Thread: Rey Mysterio Possibly Injured?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rey Mysterio Possibly Injured?

Just as rumors of him returning to WWE full-time have been going around, Rey Mysterio Jr. (Oscar Gutierrez) looks to have been injured.

Mysterio Jr. believed last night that he had torn his left biceps in a tag team match teaming with Flip Gordon against Joey Mercury & Caleb Konley in Waterbury, Connecticut for Northeast Wrestling.

We don't have details other than he believed the muscle was torn during the match. There was heavy swelling in the arm according to those who saw him after the match but at this point we don't have confirmation of the extent of the injury.

Mysterio Jr. told Mercury during the match about the injury and Mercury was ready to call an audible on the finish, but Mysterio Jr. immediately did the set up for a double 619 and ended up getting the win for his team by pinning Konley with a splash off the top rope.
    Source: f4wonline

If this is true its going to be very interesting to see what happens with Cena and the title match on Sunday next week. Truth be told, I've never thought that it was going to be Mysterio against Cena because I'm still of the mindset that Taker will return and work the match. That said, Mysterio was a good replacement for Taker and someone that the crowd would have loved to see back in a WWE ring and at a WrestleMania.

A torn biceps is a tough injury, if this turns out to be genuine. Dare McIntyre recently got the same injury in his match with Cien Almas and MIGHT just be back in time for WrestleMania. At this rate, Rey might not wrestler again until the middle of the year. A real shame for Rey and for the WWE if they were trying to sign him back up.

I read about it myself just a few minutes ago. If true, then it's not really the sort of injury I figured for Mysterio. Any sort of injury can happen at any given time, of course, but you always expect it to be something to do with the knees when it comes to Mysterio, given his long and detailed history of knee injuries. If it's legit, then not only will Mysterio almost certainly not be able to compete at WrestleMania but it might just put the kibosh on the negotiations for him to return to WWE period.

If given a choice between Taker vs. Cena or Mysterio vs. Cena, I'd prefer the latter as Taker just can't go competitively in the ring anymore. Maybe the whole thing with Mysterio taking on Cena was always something of a swerve but it doesn't really matter one way or another if the injury is legit. Torn muscles, depending on just how severe, can sometimes take the better part of a year to recover from. McIntyre is out with torn biceps, as Dave pointed out, while Dean Ambrose is out with a torn triceps and could be out "for up to 9 months."

IF Taker really isn't working and Mysterio can't work, then don't be surprised if they wind up shoehorning John Cena into the WWE Championship match at WrestleMania. Everyone wants Styles vs. Nakamura 1 on 1, but you know that WWE isn't gonna just leave John Cena, of all people, out in the cold at WrestleMania wiout being in one of the top matches. If push comes to shove, I'd rather they shoehorned him into the United States Championship picture. Cena did great things as US champ and for the title itself and it'd keep the integrity of being the Royal Rumble winner in tact.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Thread Information