Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spiderman Leaving The MCU?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spiderman Leaving The MCU?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49417812

So apparently Sony and Disney can't come to an agreement regarding Spiderman. Sony wants to keep the deal they've already got (5% to Disney, the rest to Sony) Disney want a 50/50 split. And they can't come to an agreement.

Sucks for the fans I guess but it seems (from what I read) Sony paid for most of the budget for Homecoming and Far From Home and distributed both so I can see why they wouldn't want to give Disney a bigger piece of the pie. But also if it wasn't Disney putting Spidey in the MCU he probably wouldn't be making as much bank as he is. Then again Into The Spiderverse was a Sony only production and that also made lots of money so I can see why Sony reckon they can do it alone.

It's all very convoluted and the angry fans on Twitter going on about #BoycottSony just make me roll my eyes but I get why.

Anyway what do you guys think?

Check Out The Optional Sidequest Podcast. (Please)

You can see both sides of it but I think Spider-Man being part of the MCU would've been all but guaranteed continued success. Spider-Man: Homecoming was the 2nd reboot of the character and it's connection to the MCU is a huge factor in getting fans and critics excited about Spider-Man movies again. The Amazing Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man 2 made a lot of money but the movies just weren't nearly as good as the first trilogy in the eyes of both fans and critics. Before the MCU involvement, Spider-Man was floundering.

To be honest, I'm kinda over Spider-Man. Not that these latest movies haven't been really good and I think Tom Holland's been great in the role, but Spider-Man as a character, is so massively overexposed that he's on a similar level as Superman and Batman. Plus, the MCU has all kinds of potentially interesting and fresh stuff going on with the Blade reboot, the Shang-Chi film, Black Widow, the Eternals and a few other things going around.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    All i can say is RIP live action Spider-Man.

Sony's track record when it comes to Spidey is fucking awful so i'm not gonna hold my breath that whatever they do is good

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49417812

So apparently Sony and Disney can't come to an agreement regarding Spiderman. Sony wants to keep the deal they've already got (5% to Disney, the rest to Sony) Disney want a 50/50 split. And they can't come to an agreement.

Sucks for the fans I guess but it seems (from what I read) Sony paid for most of the budget for Homecoming and Far From Home and distributed both so I can see why they wouldn't want to give Disney a bigger piece of the pie. But also if it wasn't Disney putting Spidey in the MCU he probably wouldn't be making as much bank as he is. Then again Into The Spiderverse was a Sony only production and that also made lots of money so I can see why Sony reckon they can do it alone.

It's all very convoluted and the angry fans on Twitter going on about #BoycottSony just make me roll my eyes but I get why.

Anyway what do you guys think?
    It's a sad situation for fans of the multi verse but I aren't overly fussed myself. I'd argue that it was Sony that made it possible for the MCU with their early 2000s release of Spiderman. He made superheroes cool again and I reckon he would have been fine without been integrated into the MCU.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
    You can see both sides of it but I think Spider-Man being part of the MCU would've been all but guaranteed continued success. Spider-Man: Homecoming was the 2nd reboot of the character and it's connection to the MCU is a huge factor in getting fans and critics excited about Spider-Man movies again. The Amazing Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man 2 made a lot of money but the movies just weren't nearly as good as the first trilogy in the eyes of both fans and critics. Before the MCU involvement, Spider-Man was floundering.

To be honest, I'm kinda over Spider-Man. Not that these latest movies haven't been really good and I think Tom Holland's been great in the role, but Spider-Man as a character, is so massively overexposed that he's on a similar level as Superman and Batman. Plus, the MCU has all kinds of potentially interesting and fresh stuff going on with the Blade reboot, the Shang-Chi film, Black Widow, the Eternals and a few other things going around.
    Spiderman is popular enough on his own that he'll be successful regardless, but the MCU connection does lend credibility. However the MCU movies have become so formulaic in a way that having a different set of people on a project might shake it up a bit. Because a lot of them have the same story beats, just in space, a different continent or a different time period.

But I'm also burnt out on comic book movies in general so I don't care that much. If they did the Clone Saga I might be interested though haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Milenko View Post
    All i can say is RIP live action Spider-Man.

Sony's track record when it comes to Spidey is fucking awful so i'm not gonna hold my breath that whatever they do is good
    Making Spiderman and comic book movies cool in the early 2000s?
    Winning an Oscar with Into The Spider-Verse?
    One of the best games to come out in recent memory

Yeah fucking awful.
    I get people love the MCU. But Disney are becoming overly cocky. Especially since acquiring Fox. They reckon they can do what they want and get away with it. A lot of people don't realise Disney/Marvel get all the merchandising money for Spiderman which is a lot. So for them to want more of the film money which is the only thing Sony gets from Spiderman is trying to have their cake and eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold Tea View Post
    It's a sad situation for fans of the multi verse but I aren't overly fussed myself. I'd argue that it was Sony that made it possible for the MCU with their early 2000s release of Spiderman. He made superheroes cool again and I reckon he would have been fine without been integrated into the MCU.
    He does have the strongest line up of villains for a Marvel character to be honest. So he's far more likely to survive as a stand-alone character.

Check Out The Optional Sidequest Podcast. (Please)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You can debate money all you want. Iâ??m more interested on how theyâ??ll address his past in the upcoming movie. If they cut ties entirely, can they even bring up Stark, Avengers, etc? Iâ??m not sure if completely avoiding it or dancing around it forcefully would be worse.

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Long as they move on from Uncle Ben I think they'll be fine.

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Give us Spider Man 4 with Raimi back at the helm as originally intended!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sony doesn't need Disney anymore. Holland is the draw now, with a ton of help from Disney.

Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Give us a Quentin Tarantino version of Spiderman.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

Thread Information