Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You can now change your own username

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can now change your own username

I just installed another mod into the forum. This one allows users to change their own username, without having to request an Administrator to do it. Here are the system restricted guidelines (in other words, you can only change your username once you meet these standards):

1. You must have a minimum of 50 posts on the forum. Once you reach 50 posts, this requirement should be satisfied for all future name changes (and, if not, I'll fix it so it is). This is similar to how it was done on WZ.
    2. You can only change your username once every 120 days (~ four months). I know this is longer than on WZ, but since users can do it without requesting, there's less notice that posters are changing their name 7 days. I am, however, VERY open to discussing this limit and changing it if the community desires.
    3. You can change your name an infinite amount of times, so long as conditions 1 and 2 are met.
    4. Your username can be a max length of 25 characters. This is the forum default.

In order to change your username, click "Settings" in the top right corner of your screen. Once in the Settings screen, on the left side of the screen, find "Edit Profile" and click on it. After you click on "Edit Profile", the option to change your username is the second option. Type in exactly what you want (any mistakes are your fault and likely will not be corrected by an Administrator) and then press "Save Changes" at the bottom.

Additionally, if poster's are going to be changing their usernames, it is helpful to know who they once were. To view a user's username history, simply go to the poster's profile by clicking on their name anywhere on the forums. If they have changed their username, there will be a tab on their profile, after "Post Thanks/Lie" which lists their username history. It should keep the last ten usernames of the poster.

Enjoy!

PS: And if you want to discuss the length of time between username changes, do it in this thread. Thanks!

2. Likes Awesome_Miz, Spidey liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Time limit makes sense to me. What was the old one, three months? I think being able to change it yourself is worth the extra month wait.

If I recall from my time on WZ, it sometimes took a couple weeks before requests were done in bulk anyway, as is the same on most other forums. I personally like a singular username and keeping it that way. Those who change it so often make it hard for me to keep track of who they are.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've been convinced to lessen the time between name changes from 120 days to 7. So, there you go.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That's a mighty big fall. From 120 days to 7. I like it though. Thanks again, boss man.

6. Likes Slyfox696 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    That's a mighty big fall. From 120 days to 7. I like it though. Thanks again, boss man.
    I did it for...the community.

Senior Member TheManTheyCalledNorCal's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Time limit makes sense to me. What was the old one, three months? I think being able to change it yourself is worth the extra month wait.

If I recall from my time on WZ, it sometimes took a couple weeks before requests were done in bulk anyway, as is the same on most other forums. I personally like a singular username and keeping it that way. Those who change it so often make it hard for me to keep track of who they are.
    I find it odd people seem to attach so much value to "keeping track " of everyone

What does it matter? A post is a post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWolf View Post
    I find it odd people seem to attach so much value to "keeping track " of everyone

What does it matter? A post is a post
    Well when I see your name and avatar, I think of Norcal.

But you don't talk like Norcal. So I'm curious who you were on WZ.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt225 View Post
    But you don't talk like Norcal. So I'm curious who you were on WZ.
    Well that's odd. I feel like I still talk like me

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWolf View Post
    Well that's odd. I feel like I still talk like me
    Haha... IDK, I would have never thought you'd step away from the Mighty Norcal moniker. That's what confused me I guess.

I was wondering where you were though, so I'm very glad to know this is you and that you're around

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    OH I'm more than around. One might call me a founding father.

13. Likes jmt225 liked this post

Thread Information