PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Game Franchise

'Ravishing' Ned Flanders
02-20-2018, 05:01 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/iTY9jFqclHo/maxresdefault.jpg

The game play, mechanics and everything about the game is top notch. When i can replay a game 25+ times and not really get bored that's awesome.

My favorite thing though is how they all fit perfectly together. The playable characters from the 1st game are NPCs in the 2nd and the playable characters from the 2nd game are NPCs in Tales. The whole thing was done in a way that makes me believe Gearbox planned everything out from the start and just cut it into installments.

If you've never played stop whatever non important thing your doing now and go play them all. GOTY if possible.

Undying
02-21-2018, 06:02 PM
Mine is Kingdom Hearts. Sure itâ??s gotten pretty ridiculous since itâ??s inception with multiple games across numerous platforms along with a storyline that leaves you scratching your head most of the time but I love it. Iâ??m a huge Disney and Final Fantasy fan so to see a trailer for a game that combined the two blew my mind when I was young. I have played and beaten all the games with number 2 being my favorite.

The fact that they got the original voice actors/actresses for all the characters (or at least most of them) is amazing. Iâ??m hearing Donald talk to Captain Hook among other scenarios. The music with Utada Hikaru delivering greatness every time, the recurring theme of overcoming darkness in your heart and friendship just makes it a wonderful series. Even after over a decade I check the web for updates on Kingdom Hearts 3. Looks like Itâ??s finally nearing with a rumored release date of fall.

#AbsoluteUnit
02-21-2018, 07:28 PM
Milenko has good taste. Borderlands is dope. I'll keep it simple, I really liked the Final Fantasy franchise.

SSJPhenom
02-22-2018, 04:02 AM
My favorite game franchise is, without a doubt, Resident Evil. One of the greatest franchises around. I remember, when I was but 8 years old playing Resident Evil on PlayStation and the dogs jumping through the window in the hallway in the mansion. After that I was hooked. I own all of the main games in the franchise and my absolute favorite in the series is Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. That game gave me nightmares.

Yaz
02-22-2018, 05:13 AM
My favorite game franchise is, without a doubt, Resident Evil. One of the greatest franchises around. I remember, when I was but 8 years old playing Resident Evil on PlayStation and the dogs jumping through the window in the hallway in the mansion. After that I was hooked. I own all of the main games in the franchise and my absolute favorite in the series is Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. That game gave me nightmares.

Resident Evil was a mature rated game, you shouldn't have been playing it at eight years old. Then again, age restrictions never really were your thing.

Fillet Club
02-22-2018, 05:30 AM
Back in the day three of my favorites would be Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill & Resident Evil. Unfortunately I've had to sit by and watch the latter two borderline murdered by Konami, luckily Resident Evil 7 seems to have brought the series back on track (for now).

Has anyone here plucked up the courage to play MGS: Survive? I've just been watching some gameplay and it just looks... fucking awful. Making a game look that ugly in the Fox Engine is amazing.

If I had to pick a current gaming franchise it would probably be the Souls series (including Bloodborne), sure it's like banging your head against a barbed wire covered wall at times... but maybe I'm just a closet masochist?

Storm Trooper
02-22-2018, 05:48 AM
https://lrmonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/super-mario-odyssey-trailer-00.jpg

How nobody said this yet is beyond me, and it goes to show the world we live in:

I mean seriously. He is THE reason we have video games today, and his games and most all-time top 10's would have multiple entries of his games alone (Super Mario Bros. 1, SMB3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64).

Only one other franchise can say anything like that, and it's a close second for me.
http://cdn2us.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeekus/files/2016/06/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild.jpg

A11
02-22-2018, 05:53 AM
Cant go past Assassin's creed for mine. Absolutely turned to shit for a while but AC1 through brotherhood are class and origins has steered the ship back on track, though black flag was also quality

The Batman Arkham games are great too. Wasnt too pleased with the ending but oh well. I loved those games.

