Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crown Jewel

One positive to come out of this is Wyatt winning the Universal Championship. With that said, I really, really, really hope they don't do this sort of horror movie crap with all of his matches going forward because the formula just doesn't work as a whole. There's ssssssoooooooo much to like about the Fiend and Wyatt does such a great job, but this sort of set up with the lighting and the horror stuff during the matches can really bring the whole thing down.

I'm also hoping that WWE doesn't just have Wyatt drop the title back to Rollins in some quickie run that only winds up pissing people off and leaving them even more disenchanted. Of course, I guess that'd mean that Wyatt will be heading back to Raw while Lesnar stays on the blue brand.

From an overall standpoint, this wasn't a bad show, believe it or not, and easily the best of the Saudi shows. The special attraction matches were the usual pecker slaps in the face from Vince as he prefers style and pomp over depth. I mean, what can you expect when your special attraction matches each features someone who's getting paid upteen million dollars yet who can't wrestle. As far as I'm concerned, Velasquez can just go away and there's no point in furthering a program with Fury and Strowman. It really does continue to piss me off to know end that WWE has all this amazing talent on its roster but it constantly defers to using crap like 2 minute matches for Brock Lesnar and constantly going back to putting championships around his waist while he wrestles a grand total of maybe 7 to 10 times a year.

Probably the best match on the card was Mansoor vs. Cesaro as far as the live crowd goes. Of course, that's to be expected since WWE strolled out their token Saudi Arabian wrestler that they only seem to break out specifically for these Saudi shows. Do they keep him in some little room or shed somewhere the rest of the time?

The tag team turmoil match was pretty good and it's nice to see Gallows & Anderson go over here as they genuinely needed it. Gallows & Anderson haven't always been used well in WWE and while I still think they're pretty overrated rather than the gods they were hyped by so many New Japan marks, they're still a good team who bring a good deal to the table.

The US title match was a fun bout with the expected ending. There wasn't much fan reaction, there was some but I'm wondering if it had to do with the placement of the match or if they just weren't digging it. Either explanation is logical as Humberto Carillo, while a talented and young in-ring guy, is essentially a voiceless face at this point. The kid needs to learn to cut a promo, needs a mouthpiece or something otherwise he'll just languish in mid-card limbo.

The 10 man tag team match came off to me like little more than a love letter from WWE to Roman Reigns as they went out of their way to make him look like a mix of Superman and Zeus or something. It wasn't a bad match or anything, it just suffered from the other problems that plague these Saudi shows as most fans outside of Saudi Arabia just don't really care, nor are they really given much of a reason to.

The women's match featuring Natalya and Lacey Evans was what I figured it'd be. There were some young girls in the audience in the front row who were inspired by this whole thing and, in all seriousness, that's was pretty cool. It's true that we, those of us who post in here who're Americans, take our freedoms and rights for granted, what seems like a very minor thing to us can actually mean a great deal to others so seeing the genuine emotion on those young ladies' faces was something to see. I'm not saying it'll lead to anything or change the world or anything but no matter how you feel, WWE did accomplish a bit of something here today that a year ago nobody thought possible.

All in all, this show wasn't a failure as it had a lot of genuinely good things going on. I'm going with a C+, which surprised the hell out of me as I expected this to just suck big ol' sweaty balls. The tag team turmoil, 10 man tag, US title, Mansoor vs. Cesaro and Universal Championship matches were all either solid to really good and delivered some overall good outcomes. Bray Wyatt is now Universal Champion, so now we can only hope Vince doesn't just fornicate the poor guy to death with piss poor booking decisions. The women's match wasn't a classic or anyting, but it was a little bit of a moment in time in a part of the world where women are, frankly, often little more than factories for producing children.
    Last edited by Jack-Hammer; 10-31-2019 at 03:11 PM.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Am I the only one who thinks The Fiend gimmick is laughably bad?

The Firefly Fun House stuff is pretty good, but the mask and pantaloons make him look like a Create a Wrestler I'd make when I was 10 years old.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Thread Information