PDA

View Full Version : Lucha Underground Season 4

Ty Burna
02-21-2018, 09:41 PM
Norcal need not enter here ;).

Tapings are set to begin very soon, and I've seen some news pop up regarding the new season. So let's go through them quick. I'll try to keep the news as spoiler free as possible, but you know what you're getting into coming into this thread. That being said, no taping spoilers please.

1. No longer taping in Boyle Heights - The word is they've moved the tapings to Los Angeles proper, for a variety of reasons. With the reduced budget season four will be working off of, renting the location in Boyle Heights was too costly. This is also going to lead to a new setup for the Temple, if they even call it that anymore. This new location will also provide more seating so there will be more fans in there. I'm hoping they keep a similar aesthetic to the old location, but a bigger crowd is always more welcome. Apparently it is also easier for transporting performers to the taping site compared to Boyle Heights. Speaking of characters...

2. A good amount of characters will show up just to be wrote or killed off - This is due to Lucha Underground changing their contracts and giving talent the opportunity to get out of their deals as long as they show up to have their characters wrote out for one episode. Just as long as Sexy Star gets lost somewhere in the mountains never to be seen again. I'm curious who took this deal, and we could be in for a shake up of talent. I would assume your bigger names like Pentagon Dark, Fenix, Mil Muertes, Matanza, and Johnny Mundo will stick around as they likely are commanding the larger salaries (I would hope anyway). Rey Mysterio's likely gone as he's working in Aro Lucha and potentially returning to WWE either part time or full time. A surprising one may be Catrina, she's mentioned she's unsure of joining LU for another season, and has been busy with modeling and acting. Perhaps she's a one and done character to be wrote off, guess we'll see. Dr. Wagner has already been confirmed to be returning on a more regular basis for this next season.

3. Shorter season - DeJoseph has stated that this season will be in the twenties for number of episodes. This is great news, season three dragged way too long due to El Rey ordering more episodes midway through tapings. It caused them to have to extend storylines (see: The Cueto Cup) to fill that order as they had everything wrote out for the original number of episodes. Keep it brisk, the storylines crisp, and we should be good.

4. New Characters - DeJoseph also stated that there will be new characters entering LU. I'm curious to see who they were able to pick up, perhaps even a legendary luchador or two would be pretty cool to see. Just not a Blue Demon Jr return please.

5. Airing this summer - Not completely confirmed and without an official date. They will be taping the new season in about a month total on the weekends. This would give them about 3-4 months to edit and go through post production which sounds about right. It's been a long break already even just waiting for word if the new season was happening.

So that's about all I got for right now. I have a feeling this may be the final season, and if so hopefully the can wrap everything up in a nice bow, though pending on which characters leave the show may require some change of plans. What storylines do you want to see continue from Season 3, do you have any ideal new wrestlers entering the Temple, and of course how hyped you are we get another season at least of Lucha Underground?

***Please note, I do not want to see spoilers posted in this thread when the tapings begin. Seasons one through three by all means, but it's bad enough I can't look at certain wrestler's wiki pages because spoilers abound there. Don't do the same for this thread.***

A11
02-22-2018, 03:46 AM
Im assuming once an episode airs its fair game to talk about?
Watching people drop like flies could be fun. Getting the feeling mundo will be gone because he's on TNA. This season is make or break for me, last season had no direction and stagnated bad. The quality has dipped each season and a continuation of that trend will see me gone. The above stuff has me optimistic but and with Dario dead there is plenty of directions for the story to move in, Matanza could be a great watch this season

Yaz
02-22-2018, 05:28 AM
I could see it being the final season as well. El Ray isn't a household network and they just don't have the assets to keep funding a wrestling show of LU's nature. Since almost day one there have been a lot of rumors of cancellation and cost cutting measures. They still have a story to tell, but I think that story could be near the conclusion and in a way I'd be okay with that. LU provided a really different experience and I enjoyed a lot more than I disliked. It introduced me to a few new wrestlers who I follow now, like Pentagon, Matanza(Jeff Cobb), and Fenix, showed me that Mundo had improved into a much better worker (and that Del Rio could be interesting), gave some outstanding matches I will never forget, and even gave me some enjoyment from former low level WWE guys like Big Ryck. Hell I even found Striker to be bearable as time went on.

If this is the final season, I will be happy and glad I got to experience this. Overall, I have to say this was a positive experiment into different ways to run a pro wrestling program.

A11
02-22-2018, 05:44 AM
I have every episode bar a couple downloaded (it doesnt air anywhere in Australia) so I'll be able to make a best of set all for my own

Ty Burna
02-22-2018, 08:14 AM
Im assuming once an episode airs its fair game to talk about?
Watching people drop like flies could be fun. Getting the feeling mundo will be gone because he's on TNA. This season is make or break for me, last season had no direction and stagnated bad. The quality has dipped each season and a continuation of that trend will see me gone. The above stuff has me optimistic but and with Dario dead there is plenty of directions for the story to move in, Matanza could be a great watch this season

Yeah once it starts airing we can post in here about the episodes. I just don't want taping spoilers thrown in here the moment they become available as it takes away from the show. As for Mundo, I know he has said he's looking forward to the new season, and TNA hasn't had any issues using LU characters recently like Drago, so I assume it would be the same vice versa.

I could see it being the final season as well. El Ray isn't a household network and they just don't have the assets to keep funding a wrestling show of LU's nature. Since almost day one there have been a lot of rumors of cancellation and cost cutting measures. They still have a story to tell, but I think that story could be near the conclusion and in a way I'd be okay with that. LU provided a really different experience and I enjoyed a lot more than I disliked. It introduced me to a few new wrestlers who I follow now, like Pentagon, Matanza(Jeff Cobb), and Fenix, showed me that Mundo had improved into a much better worker (and that Del Rio could be interesting), gave some outstanding matches I will never forget, and even gave me some enjoyment from former low level WWE guys like Big Ryck. Hell I even found Striker to be bearable as time went on.

If this is the final season, I will be happy and glad I got to experience this. Overall, I have to say this was a positive experiment into different ways to run a pro wrestling program.

I think it showed a new way to present wrestling rather than portray it as a sport. While LU still did do that, they also put a much heavier emphasis on telling a story both inside the ring and outside the ring. Some of the content is off the rails a bit like Aerostar literally being a time traveling luchador from space, but they were able to do some very nice world building and created a mythos that really got a lot of us talking. If it were just another lucha libre show without the theatrics and it's own expanded universe, it wouldn't have lasted any longer than Lucha Libre USA did. So if this is the season the show goes out on it's shield, I hope they have a satisfying ending planned. It just wouldn't seem right to leave it hanging in the wind with no closure.

Yaz
02-22-2018, 09:30 AM
I think that the LU workers who are contracted through AAA can appear on LU and TNA because TNA and AAA have a working agreement. That was one of the issues with Hernandez, his contract was just with LU and wasn’t done through AAA.