Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Raw wrestler about to get a bigger push because of Paul Heyman

  1. #1
    Sponge Daddy
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Laurel, MS
    Posts
    1,754
    Likes (Given)
    7146
    Likes (Received)
    719

    Raw wrestler about to get a bigger push because of Paul Heyman

    https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/ww...ans-influence/

    Ricochet, according to Dave Meltzer.

    ďHeís a guy that can appeal to teenagers. Thatís the goal right now is to make sure those teenagers donít go to AEW before AEW can get on the air."

    Ricochet is very good in the ring, but he needs to work on his promos or get a manager. If he does, he could certainly be one of the top guys on Raw.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    419
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    293
    Rico is the guy to pull back all those lapsed, now pubescent, Bayley fans.

  3. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
  4. #3
    Gotta Brother Named Arm
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,043
    Likes (Given)
    291
    Likes (Received)
    928
    What Ricochet needs to work on is his promo work. He's just about as bland as bland can be on the mic, he was actually getting pretty decent in NXT but he looks to have gone several steps backwards. I dunno if the guy just doesn't have the gift of gab, or at least hasn't developed it all that much, or if he's just someone who has a hard time with the scripted promos. Either way, if he can bring his mic work up, it'll go a long way as the guy is extremely fun in the ring with his freaky level of athleticism.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."


    Conan Of Cimmeria

  5. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    120
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    96
    I am starting to believe, as it relates to his promos, that one of two things has to be true. 1. Kids today are drones with zero talking skills. 2. The most likely reason - heavily scripted promos not only suck, but stunt growth.

    Hopefully Bischoff and Heyman, both critical of heavy scripting, can help a guy like Ricochet.

  7. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
  8. #5
    Administrator Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    570
    Likes (Given)
    48
    Likes (Received)
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Nick Dudley View Post
    I am starting to believe, as it relates to his promos, that one of two things has to be true. 1. Kids today are drones with zero talking skills. 2. The most likely reason - heavily scripted promos not only suck, but stunt growth.

    Hopefully Bischoff and Heyman, both critical of heavy scripting, can help a guy like Ricochet.
    In wrestling, "kids" have always have poor mic skills. Obviously there are a few exceptions here and there, but mic work is just something that comes with time and experience.

    The problem I see here is trying to understand why people believe he will appeal to the teenagers. If it is simply because he's athletic/acrobatic, then I have a strong feeling pushing Ricochet for that reason (improving the business overall) will end in a flop. If there are other reasons, then I'd be willing to entertain them but while Ricochet may end up a main-eventer at some point, if he's only being pushed because of his gymnastics then I do not see the business as a whole significantly improving.

  9. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
  10. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    143
    Likes (Given)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    73
    Wrestling doesn't need to be flippy floppy it needs to be kicky slappy

  11. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
  12. #7
    Senior Member EnviousDominous's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    117
    Likes (Given)
    167
    Likes (Received)
    96
    Ricochet has a lot more going for him than just a constant look of dopey innocence, and flips on par with Will Ospreay.

    Let's face it, we're all a bunch of cynical old farts who long for the drama of a shrieking "NAH UH! I AM THE ONE WHO IS BETTER THAN YOU!" exchange while two wrestlers argue while split-screened. Ricochet would be a little more universally appealing if he didn't just check the boxes for tween fans, but then again I highly doubt any of us cranky spinsters have the energy to get emotionally invested in AEW.

    If Ricochet belted out a promo on par with Steven Austin, that would be great. In the meantime, he's ridiculously good in the ring. The argument "But he flips too much!" is getting really fucking old people, he only really flips sometimes. Fans these days are suckers for the slow-mo replay. Ricochet is able to do spots that you'll miss if you blink, and then we fans are treated to a replay of those spots and it makes us happy.

    We can all seem to agree that Ricochet appeals to teenage fans, which is pretty fucking fabulous considering they'll probably stay fans of his long into their 30s. Most of us would still pop for Bret Hart even though he barely has enough mobility to walk to the ring.

    Ricochet has massive indy cred, which makes him untouchable when it comes to the appeal the live crowds are going to give him. Young fans like to be able to brag that they were fans of Ricochet long before his Prince Puma days, cheering for Ricochet makes them feel cool. Whether or not any of this makes his merchandise worth buying is a matter of if his merchandise looks stupid, so hopefully the WWE asks for his approval before releasing anything that might make him look like a jackass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

  13. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
  14. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    120
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    In wrestling, "kids" have always have poor mic skills. Obviously there are a few exceptions here and there, but mic work is just something that comes with time and experience.
    Very true. But should that experience be centered around memorizing scripts, word for word? Maybe with trained actors, but athletes? Doesn't translate well to the small screen.

  15. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
  16. #9
    Administrator Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    570
    Likes (Given)
    48
    Likes (Received)
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Nick Dudley View Post
    Very true. But should that experience be centered around memorizing scripts, word for word? Maybe with trained actors, but athletes? Doesn't translate well to the small screen.
    Well, the alternative is letting bad actors who are bad at delivering lines go on TV during prime TV and say things which not only will be cringe-worthy in their delivery, but also could undermine the character or the storyline or even say something which could get the WWE into hot water, like Abraham Washington did.

    I am not saying you are wrong in your position, but I am saying I think we can both easily see the drawbacks to the alternative to the WWE position.

  17. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
  18. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    120
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Well, the alternative is letting bad actors who are bad at delivering lines go on TV during prime TV and say things which not only will be cringe-worthy in their delivery, but also could undermine the character or the storyline or even say something which could get the WWE into hot water, like Abraham Washington did.

    I am not saying you are wrong in your position, but I am saying I think we can both easily see the drawbacks to the alternative to the WWE position.
    That's why they have NXT. Let them struggle and coach them up. I feel like they do a great job getting people ready to perform stunts, and that's about it. Maybe that's an extreme stance, but clearly mic skills are a weakness with this generation.

  19. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •