Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vince McMahon planning on making Roman Reigns the greatest superstar of all time

Senior Member TheManTheyCalledNorCal's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vince McMahon planning on making Roman Reigns the greatest superstar of all time

Various sources are reporting that Vince has plans on having Reigns break the record held by Hulk Hogan and Triple H of 7 straight Wrestlemanias main evented.

Presumably because he is DA BIG DAWG

DISCUSS

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm not surprised by the Reigns stuff as WWE is ALL about breaking the old records these days, but neither of those guys ever main evented seven straight Wrestlemanias. Hogan did five straight and HHH did three.

Senior Member TheManTheyCalledNorCal's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
    I'm not surprised by the Reigns stuff as WWE is ALL about breaking the old records these days, but neither of those guys ever main evented seven straight Wrestlemanias. Hogan did five straight and HHH did three.
    Must have been total main events. No need to issue a warrant for my arrest.

And funny enough you were the first person I thought of when I saw this. I seem to recall you saying "HOW many years in a row is this going to have to happen"

ARE YOU GLAD YOU ASKED NOW ARE YOU

SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Why?

He's not bad but every 'Mania main event he's been a part of (aside from Rollins cashing in) has been lackluster and forgettable.

It's possible that over the next 3 years that could change but I won't be holding my breath as that's rsther unlikely.

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWolf View Post
    Must have been total main events. No need to issue a warrant for my arrest.

And funny enough you were the first person I thought of when I saw this. I seem to recall you saying "HOW many years in a row is this going to have to happen"

ARE YOU GLAD YOU ASKED NOW ARE YOU
    "Welcome to the Wrestling Wars Podcast. I'm your host the Mighty NorCal AND I'M NOT READY TO TALK TO MY CO-HOST YET BECAUSE THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!"

It's a gift. And Hogan main evented eight Wrestlemanias. HHH did main event seven though.

Now to avoid the infra....to make this a better post, I could see this going a lot longer. I don't know what it is about Reigns, but WWE is more obsessed with making him the biggest star ever than anyone I've ever seen. It's going to take a long time for the fans to cheer him, but I'm sure WWE won't seem to mind.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's weird, it was the old school way of doing things (people would often be given a date they'd win and lose the belt) and they pushed but modern wise you need to be organic. Turn Reigns heel if people aren't liking him. Fans will get very sick of him long term as we've seen with Cena.

Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It'll be a awhile before he can touch the global success of Hulkamania. That was pre internet folks....pre internet.

Meh, it'll take more than just having him "main event" WrestleMania for a number of years in a row before he's the greatest superstar of all time. A "main event" at WrestleMania has changed a lot compared to 20+ years ago; hell, it's changed a lot compared to just 7 or 8 years ago.

Now, there are generally anywhere from 3 to 4 matches that are "main event" matches at the big show, depending on how you look at it and the label given to hit by commentators. For this year, we've got Lesnar vs. Reigns II, Kurt Angle & Ronda Rousey vs. Triple H & Stephanie McMahon, AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, plus whatever they wind up doing with matches for John Cena and/or Shane McMahon. Even though it's likely Lesnar vs. Reigns will close the show, thus being in the traditional "main event" spot, it's not quite the same as in the prime days of Hogan or Triple H, or even Cena for that matter.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's so strange.

Someone with a better grasp of wrestling history is going to have to answer a question for me. Has the WWE ever had to work this hard and for this long to try and make someone a star? It seems to me like the WWE audience are totally against and it will continue to be. But the WWE could tines to laugh in their face for one reason or another and continues with the plan.

What's more, they are having him smash arbitrary records that don't mean anything to anyone but the WWE. So what if he does 8 main events? It won't make any better and won't make the WWE any more right in trying to push him to the moon.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't care as long as Reigns is delivering worthy ME caliber matches at Wrestlemania, which he has only done once so far out of the 3 times he's headlined (vs. Lesnar).

That said, Hogan will forever be the greatest no matter if Reigns headlines 20 Wrestlemanias in a row. Nobody will ever be as big of a name as he made himself in the business.

Thread Information