Thread: Trips Wants The Rainmaker?

Trips Wants The Rainmaker?

There's a rumor going about on a few sites, wrestlingrumors.net for example, that Triple H is highly determined to sign Kazuchicka Okada once his current contract with New Japan Pro Wrestling expires. The reports I've read use the word "obsessed" as far as signing Okada goes. The sites allege that Trips closely follows Okada's work and often will show it to others within the company.

I could buy into this. I could see Triple H noticing the potential worth of a possibly the biggest non-American wrestling star in the world right now working for WWE. The problem is that I don't think it's too likely to happen. Okada is another one of these guys who considers what he does art, he enjoys and has enjoyed a large degree of creative control for himself, is and has been the most paid guy in New Japan for a long time and is given all the time he wants for his matches. In other words, Okada knows that he's worth a lot to New Japan and has been smart enough to make the most of it by getting what he can and as much as he can get of it. I think in order to get Okada remotely interested, WWE would basically have to promise him the moon and the stars and put it in writing. Okada wouldn't get Brock Lesnar's deal, that's probably a once or twice in a lifetime deal that Vince just won't feel Okada is worth as, outside of Japan, Okada isn't remotely as familiar to fans as Lesnar is. Plus, Lesnar ha always been Vince's Kryptonite in that he's pretty much always been able to get whatever he wants from Vince. Still, in order for Okada to even give it a second thought, it'd probably have to be one of the top deals in the entire history of WWE.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    WWE would like to sign everyone, but there's no way Okada is leaving New Japan.

3. Likes #AbsoluteUnit, Jack-Hammer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well they tried it with Nakamura and he didn't exactly light WWE on fire. He got a good NXT run and a decent start to on the main roster but fizzled out. I doubt Okada wants to do that.

Check Out The Optional Sidequest Podcast. (Please)

5. Likes Jack-Hammer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Can he speak English? If not he will only go so far.

7. Likes Jack-Hammer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Well they tried it with Nakamura and he didn't exactly light WWE on fire. He got a good NXT run and a decent start to on the main roster but fizzled out. I doubt Okada wants to do that.
    I think you also have to consider certain factors about Nakamura and Okada. In the case of Nakamura, and this is just an opinion I've formed based on what he said in various interviews after signing, I think he realized he'd ultimately gone as far as he could in Japan and I think he was also getting tired of the harder hitting style of New Japan. Nakamura will turn 40 in about another 3 weeks and he was already 36 when he made his debut in NXT during WrestleMania weekend against Sami Zayn back in 2016. Nakamura also realistically gone as far in New Japan as he was going, IMO, as he'd already taken their IC title as high as he could and his 3rd run as IWGP Heavyweight Champion had been over for nearly 6 years when he made his NXT debut, so figured he could still make good money in WWE, probably more than he was earning in New Japan, and it wouldn't be as physically demanding inside the ring.

Okada is still very much in his prime right now at age 32. By the time Nakamura was preparing to leave New Japan, Okada was in the midst of his third run as IWGP Heavyweight Champion and was embroiled in programs with Naito and would soon start his programs with Kenny Omega that got the attention of the rest of the world. Right now, Okada is considered the most dominant main eventer in New Japan history; he's held the top tital in New Japan for a total 0f 1,790 days, which is longer than anyone else by another 396 days, he's had the most cumulative successful defenses with a total of 30 and his 4th run of 720 days is the single longest in the history of the title. Even though he dropped the strap to Naito at WK 13 roughly a month ago, it's all but written in the stars that Okada will regain the title. So yeah, Okada is still the top guy in New Japan, championship or no championship, and is easily the highest paid guy in the company, is pretty much allowed all the time he wants for his matches, is pretty much allowed to do what he wants to do creatively and, as I said, is only 32 years old.

The only remotely possible ways I could see WWE luring him away would be if they just simply made him a contract offer that was so over the top that it'd be impossible to refuse and/or Okada feels he's done all he can in New Japan and wants a challenge. As far as the contract goes, I'm thinking "over the top" would be something simiar to Brock Lesnar in which he wrestles only a handful of times a year and winds up making anywhere from 3 to 4 times that of anybody else in the company but I don't see Vince going for that for Okada.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

9. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Okada won't light the WWE on fire either. Not more so than Daniel Bryan or AJ Styles have already done. He might be WWE or Universal champion for a bit but he won't be Brock, Cena, Edge, or Orton level. Nakamura's had a great run. He was a main event player for a while and was given the Royal Rumble spotlight. I think a lot of people overrated Nak too. I knew he'd be in WWE what Great Muta was in WCW and that's basically whats happened.

Thread Information