Saints Row was good until 3 (which was still good) turned the story to absolute carnage and four sounded so bad I didnt touch it.

Star Wars the force unleashed was a good series too but the second one was a bit ehh but I still enjoyed them greatly

BaconBits
02-22-2018, 08:08 AM
The Gran Turismo series is my jam. I also really dig the Final Fantasy series. I’ve bought every MLB The Show game, so I guess I could toss that in there too.

There are also entire series’ of games that are defunct that I still play the games of that are amongst my favorites. The EA BIG SSX games are hella fun. The Katamari games have also always been amongst my faves.

Awesome_Miz
02-22-2018, 02:29 PM
I'm a little bit surprised by the fact no one has mention this game series yet......

https://fthmb.tqn.com/JhWAfXYYt58rG2qwE4twb18x3Z4=/768x0/filters:no_upscale()/gta-series-56aba0723df78cf772b558ca.jpg

For me it is one of the best game series to ever be have made. I mean there isn't a single person who has never heard of GTA or played it as well. Yeah it might be mostly about naughty stuff, but the way the creators enhanced all the naughty things into the games' storyline is just marvelous. Also the free roaming in the game has always been fun. Just take a look at GTAV and notice how they took it up a notch or two with the online servers. I also love how instead of coming out with a new game in a rapid pace they take their time in order to make the game with as fantastic as possible. It truly is one of the greatest games especially if you want to relax for awhile and pretend to be a crazy mafia man.

And of course who could ever forget the gem of series being GTA San Andreas. Still to this day I play it on occasion just for the sheer joy of relieving some of the simple, but yet joyful stories. Will always be the best in the series as it truly set the bar for the rest of the series to follow up on.

Smally
02-22-2018, 02:32 PM
Final Fantasy for me. Iâ??ve played most of the main series, with IX being my favourite

Sully
02-23-2018, 10:27 AM
GTA is by far my favorite gaming franchise. Rockstar games in general, I get more out of those games than I do any others.

For example, I still routinely play GTA 5 after it came out in 2013. Meanwhile I pay full price for a game like Madden, That has a lifespan of about late August to late January for me before it ends up being shelved till the next one comes out.

I also love other story based games. Games like I'm playing a movie. Uncharted, The Last of Us, Fallout, Far Cry, etc.

I am really hyped for Far Cry 5. I love the setting and the background story. Going to really get into that one.

#AbsoluteUnit
02-23-2018, 10:41 AM
Cant go past Assassin's creed for mine. Absolutely turned to shit for a while but AC1 through brotherhood are class and origins has steered the ship back on track, though black flag was also quality

The Batman Arkham games are great too. Wasnt too pleased with the ending but oh well. I loved those games.

Saints Row was good until 3 (which was still good) turned the story to absolute carnage and four sounded so bad I didnt touch it.

Star Wars the force unleashed was a good series too but the second one was a bit ehh but I still enjoyed them greatly

Personally, Knights of the old republic was my favorite series from Star Wars, but The forced unleashed wasn't bad.

Slyfox696
02-23-2018, 12:50 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c0/05/b5/c005b5e423384c2feff42df9da564490.jpg

For me, my favorite is the Gold Box Dungeon and Dragons games created by TSR back in the 80s and 90s. Even today, I'll still pull out some of those games, create a party and go dungeon crawling.

And yes, I know my choice makes me old.

Yaz
02-23-2018, 01:51 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c0/05/b5/c005b5e423384c2feff42df9da564490.jpg

For me, my favorite is the Gold Box Dungeon and Dragons games created by TSR back in the 80s and 90s. Even today, I'll still pull out some of those games, create a party and go dungeon crawling.

And yes, I know my choice makes me old.

Are those PC? How do they play compared to Baldur's Gate?

Slyfox696
02-23-2018, 11:06 PM
Are those PC? How do they play compared to Baldur's Gate?They are PC, very old PC (I think Pool of Radiance was on NES also).

