Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royal Rumble: Royal Rumble Match

Royal Rumble: Royal Rumble Match

On last night's episode of Raw, they revealed 8 of the 30 participants in the match: Roman Reigns, Ricochet, Rey Mysterio, AJ Styles, Randy Orton, Erick Rowan, Drew McIntyre and the WWE Champion himself, Brock Lesnar. Now only is Lesnar entering the match, but he's entering the match at #1. This would mean there are only 3 spots left to fill for the Raw brand if the rumored plan for WWE to have 10 wrestlers from Raw, SmackDown and NXT compete.

Lesnar being in the match would suggest that the title will be on the line, though it wasn't made clear one way or another. The only other time the reigning champ has been in the Rumble match itself was back in 2016 with Roman Reigns as champion only for him to be eliminated by Triple H so Trips could win the title for the 9th time in his career. I suppose WWE could still have Lesnar in the match with the title not being on the line, though it makes no real sense and flies in the face of Lesnar bragging about being able to "conquer the universe" and all that as if he loses, he hasn't really lost anything.

I have a bad feeling about this in that I feel this match will be sort of another love letter to Lesnar from Vince. I don't believe Lesnar will win the match, I just don't see him staying out there the entire 1 hour+ this match usually takes, but I do have a feeling he'll wind up making most of the other men in the match look like chumps. They'll come off like scrubs who should be carrying Lesnar's bags to and from his rental car rather than someone worthy to challenge him for the title because Vince LOVES seeing displays of alpha male bullshit, even when it's at the expense of much of the rest of the roster. As a result, I won't be at all surprised if fully half of the 30 men in the match wind up being eliminated by Lesnar, many of them in short order, before he winds up being eliminated by one person in particular or a group of them manages to hang on in the match and get Lesnar out, thus guaranteeing a new champion. Given the brand split, you're all but certain that someone from Raw wins the match and that the challenger for the Universal Championship is determined at a later time. Thus far, of those on the Raw side of things, the only match that I think has any real interest to me would be if McIntyre wins the Rumble, becomes the new champ and Lesnar gets his rematch for the title against Drew and WrestleMania. We've seen Lesnar devastate Mysterio, Reigns is on SmackDown and even if he wasn't he vs. Lesnar has been done to death, Styles has shown he can get a great match out of Lesnar but everyone already knows the outcome the second it looks it'd happen, Erick Rowan's nowhere near ready, Orton vs. Lesnar will be a snoozefest and we've already see Lesnar devastate Orton a few years back, Ricochet could get a good match from Lesnar but I just don't see him winning the title at RR, let alone retain in a rematch against Lesnar. You figure that Seth Rollins will be one of the other guys from Raw in the match and the other being Samoa Joe or Kevin Owens or both if WWE really isn't planning on having 10 men from each brand in the match. If they are then, as of right now, McIntyre is probably the only viable guy.

I've really enjoyed the last couple of Royal Rumble matches as they've changed the formula in which you didn't have a single wrestler go out there and be ultra dominant and eliminate 8, 10 or 12 guys, which helped to give the matches more of a "anyone can win" feel. I think they'll be abandoning that formula this time around, however, for Lesnar since Vince can't resist an opportunity to make him look all but untouchable, even though he's done it so often that it's redundant by this point.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

According to WrestleVotes, Lesnar will not be defending the WWE Championship in the Rumble match nor will he wind up winning the match itself. So this clears up a few things, if true, and it may well be used as a means of setting up whomever he'll face at WrestleMania.

Also, there were a few rumors flying about that two of the matches being talked about would be Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez and Lesnar vs. Tyson Fury but neither of those matches will be happening, Praise the Lord.

Conan Of Cimmeria

3. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's being set up so you're surprised when Lesnar is eliminated first.

5. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You should put that but from Wrestlevotes in spoilers. I've stopped following those sites to try get more enjoyment.

It's a strange move but its one I'm interested in watching which is what matters I guess.

7. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Big Show is obviously going to win this. How could anyone ever eliminate him?

