Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam's Thread of Movie Lists and Chit Chat (w/Jake)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sam's Thread of Movie Lists and Chit Chat (w/Jake)

1. Coco ★★★★★
    2. Paddington 2 ★★★★
    3. The Shape of Water ★★★★
    4. Phantom Thread ★★★★
    5. Mute ★★★
    6. Black Panther ★★★
    7. The Cloverfield Paradox ★

I think Paddington 2 is a cheat even by my standards - it was almost certainly released in the UK in 2017 - but it's staying.

Having glanced at the Oscar winners: Guillermo Del Toro deserved it, Jordan Peele deserved it, Frances McDormand deserved it, but lol at Sam Rockwell and Gary Oldman.

2. Likes jmt225, JGlass liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    How Ansel Elgort didn't get nominated for Best Actor and win unanimously I may never know.

4. Likes Uncle Sam liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    But The Fault in Our Stars came out in 2014.

6. Likes JGlass liked this post
    Senior Member TheManTheyCalledNorCal's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I watched Kingsman 2 the other day. I didn't care for it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    1. Lady Bird ★★★★★
    2. Coco ★★★★★
    3. Paddington 2 ★★★★
    4. The Shape of Water ★★★★
    5. Phantom Thread ★★★★
    6. Mute ★★★
    7. Black Panther ★★★
    8. The Cloverfield Paradox ★

I regret to inform you that Guillermo Del Toro did not deserve to win the Oscar for best director.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWolf View Post
    I watched Kingsman 2 the other day. I didn't care for it.
    Veeery difficult to have stakes in a movie in which characters can recover from being shot through the eye.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGlass View Post
    How Ansel Elgort didn't get nominated for Best Actor and win unanimously I may never know.
    Cause Spacey is gay.

Sam, I'm curious. Cloverfield Paradox got a lot of hype and a lot of people I know have raved about it, but when I ask what its about and why they like it, I just get "Its good, you sooooo have to watch it." Why just a single star?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I say this as someone who doesn't really like Event Horizon that much but sees what it's going for and thinks it's kind of fun along the way:

It is like a much worse Event Horizon.

If it was originally conceived as a Netflix movie that people would put on in the background while they got high or masturbated or whatever, I could much better understand what a mess it is. I resent the feeling that I've thought harder about a movie than the people who made it, and I get that feeling all too often with modern science fiction.
    Last edited by Uncle Sam; 03-07-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
    I resent the feeling that I've thought harder about a movie than the people who made it, and I get that feeling all too often with modern science fiction.
    I think this accurately describes the outrage I feel 99% of the time when I dislike a movie. I think it also explains why I was such a big fan of Black Panther and such a big hater on Thor 3. Black Panther felt like it was lovingly crafted while Thor 3 just felt like the director (but moreso the screenwriters) had a bunch of ideas for a movie that they haphazardly strung together into a semi-cohesive story.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Watched The Shape of Water yesterday: why did Jenkins get nominated and not Shannon? One of them is an unconvincing caricature of an old gay man in the 1950s with his hair falling out, the other is an utterly absolutely terrifying monster who epitomises the horrors of post-war masculinity...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I read that post like ten times thinking there was a joke in there about Michael Shannon's character being secretly gay. For what it's worth, I thought Sergi Lopez did a better job with essentially the same character in Pan's Labyrinth (which is not to say Shannon didn't do a great job).

Quote Originally Posted by JGlass View Post
    I think this accurately describes the outrage I feel 99% of the time when I dislike a movie. I think it also explains why I was such a big fan of Black Panther and such a big hater on Thor 3. Black Panther felt like it was lovingly crafted while Thor 3 just felt like the director (but moreso the screenwriters) had a bunch of ideas for a movie that they haphazardly strung together into a semi-cohesive story.
    I can excuse Ragnarok to a degree because that movie's clearly just a series of gags and the only end goals are to destroy Asgard and give Thor a haircut. So, OK, yeah, that description can just as easily be seen as a damning indictment. Maybe it depends on how well and how often the gags land with you. A great idea that Andrew Ellard came up with that would fix a lot of my problems with that movie is to leave Loki on Asgard to oppose Hela and then have to run to Thor for help when he inevitably gets his arse handed to him. Nobody but nobody gives a solitary fuck about Heimdall and the Warriors Three.

I've not had such conflicting feelings about something since I first saw Finn Balor's abs but Black Panther has me torn in two. On one hand, I'm ecstatic that it's doing so well and everybody loves it. On the other, I just don't think it's that good.

14. Likes jmt225, Elizabeth liked this post

Thread Information