I read it would be a network special somewhere but if it is a PPV I hope it works out. If they sell out in Australia it would make sense for them to do one of these at Wembley.

Wembley would work better than the MCG.
1. Bigger population
2. Easier for europeans to get than it would be for Asians to get to Melbourne
3. Better views at wembley

The date and time of this will be interesting. Currently, with australia being on daylight savings, Raw starts at midday and main shows of PPVs start at about 10 or 11 depending on the show. However when that switches it gets ugly and and everything is two hours earlier. If they start this event at 9am or 10am on a sunday or a monday it could be interesting

DNA 2.0
03-08-2018, 11:34 AM
How will they sell it though? This will feel like a midseason Wrestlemania. Plus, they might won't have Lesnar and Taker for this event. And I doubt Rock will wrestle either.

A11
03-12-2018, 04:35 PM
I'm telling you now a bang average card will draw in Melbourne. Triple H, Cena, Styles, Nakamura, Reigns, Rollins, Balor and Buddy Murphy winning the Cruiserweight strap will be enough