Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rey Mysterio Possibly Returning as Cena's Wrestlemania Opponent

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I read that Cena requested to work with either Samoa Joe or Rey Mysterio, given the buzz the later created at the Rumble, when it was determined that the Undertaker won't be at Wrestlemania.

Here are the problems with Cena's opponents.
    a) Joe will most likely be unable to compete.
    b) Rey hasn't signed yet.
    c) Undertaker won't be wrestling.

So yeah, Cena might really not be going to Wrestlemania..

If the Rey plan falls apart.. who will Cena face!!??

Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Rey Mysterio looked to be in fantastic shape at The Royal Rumble and his movements were as fluid as the last time I watched him in a WWE ring. Problem is...its Rey Mysterio. He's not really a big enough star to generate any hype around IMO. Once the Mysterio newness wears off, watch how quiet the fans will become once they've seen his routine more than once. He's a pattern wrestler and a ton of his matches look damn near identical to one another, he rarely changes it up. He gets stale as cardboard after seeing him wrestle more than once. He falls into the same category as RVD did near the end of his WWE run, pattern pattern pattern, never deviate even the slightest. It was like watching the same match over and over again.

I don't hate Mysterio. I just hate him.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Interestingly enough, Dave Meltzer has 'confirmed' that Mysterio wasn't backstage at Smackdown last night. Not that I don't believe that Mysterio will sign with the WWE. Just an interesting note that it may not be as signed, sealed and delivered as we all seem to think it is.
    Yeah, I'm not sure I buy that. Meltzer's been very miss heavy of late with regards to rumours (Strowman versus Miz and Cena versus Undertaker both spring to mind at the moment). That and there's this photo from Mysterio's Instagram saying he was hanging out at a SmackDown house show in San Diego over the weekend, so any negotiations were probably done there.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would not mind Mysterio coming back in the same kind of 'free agency' as John Cena.

That would allow him to have matches with Rollins and Balor on RAW; Itami or the Cruiserweight champ on 205; Styles and Sami on Smackdown and Almas on NXT.

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was going to share this in the thread regarding Rey's possible injury, but my point fits a little better in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
    IF Taker really isn't working and Mysterio can't work, then don't be surprised if they wind up shoehorning John Cena into the WWE Championship match at WrestleMania. Everyone wants Styles vs. Nakamura 1 on 1, but you know that WWE isn't gonna just leave John Cena, of all people, out in the cold at WrestleMania wiout being in one of the top matches. If push comes to shove, I'd rather they shoehorned him into the United States Championship picture. Cena did great things as US champ and for the title itself and it'd keep the integrity of being the Royal Rumble winner in tact.
    My immediate thought when I read the headline was also WWE Championship implications, and yeah, I'm also hoping that he's as far away from the match as possible. The US title would be a nice fit. I think they could easily paint Cena as the greatest US Champion of the modern era, which will pair nicely against Orton wanting the only title he's never had and Bobby Roode's quest to follow in both of their footsteps.

I dunno, this poor happenstance makes me further observe how laboured Cena's angle going into WrestleMania is. There's likely going to be a battle royal full of people who "don't have a Road to WrestleMania". Cena's lack of a road to WrestleMania has more of a road than anyone who's going to be in that match. In fact, his omission of acknowledging the Andre the Giant Battle Royal is kind of a disservice to the match, no? I don't think it would be too hard to make the ATGBR a bigger deal and put a little more creative effort into building it by having Cena involved. Hell, there's your angle! A whole bunch of younger talent completely disenchanted by Cena's whining about not having a match when everyone in the battle royal is just happy to have a spot in the battle royal. Take someone like Mojo or Apollo and call Cena out to meet them in the ATGBR.

Thread Information