Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music Discussion

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Music Discussion

I'm actually a bit surprised this thread hasn't been started yet. But no matter let's have some musical discussion going as we may learn of some new unknown artist(s).

One of my personal favorite songs that I can't but sing along to is Riptide by Vance Joy. To me personally it has a rhythm to it and it takes me back to my high school days when it came out. Don't know if any of you have heard it before or not, but you should check it out as the lyrics are quite creative.

Talking about creative lyrics one of my favorite singer is Niall Horan. I had listened to him when he was in One Direction and I'll admit it felt like he brought almost nothing to the group. However, now he has shown that he was laying down low and took notes from the producers as he had the most personal input in his solo album and the lyrics are quite good. And he learned how to blend his vocals along with the background guitars or piano. You should listen to his work, so you could listen yourself and be the judge, but he will not disappoint.

So, what are your guys favorite artist, band, writer, etc.? Or also the worst, so we could avoid that artist(s). So, go ahead and discuss away the music world with each other.
    The Day Wrestling Got Too Real

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When it comes to music for me, I'm kind of an old soul. That's because my parents would always play older songs when I was a kid. You'd have my Dad playing old school R&B and the Blues and my Mom would play old school rock, country, etc. As a result of that, I would become fans of artists that actually had talent. I hate listening to artist's records and then to see a performance from that artist and they can't sing, dance, play any instruments or anything. They were just a pretty face that could be marketed. So I never really got behind today's artists. Not saying that they don't have talent but the majority of them just seem to want to be the next meme or viral video or something.

I said that to lead into this: Last year, for my fiancee's birthday, I got her tickets for her favorite artist who was in town, Bruno Mars. Now, I'd have to be living under a rock to not know who Bruno Mars was and living with my fiancee, I was more than familiar with the majority of his music. Still, though, I wasn't a fan. Until we went to that concert that is. That man is talented with a capital T. He sings better live than any other artist I've seen live, he can play just about every instrument in his band, and he can dance. Best concert I've been to since I seen Prince live. So, as far as new music goes, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't listen to Bruno Mars. Especially if you're one that appreciates actual talent and skill.

Senior Member Black Anaconda Vise's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome_Miz View Post
    Talking about creative lyrics one of my favorite singer is Niall Horan. I had listened to him when he was in One Direction and I'll admit it felt like he brought almost nothing to the group. However, now he has shown that he was laying down low and took notes from the producers as he had the most personal input in his solo album and the lyrics are quite good. And he learned how to blend his vocals along with the background guitars or piano. You should listen to his work, so you could listen yourself and be the judge, but he will not disappoint.
    I saw his album on Apple Music when it first came out and was curious so I decided to give it a listen and I thought it was pretty good. On The Loose is a fun poppy song and I also really like Seeing Blind, Paper Houses, and Mirrors. Harryâ??s album isnâ??t half bad either.

I usually just listen to rap right now. Iâ??m studying music education next year and Iâ??m involved in various music activities right now so I play and listen to a lot of orchestral music in class, so I just like to listen to something different in the car since thatâ??s the only time I actually casually listen to music.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I recently got Spotify Premium and its been an eye opening experience. I didn't think I'd ever sign up but I was given a discount by my cousin and she highly recommended it. Thus far, I'm really loving it. The option to download full albums in seconds has been really good for me and saves me clogging up my phone with music files.

I'm going to support my fiends band this Friday and am really looking forward to it. I've been to see them numerous times before but they have their first album coming out soon and, more amazingly, have been selected to play South by South West in a couple of weeks time. For a band from a tiny town in Scotland, that's an amazing accomplishment. If you listen to rock music with a bit of punk thrown in, I'd definitely recommend them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Anaconda Vise View Post
    I saw his album on Apple Music when it first came out and was curious so I decided to give it a listen and I thought it was pretty good. On The Loose is a fun poppy song and I also really like Seeing Blind, Paper Houses, and Mirrors. HarryÃ?â??s album isnÃ?â??t half bad either.

