Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should WWE Shut Down For A While?

Should WWE Shut Down For A While?

It's been reported on multiple sites that WWE has taped all of its post WrestleMania content for Raw, SmackDown and NXT through April 10th and did it over the course of the past week, including taping much of WrestleMania. However, the Coronavirus pandemic has forced a number of changes to the show, aside from taking place in the WWE PC without fans in attendance, that include some matches. For instance, Rey Mysterio is under quarantine and was pulled from the show where he was supposed to face Andrade for the US title. So, Andrade was paired with Angel Garza to take on the Street Profits for the Raw Tag Team Championship but Andrade was pulled from the show due to the virus. Murphy also wasn't at the tapings due to being sick and even though he didn't have a match, he'd have probably been ringside for Seth Rollins' match against Kevin Owens. The Miz wasn't at the tapings due to being sick, Roman Reigns pulled out of WrestleMania due to concerns of contracting the virus as he has a compromised immune system due to his cancer treatments, etc..

If you spend any time watching the news, this thing isn't going away anytime soon. Anthony Fauci, one of the top men on the White House Coronavirus Task Force, said today that he expects millions of Americans to contract the virus and expects casualties between 100,000 and 200,000 before things finally get under control. I don't know how many others, if any others, share this opinion but it's certainly not comforting.

Over the past few days, there've been stories out stating that really the only one that's wanted WrestleMania to go forward is Vince McMahon himself. Various writers have stated they've talked to a number of employees including wrestlers, commentators, agents, producers, etc. and all have said Vince is really the only force that's pushed for WrestleMania to go on. Of course, nobody's spoken up as they're worried about losing their spot or essentially committing career suicide by outright refusing to work until this virus is gotten under control.

So, should WWE shut itself down until this thing is licked? Considering that just about every other sports league has, considering that production on blockbuster films & TV shows have been postponed along with numerous other businesses from all walks of life, it may be increasingly irresponsible for WWE not to as time goes by. If cases of the virus continue to go up, that's just that much more of a chance of the wrestlers contracting it while they're traveling to and from WWE TV tapings. If things keep going in this direction, it may well be taken out of Vince's hands altogether if the local and state governments in Florida step in. Of course, it'd also be difficult to go on if the wrestlers themselves grew some balls and said they're not working until the situation is under control; that is, if they're legitimately that concerned. I mean, that's especially true for wrestlers like Reigns, Lesnar, Taker, Rollins, Bryan, Charlotte, Becky, Styles, Anderson, Gallows and a few others. Reigns makes a few million a year, Taker probably makes somewhere around a million per match, Lesnar probably makes double that, Rollins & Bryan both probably have downside guarantees in the high six figures and probably make well over a cool million a year. Charlotte & Becky both signed deals worth $1.2 million per year, which is probably a downside guarantee as well. Braun Strowman has the same deal as Charlotte and Becky. Anderson & Gallows both have $700,000 downside guarantees, Styles probably gets around a million, etc.. If the top talents refuse to work, that'd be encouragement to the ones who aren't making as much. I mean, Vince can bluster, whinney, bleat and moo all he wants but he can't put on a show with no talent.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes.

Gazzoline Deluxe Champion! Mutant Snowmen Champion! Monstor buster Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes, WWE should cease filming new programming.

So should AEW. And everyone else in sports, entertainment, media, and virtually everywhere else.
    IYO SKY, Shotzi, Bayley, Gigi Dolan, Alba Fyre, Asuka, Kayla Braxton.

Quote Originally Posted by #RicSolarFlair View Post
    It's good having trooper back.
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Still Here. LD regular.

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Absolutely. Anyone who would blame them for doing it is a moron. These are dramatic circumstances completely out of their control. To persevere is foolhardy at best, and potentially dangerous.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mania should be the end for a while. Imagine the reactions if the post-Mania Raw happens a few months down the line.

Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Shut it down until late July. Imagine how hungry people would be for WWE by then? Plus everyone would be well rested and happy to go back to work for Vince' who has enough money to afford the shut down.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

9. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Definitely. It's a no-brainer.

11. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Should it? Yeah, probably. Will it? Doubtful.
    Rhea, Bianca, Mandy, Tiffany, and Raquel featuring Scarlett

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    #RicSolarFlair you're kb
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    RHEA'S ON NXT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #RSF'S WATCHING NXT TOMORROW!

13. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think a break is a very good idea.
    I think its foolish to blame them continuing all on Vince. I read reports daily about how athletes in every sport (including ones who have had athletes contact the virus) want to go out and play now and would if they could. I think plenty of people, while worried, are still happy to work as long as its safe. Either thats how WWE has been, or they are very good at covering up the fact that anyone has gotten sick.
    They filmed enough through the week after Mania last week sometime because Florida set a deadline. I think they will be forced to take a break from live content whether by choice or not. But they can easily put on shows filled with past content, or past specials, or anything. The library is vast.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It could survive the stoppage, but it?s a scary enough industry I don?t think they?d take the chance. Plus add in the fact that there?s a new startup that can?t afford to shut down, WWE would only stop if it were absolutely necessary.

16. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information