Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who are your top five favorite wrestlers today?

Men

1. Daniel Bryan - No wrestler in the last decade has made me care remotely as much about what they're doing, who they are and what they're going through, as a person or performer, as Daniel Bryan. I LOVE that he's so far removed from Vince McMahon's notion of what a "WWE Superstar" is supposed to be and will go down as one of the men who helped make smaller or more "normal" looking wrestlers potential stars in WWE.

2. Bray Wyatt - I've been a fan of Bray Wyatt since the NXT days. He has a fantastically creative mind and has come up with two of the most interesting personas and angles in WWE during the last decade. What should happen, IMO, is Vince should just shut up, give Wyatt full creative control over himself and tell him to go nuts so we can watch the greatness unfold.

3. Finn Balor - Finn Balor has become interesting since being back in NXT and becoming heel. He has a confidence, a swagger about him that just didn't seem to be there on Raw or SmackDown. "The Prince" is and has been doing great stuff in NXT and NXT is showing the "main roster" once again how simplicity done right almost always shines through.

4. Chris Jericho - In my opinion, Chris Jericho is by far and away the most important element to AEW's success at this point. Jericho has done some of the best work in a very long time, which is saying a lot as he's done great stuff in WWE but he feels rejuvenated here. Yes, he's older, his physique is going south and he's put on some weight but the charisma is still as white hot as ever before. While I think it's probably time for Jericho to drop the title, AEW should keep him as a top tier star for as long as they possibly can as he's just too damn good to lose.

5. Pete Dunne - Something about Dunne just clicks with me. He's not flashy, he's not popping off one liners on the mic, he doesn't shout catchphrases, etc.. He puts me in mind of a young, less buff Chris Benoit in that he comes off as this brawler, this scrapper who lets his abilities in the ring do much of his talking. Add to that a dash of Daniel Bryan and maybe a little bit of William Regal and a few other British grapplers and you've got a recipe for Dunne. I'd like to see him turned loose on the mic to give an intense, passion filled promo just to see if he can really dig down deep and pull something out.

Women

1. Shayna Baszler - Shayna would've been in my top 5 anyhow but she moved up to #1 this week due to something I read on her. On Twitter, a guy messaged her and said that he didn't like her swearing while he was watching with his kids and thinks WWE should be all PG or not. Shayna responded by saying, roughly, that the guy should be a father and use this as a teachable moment to his kids to explain why Shayna is a bad person, how only bad people use bad words the way she did and that it's also not up to her to modify herself for the sake of this guy or his kids. Apparently, the guy was just fine with Shayna, kayfabe, ripping a chunk of flesh from the back of Becky Lynch's neck with her teeth while blood dribbled down her face and chin but God forbid somebody use a good ol' cuss word in front of his brats. Shayna has been consistently strong, a great character and has made the transition from MMA to wrestling look easy. There's an aura about Shayna in which she comes off like a believable badass female that I never sensed in Ronda Rousey; even though Rousey is a badass with great accomplishments and a win/loss record to back it up, she's also gotten just as famous for using the fact that she's quite pretty to boost her star power as well.

2. Rhea Ripley - I've enjoyed Rhea Ripley since her time in NXT UK. She's only 23 years old but she's also someone who came up through wrestling by spending most of her teen years doing it. She carries herself like a star, looks like a star in the ring, has a unique look and persona while coming off as a "tough chick" sho also is kinda sexy.

3. Becky Lynch - I think the best thing about Becky Lynch, at least for me, is that she still comes off as a hungry bitch with a chip on her shoulder with something to prove. She's been Raw Women's Champion for almost a year but her "the Man" character hasn't lost that drive to keep showing she's the best. She also can deliver promos better than almost anybody in WWE if you want someone who sounds like they're passionate, which I think is where those acting classes she took years back paid off. Even if she's doing something that's scripted, she has the training to take what's on the page and make it sound like it's her own words.

4. Io Shirai - Io Shirai is an example of a woman who doesn't need to say a whole lot as she gets her point across with her mannerisms, her looks and her in-ring abilities. She's out with a knee injury right now, which is unfortunate, and it wouldn't bother me at all if she ultimately winds up being the woman to take the title off Ripley at a later date. Like, Nakamura, Asuka and Kairi Sane, she doesn't utilize the whole American wrestler charisma in which she gabs all the time on the mic but utilizes her charisma in different ways that NXT knows how to use. She's also so crisp inside the ring that she's one of the handful of Japanese wrestlers I've seen, male or female, who holds up to the hype Dave Meltzer has heaped upon her.

5. The Kabuki Warriors - Asuka and Kairi Sane are two women who're underappreciated on the "main roster" because Vince usually doesn't know what to do with them. The old man has very specific ideas in his head as to what works and what doesn't, what gets someone across to fans and what doesn't. As a result, anything that doesn't fall into those, usually, narrow confines don't get used to anything close to their full potential. Both are two of the best women to ever come out of NXT, Asuka was the closest thing we'd seen to Goldberg we'd seen in years, only she was a hundred times better to me because she could actually wrestle whereas Goldberg was protected due to Bischoff booking most of his matches lasting 3 minutes or less. Kairi Sane feels more like a natural babyface than a heel, to me, and I dug her little "Pirate Princess" thing, especially as any and all things involving sailing are among her favorite things to do in life.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    1. Kazuchika Okada - Putting aside the fact he's put on some of the greatest matches I'll ever see just this last decade, I love his look and how he carries himself as a star. There's not a cooler wrestler than Okada, and no one puts on better matches on a consistent basis.

2. AJ Styles - Everything about him has lived up to his nickname for almost 20 years now... phenomenal.

3. Daniel Bryan - One of the best ever.

4. Brock Lesnar - Most unique wrestler of my lifetime. Complete bad ass. Epic matches. Nothing to not love about him.

5. Kota Ibushi - Incredible athlete, awesome look, best fire, great quirkiness... always a joy to watch him perform.

Honorable mentions: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kenny Omega, Cody Rhodes, Undisputed guys, Minoru Suzuki, Charlotte and Alexa Bliss.

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    1: MJF

2: Charlotte

3: Braun Strowman

4: Drew McIntyre

5: Shayna Baszler

Honorable mentions for Keith Lee and Cody Rhodes.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Haven't really kept up all that much last few months but I'm still a fan of Charlotte, MJF, Kofi, Taker, and Darby Allin.

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Thread Information