Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rey Mysterio Possibly Returning as Cena's Wrestlemania Opponent

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rey Mysterio Possibly Returning as Cena's Wrestlemania Opponent

https://wrestlingrumors.net/rumor-ne...ania-opponent/

Well that's certainly different and something I'd be very pleased with seeing. Mysterio certainly is a legend in WWE and he's more than capable of having with Cena in the epic match atmosphere. I'd rather see something pretty fresh and potential awesome over Cena vs. a broken down Undertaker.

Any other takers?

2. Likes Wildcat66 liked this post
    If given a choice, yeah, I'd prever Mysterio vs. Cena to Taker vs. Cena. As mentioned, it's fresh and there's all sorts of potential for a strong match there.

I love Undertaker, always have even from the earliest days when it was all about character, because most of his matches sucked, and I enjoy seeing him on those rare occasions. However, as far as being able to work a passable match, Taker's had it. I think he should've retired after Lesnar ended the streak, he was in bad shape for that match in the first place and he's only continued to go downhill. I'm of the opinion that when a wrestler gets to a point where age, the accumulation of injury due to the wear & tear of the business or both make it embarrassing to watch said wrestler try to wrestle, it's time to hang it up and it's past that time for Taker.

Some wrestlers have aged or are aging like fine wine such as Chris Jericho, Christopher Daniels, AJ Styles, John Cena and Shawn Michaels. Taker, due in large part to putting off taking time off to recover from injuries and needed surgeries to repair some of those injuries, has aged like milk once he his hit late 40s especially.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

4. Likes smarkmouth, Wildcat66 liked this post
    Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd be very interested in the match itself, but I'm a little let down that they even bothered to tease Cena vs Taker if THIS is the payoff. I wish they hadn't bothered, because I now have to admit that I'm wrongfully sour going into the match. It's a better match, but I feel.. I dunno. Something's missing.

I type all this, but if anyone proves me wrong, it's two of the GOATs. It very well could be remembered as something special. But then again, so could Cena vs Taker, for different reasons.

Mixed feelings, if that wasn't clear.

6. Likes FunKay, Yaz liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have to say, much like the above post, the fact they'd tease Taker/Cena and then switch it for what would be inevitably a better match, but less significant and intriguing/interesting match. Mysterio/Cena feels like an exhibition - Taker/Cena feels like something that somehow has been built up over the past few years as the last great dream match.

Having said that, I don't want Taker to come out of retirement and once again drag himself to a subpar match only to retire again immediately afterward. We'd be approaching Terry Funk territory at that point

8. Likes Yaz liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    While I don't think Undertaker will ever be slumming it in a deathmatch in from of 150 people in at VFW, Funk makes a point I have been arguing for a while now. For years, nothing the Undertaker has done has mattered because he has an average at best, poor at worse match and goes away for a few months until his next match that won't matter is ready to build. You can make the argument that 21-1 should have been the end, you can argue the Streak should have never ended, you can make all the arguments you want but Roman beating Undertaker, and giving us that final moment at last year's Wrestlemania was a fitting end. Don't ruin it by having him come back for a match of no consequence, Cena already has enough of those.

Furthermore, I can't stand this, John Cena has no road to Wrestlemania angle. The whole John Cena is a failure without a Wrestlemania match story is stupid. Everyone knows that John Cena will be at Wrestlemania, and in a high profile match. Even if you kayfabe the entire thing, WWE lists 106 in ring performers on their roster. That includes men and women, those currently inactive due to injury, it also includes Paige (who WWE has yet to officially declare her done) and Ronda (Who has yet to have a match). It does not include Triple H, Shane McMahon, Kurt Angle, or any other part time employee (minus Brock Lesnar). Of those 106 wrestlers, only 5 have a 100% guaranteed in kayfabe match at Wrestlemania. Brock as Universal Champ, Roman as the EC winner, Shinsuke as RR winner, Asuka as RR winner, and Ronda as per her contract. Yeah, Miz and Alexa are going to defend their titles there, but in kayfabe they could lose them on Raw before then. Charlotte, Bobby Roode, and AJ Styles all have a title defense scheduled before Wrestlemania, and The Usos and Bar may not even make the show because you know how WWE is with tag teams and Wrestlemania. So for the sake of argument, let's say Miz and Alexa will have no more title defenses before Wrestlemania (though it would violate that whole 30 day rule) so that puts us at 7. 7 of 106, that is 6.6%, so 93.4% of the roster that are failures according to the story, because they have no Wrestlemania match set. Keeping with kayfabe, Cena could enter the ARMBAR. There seem to be no requirements to enter, other than being on Raw or Smackdown. Even then Killian Dain, Hideo Itami, and Tian Bing have all represented NXT. DDP and Tatanka have made unpromoted appearances as legends, and even Shaq showed up one year, so it seems the requirements to enter are few and surely John effing Cena could find a way in.
    Last edited by Yaz; 02-28-2018 at 02:51 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have to admit, I still hold a little hope in my heart that The Undertaker will return and be better than ever. I hate that his final match in the WWE was that shit show against Roman Reigns. Then again, he could come back and have an even worse match with Cena. When you start to chase good performances to make amends for the last performance, that's when you are in trouble.