The game world is the same, though most of those games take place in a different part of the world. If I remember correctly, Gateway and Treasures of the Savage Frontier are the only ones which take place in the same region of the world as Baldur's Gate (unless you include Menzoberranzan, a game based around Drizzt, who primarily roams that area of the world).

As far as how they play, they are much different. Those games are turn based games and the graphics are exactly what you'd expect from a PC game in the late 80s and early 90s. However, the games are INCREDIBLY fun once you get the hang of what you're doing. I still play them from time to time.

Dave
02-24-2018, 03:30 AM
It was mentioned earlier in the thread but Assassin's Creed has really been stellar as of late. So much so that I have a hard time looking past it as my favourite game series.

I've bought every one so far and I haven't been disappointed yet. The latest release, Origins, was probably the best yet. Its very like The Witcher wire regards to the way it handles and plays - not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination.

I tend to agree that it lost its way a little bit but it seems to have steadied the ship. The plot was gappy as fuck after Revelations and Brotherhood but it plays less and less of a part these days as it used. Another reason that it seems to be taking off again. Moving it back to every two years was a good choice too seemingly. Whilst I enjoyed the yearly release, they were buggy and not of great quality.

I'm so glad they have managed to put the series back on the rails with a frame kly brilliant release in Origins.

Sully
02-24-2018, 09:57 AM
It was mentioned earlier in the thread but Assassin's Creed has really been stellar as of late. So much so that I have a hard time looking past it as my favourite game series.

I've bought every one so far and I haven't been disappointed yet. The latest release, Origins, was probably the best yet. Its very like The Witcher wire regards to the way it handles and plays - not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination.

I tend to agree that it lost its way a little bit but it seems to have steadied the ship. The plot was gappy as fuck after Revelations and Brotherhood but it plays less and less of a part these days as it used. Another reason that it seems to be taking off again. Moving it back to every two years was a good choice too seemingly. Whilst I enjoyed the yearly release, they were buggy and not of great quality.

I'm so glad they have managed to put the series back on the rails with a frame kly brilliant release in Origins.

For me personally I only tend to play AC games where I can get into the setting. Black Flag was one of my favorite games of all time, simply because there's no truly good Pirate games and Black Flag nailed it. Still the only good Pirate game out there.

The Egyptian setting does have me slightly interested and I may give it a try down the road but I'm not sure. I would really be interested in a Trojan War/Greek kind of setting.

However I'm predicting the next one to be in Japan and I simply have no interest in that.

Yaz
02-24-2018, 01:23 PM
They are PC, very old PC (I think Pool of Radiance was on NES also).

The game world is the same, though most of those games take place in a different part of the world. If I remember correctly, Gateway and Treasures of the Savage Frontier are the only ones which take place in the same region of the world as Baldur's Gate (unless you include Menzoberranzan, a game based around Drizzt, who primarily roams that area of the world).

As far as how they play, they are much different. Those games are turn based games and the graphics are exactly what you'd expect from a PC game in the late 80s and early 90s. However, the games are INCREDIBLY fun once you get the hang of what you're doing. I still play them from time to time.

I may try to hunt them down. I do enjoy Baldur's Gate, but I prefer turn based strategy to real time, so these may be more to my liking.

Slyfox696
02-24-2018, 02:53 PM
I may try to hunt them down. I do enjoy Baldur's Gate, but I prefer turn based strategy to real time, so these may be more to my liking.
Are you at all familiar with DosBox?

Yaz
02-24-2018, 02:57 PM
Are you at all familiar with DosBox?

Somewhat. I used it a couple years back to emulate some SNES games.

Slyfox696
02-24-2018, 03:24 PM
Somewhat. I used it a couple years back to emulate some SNES games.If you're interested in those games, I can help you get them going.

Yaz
02-24-2018, 03:41 PM
If you're interested in those games, I can help you get them going.

Definitely.