Thread: Stranger Things 3

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stranger Things 3

Thoughts? Spoilers welcome.

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For a show that loves and celebrates horror film tropes, subverting the expectation of "popular guy falls for weirdo girl" trope into a straight/queer friendship was masterful. Maya Hawke as Robin was a very welcome addition to the cast, and her story along with Steve, Dustin and Erica was what kept my invested throughout while other stories ebbed and flowed in quality.

If Netflix didn't just HAVE to end everything with a cliffhanger this would have been a solid end to the show. Not sure how much more this story has to offer without treading water.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I enjoyed it. It remains one of the best shows on Netflix. I really enjoyed how the dynamics in the core group changed. The kids are growing up, getting girlfriends, etc. My favorite group in the show was Dustin, Robin, Steve, and Erica. The quips, jokes, etc between them was amazing to watch and really made the show fun and funny. Also, when Dustin and Suzie sung their song to one another over the radio, I just about passed out from laughter. I continue to really enjoy Eleven's growth as a character. You can clearly see how she's grown from season 1 till now. I liked how everyone in the group had grown up a little and stopped caring so much about D&D and what not except for Will because that always seems to be the case in real life friendship groups. There's always that one who still clings on to childhood. I didn't much care for the big bad this season. Also, it was never explained why the Russians were trying to get into the Upside Down. It's just that they were. So that seemed kinda convoluted.

Overall I thought it was another very good season of a very good show. It didn't over stay it's welcome and it left me wanting more. I'm already anticipating the next season.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Finale spoiler below:
    Click for Spoiler:

This is probably one of my favourite season finales of any show ever, definitely one of my favourite episodes of TV.

Let's talk about Billy, Billy is a cunt. A racist cunt. We saw that through season 2 but season 3 gave us his martha moment. In true Billy style though his way of saving Eleven and saying "sorry" was perfect. Max's reaction adding to it.

Will's bye to the kids as he's crying just was something that worked well. Then Hopper's letter over the top had me crying like a bitch. This was amazing character development for everyone and it summed it up nicely but then there's THE SCENE.

Dustin a loveable loser in Season 1 gets confidence in 2 through Nancy and 3 he has a girl! That scene when the code doesn't work as the meltdown from everyone happens "I can try Suzie" a roll of the eyes from everyone then you see "Salt Lake City, Utah" and just shout yes! In 3 minutes you get Suzie's entire character but me the song works by everyone elses reaction. I was expecting people to join in singing ala Umbrella Academy/Tiffany. When Joyce turns to face the wall and bangs her head is perfect. She's had to put up with her sons weird friends for years and this was the perfect "I know he'll help but goddammit Dustin". Honestly a great scene.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    True story: I have never watched the show. I fully acknowledge I would probably like it, but have never seen it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It makes me want to rewatch all my favourite 80s movies, I'll give it that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Totally worth the time. Just have fun with it. Deep analysis isn't necessary.

Banned

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    only watch trailer, but looks not bad

I turned into a huge Eleven mark, which means that as long as she survives and is happy then I'm satisfied with the show.

I liked the introduction of a Russian conspiracy, in that those of us who grew up in the 80s were able to see first hand how much the US and Russia hated each other.

I never got into the Billy character. I think that they had bigger plans for him, and then he just became a patsy for the big evil of the show. The revelations into Billy's childhood weren't that interesting.

Hopper won the whole series with that letter. I admit that I kind of rushed the three seasons in that I didn't get started on the show until Season 3 was released, so up until that scene I was kind of just ho-humming through the show when Eleven wasn't on. That scene grabbed me by the throat. It was an absolutely brilliant send-off for such a major character.

I've been reading the rumors that the cliff-hangar was deliberately vague because the show-runners haven't decided if Hopper would miraculously survive, or if real Billy who was trapped in the nega-verse was captured by the Russians. Honestly, I'm hoping that it's either and that perhaps it's another numbered test subject.

Any-who, that show as really fun. Season 1 had Dungeons and Dragons, Season 2 had all the arcade games that used to steal all my money, and Season 3 had an eyesore of a mall that was really a front for a Russian invasion.

Season 4 is going to have to exploit some kind of fun trope from the late 80s, so what if..... they give us professional wrestling?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

Thread Information