Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Wednesday Night Wars

The Wednesday Night Wars

Uncle Dave has a juicy piece of "news" floating around for us. According to Meltzer, WWE will begin airing NXT on FS1 on Wednesday nights between 8 and 10 pm est to run head to head with AEW on TNT. According to the report, WWE and Fox finalized this deal sometime in late June or early July WWE hasn't officially announced anything but, according to Meltzer, WWE has been planning to move NXT to FS1 for a while now and, to be fair, there's been quite a bit of chatter about it off and on over the course of this year. It also hasn't been announced when NXT would begin airing and whether or not if would take air at Full Sale University.

The working idea is that NXT will air each week as a live two-hour show. The internal feeling is that a taped show will not work up against AEW, which will air live each week also. WWE officials feel like they have a strong edge over AEW, that being the endless supply of main roster Superstars that they can put on the NXT show whenever they want to. WWE also has another strong advantage and that's being able to promote the show on RAW and SmackDown, as well as other Fox programming. The report states that NXT being frequently plugged on Fox and USA, along with WWE being the more recognized and biggest brand compared to AEW, is something that WWE officials will offset the fact that AEW will air on TNT, which is a more well known and higher rated channel than FS1.

As far as a ratings war goes, I think AEW has a better shot of going toe to toe with NXT rather than Raw or SmackDown. Neither FS1 or TNT have a lot of hit shows, I think TNT only has one show currently drawing over a million viewers each week, and NXT is something more akin to AEW than Raw or SmackDown is.

If this turns out to be accurate, which is probably will be, then I admit that I fear for NXT as this could definitely mean Vince will be taking a much more active role in NXT, especially if NXT isn't blowing AEW out of the water or, worse for them, is losing to AEW in the ratings.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I hate the thought of Vince turning his gaze on to NXT and frigging it up with Main Roster guys just to boost ratings. AEW is a zero threat to WWE, why they feel the need to step on their neck right away is flabbergasting.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    "Let's ruin the best thing about our company!"

I hate everything about this.

5. Likes #AbsoluteUnit, Jack-Hammer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sounds like an outstanding idea!
    Rhea, Bianca, Mandy, Tiffany, and Raquel featuring Scarlett

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    #RicSolarFlair you're kb
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    RHEA'S ON NXT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #RSF'S WATCHING NXT TOMORROW!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Deliverer of Mail View Post
    I hate the thought of Vince turning his gaze on to NXT and frigging it up with Main Roster guys just to boost ratings. AEW is a zero threat to WWE, why they feel the need to step on their neck right away is flabbergasting.
    It's just how Vince's mind works. Remember how Cena was squashed by Lesnar and Vince supposedly got all paranoid and afraid that fans would "stop believing" in Cena? His answer was to have Cena single handedly decimate the Wyatt Family as a means of somehow negating Lesnar's dominance over him. Vince's response to any perceived threat, even if it's only in his own mind, is massive overreaction to such a degree that it comes off as panic or desperation when there's absolutely no need for him to be panicked.

I may be wrong, but I can't recall reading anything suggesting that Vince feels competition is good for WWE. I mean, it's the standard answer that's given by WWE wrestlers when they're asked about AEW during interviews, it's the standard answer Triple H and Stephanie give during media interviews but I don't recall Vince saying it. Vince, in my opinion, doesn't want any remotely perceived competition in any way, shape or form; I believe he's fine with other wrestling companies existing so long as they know their "place", which is not being put into a position that results in growth in terms of TV viewership, live attendance and general revenue all around that gets within a billion miles of anything WWE does.

IF Vince decides to bigfoot NXT and winds up ruining it, then it may be my personal death nail for WWE as it's consistently been the best thing WWE related this decade in my eyes.

Conan Of Cimmeria

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'll give it a chance, tho it already sounds like there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

10. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The only reason I still watch NxT is because Vince has nothing to do with it. If that changes then so does me watching it.

I really hope someone tells Vince that this would be a horrible idea. I also really hope the senile old fuck actually listens.

12. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I doubt AEW cares. No one outside of the most hardcore fan cares about NXT. AEW needs one megastar (....CM Punk) and they should dominate Wednesday. Won't be hard with NXT on FSfucking1.

14. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Everyone's chief fear seems to be Vince's fingerprints winding up all over the brand. If NXT does go live and expands to two hours, Vince's involvement is going to have an impact on it and probably not for the best.

If they ultimately keep Vince away from it and keep what made NXT strong in the first place, which includes long term storylines that are generally simple and entertaining, building up of new talent, strong in-ring action, not rushing things and not having a PPV every month, then NXT could be significant competition for AEW. IF part of the plan is for NXT to sometimes use well established stars from the main roster sometimes and utilize them with the hallmarks that've made NXT great, then being a viable competitor for AEW only goes up.

If NXT is heading to TV, then it doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon as, from what I've read, NXT's current taping schedule is still on track. My guess is that WWE is going to stake out AEW, get a gander at what they do on TV for the last few months of 2019, strategize and have NXT debut on FS1 sometime early next year.

Conan Of Cimmeria

16. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post
    PWInsider is reporting that NXT might be airing on the USA Network as early as October 2, which is the same night AEW premieres on TNT, to officially kick off the Wednesday Night Wars. PWInsider reports that the show will still be a 2 hour live event airing each Wednesday from Full Sail University.

It's looking more and more like NXT will indeed be heading for regular TV. However, if it winds up on USA from Full Sail each week, I think the show could be come stagnant in the same way we saw with TNA's shows airing from the Impact Zone.

Conan Of Cimmeria

18. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information