Thread: Conservative Icon Rush Limbaugh Dies At Age 70

Conservative Icon Rush Limbaugh Dies At Age 70

I read a little bit ago that Rush Limbaugh passed away due to complications from lung cancer, according to his wife.

I'm torn here as Rush Limbaugh was a detestable human being who did everything that he could to promote the worst qualities of conservatism and conservative politics. At the same time, he was a human being and it feels wrong to feel good about his passing. I never wished any harm to come to him but I came pretty close to outright hating the man. As long as it was under the umbrella of conservatism, he'd fully endorse it no matter how whacko it might be ranging from partisan politics, endorsing insane conspiracy theories and doing whatever he possibly could to help further divide the country.

The thing is that it's hard to know where Limbaugh the man ended off and Limbaugh the public figure began. Was he really as hardcore as he claimed to be or was it at least something of an exaggeration as it'd made him extremely rich and famous and gave him influence within conservative politics.

At any rate, so long Rush. It's been hell.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Don't know much about him but his thoughts on sexual consent are questionable to say the least.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Guy accused Michael J Fox of playing up his Parkinson's because Fox supported stem cell research. He was a twat.

Not gonna celebrate his death, I feel uncomfortable doing that to anyone, but I can't say I'm that upset.

At least he could make fun of himself.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I came into this thread just to say: "Good".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
    At the same time, he was a human being and it feels wrong to feel good about his passing.
    Do you feel good about Adolf Hitler's passing? If yes, then you've passed the point of feeling "wrong" to feel good about the death of someone and it just becomes at that point where do you draw the line.

I'm not sure where my line is, but I'm glad Rush is no longer alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    Not gonna celebrate his death, I feel uncomfortable doing that to anyone
    Don't. He was a horrible human being.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I came into this thread just to say: "Good".
    Do you feel good about Adolf Hitler's passing? If yes, then you've passed the point of feeling "wrong" to feel good about the death of someone and it just becomes at that point where do you draw the line.
    Had I been alive in WW2, Hitler's death would have been more of a relief in what it signified in ending the war and mass loss of life, not to mention the atrocities committed by the Nazi regime toward innocent people. It would less relishing in his own personal passing, and more that it might represent the end of war and further loss of life.

If a gunman takes a hostage and the only way to save the hostage's life is to kill the gunman, I'd rather the gunman lose his life than the innocent hostage. Ideally none of them do and the situation can be resolved peacefully. That's similar to my philosophy on the death of Hitler.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Rush Limbaugh died. Hmm.

So, Rush was my first demagogue. Before Tucker Carlson, Bill O'Reilly, and sometimes Bill Maher, there was Rush Limbaugh.

The word "demagogue" is a profound one, it's one word that tells an entire story about the person that identifies as one.

I was a young lad of about 11 when I first heard Rush Limbaugh's haughty voice that conveyed a strong sense of annoyance while it playfully mocked ideas that were counter to that of his investors. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing him use ad hominem and wild hyperbole to annihilate the character of his targets.

Then around that same time, in 1993 I believe, Rush managed to snag a 1am time slot on National tv to be one of the first political satirists to deliver their message through a mock-talkshow. His act wasn't original, Wally George had been doing the same thing on a smaller scale. He never had guests, he just sat there and reminded us of why Bill Clinton is the epitome of evil.

I was totally hooked, I mean, it made me feel smart for tuning in. I thought that by witnessing Rush convey his attitude in a manner that took snippets of Bill Clinton's life and delivered a comical reaction on his part, I was relating to smart people about the flawed state of American politics. I had no idea how anything in the political world worked, but I understood that President Clinton was a powerful man who I now felt intellectually superior to.

Rush, like all demagogues, eventually went from luring gullible malcontents like me with seemingly altruistic attitudes regarding hot button issues to giving us the real deal when it comes to his blatant homophobia and racism. I recall being 12, and having a gay best friend (who's still my best friend today, mind you). Representative Barney Frank, who I believe was America's only open homosexual serving in Congress, was the focus of Rush on one "very special" episode of The Rush Limbaugh Show. There was no humor, there were no jokes, there was only the dead serious tone of Rush and his studio audience. The entire episode was snippets of Representative Frank arguing in the House of Representatives on behalf of his identity as a gay man. Rush would react to each clip wide-eyed, with a look of horror that was silently echoed by his studio audience. I recall Representative Frank asking another Representative "Because I live in my house with my same-sex partner, that offends you. Why?" and Rush -- with a mortified look -- pleaded with his audience to help him understand how such madness could exist in this world.

I was unaware of his "AIDS talk" segment from his radio show, and this was before some of his most famous controversies.

Rush was a hate-monger, but he was the absolute worst kind. He would feed you ideas, for which you'd be foolish to disagree with, and then dump his bullshit on you when he had you.

I cannot think of a single thing that he's ever done to balance his karma. He's donated to charity, sure, but you forfeit any right to call that a "selfless" act when it's used as leverage to forgive someone for alienating entire groups of proud American citizens because you're a racist, homophobic, piece of shit.

If it were up to me, I'd bury him with full Satanic rights so his soul will just be a big neon sign saying "FRESH MEAT" while he's making the most of an eternity in Hell while dragging around a 200lb Medal of Freedom that's permanently attached to his neck. My thoughts go out to his friends and family, mainly they're thoughts of wondering how those useless mongrels can sleep at night knowing that they willingly accepted an abomination like Rush Limbaugh as a loved one.

The world is a better place now that that bottom feeding botched abortion is no longer with us, and I am very thankful to know that he fought a losing battle against an enemy that likely caused him a fraction of the pain and suffering that he forced onto the people that he blindly hated.
    Last edited by EnviousDominous; 02-24-2021 at 08:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

Thread Information