PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite/Most Hated Video Game Boss Battle

'Ravishing' Ned Flanders
02-24-2018, 01:59 PM
Bloodwing
https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7225256_f1024.jpg

This is also from Borderlands 2. It's not that hard by any means but knowing the history of this character makes this a difficult Boss fight on an emotional level.

All 4 playable characters in the 1st game are NPCs in the second which includes Mordecai and his bird Bloodwing. If you play as Mordecai in #1 you can have Bloodwing fight enemies which makes this twice as heart wrenchingly difficult.

In this game Bloodwing is birdnapped and experimented on by the main antagonist. Sadly he does something to her that causes her to attack you. I don't want to give to much away in case anyone wants to play. Just believe me when I say it will make you feel the feels.

BNK3R (Bunker)
https://portforward.com/games/walkthroughs/Borderlands-2/Borderlands-2-small-180.jpg

Another honorable mention again from Borderlands 2. This one may not be difficult in an emotional sense but difficult in every other sense of the word.

This twat seems to have hundreds of thousands of HP so it takes a while. He hovers every few minutes of flying around making it a tish difficult to hit him. He also has auto turrets that materializes on his hull as well as mortars, homing rockets and a BFG (thanks Doom). All of which can kill you very quickly if you're not paying attention.

Like all robots he's weakest to corrosive damage so you'd better hope you have a corrosive weapon otherwise this will take a while. And be prepared to die a few times which brings his health back to full, i died twice doing this last night and have almost rage quit in the past. The feeling when you do finally beat him though is awesome so don't give up.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
02-24-2018, 02:15 PM
Every time I see a -Tough Bosses- list, Mike Tyson from Punch Out is usually on it. I'm not sure why, he wasn't that overly hard, especially if you can get by his timing in the first round.

Now compare him to the final boss in Fight Night Champions, THAT motherfucker was hard! In fact, after several attempts, I gave up trying. You have to basically survive 4 rounds to try and draw out his stamina. He's a damn killer and so powerful in his punching that you're chewed up bad by the 4th round anyway and it's game over. I couldn't stand him.

Yaz
02-24-2018, 03:52 PM
The Bloodwing fight was a bit sad. I remember playing through it with my three online friends and we all had to take a second to get dust out of our eyes after the fight.

One of the biggest issues I'm having right now is in the new UFC game. I can't fucking beat Allister Overeem in career mode. The issue is that you start out fighting low overall generated fighters, then slowly work your way to the UFC. Then you keep fighting generated guys until you get to the main card of PPVs. The difficulty change jumps drastically when you stop fighting generated guys and start fighting real life fighters, but it isn't anything super crazy. Then you get to your first main event fight, which for me is Overeem, and the AI becomes fucking psychic. The issue is that he blocks and counters nearly every strike you throw. He is also unrealistically good at take down defense. If you do manage to get him on the ground, he is constantly sweeping and reversing to either get back to his feet or get dominant position on you. He also never loses stamina. My fighter has 100/100 stamina drain from striking (meaning it is perfect) 93/100 on takedown/clinch stamina drain, and 97/100 stamina drain on the ground. But after one round half my stamina bar is gone and his is perfect. I've tried multiple strategies. I've tried jabbing and setting up combos. I've tried throwing nothing but bombs, I've tried the clinch, I've tried ground and pound, I've tried submissions, I've even tried lay and pray just to beat him and he always ends up KOing me with this unblockable body kick. All it takes is one, and my guy crumples like he's been shot, even when I try to block it.

Fallout
02-24-2018, 04:39 PM
I don't consider boss fights that are emotional (such as the aforementioned Bloodwing and Claus from Mother 3) to be bad boss fights, because I think those were intentionally crafted with those things in mind.

Instead, we're looking at a boss that completely fails at being either emotional or even humorous, the final boss from a great game, Revenge of Shinobi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrL1NV7Lkzk

I get it, Revenge Of Shinobi is supposed to be a cheesy and humorous game, but this is your final boss, the guy who kidnaps and tries to murder your girlfriend? Don't you think you could make it a little more interesting than a guy who whips his hair back and forth? While I think Shinobi 3 is an inferior game, at least that had an appropriate final boss, and Shinobi X had an awesome final confrontation with Kazuma. This just felt like a complete farce, and was nowhere near as amusing as fighting the Terminator, Spiderman, Batman and Godzilla earlier in the game. This was a complete disappointment as a final boss both comically and in terms of suspense.

Jeff Deliverer of Mail
02-24-2018, 04:47 PM
The Bloodwing fight was a bit sad. I remember playing through it with my three online friends and we all had to take a second to get dust out of our eyes after the fight.

