Thread: New WWE Titles Are Coming?

New WWE Titles Are Coming?

The title of the thread may be a tad misleading, though open to interpretation. It could suggest that new title designs are on the way or that WWE will be introducing new championships to the roster. I thought it was the former when I first saw the article headline but it turns out to be the latter, at least according to PWInsider.com.

According to the site, WWE will introduce a WWE Cruiserweight Tag Team Championship sometime following WrestleMania, though details are sparse. There's no mention as to exactly when the titles will be debuted or how the champions will be crowned but the report does say that the final look of the titles was recently decided on. As for how the champs will be decided, you have to suspect that some sort of tournament will be held. I don't see it as something that'll be longer and drawn out like the Cruiserweight Classic or the current tourney for the vacant Cruiserweight Championship.

My initial reaction is that this championship will be completely unnecessary. The Cruiserweight Division itself has only very recently begun to turn itself around, for the better in my opinion, and it seems much too soon for something like this. I always figured that WWE would go the route of introducing tag titles for the women long before something like a CW tag title was really even thought of, though I'm have a feeling that will happen somewhere down the line as well. If this is legit, then I'm not going to condemn it nor am I going to jump for joy; I'm cautiously optimistic since 205 Live is now under Triple H's direct control.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If 205 is going to contine as an semi-independent entity and be an hour long show, then it does require more than one title.

This may well be HHH looking to impose the NXT model on 205. He has already added a GM. And NXT gets by with a tag team division despite only having an hour of programming.

A 205 tag division can also be used to make more of its matches potentially meaningful once we get past the tournament. How many times have we had to sit through pointless tag matches and six-mans? It could also provide another gateway for NXT talent to appear on the main roster, without being thrust straight into a Cruiserweight title feud. A team like Lorcan and Burch could fit right in, feuding against a high-flying duo, maybe a re-formed Lucha Dragons.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think Barbosa has nailed it actually. This really looks like Triple H imposing the NXT model on the Cruiserweight division and that doesn't sound like a bad thing at all. Admittedly, I haven't watched 205 Live since Triple H took it over but by all accounts, it's doing much better than it was.

I'm not going to put an opinion down on whether it will work or not before it has been announced and we see how it will be executed. However, I do think its a smart move. The WWE has made three championships work on a similar show and each championship seems important on NXT. I'm willing to bet that Triple H can make this work too with only 2 championships to concern himself with.

I'm looking forward to it actually. Good luck to them with it. Can't say it'll make me any more likely to watch but you never know.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If Raw gets rid of the cruiserweight division (perhaps a return to a two hour show would be a great time for this), then they can have all the tag titles they want. But as long as there is a cruiserweight division on Raw, the last thing we need is an excuse to get MORE cruiserweights on Raw. When I do get the opportunity to watch, the cruiserweights are always the absolute worst part of the show.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    If Raw gets rid of the cruiserweight division (perhaps a return to a two hour show would be a great time for this), then they can have all the tag titles they want. But as long as there is a cruiserweight division on Raw, the last thing we need is an excuse to get MORE cruiserweights on Raw. When I do get the opportunity to watch, the cruiserweights are always the absolute worst part of the show.
    That's because they are using them as a bathroom break.

I like this idea. But PLEASE, can we also use the Cruiserweights as a spin-off brand, rather than another brand? Let wrestlers jump in and out of RAW and Smackdown and 205. Choose the best from 205 and put them on the main show and have them compete against other people and compete for other championships. Let them be able to be part of both universies and not feel like they are treated as a D show. That way you won't lose guys like Neville and Austin Aries and you could also add bigger names like Balor and Mysterio.

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    To each their own, but you'll be satisfied to know that the Cruiserweights have seemingly been removed from RAW. Haven't been on RAW for a few weeks now.

7. Likes Slyfox696 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by @smarkmouth View Post
    To each their own, but you'll be satisfied to know that the Cruiserweights have seemingly been removed from RAW. Haven't been on RAW for a few weeks now.
    That's awesome. While real life has been wreaking havoc on my spare time, the cruiserweights had just made it nearly impossible to want to watch Raw. Now that they're gone and it appears real life is slowing down, maybe it won't be so bad.

9. Likes FunKay liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    As long as the titles are exclusive to 205 Live, and not defended on Raw, I’m fine with it. There are 20 plus people on the roster, there needs to be something there for the rest of the roster. Personally, I’d love to see them do something unique for the 205 roster, and go ahead and make a Trios Championship. It gives people a reason to tune into something unique to the brand.

11. Likes FunKay liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I like the idea of a trios championship for 205 live like Shocky mentioned above. It would separate them as a midcard and be something unique and exclusive to the brand. I'm for the idea of another title. Whether that be a trios or a straight tag title. It seems as if 205 live has been removed from Raw and has been getting focus as its own show. It definitely has picked up and has been rather enjoyable since Enzo was fired and Spud has been named GM. Hopefully they capitalize on this momentum and keep going strong. I think a new title could provide that nice added spark and some importance rather than random face team facing random heel team.

Though I would like to see some of the CW guys venture out of the division and work with main roster guys. I think a guy like Cedric could be a solid midcard guy for one of the brands down the line.

13. Likes FunKay liked this post

Thread Information