Thread: Why I Cried During the Final Episode of Wilfred

Why I Cried During the Final Episode of Wilfred

This is an obscure forum where I feel some degree of emotional connection. So this is where I choose to find closure with thoughts that I have, and need to share. I can be vulnerable here, because I'm certain that any discouraging judgement I might receive is wasted on someone who is basically anonymous.

So Wilfred, a show that ran its course 10 years ago. When it first premiered, and everyone was encouraging me to check it out, I passed. That was when the channel FX was desperately trying to establish itself as the second coming of Spike TV, and its programming seemed to dwell heavily on toilet humor and chauvinism.

Fast forward to three weeks ago. I, my Wife, our Son, and our two dorky dogs moved to Texas. I had just managed to get our TVs setup, and my Wife strongly encouraged me to check out Wilfred.

We didn't have Hulu, but her Mom did, so she let us use her account.

I was initially amused by the show, and then I made it to the final episode.

So, dogs. I have had many dog experiences in my life, and of course, they all ended in sad but beautiful ways.

One thing I noticed about the show, that it seems like all other bloggers, critics, and theorists failed to notice.

Wilfred, the dog, not the alter-ego, never abandoned Ryan.

The alter-ego would reflect the dogs dispositions. But Wilfred, the dog, saw a man who was damaged, and refused to let him be alone. Wilfred felt his pain, and Wilfred's only sadness in passing away was that Ryan wouldn't be protected by him anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thread Information