I usually just listen to rap right now. IÃ?â??m studying music education next year and IÃ?â??m involved in various music activities right now so I play and listen to a lot of orchestral music in class, so I just like to listen to something different in the car since thatÃ?â??s the only time I actually casually listen to music.
    Yeah I'll admit Harry's album is pretty good, but why Niall's album won me over was due to Niall being more involved with the album and having a little less writers and producers helping than that of Harry(who in defense needed the help due to being busy filming Dunkirk). No matter what I feel as unlike most boy bands this former boy band will have two top prospects and will be these two as they clearly know their genre and how to perform for today's people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I recently got Spotify Premium and its been an eye opening experience. I didn't think I'd ever sign up but I was given a discount by my cousin and she highly recommended it. Thus far, I'm really loving it. The option to download full albums in seconds has been really good for me and saves me clogging up my phone with music files.

I'm going to support my fiends band this Friday and am really looking forward to it. I've been to see them numerous times before but they have their first album coming out soon and, more amazingly, have been selected to play South by South West in a couple of weeks time. For a band from a tiny town in Scotland, that's an amazing accomplishment. If you listen to rock music with a bit of punk thrown in, I'd definitely recommend them.

Oh man Spotify Premium is one of the best things ever as we could listen to many classics and also find something new in music is pretty amazing. I simply can't live without it.

And I took a listen to your friends band and I will I'm not too heavy into rock-punk music this was actually a good listen. Especially the first song was easily my favorite. Don't know if you put it first for that reason or not, but rather good nonetheless. Hope for the best for them and hopefully they perform quite well in the event.
    The Day Wrestling Got Too Real

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mo-Town is basically my main vibe for music. I was born and grew up in Detroit, so many artists in the Mo-Town era have always stuck with me through the years. I dig early 90's to mid 2000's rap. Anything past that is not a bid deal to me. Big fan of 02-10 Alternative rock, but again, nothing past that. I'm a huge fan of The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC and The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I tend to like older artists or music that's more of an older style.

Rock: AC/DC, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Eric Clapton, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, John Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan

Country: Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Zac Brown Band, Alan Jackson, Chris Stapleton, Hank Williams, Jr., Steve Earle, Randy Travis

Blues: B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughn

There's probably more, but these are the ones I probably listen to the most.

With modern stuff, there's just no real heart or talent to it and everyone tries to sound the same with the same formulaic approach. That's especially true when it comes to country music or, as I sometimes refer to it, redneck pop.
    Last edited by Jack-Hammer; 03-02-2018 at 03:09 PM.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

8. Likes Fallout liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Music has been a huge part of my life, considering my dad is a musician (trombone, bass, piano). He plays mostly jazz and soul but he was always looking out for inspiration in all sorts of music, so the music playing in the house when I was kid was pretty varied. I have stuff from jazz to Celtic folk music and everything in between. Out of the music I do have, though, I’d say the majority of it is heavier rock music and metal these days. The last couple days my commutes have been mostly a rotation of Parkway Drive, Machine Head and Mastodon.

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You know, Classic Rock and the like was considered garbage by the generation that wasn't accustomed to it either. Food for thought.

I love 80s/90s music, even the stuff I know is terrible. Like the majority of you, I grew up around that sound so of course it's a nostalgic feeling when I hear it played. That and lately it's been popular to incorporate said music into shows. Stranger Things and GLOW are obviously meant to look 80s, so there's gonna be 80s music in it (even real people were jamming to 70s and 60s hits too). Money is in the rose tinted glasses.

Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    80s, Classic Rock, 90s, 70's, 60s. Pretty much in that order. I listen to pretty much everything though, rap, pop, ambient sounds to fall asleep at night, instrumental stuff, show tunes, movie themes, even The Duck Song (Played nonstop when my god kid was little) that I've never been able to get out of my head.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

Thread Information