Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yaz's Journey In The Pro Wrestling Business

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yaz's Journey In The Pro Wrestling Business

So six months ago, I was in a bit of a rut and decided to reach out to a friend I went to school with who wrestles for a local promotion. I asked him how he got his start and told him I always had an interest in somehow working in the business and he told me if I wanted, he would talk to the owner of the promotion and get my foot in the door.

A couple of weeks later the owner invited me to a show and spoke with me after it was over and by the start of August I was working with them. I started off in a staff role to prove to them I was reliable. After a couple of shows, the owner invited me to train. I'm still nowhere near ring ready, but I've been doing it long enough that it hurts less after each training session and I've learned a few things I never knew as a fan.

Our promotion runs shows in Northwest Kentucky and Southwest Indiana, usually out of five cities in the area. We have shows most Saturdays, someone did the math once and ever since the promotion started to branch away from its "home city" they average 43 shows a year. At least once a month, we have shows we put on Youtube, Hysteria. We had our 100th episode of Hysteria in December and our 101st episode is set to release Tuesday.

We average about a hundred people per show at our Kentucky shows, and about one fifty at our Indiana shows, the city in Indiana simply has a bigger venue. I'm told the largest crowd the company has had since 2011 was just over 650 people. Since I joined our largest crowd was 406. We have over 10k Facebook fans as well.

On the flip side, I've experienced our version of the old "wrestling in front of 50 people in a bingo hall." Only difference was ours was in a National Guard armory and a Salvation Army rec center.

Most of our talent consists of guys who have been with the company since they were putting on shows in a ring in the backyard to entertain themselves over ten years ago, though once the owner got a promoter's license in 2011, they have brought in name talent. Before I got there, they have had names such as Matt Hardy, Carlito, James Storm, and Abyss to wrestle and names such as Vader and Tatanka for meet and greets. Since I started we have brought in names ranging from Tommy Dreamer to Joey Ryan to Corey Storm to Glacier (yes WCW Glacier) to wrestle and had names such as Bobby Eaton and Jimmy Hart for meet and greets, among others. While neither are mainstream names, Corey Storm and Myron Reed both trained and given some of their early breaks with the promotion.

I've also given a hand to a couple promotions that our guys have worked for, giving me the opportunity to meet a really diverse set of characters.

So by this point, you may be asking yourself what the point of this is? Well its partly to share some stories about my experiences as a staff member/trainee for an independent wrestling promotion, partly to answer questions you may have and share my somewhat unique perspective, and somewhat to just vent about the bad shit you see, and believe me you do see some bad carny shit.

So please feel free to ask anything you wish, and please allow me to indulge myself a little as I talk about my journey thus far and going forward.

Cheap plug for our Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCan...ODq6w5gv_YuHZQ

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Good for you! Glad to see you pursuing an interest.

I see from your Facebook page, you all are promoting a show from Paducah. That's actually relatively close to me. Been there many times...decent enough place.

3. Likes Yaz liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That's awesome dude. I hope everything works out for you.

What have you learned thus far?

5. Likes Yaz liked this post
    Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This is a pleasure to read dude. Proud to see you pursue this!

7. Likes Yaz, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Props Yaz, what's your wrestling name?
    Rhea, Bianca, Mandy, Tiffany, and Raquel featuring Scarlett

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    #RicSolarFlair you're kb
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    RHEA'S ON NXT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #RSF'S WATCHING NXT TOMORROW!

9. Likes Yaz liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Good for you! Glad to see you pursuing an interest.

I see from your Facebook page, you all are promoting a show from Paducah. That's actually relatively close to me. Been there many times...decent enough place.
    We started running shows there just a few months ago. It's about a two and a half hour drive for most of us, far and away the further away of all the cities in our routine sites. Its not a bad place and the crowd is usually solid. Just driving that far home at 1am after a long day is terrible, especially when you go by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SSJPhenom View Post
    That's awesome dude. I hope everything works out for you.