For that reason, I'm still undecided about whether I want a match between Taker and Cena. It's happened top late for both of them but I'd still like to see it as a spectacle.

That said, a new opponent would definitely have a better match and I wouldn't have to be watching another Taker match through my fingers. Is Rey Mysterio the answer? I'm not so sure but I'm positive that they would have a better match than Cena and Taker would.

The real issue the WWE would have is making people care. What qualm does Cena and Mysterio have with each other? If this is just a match between two guys, should we really care? The stakes need to be high but I can't see that happening. I have nothing against it being Mysterio but I think there are other options out there that would make more sense. Strowman would be an ideal candidate.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You'll find nobody who wants to see the Undertaker vs Cena more than I do. I'll watch anything featuring 'Taker and be as invested in it as I've ever been. I owe my love of wrestling to 'Taker. His character got me into wrestling. I'll never say no to an Undertaker match.

Having said that, unless the 'rumors' are true (which is that 'Taker had a hip replacement after last year's horrible showing, has since recovered, and has gotten back into decent shape) then I don't want to see this match. 'Taker never had a reputation as one of the ones that can flat out go, but when relied upon he could easily give the best match/moments of the night and I don't want to see him ruin that perception of himself. One thing I've always regretted for some of the biggest names in wrestling is that they went WAY past their sell by dates. I don't want to see 'Taker out there looking like an older Hogan or Flair. Barely able to move and just looking sad. I'd much rather prefer Cena vs Mysterio because I know that match has the potential to be one of the absolute best matches of the night. Cena vs 'Taker I don't know if that match would even be watchable, let alone good.

So yeah, let's go with Mysterio vs Cena. I won't be as invested, however, I won't have to watch my favorite wrestler of all time embarrass himself either. 'Taker is better than that and deserves better than that. Hopefully, those in charge would have the respect to tell him that much. To tell him that unless he looks good that he can't do the match.
    Last edited by SSJPhenom; 02-28-2018 at 03:42 AM.

12. Likes Wildcat66, Jack-Hammer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Odd that you are so pro Undertaker given his advanced age.

14. Likes BaconBits, Lee liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A semi-forgotten classic: The Undertaker vs. Rey Mysterio at the 2010 Royal Rumble. Just one to add to your watchlists.

There's something I struggle to articulate but that I dislike about WrestleMania being the end rather than the means to the end, i.e. instead of "I want your title and so I'm going to take it from you at WrestleMania" it's "I want to be at WrestleMania so I'll do my best to qualify for a title match."

The prospect of a rested/roided up Rey Mysterio back in a WWE ring is tantalising to me, to the point that I promise not to be cross when he kicks out of three consecutive AAs. Although this particular rumour does seem like something of an arse pull.
    Last edited by Uncle Sam; 02-28-2018 at 04:31 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
    A semi-forgotten classic: The Undertaker vs. Rey Mysterio at the 2010 Royal Rumble. Just one to add to your watchlists.
    Wasn't that the one where Mysterio busted 'Taker's nose with the 619? I mean, that match was good but IDK that I'd call it classic. It was definitely a sight to see 'Taker against Mysterio though.

Thread Information