Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impact Spinning the Callihan/Edwards Baaseball Bat Botch into a Positive

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Impact Spinning the Callihan/Edwards Baaseball Bat Botch into a Positive

Even TMZ is picking up on it now, interviewing Edwards about the botched spot:

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/...eddie-edwards/

It's kind of amazing how something they caught a lot of heat for (Cornette is probably still fuming as you read this) they've been able to spin into positive PR for the company. That promo Callihan cut about not being sorry about any of it was great. Their feud wasn't half bad to begin with, but all of a sudden it's must-see.

And this coming on the heels of drawing a 2018 high in viewership numbers that seem to be gradually improving by the month? Not bad, Don Callis and Scott D'Amore. Not bad at all!

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youâ??re a good loser, youâ??re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

2. Likes jmt225 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hardly say it's a positive but he's using it to push himself as a heel. Smart work really but definitely not a positive.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's been picked up by TMZ, and has gotten more eyes on the product, even if it's for a "bad" reason. I fail to see how that isn't a net positive.

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youâ??re a good loser, youâ??re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    TMZ always pick up wrestling stories, there's one about Sunny getting a DUI just below it. Who's going to see "shit his eye socket is fucked" and then decide to watch TNA? Even the TMZ article says that Calihan feels really bad about it which negates the storyline in the above article.

Here's the TMZ article:
    http://www.tmz.com/category/tmzsport..._Nav_TMZSports

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you go with the adage that no press is bad press, then yeah, this is great for the company. I agree with Lee, Callahan using this to push his character is smart, but there isn't going to be a single person who reads a story about a botched spot that should have never taken place to start with and see that said botch resulted in a hospitalization and go "Man, I need to watch this Impact stuff."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    People like Cornette and Kassius Ohno are calling him out over the incident on social media, and he's spinning it. You can argue about the taste of the move and indeed you can question if illustrating how careless a performer was in quite seriously injuring a fellow professional is a smart move, but it's certainly making Callahan genuinely unpopular and that could become a good thing if they can market him effectively.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    On second thought, I suppose I overspoke. I think you guys are right, though, in that, at the very least, Callihan has been able to market himself as an even bigger, more dastardly heel because of this. Impact happens to benefit from that, though, given he's under contract to them. Anyone catching wind of this who may tune in to see what comes of it, even if that comes as a result of negative stigma, is still tuning in. So, sure, if we want to chalk it up to "no press is bad press", then I agree.

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    All I'll say about it is this...this is the first I've heard of TNA in a very long time and it's the first time I've heard either of these two names in TNA. And I didn't know Lashley was still in TNA until this video.

Is it more likely to get me to watch? No, but at least I've heard of something now.

10. Likes It's Damn Real! liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Progress of a kind, right?

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wrestling is wrestling. If you've got something that happened on TV and the press are picking up on it, it's best to try and spin it into something positive. As Yaz pointed out, even bad press is still press. It's pretty evident that this was a genuine mistake - a stupid one to begin with but still a genuine mistake. Regardless it just makes good sense to make any sort of positive you can.

Thread Information