Thread: The three big problems with the "Roman Reigns attacker" storyline

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The three big problems with the "Roman Reigns attacker" storyline

Around 3 months ago at the end of Smackdown, Roman Reigns was about to announce his SummerSlam opponent. Suddenly someone we don't see pushes some equipment on top of him, but fortunately Reigns escapes unharmed. The following week on Raw, Reigns is the victim of a hit-and-run. Again he's relatively unharmed, but it became very obvious - someone was trying to kill Reigns.

Over the next few weeks, Samoa Joe and Buddy Murphy are suspected but ruled out. Reigns turns his attention to Daniel Bryan and Erick Rowan and reveals video footage incriminating Rowan. Bryan explains it's simply a man that resembles Rowan, but Reigns uncovers more video footage that shows it actually was Rowan. Bryan and Rowan split up, and Reigns vs Rowan is scheduled for Clash of Champions.

Rowan defeats Reigns with the help of his former tag team partner and a returning Luke Harper. They reunite, and Bryan and Reigns team up and defeat them at Hell in a Cell. A couple of weeks later, Rowan and Harper are drafted to separate shows, and that's it.

...wait what? That's it? The attacker actually was Rowan, and then the feud ends in a tag team match? There's three big problems.

1 - Rowan doesn't have "it" - I hope Rowan proves me wrong, but he's just a decent mid-carder and tag team wrestler. There's nothing wrong with that of course as wrestling needs people like that, but that certainly doesn't mean he should've been chosen to be Reigns attacker. It should've been a big star or NXT callup or a returning wrestler or... anyone. Just not Rowan, who simply isn't exciting and doesn't have the most potential.

2 - Bryan's face turn was very anti-climatic - Heel wrestler becomes face after his heel friend turns on him is something we've seen far too many times in wrestling. It's fine every now and then, but Bryan had one of the greatest heel runs of this era just a few months ago. His face turn should've been much more elaborate.

3 - The ending match was just there - After the first night of the story, I was expecting a personal, intense, and violent final match. Someone was literally trying to kill Reigns. If that doesn't require a violent gimmick match, then what does? Well apparently it doesn't because it never happened. Instead it's a tag team match that was quite good but never hit that next level.

What do you think of this story?

Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Like quite a few storylines of the past, this one just had an ending that resembles an emoji holding his forehead in the palm of his hand. I admit, I'm a sucker for wrestling mysteries, I liked to be surprised and parts of this story had me intrigued.....then they wasted that with a Rowan old man clone that made zero sense at all. IMO the whole angle wasn't a bad idea on paper but it was executed poorly. I mean you had Luke Harper but saved him for a PPV surprise when he should have been the guy under the blanket for a beat down to end a show. Ect ect ect.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

3. Likes mrluck_07, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Thread Information