PDA

View Full Version : FOX wants WWE Smackdown Live to be less comedy and more sports-like

#AbsoluteUnit
10-18-2018, 07:00 PM
Read it here:

WWE NEWS FOX wants WWE Smackdown Live to be less comedy and more sports-like
ByPaul DavisPublished on October 18, 2018 SHARE TWEET COMMENT

If you are a fan that is frustrated with WWE being too much about comedy and not enough serious wrestling then we got some potentially good news for you.

As reported in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, FOX is going to position Smackdown Live as part of a weekend sports block with the NFL airing on Thursday, WWE on Friday, and the NFL on Sunday. I donĂ¢??t know what they will air on Saturday but I would presume Saturday will include college football games.

Dave Meltzer is reporting that FOX wants Smackdown Live to be less about comedy and they want the show more in a sports direction.

Of course, Vince McMahon loves to include comedic elements into his shows but they will have to adjust to what FOX wants because they are looking at having their sports people on different shows to heavily promote Smackdown Live and the network wants to give them something athletically-oriented to promote.

Smackdown Live will premiere next October on FOX from 8-10 pm and there has been talk of adding a recap/studio show airing on Saturday on sister network Fox Sports 1.

http://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/fox-wants-wwe-smackdown-live-to-be-less-comedy-and-more-sports-like/

Thoughts? I would agree here.

Spidey
10-18-2018, 07:30 PM
Sports direction sounds dull. I watch for the craziness.

Jack-Hammer
10-19-2018, 06:15 AM
Sounds to me like Fox wants SmackDown to be something a bit closer to NXT and that suits me just fine. I'm just not a fan of lame, sports entertainment themed comedy that's done primarily just because Vince thinks it's funny. Every once in a while, some sort of comedy segment will come along that's genuinely funny but that doesn't happen very often. I'm just not at all interested in watching stuff like a 72 year old CEO, his 50 year old son and 40 year old daughter dance in the middle of the ring or other forms of outdated, cornball humor that Vince is a fan of.

I personally like a more serious themed format with more of a focus on storylines that matter, characters that are intriguing and action that keeps me interested. That's what I prefer when it comes to a pro wrestling program and if Fox makes Vince give us that then, for me, I'm all for it.

Slyfox696
10-19-2018, 02:32 PM
I would LOVE for wrestling to move back a little more towards the realistic side. Even if we all know it is scripted, that doesn't mean it can't make real world sense.

a0161613
10-20-2018, 12:36 PM
If this leads to competition like in 2003 on SD then I'm all for it.

Y 2 Jake
10-20-2018, 01:21 PM
Smackdown isn't funny. What show are they watching.

mrluck_07
10-21-2018, 09:22 PM
Smackdown isn't funny. What show are they watching.

Must've mistook it for RAW.