What have you learned thus far?
    There are four main bumps. Back bump, flat bump, flip bump, and ass bump. An overwhelming majority of impact moves end in one of those, so those were what I learned first. Flat bumps hurt the most because you are falling flat and forward.

Running the ropes was next and it's a lot more draining than I thought. Like its not uncommon to get blown up after about thirty seconds of back and forth. I was really surprised by just how much spring you can get on the ropes. Like our ring is 18x18, WWE ring is 20x20, and if you run at a moderate pace and hit properly your momentum from the rebound will carry you across the ring easily if you don't work to stop it.

Lock ups and basic holds were next and then onto learning the universal. It's the most basic sequence in North American wrestling. Lock up, headlock, shoot off the ropes, shoulder block, float over, leapfrog/clothesline, and then hip toss. The hip toss is the first actual impact move most of us learned. Then it was arm drags, body slams, back suplexes (which I'm told I'm damn good at), regular suplexes, DDTs, back body drops, drop toe holds, and school boys and small packages were all in the next moves we learned. So far the only strikes we have learned are front kicks and chops. Chops are far and away the most painful thing I have experienced outside of botches.

Outside of that it's mostly been some basic psychology stuff, like facial selling and selling to the hard cam. We also did a few crowd interaction things for singles and tag matches.

Quote Originally Posted by #RicSolarFlair View Post
    Props Yaz, what's your wrestling name?
    I don't have one yet. Realistically I likely won't get serious ideas about gimmicks and such until May and then won't be ready for a debut until like July/August.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That's awesome. I've only ever been in a real wrestling ring twice and I called myself trying to take bumps. THEY HURT!!! Running ropes also hurts. I had what they called rope burn and welts on my back from it. So props to you for sticking with it and continuing the grind. It takes a lot of work and it's not for everyone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Cool man. I always thought about doing something like that but had no idea how to even begin going about it. Plus, I probably wouldn't have had the balls, so major respect to you.

Have you thought about what your end goal is or are you just going with the flow for now?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSJPhenom View Post
    That's awesome. I've only ever been in a real wrestling ring twice and I called myself trying to take bumps. THEY HURT!!! Running ropes also hurts. I had what they called rope burn and welts on my back from it. So props to you for sticking with it and continuing the grind. It takes a lot of work and it's not for everyone.
    I've tore skin off my elbow a couple times from landing wrong on back bumps. That's really the worst I've hurt myself taking a solo bump, other than smashing my dick and balls on flat bumps. I have had rope burn a couple times from hitting at the wrong angle. Personally the worst part about that, and really most of the pain that you experience from bumps and such, is that it rarely hurts right away but once you stop and be done for the day, it really sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by OYDK View Post
    Cool man. I always thought about doing something like that but had no idea how to even begin going about it. Plus, I probably wouldn't have had the balls, so major respect to you.

Have you thought about what your end goal is or are you just going with the flow for now?
    Little of column A, little of column B.

My favorite wrestlers tend to be people who are characters and aren't overly serious all the time, so I don't really feel the need to be like a top champion. Like you always wanna strive for the best, but if that never happens I'm not gonna be upset. I won't feel like I've failed. Like my ultimate goal, I guess I want to be good enough one day to travel a little just to say I experienced that, but as of right now I'm just taking it one day at a time and seeing what doors open in the future. I have zero delusions about making it somewhere big, but being a guy who is a regional name would be amazing.

14. Likes Fallout, OYDK liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's really awesome to see someone not only get involved in the business, but actually take to the ring and get involved.

One thing I will ask though: How safe is it and how much is that emphasised in the process. One of the main things that stopped me seriously considering trying wrestling was the danger of permanent injury to the neck or head region, but I also know working a purely simple style without being a heel can be very boring to watch. How can you achieve the balance of being exciting in the ring whilst still prioritising the safety of yourself and the other worker?

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Thread Information