9. Likes #AbsoluteUnit, smarkmouth, mrluck_07 liked this post
    Gazzoline Deluxe Champion! Mutant Snowmen Champion! Monstor buster Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I know who I want to see eliminate Brock Lesnar, and see him beat Lesnar at Mania. It won't happen because the fans will likely shit on it.

Click for Spoiler:

I'm not crazy. OK well maybe not entirely crazy. But it'd turn Lesnar (who needs a bit of a change of pace) a bit and really give him a big win which he needs to be believed on the upper card, since he really hasn't won a ton of big matches.
    IYO SKY, Shotzi, Bayley, Gigi Dolan, Alba Fyre, Asuka, Kayla Braxton.

Quote Originally Posted by #RicSolarFlair View Post
    It's good having trooper back.
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Still Here. LD regular.

11. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Running the fantasy league has really gotten to you, Storm Trooper. Maybe you should let me and someone else take over for a while?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    I know who I want to see eliminate Brock Lesnar, and see him beat Lesnar at Mania. It won't happen because the fans will likely shit on it.

Click for Spoiler:

I'm not crazy. OK well maybe not entirely crazy. But it'd turn Lesnar (who needs a bit of a change of pace) a bit and really give him a big win which he needs to be believed on the upper card, since he really hasn't won a ton of big matches.
    I'll keep your spoiler a secret, but if his WM match last year as well as his current title haven't given him enough credibility, I don't think winning the rumble will. They have booked him so poorly, giving him opportunity and taking it away. Starting a couple years ago when he could have been champ. I hope they don't have him win, because honestly, I don't think they would pull the trigger on having him take the title off brock, fiend, or even Cole

Gazzoline Deluxe Champion! Mutant Snowmen Champion! Monstor buster Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Running the fantasy league has really gotten to you, Storm Trooper. Maybe you should let me and someone else take over for a while?
    Quote Originally Posted by JHOLCOMB22 View Post
    I'll keep your spoiler a secret, but if his WM match last year as well as his current title haven't given him enough credibility, I don't think winning the rumble will. They have booked him so poorly, giving him opportunity and taking it away. Starting a couple years ago when he could have been champ. I hope they don't have him win, because honestly, I don't think they would pull the trigger on having him take the title off brock, fiend, or even Cole
    Part of it is just being a fan of his. Part of it is trying to fix their creative fuckups. Naturally the best way is to give him 5 months off TV then get him back with a big win. But the 2nd best is to just give him a big win.

Imagine the fans shitting on him winning, it'd be glorious.
    IYO SKY, Shotzi, Bayley, Gigi Dolan, Alba Fyre, Asuka, Kayla Braxton.

Quote Originally Posted by #RicSolarFlair View Post
    It's good having trooper back.
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Still Here. LD regular.

15. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post
    There are some rumors going around that Cain Velasquez might be part of the Royal Rumble which, of course, has led to speculation that WWE will be doing Lesnar vs. Velasquez at WrestleMania.

To me, this is the worst case scenario because Cain Velasquez sucks. The man needs to get himself into shape, he needs to focus on being properly trained if he wants to wrestle in WWE and his bout with Lesnar at Crown Jewel was one of the worst of 2019. It's easy to see, however, that Vince could go down this path because this will generate all kinds of mainstream media coverage and Vince will sacrifice quality for flash any ol' day of the week and twice on Sunday, especially for the biggest show of the year.

Too often, Vince equates flash and pomp along with how much attention WWE gets with quality instead of putting on high quality wrestling matches and it's part of what's led to a revival of the indie scene, the rising fortunes of New Japan and the formation of All Elite Wrestling. In the case of Lesnar vs. Velasquez, it's another example of courting headlines rather than paying attention to fan interests and likes. After all, I wonder how many on the WWE roster, in all of wrestling period for that matter, would consider it one giant pecker slap to both cheeks to see Cain Velasquez win the WWE Championship in what would probably be only his 4th, maybe 5th match? I assume he'd wrestle at least 2 or 3 times between the end of the Rumble and WrestleMania.

Conan Of Cimmeria

17. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information