PDA

View Full Version : A Three Hour Blue Brand

Jack-Hammer
03-31-2019, 07:13 AM
According to a report via Uncle Dave, there's talk that Fox may want to have SmackDown air for 3 hours when it makes its debut on Friday, October 4th this year. The idea, according to the report, is that they might air the first two hours from 8 to 10 on Fox and air the final hour on FS1. This is said to be something that Fox executives are talking about and isn't Vince's idea and that while it's by no means a done deal, such an arrangement could net WWE upwards of an additional $50 million per year so that's a definite incentive.

This sounds like a groan worthy situation but I think that depends a lot on the format of SmackDown. We've all read reports alleging that Fox wants SmackDown to be a much more serious, more sports like program and, if true, then that is something to consider. I think everyone is curious to see how such a format change would affect WWE and it might not be a bad thing if the additional time is filled with competitive matches and meaningful segments rather than pointless filler of the "sports entertainment" variety. WWE has hardly ever utilized the additional time of Raw wisely, in my opinion, but this could be a completely different situation as every report I've read says that Fox is going to be much more hands on than NBC Universal has been with WWE programming.

So yeah, take it for what it's worth but if Fox wants this to happen, it'll happen.

Y 2 Jake
03-31-2019, 01:17 PM
No thank you very much.

Slyfox696
03-31-2019, 03:25 PM
There's already enough WWE in the week, to the point where I just don't hardly want to watch any of it.

#AbsoluteUnit
03-31-2019, 03:58 PM
It doesn't matter the length of the show. How about the writers instead write some compelling and interesting story lines to keep people interested.

Edit: story lines = two words. Now I know.

BestSportsEntertainer
03-31-2019, 06:48 PM
WWE simply isn't good enough to keep me interested and watching for 6+ hours a week.

Yaz
04-01-2019, 02:11 AM
It doesn't matter the length of the show. How about the writers instead write some compelling and interesting story lines to keep people interested.

Edit: story lines = two words. Now I know.

If they can do this, the show won't feel three hours.

I'll share an unpopular opinion, I think Smackdown should be three hours. It tends to be the better show, but often times some top guys get left off. Imagine the current landscape of Smackdown, then add an hour of the Usos, Andrade, a re-energized Sanity, some occasional Hardy Boyz, potentially Black and Ricochet. You even have Mandy, Sonya, Naomi, and the potential for NXT call ups. I'm not saying there haven't been stupid filler stories, like the Mandy/Naomi/Jimmy Uso angle, but it seems like more often than not the stories on Smackdown flow better.

The way Raw, and to a lesser extent Smackdown, is set up, you can simply watch highlights and only tune in when you feel like it and not miss much, so I don't honestly mind this potential switch.

Storm Trooper
04-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Why would you want your premier match (the main event) taking place on a lesser network? This idea, as described, is stupid. You'd spend the entire time hyping up the TV audience for a match that will air on another network. The local stations will be disappointed you're telling the audience to change the channel. The Audience will be annoyed with having to change the channel, and having to DVR 2 programs instead of one. Speaking of which how are you gonna do it mid-show? The first time they need to change channel mid-match the TV audience will be furious.

If they want FS1 content after Smackdown, just put 205 Live on FS1 right afterwards. It's the most logical option.

Sufferin' Succotash
04-03-2019, 05:41 AM
A 3 hour show with fewer entertainment parts? Good luck with that.

EnviousDominous
04-03-2019, 09:21 AM
I'm sure that Vince would agree to much more idiotic ideas to reap some of that sweet network money.

October is still a long way away. If Vince goes with this, they'll probably expand the idea to have FS1 air nothing but Smackdown on Fridays. I'm not talking repeats, I'm talking a 24 hour continuous event where fans buy tickets for specific hours of the show. Superfans, like yours truly, will purchase the 24 hour option and drink 5-hour energies until our kidneys solidify if only to see as much of the amazing action that Smackdown is famous for.

BaconBits
04-07-2019, 09:20 AM
If the TV company paying you a billion dollars says you gotta do three hours, you do three hours.

King Patrick Star
04-10-2019, 12:19 AM
What the Fox is everyone talking about!? Smackdown going 3 hours would be great!! It would have to be 7 PM to 10 PM, because of the 10 O'clock News. Regardless, more time equals more Stars equals more more. What does the Fox say!? 180 minutes of Blue. This would really level the playing field between WWE's top 2 brands.

BestSportsEntertainer
04-10-2019, 12:19 PM
Regardless, more time equals more Stars equals more more.

This hasn't been true for Raw.