Thread: SummerSlam 2019: Roman Reigns VS. ?

SummerSlam 2019: Roman Reigns VS. ?

On SmackDown Live last night, Roman Reigns was going to name his opponent for SummerSlam. With only a few minutes left in the program, Reigns was walking backstage ready to give his interview when a bunch of equipment fell/was pushed over onto him. Reigns sold being visibly shaken after being pulled out from under the wreckage and we're left to wonder who the opponent is, who'll almost certainly be named as the person who perpetrated the attack.

First off, I dig when WWE does little things like this and little things like this haven't happened very much for a really long time. Purposely setting this up to happen within the last 2 minutes or so of the show immediately garners some spark of interest because it's natural to wonder who pushed the stuff over and the show ended on something of a cliffhanger.

As to who the person is, there's a lot of speculation, rumors, etc. going around that it'll be revealed to be Buddy Murphy. Could Murphy's name be dropped to throw people off so that it'll be revealed to be someone like Samoa Joe or Braun Strowman? Absolutely it's possible, there's probably a better than average chance of that being exactly the case. I wouldn't mind seeing Reigns' feud with Strowman rekindled as it was highly entertaining and it might lead to WWE getting back on track with the Monster Among Men, who's booking has been somewhat erratic and outright strange in some situations over the course of the past year. As much as I'm a fan of Samoa Joe, I've no interest in seeing his program with Reigns go on because....well there's no need for it. They had a match on last week's Raw, Reigns won handily by pinning Joe in the middle of the ring and there's just nowhere else to go.

If it's Buddy Murphy, first thing's first, there's a 99.9999% probability that Roman Reigns wins, might as well just get that out of the way. What this is, however, is an opportunity for Murphy to have a standout performance against one of THE top tier names on the WWE roster. Letting these younger guys loaded with potential and in-ring talent come off like stars while wrestling against actual top stars, even in a losing effort, is another of those little things WWE hasn't really done in a long while and needs to do more often. Give the kid 15 minutes, have him leave it all in the ring and show fans what he's made of.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

2. Likes mrluck_07, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    SummerSlam's final card is, reportedly, very fluid and may not be finalized. There's talk that Reigns may not have a match on the card but that, if he does, it won't be against Daniel Bryan. One of the things that's likely to happen, at least according to what's been reported, is that Reigns might wind up going through Buddy Murphy, then Rowan and then take on Bryan as WWE wants to use additional time to build up the story with Bryan ultimately being the mastermind behind Reigns' attacks or that he'll have actually been the one who carried them out.

I'm all for prolonging this story as it has a lot of potential to be interesting. Bryan is said to have a good deal of creative influence over his storylines, it's actually in his contract if I'm not mistaken, and he's been putting that control to good use with an interesting character. There's no need to rush through this as there's a possibility of getting some mileage out of the story and it'll be nice not having a PPV just crammed full of matches just for the sake of having more and more content.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd like to see a match with Buddy Murphy. He can look strong in defeat, and the match with Bryan can get a longer build.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I haven't been following lately, but what the hell happened to Finn Balor? How did he end up going from one of the next big acts to getting squashed by Bray Wyatt?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elky View Post
    I haven't been following lately, but what the hell happened to Finn Balor? How did he end up going from one of the next big acts to getting squashed by Bray Wyatt?
    He hasn't really been a big deal since his injury. Mostly a mid-carder.

Also they wanted Wyatt to look strong under his new character, and Balor is taking time off.

Thread Information