One of the biggest issues I'm having right now is in the new UFC game. I can't fucking beat Allister Overeem in career mode. The issue is that you start out fighting low overall generated fighters, then slowly work your way to the UFC. Then you keep fighting generated guys until you get to the main card of PPVs. The difficulty change jumps drastically when you stop fighting generated guys and start fighting real life fighters, but it isn't anything super crazy. Then you get to your first main event fight, which for me is Overeem, and the AI becomes fucking psychic. The issue is that he blocks and counters nearly every strike you throw. He is also unrealistically good at take down defense. If you do manage to get him on the ground, he is constantly sweeping and reversing to either get back to his feet or get dominant position on you. He also never loses stamina. My fighter has 100/100 stamina drain from striking (meaning it is perfect) 93/100 on takedown/clinch stamina drain, and 97/100 stamina drain on the ground. But after one round half my stamina bar is gone and his is perfect. I've tried multiple strategies. I've tried jabbing and setting up combos. I've tried throwing nothing but bombs, I've tried the clinch, I've tried ground and pound, I've tried submissions, I've even tried lay and pray just to beat him and he always ends up KOing me with this unblockable body kick. All it takes is one, and my guy crumples like he's been shot, even when I try to block it.

That sounds like a cheap A.I Difficulty tactic. I'd consider moving the difficulty down one peg and see what he's like then. I find the UFC games super, super cheap on higher difficulties so I lower it to make it more even. I haven't played the newer ones yet though.

Yaz
02-24-2018, 06:12 PM
That sounds like a cheap A.I Difficulty tactic. I'd consider moving the difficulty down one peg and see what he's like then. I find the UFC games super, super cheap on higher difficulties so I lower it to make it more even. I haven't played the newer ones yet though.

I know what you mean, so I tried that. I was on normal, bumped it down to easy and he still kicks my ass.

I spent some time looking into the issue and a lot of people have had similar issues with their career mode. No matter the weight class, they all hit a wall in their first main event fight. One of the issues is that you start with a fairly low overall fighter (that isn't the big issue), but unless you focus toward one specific skill, it is impossible to get your fighter to UFC Championship level in any skill. I tried to make my guy well rounded, with a preference toward kick boxing, but even after max training sessions my skills aren't on par with the actual UFC fighters. Some guys were a challenge, like Alexey Oliynk had super high submission and grappling skill so he would just keep trying to take my down and submit me, but he had weak standup so by the third round he was easy picking for the KO. Francis Hgannou knocked me one my ass a couple times, but could never finish me. Overeem is just OP.

SSJPhenom
02-25-2018, 06:16 PM
After replaying Resident Evil 7 on madhouse difficulty, I have to say my least favorite boss fight is the third encounter with Jack Baker. By this point in the game he's already been dispatched twice and here is again. This time, though, you can't just go to town on him. You have to destroy all of the target eyes that are all over his body to defeat him. Not to mention on madhouse, three hits will kill you. It's not that the fight is overly hard, not all. It's just annoying as hell.

A11
02-26-2018, 12:04 AM
Every time I see a -Tough Bosses- list, Mike Tyson from Punch Out is usually on it. I'm not sure why, he wasn't that overly hard, especially if you can get by his timing in the first round.

Now compare him to the final boss in Fight Night Champions, THAT motherfucker was hard! In fact, after several attempts, I gave up trying. You have to basically survive 4 rounds to try and draw out his stamina. He's a damn killer and so powerful in his punching that you're chewed up bad by the 4th round anyway and it's game over. I couldn't stand him.
Yeah but it check points a fair bit. Fuck that is a great game I'm shattered i traded it in now, pretty sure its the first sports game to have a proper story mode and its lead to FIFA and madden now having them too. Cant believe they havent made a new one

Ty Burna
02-27-2018, 07:17 AM
Alma from Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Black.

My god was she difficult. She could dodge most of your attacks while you weren't built up quite yet to sustain the type of damage she could cause. Oh and she was a flying enemy which meant the skills you could use to attack her were greatly limited. In fact, if I remember correctly there was about one move that was even remotely effective against her, and she could still block that attack. In the original game there were no extra fiends you could kill quickly to regain health, you were on your own with whatever elixers you had on hand.

I know a controller was broken over that boss battle and the countless amount of attempts it took to get past her.

Alex
03-07-2018, 05:51 AM
Alma from Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Black.

My god was she difficult. She could dodge most of your attacks while you weren't built up quite yet to sustain the type of damage she could cause. Oh and she was a flying enemy which meant the skills you could use to attack her were greatly limited. In fact, if I remember correctly there was about one move that was even remotely effective against her, and she could still block that attack. In the original game there were no extra fiends you could kill quickly to regain health, you were on your own with whatever elixers you had on hand.

I know a controller was broken over that boss battle and the countless amount of attempts it took to get past her.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ninjagaiden/images/c/c4/Greater_fiend_alma.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091111002323

Fuck. That. Bitch.

I've been playing games for a while and no boss comes to my mind who has been harder or more annoying than Alma from Ninja Gaiden Black. There have been other bosses that have been annoying like the Dahaka from Prince Of Persia: Warrior Within. But once I found the technique it was easy. Alma is just hard. Even when you figure out the technique, to implement it is hard. I don't normally rejoice when I beat a game but I bloody did when I beat her.